PDA

View Full Version : Why use the warn button?

Remulak
09-29-2008, 04:47 AM
You appear weaker in nature when you do.

erikramza
09-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Cuz people care about internet things, I suppose.

Madame Adequate
09-29-2008, 04:50 AM
The staff already consider the rest of us subhuman scum.

Yar
09-29-2008, 04:53 AM
I don't know. I get mixed messages. I'll be told "don't flame, just hit the warn button," but when I do that, I get insulted for having done so.

erikramza
09-29-2008, 04:54 AM
OMFG YOU USED THE WARN BUTTON, ROFL. YOU SHOULD HAVE FLAMED OMFG INTERNET.

Bunny
09-29-2008, 05:14 AM
From now on, every time I make a post on this message board, I am going to use the warning button for every post above the one I make. I don't recall a rule regarding overuse of this feature, so I cannot get in trouble.

erikramza
09-29-2008, 05:16 AM
Reported poster: Bunny.

You're in trouble now, friend!

Yamaneko
09-29-2008, 05:19 AM
I always got annoyed when people would warn posts because I'd get like ten emails in a row about a single comment.

I don't think I've ever warned a post. Seems pretty sleazy to me.

escobert
09-29-2008, 05:31 AM
To make noobs ask stupid questions.

Ouch!
09-29-2008, 05:34 AM
I use it only on rare occasions. The only one I'm recalling right now was a thread in the FFXI section with links to "help" sites which were more likely "use these and your account will get stolen" sites.

IronOcean
09-29-2008, 05:39 AM
not to sound like a noob but i am ha what exactly does the warn button do?

Bunny
09-29-2008, 05:41 AM

I'm not your friend, buddy.

erikramza
09-29-2008, 05:59 AM

I'm not your friend, buddy.

Think what you will, pal.

Rantz
09-29-2008, 08:12 AM
You appear weaker in nature when you do.

I am weak in nature. In fact my nature might just be my biggest weakness.

The Ceej
09-29-2008, 08:42 AM
I used to use the warn button, but ever since people ganged up on me, and I decided to fight back, and then Rubah called me out (http://forums.eyesonff.com/2570564-post88.html), I've decided the warn button is a thing of the past for me. Now, I'll just either fight back or ignore it. Depends on what the situation warrants.

By the way, that's just Rubah's interpretation of what I did. I used the warn button the way they recommend.

Flying Mullet
09-29-2008, 12:28 PM
not to sound like a noob but i am ha what exactly does the warn button do?
When you warn a post, it links to a window where you can enter some text about why you are warning the post: spamming, flaming, advertising, etc... Then when you submit that page an email is sent to all of the moderators for them to deal with it.

I used to use the warn button, but ever since people ganged up on me, and I decided to fight back, and then Rubah called me out (http://forums.eyesonff.com/2570564-post88.html), I've decided the warn button is a thing of the past for me. Now, I'll just either fight back or ignore it. Depends on what the situation warrants.

By the way, that's just Rubah's interpretation of what I did. I used the warn button the way they recommend.
No Ceej, rubah called you out because after warning several members in the $200 million thread, you continued to flame, instigate and argue, rather than let a moderator take care of things. What you did is like having some kid at school walk up and and punch you, then you go to the teacher and tell them that you were punched, but rather than leave it alone, you walk back to the kid, pick a fight, then try to claim innocence when the teacher comes over and sees you two wrestling on the ground.

<b>In the future, <i>and this goes for several members on this board</i>, if you warn a post, don't post a follow-up yourself on the issue(s). This means if you warn someone(s) for flamming and harassment, don't flame or harass in turn. If you warn a spam thread, don't spam in it after you've warned it. If you warn an advertisement thread, don't post in the thread about it being an advertisement thread.</b> You're all big kids and this shouldn't be that hard to follow. Act with some maturity and respect for each other.

Rantz
09-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Although it was technically hero who called him out. Just saying. :p

Avarice-ness
09-29-2008, 04:21 PM
I only use the warn button when I feel like a threads gotten out of hand enough to get closed, and I also only use it in EoEo.

Aerith's Knight
09-29-2008, 04:24 PM
I'd rather just PM a mod that is online.

Smarter, imo.

Heath
09-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't tend to warn posts. Can't remember if I have in the past, probably have done, but on a number of occasions I've seen a warn-worthy post seconds before or after a mod has anyway and so me warning wouldn't achieve much.

theundeadhero
09-29-2008, 04:40 PM
FM gots my back 'cause he knows what's goin' on.

I used to use the warn button all the time. Sometimes to warn a messege, sometimes to send Levian poems and sometimes to send ShlupQuack love notes.

Psychotic
09-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Why use the New Topic button?

The Ceej
09-29-2008, 07:14 PM
No Ceej, rubah called you out because after warning several members in the $200 million thread, you continued to flame, instigate and argue, rather than let a moderator take care of things. What you did is like having some kid at school walk up and and punch you, then you go to the teacher and tell them that you were punched, but rather than leave it alone, you walk back to the kid, pick a fight, then try to claim innocence when the teacher comes over and sees you two wrestling on the ground.

I was warning because I trusted the mods would take care of it. When I saw that their attempt to do so was pathetic and people continued to flame me, including mods, I decided it was best for me to defend myself. I have a better analogy for you:

That's like if someone robs your house, so you call the police. You know who robbed your house, but the police refuse to do anything about it, and in the process, imply that maybe you should have put better locks on your doors so this thing might not have happened, but refuse to arrest the people that robbed your house. So, you go and punch the people that robbed your house. You know. Take matters into your own hands where the police refuse to do so.

That's what I did. I punched the people who robbed my house, and if the police got punched too in the process, so be it. However, in the future, I'm not calling the police.

Jessweeee♪
09-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I like to use it 'cause it's shaped like a lightning bolt. BZZZT.

Flying Mullet
09-29-2008, 07:31 PM

I was warning because I trusted the mods would take care of it. When I saw that their attempt to do so was pathetic and people continued to flame me, including mods, I decided it was best for me to defend myself. I have a better analogy for you:

That's like if someone robs your house, so you call the police. You know who robbed your house, but the police refuse to do anything about it, and in the process, imply that maybe you should have put better locks on your doors so this thing might not have happened, but refuse to arrest the people that robbed your house. So, you go and punch the people that robbed your house. You know. Take matters into your own hands where the police refuse to do so.

That's what I did. I punched the people who robbed my house, and if the police got punched too in the process, so be it. However, in the future, I'm not calling the police.
How the police, a.k.a. CKs, handle the situation is completely up to the forum staff. If you don't like how it is/was handled, create a thread in private feedback stating so and how you feel it should be resolved. Just because an issue wasn't resolved to your liking doesn't give you the right to "take the law into your own hands" and try to give out the resolution or judgment you deem is fair.

Remulak
09-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Why use the New Topic button?

Why be a moderator at Eyes on Final Fantasy?

Psychotic
09-29-2008, 07:35 PM
My parents said I had to get a job or else I had to move out. They're really proud of me for doing this, you know.

Remulak
09-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I didn't know your parents had such low standards.

Flying Mullet
09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
My parents said I had to get a job or else I had to move out. They're really proud of me for doing this, you know.
So am I Psy. So am I.

Roto13
09-29-2008, 07:42 PM
That's not rubah. :P

rubah
09-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I would just like to say that the rubah mentioned in this thread is not one Allison, but is one Matthew.

Momiji
09-29-2008, 07:43 PM

No, it's nothing like that at all. Quit exaggerating.

Also, if you 'won't call the police' the next time, it's safe to imply they'll come after you. (Been there, done that.) :p

The Ceej
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Whatever they feel they need to do.

Denmark
09-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Why have serious threads in GC?

The Ceej
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Because, as Lunar used to say, the internet is serious business.

Aerith's Knight
09-29-2008, 08:29 PM
http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/3/9/29/f_seriousindem_f8d5174.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/9/29/f_seriousindem_f8d5174.png&srv=img29)

mooglebunni608
09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
I can't remember warning any posts ATM, but I think I warned an annoying forum-advertising PM once. Or someone else did, because the person got banned in like five seconds <3

The Ceej
09-29-2008, 08:46 PM
You can warn PM's now? When did that happen?

Last time I got spam PM's, they just told me to block the bot.

Psychotic
09-29-2008, 08:49 PM
You forward it to a moderator.

Also, Award Guy is not a bot.

Flying Mullet
09-29-2008, 09:20 PM
And just like that, balance is restored to the world.

Seriously guys, take it to PMs and quit trying to one-up each other.

Psychotic
09-29-2008, 09:20 PM
MODERATOR BOT v2.1 INITIALISING SCRIPT: OFF TOPIC POSTS.

[user name] and [user name], please get back on topic. Thank you - [moderator name]

[witty one liner about thread topic, so as to encourage others to post more about this topic]

Flying Mullet
09-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Good job, you had to get Psybot involved...

ljkkjlcm9
09-29-2008, 09:31 PM
I think I usually end up "warning" the initial post of a topic that is posted in the wrong section. But it's typically only a thread I actually have something to say in. So I warn saying wrong place, post something about the topic, with a little comment "This thread will be moved!"

On that note, I rarely ever warn.

THE JACKEL

qwertysaur
09-29-2008, 10:35 PM
So wait, the warn button doesn't send a lightning bolt through the internet that shocks the warned person? :(

scrumpleberry
09-29-2008, 10:40 PM
So wait, the warn button doesn't send a lightning bolt through the internet that shocks the warned person? :(

OH MY GOD NOW I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO IMAGINE EVERY TIME SOME INTERNET MORON PISSES ME OFF

THANK YOU

SO MUCH <3

erikramza
09-29-2008, 10:48 PM
http://ramblingrhodes.mu.nu/archives/normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

rubah
09-29-2008, 11:14 PM
why do you guys keep saying lightning bolt. It's clearly the winamp symbol.

Flying Mullet
09-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Because winamping someone isn't very fun.

Lawr
09-29-2008, 11:27 PM
I never knew a small button could be so influential!

I don't warn trolls, or flame posts, because it's usually pretty fun to just watch people duke it out in logical crusades. I only warn doubleposts, except where I warned Craig once a long time ago for calling someone a bitch, in a very joking manner. From now on, every time I warn a doublepost, I'm gonna do shout-outs to all my peeps--totally against the rules--but I don't care!

HELL YEAH ANARCHY

qwertysaur
09-29-2008, 11:34 PM

OH MY GOD NOW I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO IMAGINE EVERY TIME SOME INTERNET MORON PISSES ME OFF

THANK YOU

SO MUCH <3
Zappy zap zap!

Also on topic:
I warn things like double posts and old threads in the FF forums. Also if I find something that I find really offensive I warn it.

theundeadhero
09-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I never used to say exactly what was wrong with the post. That was most of the fun, saying a little hello and then letting them go to the post to see what was wrong with it.

Loony BoB
09-30-2008, 04:39 PM
I dunno, Mulley. The thought of a giant amp being hurled at someone is pretty satisfying.

NeoTifa
09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
i used it once on an offensive post by ttr. :)

rubah
09-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Warn Button: It really whips the Llama's *sniped*

demondude
09-30-2008, 06:42 PM
I only consider it when I'm drop-dead bored.

Araciel
09-30-2008, 11:58 PM

I wouldn't say that...

Saying 'rest of us' infers some sense of sameness.

Shlup
10-01-2008, 02:40 AM
I only check the warned posts if they just popped in my box, otherwise I can be sure someone has already taken care of it. Even when I do check a fresh one, half the time someone's taking care of it the same time as I am.

It's annoying when people report posts just because "omg they disagreed with me therefore they are FLAMING me so I'mma tell on them" (and I have demonstrated my feelings on that recently) but most of the reports are legit.

RocketMBA
10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
I would think that the Warn button is fun to anger your friends and relatives.

Carl the Llama
10-03-2008, 03:31 AM
I use the warn button somtimes, and cant honestly remember what they were for, but I feel it was always used with justifacation.

Markus. D
10-03-2008, 04:13 AM
I've decided not to bother.

Because~ Swearing Videos are a'okay apparently :3

bipper
10-03-2008, 04:22 AM
Because it is easier and more legal than saying I am going to apply neo trace and come slit your throat, while still getting my point across. Until you realize the staff are usually too busy massaging their own erect egos to do anything or really care about it anyways, so you end up flaming back and getting in trouble despite the fact that the only way to finish a troll off is with acid or flaming, and flaming is free, where as acid is best used for tie-dying T-shirts.

Big D
10-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Warn button's a handy old feature, I use it whenever something nasty comes up. It can help to get stuff taken care of sooner, and it avoids the chance of the mods overlooking something serous. Also, when people use the button it lets the staff know that something's actually bothering them enough to want something done.

Raistlin
10-03-2008, 05:41 AM
I only warn Shlup's posts for being mean to me.

Loony BoB
10-03-2008, 12:39 PM
despite the fact that the only way to finish a troll off is with acid or flaming
...you think that flaming a troll finishes them off? =|

Remulak
10-03-2008, 05:01 PM
That's why Roto13 put me on ignore.

theundeadhero
10-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Because it is easier and more legal than saying I am going to apply neo trace and come slit your throat, while still getting my point across. Until you realize the staff are usually too busy massaging their own erect egos to do anything or really care about it anyways, so you end up flaming back and getting in trouble despite the fact that the only way to finish a troll off is with acid or flaming, and flaming is free, where as acid is best used for tie-dying T-shirts.My ego is HUGE. dawg :jess:

bipper
10-03-2008, 06:18 PM
despite the fact that the only way to finish a troll off is with acid or flaming

It was a D&D reference you turd.

*doh trolled*

My ego is HUGE. dawg

I know :kiss:

rubah
10-03-2008, 06:21 PM

You think acid doesn't?

Lawr
10-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Because it is easier and more legal than saying I am going to apply neo trace and come slit your throat, while still getting my point across. Until you realize the staff are usually too busy massaging their own erect egos to do anything or really care about it anyways, so you end up flaming back and getting in trouble despite the fact that the only way to finish a troll off is with acid or flaming, and flaming is free, where as acid is best used for tie-dying T-shirts.

Is this a Baldur's Gate reference?

Edit

*doh trolled*

So D&D too!

fire_of_avalon
10-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Stop confusing me with your avatar.

I always got annoyed when people would warn posts because I'd get like ten emails in a row about a single comment.

I don't think I've ever warned a post. Seems pretty sleazy to me.
Way to ruin our image ;_;

Uh. Seeing as how no one but us secretive, tight-mouthed not-at-all gossipy staffers *cough* are the only one's to see the warned post, fear not spineless EoFFers. Your shame is safe with us. ;)

Flying Mullet
10-03-2008, 09:27 PM

Is this a Baldur's Gate reference?

Edit

*doh trolled*

So D&D too!
Isn't Baldur's Gate D&D?

Raistlin
10-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Baldur's Gate is based on a campaign setting for D&D, that being Forgotten Realms, if I remember correctly.

Madame Adequate
10-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Stop confusing me with your avatar.

rubah's fault.

bipper
10-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Baldur's Gate is based on a campaign setting for D&D, that being Forgotten Realms, if I remember correctly.

Lol, yeap, that is correct. It uses AD&D rules, so they are a bit dated. lol THACO.

Spatvark
10-04-2008, 10:18 AM
My ego is HUGE. dawg :jess:

It's the only thing of yours that is.