PDA

View Full Version : On or off?

louby_4eva
09-30-2008, 11:15 PM
My laptop is being really weird. Sometimes (quite often) when I shut it down it takes about ten minutes to shut down and then just turns itself back on again. A screen comes up saying something about an 'unexpected shutdown' and then I'm asked whether or not I want to start it in safe mode. I don't want to start it at all, I want it off.

Anyway, after starting it up again I then shut it down...again and it will then turn off. I really don't understand why it keeps doing it.
Thanks for any help.

Smile and Be happy :love:

Big D
09-30-2008, 11:44 PM
When my old laptop's motherboard started dying, its shutdown would sometimes be erratic and buggy like that. Does it ever switch itself off spontaneously? I mean, when you're not trying to shut it down or anything? I'm not going to leap to any conclusions or diagnoses, but some of what you're describing is familiar.

louby_4eva
09-30-2008, 11:49 PM
No, it only happens when I try and shut it down. Other than that it's fine. I only bought it about....4 months ago I think, maybe 3 months ago, so it's not getting old and hopefully the motherboard isn't dying already.

EDIT: I can't turn my laptop off. I've just tried five times and each time it's turned back on...I want to go to bed :(

crono_logical
10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Are you sure you're saying shutdown and not restart? :p

Holding the power button down for 4 seconds will do the trick with most computers these days too :p

louby_4eva
10-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I do know the difference between shut down and restart :P although I'm tempted to press restart and see if it shuts down :P

p.s. managed to get it to stay off on the seventh attempt last night :D :D :D

crono_logical
10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
remove battery and power cord would also work :p

louby_4eva
10-02-2008, 01:17 AM
That won't fix the problem though :( I also have no idea how to remove the battery :p

Lawr
10-02-2008, 02:27 AM
I say you hold the Power button until it shuts off. That'll show that arrogant box of microchips what for! :mad2:

louby_4eva
10-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Just thought I'd say i think I've fixed it. Last night a blue screen came on saying something about power and possibly because of new software so I got rid of msn messenger plus and viola :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love: