PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Game Show is almost upon us

Dreddz
10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm sure TGS is more meaningful to people on this board so I deemed TGS thread worthy. What are your expectations for the event? What do you hope is going to be announced?

I'm definitely interested to see what Sony is bringing to the event. They have 14 unannounced titles coming (which I guess is 13 now seeing as the recent RPG Demon Souls (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/01/famitsu-demons-souls-ps3-action-rpg-at-tgs/) was one of them) 3 are said to be PSP titles (which is lame in my opinion) and a whopping 11 are for PS3. I guess a lot of PS3 owners are favoring the idea that a lot of them are JRPG's. This is TGS after all. I think Team Ico's game is ready to be unveiled because I personally think 3 years after their previous game was released is enough time to at least release a brief teaser. Two of the 14 unannounced games are from third party publishers, one of them being Konami. I suspect the long over-due Suikoden VI is going to be the title from them.

I wouldn't doubt Microsoft either. They are opening the event with their conference which is quite a daunting task so I'm sure they are prepared. I think they're big announcement for the event is that FFXIII is coming to the 360 in Japan. After their streak of (moderate) success in the country it wouldn't surprise me if they go all the way and try to over-run Sony on their own turf. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Finally I hope to see some more info on Yakuza 3, White Knight Chronicles (both confirmed to be at the event) and Ninja Blade.

Roto13
10-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Sega released a pre-TGS Bayonetta trailer, so I'm hoping to see more information about that.

Wolf Kanno
10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, except for something by Team Ico, I can't say Sony will have too many things I'm interested in unless they throw a curve ball at us. MS will probably be showing off all of the SE love and possible a few more JRPGs from third party companies. I don't expect Nintendo to show anything worthwhile for the Wii. Probably more on the new Wii Sports title but nothing beyond that which would interest the the die hard fanbase. Unless, Monolith Soft or the rumored Matsuno project make a surprise appearance. For Nintendo it will all be about the DS.

Third party is where it is at, Capcom will probably show more on RE5, that new Lost Planet sequel, and Mad World. I also expect to see a lot of low profile titles from them. I can see Capcom talking about SFIV coming to consoles and I wouldn't be surprised to hear about new projects for download on the systems. Biggest shocker they could pull but is terribly unlikely? Breath of Fire VI

Konami will be intriguing and I can only hope for a Suikoden sequel but I'm sure they will be showing more Silent Hill nonsense (just retire the franchise for heaven's sake) and who knows? Possible a little info on what Kojima is doing now that MGS is done.

SE will probably show more on Last Remnant and the same trailers for the XIII projects with possibly 10 seconds of new footage. Dissidia will get some love and we will probably have the final unveiling of the character roster. Star Ocean 4 will get some love and I wouldn't be surprised to hear about new projects in the works for the Ivalice Alliance and the Compilation of FFVII. A little more info on the KH projects as well. I'm certain their will be a few low profile titles for the DS and PSP that will be shown and get no coverage. :( The one thing SE could do to steal the show is have the playable XIII demo on the floor which is not an impossibility.

Atlus, will be the group I'm looking forward to the most. Hopefully a new MegaTen game and Persona 5 will be announced. Maybe some love from Nippon Ichi. Mostly a plethora of non-mainstream titles...

After that, its just the little gems here and there from lesser known third party companies.

Bolivar
10-07-2008, 03:32 AM
Well, Kenji Inafune has expressed that he wants to make a new Mega Man Legends, just he isn't sure if Capcom could really handle the budget. They did good with Lost Planet/Dead Rising, depending on how the downloads are looking for MEga Man 9, I would really like to see this as a possibility. PS3 at that. It was basically a sandbox game before they were called sandbox games, so this to me would be huge.

I'd like to see a relative release date for FFXIII. Definately one for last remnant on PS3 (undated). Also, Square said they were gonna anounce something htat would put the bhall back in Sony's court and it never came at that event. I think if it actually is something other than the playable demo, this would be an awesome time for that. With XIII on the 360 delaying us PS3 owners from getting it, Last Remnant coming first for them, and Infinite Undiscovery, it's time for some equality.

MGS5 is already being discussed. Considering how quickly after 3 MGS4 was announced, I honestly wouldn't be surprised on this one.

Karellen
10-07-2008, 03:57 AM
Atlus, will be the group I'm looking forward to the most. Hopefully a new MegaTen game and Persona 5 will be announced. Maybe some love from Nippon Ichi. Mostly a plethora of non-mainstream titles...

I don't think Atlus are going.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Team Ico game and Dragon Quest IX. I'm hoping for a Final Fantasy V DS annoucement as well but not holding my hopes too high. Otherwise, I don't really care about this. Japan isn't the one making the more interesting games at the moment.

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Well, Kenji Inafune has expressed that he wants to make a new Mega Man Legends, just he isn't sure if Capcom could really handle the budget. They did good with Lost Planet/Dead Rising, depending on how the downloads are looking for MEga Man 9, I would really like to see this as a possibility. PS3 at that. It was basically a sandbox game before they were called sandbox games, so this to me would be huge.

Yes! :cool: That would be totally awesome.

MGS5 is already being discussed. Considering how quickly after 3 MGS4 was announced, I honestly wouldn't be surprised on this one.

Its not an impossibility but I personally feel there is nowhere else to go with the series at this point. It still doesn't change the possibility Konami is working on it though. Personally, I'm hoping for Kojima to announce a sequel to Snatcher :)

I don't think Atlus are going.

I'm very sad now :(

NeoCracker
10-07-2008, 04:18 AM
They should totally anounce either Re-makes or Ports of Lufia 1 and 2, and then announce a continuation of the story.
CAUSE I WANT MORE AREK DAMMIT! CURSE YOU NATSUME!

But yeah, I'm hoping for some strong PS3 and Wii titles to come up. Since those are the systems I own. (WILL own PS3 on the 10th at least. :p)

But yes, Breath of Fire V! (I refuse to call that garbage Dragon Quarter V, it was a disgrace and best left forgotten in the sands of time. I will not dignify it by giving it a number.)

Roto13
10-07-2008, 04:29 AM
Is Nintendo even going? They did just have their whole press conference thing the other day. Are they just so full of ideas and projects that they need two events to get them all out there? xP

NeoCracker
10-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Yes they are.

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2008, 05:19 AM
(I refuse to call that garbage Dragon Quarter V, it was a disgrace and best left forgotten in the sands of time. I will not dignify it by giving it a number.)

You are dead to me Neocracker... That game was awesome and easily has one of the best plots in the series. :p

NeoCracker
10-07-2008, 05:38 AM
(I refuse to call that garbage Dragon Quarter V, it was a disgrace and best left forgotten in the sands of time. I will not dignify it by giving it a number.)

You are dead to me Neocracker... That game was awesome and easily has one of the best plots in the series. :p

God himself couldn't save you from the hell you have condemned yourself too.

I don't care about the plot in this case, as the game itself was so horrid, not even the greatest game plot ever could save it.

Bolivar
10-07-2008, 05:49 AM

Its not an impossibility but I personally feel there is nowhere else to go with the series at this point. It still doesn't change the possibility Konami is working on it though. Personally, I'm hoping for Kojima to announce a sequel to Snatcher :)

That's how I kind of felt, too, but Kojima stated he already has 3 ideas in his head for MGS5, but hoping his team doesn't use them so he can just produce. link (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3170146)

and how could I forget Dragon Quest IX? I heard somewhere it's supposed to be out in Japan before the end of the year, hopefully an NA release date will be announced and more info.

Big D
10-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Maybe they'll release a new 20-minute FFXIII trailer, with an entire second of gameplay footage?

Roto13
10-07-2008, 06:38 AM
Squenix released their booth layout. No FF XIII to be found :P

XxSephirothxX
10-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Bungie's next project is the main thing I care about.

Also, Ninja Blade is being shown off, I think. That game has potential.

And some company is announcing some "famous" Japanese dev is making a game with them but that might not be at TGS. I forget now. It could be Itagaki.

Roto13
10-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Itagaki is going to announce Tit Ninja Guro Chronicles and talk about what a beautiful thing it is.

Karellen
10-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Come to think of it, I wonder if Matsuno will show up to show off that thing he's supposedly making with Sakimoto. Probably not.

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2008, 08:39 AM
God himself couldn't save you from the hell you have condemned yourself too.

I don't care about the plot in this case, as the game itself was so horrid, not even the greatest game plot ever could save it.

The plot is awe inspiring, the combat system is fun, and the game is challenging. Seriously, its one of the best written BoF imo. Its tied with BoFIII for me. It was different and it worked. :p

That's how I kind of felt, too, but Kojima stated he already has 3 ideas in his head for MGS5, but hoping his team doesn't use them so he can just produce. link (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3170146)

Poor Kojima keeps trying to retire... Still, I'm more curious about his idea for the new game. He has made some really unique games and I find it sad people only think he does MGS when he's also done Snatcher and Boktai as well as a few other cool ideas. Hell, I would love to see him make a game for the Wii.

Dreddz
10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Even the best written Breath of Fire still doesn't have a decent plot. I will give credit to BOF V though, I thought it was a damn sight better than the previous ones. I applaud any developer trying to do something unique in RPG's seeing as the genre has become so stale at this point.

Yes they are.
No they're not. There will be Wii and DS games at the event but Nintendo always sit TGS out. Look at the floor layout if you don't believe me.

Bolivar
10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Nintendo always sit TGS out.

why is that?

Dreddz
10-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Nintendo always sit TGS out.

why is that?

They always have their own event at this time of the year so there is not really much point them attending TGS. There will be games for the DS and Wii mind you.

Also, Ninja Blade is being shown off, I think. That game has potential.
Well some gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o70hKzZ-Gc) footage has been shown off already. I'm still interested in the game but it does just seem like a poor mans Ninja Gaiden. Was expecting more.

JKTrix
10-09-2008, 04:37 PM
If Ninja Blade was gonna be like 'Otogi 3' (Otogi/Otogi2 being one of the Xbox's best games and one of my top 10 favourite 'last gen' games), I would be super excited for Ninja Blade.

Besides the fact that From Software has said that it's not intended to be Otogi's spiritual successor, it just doesn't look as interesting as Otogi. Though I've always been more attracted to the 'Samurai' side of Japanese lore than the 'Ninja' side. Still, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, since Otogi was indeed awesome and this looks more like Otogi than From Software's kindalame Tenchu series.

Dreddz
10-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm still excited too but you hit the nail on the head there, it looks just like Otogi. With some snazzy QTE's of course. Oh and in my opinion Tenchu should never have been given to From Software. Glad it was given back to Acquire (who made the awesome first two games) for Tenchu 4.

And on the topic of TGS, some new Yakuza 3 (http://www.gamegrep.com/video/14671-tgs_08_brand_new_ingame_yakuza_3_footage/) footage was shown and it looks phenomenal. Definitely my most anticipated game. Although I don't want them focusing on dating or all the side crap, I just want the story. Graphically though, it looks beautiful.

Nifleheim7
10-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Does anyone know when is the Sony conference?

KentaRawr!
10-09-2008, 10:54 PM
So, the Wii Stuff is looking pretty groovalicious. Muramasa on the Wii is looking pretty awesome, and the Monster Hunter 3 footage I've seen is Monster Hunter-ish.

:3

Jessweeee♪
10-09-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm hoping for more info on GS5 and GK from Capcom, and maybe something on the GS TV drama rumor! I am hoping to hear more about Dissidia and this mind control game from Square, too.

Roto13
10-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Sega released a pre-TGS Bayonetta trailer, so I'm hoping to see more information about that.

This pleases Roto (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41158.html)

KentaRawr!
10-10-2008, 02:22 AM

This pleases Roto (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41158.html)

Zomg teh hawtz pr0n.

Karellen
10-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Dragon Quest IX (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQJeDSnVUY)

Hopefully there will be a direct feed soon.