PDA

View Full Version : The voice in Cloud's head (spoilers)

White Queen
10-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Who exactly is the voice in Cloud's head? I've heard several answers - Sephiroth, Zack, Jenova, the 'real' Cloud - but I'm still wondering. I'm suspecting it's Cloud's true consciousness, as he no longer hears it after he 'discovers' himself again in the Lifestream with Tifa.
Any theories? I've never really paid attention to who it may be but I recently started a new FF7 game and it's gotten me wondering...
:mog:

Wolf Kanno
10-02-2008, 05:40 PM
It's Cloud's Trus self or consciousness...or however you wish to define but basically, its the true Cloud.

Bolivar
10-02-2008, 06:58 PM
It's Sephiroth. He's controlling all of the "clones" from the Northern Crater. The voice is purposely messing with him, telling him what to do and what to think, which will inevitably bring about his crash. I don't think his alternate self would do that.

At least that's my theory.

FFIX Choco Boy
10-02-2008, 09:01 PM
It is Sephy, it's explained in a sort of roundabout way somewhere in the game. He does control all the clones using his mind powers. After all, who else would tell him to give the damn Black Materia to Sephiroth so he could summon Meteor and destroy the world?

champagne supernova
10-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Doesn't Sephiroth control him directly when Cloud gives up the Black Materia?
The voice being referred to here is the one when the strange music plays. It's heard during THAT odd scene at the Honeybee Inn, at the Mako reactor, at lower Junon, etc. I doubt it would be Sephiroth telling Cloud to ask Tifa why the two didn't spend more time together when he was at Nibelheim.

Saber
10-03-2008, 02:29 AM
I think its a conbination of all. like sometimes its cloud talking to himself other times its Jenova saying he's a puppet. Then Zack comes in and asks why him and tifa didn't spend more time with each other. Sephiroth speaks directly in clouds mind using Jenova. In the end its confused cloud with all the things within him.

Big D
10-03-2008, 04:53 AM
Zack never actually speaks in Cloud's mind. When he hears voices giving him 'hints' - like the one prodding him to ask Tifa about what happened at Nibelheim - that's Cloud's buried, true consciousness pushing him toward uncovering the truth about himself. His real self was buried deep, and moments like that were when it pushed to the surface.

At other times, Sephiroth speaks into Cloud's mind - "The blood of the Ancients courses through my veins..." and the likes of that.

You can usually tell which voice it is - when everything falls quiet, or the "Who are You?" music plays, it's Cloud's buried consciousness. When the screen flashes white and the sinister wind noise is audible, it's Sephiroth.

Once Cloud's got his act together again, both voices are gone: He's beaten the psychological influence of Jenova's cells, so his real personality's not in hiding anymore, and Sephiroth's also no longer trying to mislead or influence him.

Saber
10-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Zack never actually speaks in Cloud's mind.

Zack has so much of an impact on Clouds mind its not even funny. During his flashbacks, living as both of them, and then in AC when he sees Aeris and Zack.

Although Zack DIDN'T guide him through from what we know of, Zack still has a movement on Clouds mind. There just isn't any proof that Zack is a voice, there still could be the answer though. Its either Zack (memories or seeing the dead) or cloud (trying to overcome Jenova and Mako). The odvious Jenova and sephiroth come with certain music, or maybe they don't want Cloud? Maybe he's a little too big to abopt.

Big D
10-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Indeed, Cloud did 'adopt' Zack's memories and stories to use as his own - when Cloud's mind got blasted to hell by his experiences and the effect of Jenova's cells, he used Zack's memories - the 'ideal life' he wanted for himself - to build the structure that kept his mind from completely falling apart. So, as you say - Zack was definitely in Cloud's mind, just not in a telepathic or necromantic sense.

Saber
10-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Telepathic? NO.
Necromantic? maybe.

Elly
10-03-2008, 03:04 PM
a lot of the Sephiroth lines we see in clouds mind are not Sephiroth directly talking to Cloud but mearly things Cloud remembers Sephiroth saying as evidenced by flashbacks later in the game... the times when cloud is asleep or you hear the "Who Are You? / Who Am I?" tunes playing is when true Cloud is trying to come back to the surface... Zack does have an influence but he's not directing him per se` as Cloud has adopted Zacks personality at that time and truly believes Zacks life stories are his own, due to all the gabbing Zack did when Cloud was under the severe Mako Poisoning the first time when they escaped ShinRa Mansion...

Jessweeee♪
10-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I like to think it's Zack for a couple of those scenes. Probably isn't, but oh well :p

Mercen-X
10-15-2008, 04:30 AM
Whenever the voice in Cloud's head tells him something he should already know, it's his hidden true consciousness.
Whenever he receives advice on how to better react in situations or telling him things he needs to know, it's memories of stories of Zack's career in SOLDIER.
Whenever the voice tells him things that corrupt his mind, it's the influence of Jenova/Sephiroth driving him as a puppet.

Simple, eh?

Chuchulainn the impure
10-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I think its Jenova because Jenova is literally a part of cloud

Mercen-X
10-26-2008, 05:54 AM
What the heck ever gave you that idea?

Ifalna
01-25-2009, 06:30 PM
I think that`s Sephiroth,because he was mentally controlling Cloud
Or maybe Aeris...

Crimson
01-26-2009, 01:44 AM
It's Quina, controlling our Spikey haired protagonist from 2 games into the future.