Moon Rabbits
10-05-2008, 07:10 PM
First novel I ever read.

demondude
10-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I read it years ago and fell in love with it instantly. <3

kikimm
10-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I tried reading it once in 5th grade/when I was 9 or 10, read the first couple chapters, put it down, and never picked it up again! And I have since read all the LotR books. Maybe there was less motivation to slug through it because there wasn't a movie of it coming out in the next year. :P

I do own it still, though, and maybe when it gets time for the movie I'll pick it up again. ;D

Bunny
10-05-2008, 09:39 PM
The Hobbit is the only book by Tolkien that I've managed to read.

Miriel
10-05-2008, 10:04 PM
My very first introduction to Tolkien's world. I read it in the 6th grade and I was enchanted by it.

Big D
10-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I read it after both LotR and The Silmarillion. It definitely feels like a children's book in comparison. That's not a criticism, though, since it's meant to be for kids.

It suffers somewhat from an over-abundance of characters who simply aren't relevant to the plot, and a surplus of inexplicably talking animals. But that last part can be explained away by the fact that the story is Bilbo's own embellished re-telling of events.

Some great and imaginative scenes, characters and ideas though. A fine book, if not especially compelling.

Vivisteiner
10-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Its a good book, and better than LotR IMO. Although I must say, I prefer the movies of LotR to the book. Which makes me excited for The Hobbit.

Elskidor
10-06-2008, 03:03 PM
It's a wonderful book, and I've been waiting for a live action movie ever since I first saw the animated cartoon in 1996. I still have a couple copies of the book around here somewhere.

Aerith's Knight
10-07-2008, 12:29 AM
A great book. After the first time I read it, I actually made a Rhunic alfabet and memorized them so I could write in Runes. xD

God, I was a dork.

MedctnStn
10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I love this book so much, there is also a movie coming out in 2011. :love:

it's actually going to be a two part movie. the first part is going to be the actual book itself, while the second movie will bridge the gap between the end of the hobbit and the beginning of the trilogy.

as soon as i heard about the possibilty of the movie, i managed upon this website you should take a look at

The Hobbit Movie (http://www.derhobbit-film.de/indexengl.shtml)

scrumpleberry
10-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Love this book. Actually enjoy more than LoTR at times. I've lost my copy, and I'm devastated. I'm so happy that they're doing this!

edit: Do you think there's any chance that they'll do a Simarillon..? I've only read about the first page so I don't know if it's decent movie material...

Aerith's Knight
10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
edit: Do you think there's any chance that they'll do a Simarillon..? I've only read about the first page so I don't know if it's decent movie material...

There are some epic battles in there, but it is more like a history book. I think you would need a 20-hour movie to show half of it. :p

Rantz
10-07-2008, 06:37 PM

There are some epic battles in there, but it is more like a history book. I think you would need a 20-hour movie to show half of it. :p

Then again, they managed to make a movie out of LoTR. And there's still a lot of cash in the Tolkien cow they can squeeze out, probably.

On topic, I like The Hobbit. If it's a children's book, then I guess I'm a child because I'm still fascinated by it. :)

Big D
10-07-2008, 10:16 PM
The Silmarillion's full of stories that are interconnected but separate. As a single movie, or even a trilogy, it'd be awkward and tiresome to sit through. But as, say, a TV series - it could just work. A season or two of one to two-hour episodes, something with the same level of production values as Rome.. it could work. They could spend as many episodes as needed to tell each story - some could be dispensed with in a single episode, others would take much longer.

Flying Mullet
10-08-2008, 02:29 PM
I never read the hobbit until I was out of college, which is odd, considering I read a lot of fantasy works growing up. But I'm glad I finally read it as it's a fun read.