PDA

View Full Version : Winamp lameness

Roto13
10-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Winamp crashes whenever I try to start it up. I uninstalled and when I tried to reinstall it, it said that it couldn't access nscrt.dll, elevatorps.dll, or elevator.exe. I found them and I couldn't delete them so I restarted the computer and tried again. I managed to delete them this time. When I finished installing and tried to start it up again, it crashed and AVG gave me some warning about zlib.dll.

Help me.

Momiji
10-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Winamp crashes whenever I try to start it up. I uninstalled and when I tried to reinstall it, it said that it couldn't access nscrt.dll, elevatorps.dll, or elevator.exe. I found them and I couldn't delete them so I restarted the computer and tried again. I managed to delete them this time. When I finished installing and tried to start it up again, it crashed and AVG gave me some warning about zlib.dll.

Help me.

I had something similar, but I never had an AVG warning or anything. It worked when I reinstalled it though, so I can't help you there.

Perhaps the installer you downloaded got corrupted? Try redownloading and reinstalling that. Just a guess.

Roto13
10-02-2008, 06:50 AM
I redownloaded it like five times. :P

Momiji
10-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Psssst

....what, I don't want to break the chain

Anyway, I don't know what to tell you. Have you tried downloading the .dll files separately?

crono_logical
10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
when you uninstall winamp, also delete all traces of it's folders, since it can leave stuff behind, like in Program Files, before you reinstall it :p

Other possiblities include a virus deeper in the system, hence the alert and the weird files it was trying to access (why the heck does it need to access an .exe of all things?), I suggest you reinstall Windows :D

Personally, I prefer foobar2000 as an audio player under Windows anyway :p

Roto13
10-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I looked up what those three files were last night, and according to the Winamp forums, elevator.exe is necessary to allow Winamp to do things without those security notices and stuff in Vista.

Anyway, I don't know what the hell happened, but it's working now. >_> It wasn't working last night and I haven't restarted since then, but now it's working ok. (Except all of my bookmarks and things are gone. Bah.)

Rantz
10-02-2008, 05:28 PM
The elevator.exe and dll things have to do with Vista UAC and are not viruses AFAIK. Do you have UAC activated? If so, maybe try and except Winamp from it, although I doubt it'll make a difference. I'm late to the party, it seems.

But yes, foobar2000 whips the llama's bottom better than Winamp does. :)

Rostum
10-03-2008, 11:57 PM

I prefer an interface that doesn't look like its from 1999.

Rantz
10-04-2008, 12:44 PM

I prefer an interface that doesn't look like its from 1999.

I like the simplicity of the default interface, but it's far more customizable than Winamp and there are lots of skins to install. Attached my current setup.