PDA

View Full Version : I want mah LittleBigPlanet! D:<

KentaRawr!
10-07-2008, 10:24 PM
I mean, just look at this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vwn3zuMXok)

It makes me wish I had a PS3.

What are your thoughts on LittleBigPlanet?

JKTrix
10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
WANT. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRgYBHoAoU)

Maybe not so much for what I can create, but to experience the madness that is sure to come out of it.

Roto13
10-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm definitely getting it eventually. Probably not for a little while, though, unfortunately.

KentaRawr!
10-07-2008, 11:31 PM
WANT. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRgYBHoAoU)

WOAH. Seriously, that must have took quite a bit of time to do, just putting all of it together. Figuring out how to do it though, well, just seems totally out of my league.

Bolivar
10-08-2008, 05:32 AM
I'm really stoked for it, but like Roto i'll be waiting a little while to actually get it. The music aspect is really intruiging to me, I might put in a few of the mario paint final fantasy tunes in there from youtube. some of my friends and me are already comin up with some ideas for what to put in.

Markus. D
10-08-2008, 05:35 AM
Wow, you could probably go crazy!

That's soooooo neat ^^

Dreddz
10-08-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm playing around with the beta as we speak :p

Sometimes the game can be very dull, sometimes it can be very great, so it averages out to be ok. Most of the levels you see on the internet are more fun to just watch than to actually play. There's a level copying Shadow of the Colossus which looks really impressive but when it came to actually playing it was kind of boring. Not that there aren't fun levels to play. The Wipeout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLo7N34kFYM) stage was pretty awesome.

I haven't messed with the creation tools yet but Ill get around to it before the beta ends (which is the 11th I think). Not entirely sure whether Ill be picking this game up now.

ljkkjlcm9
10-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm playing around with the beta as we speak :p

Sometimes the game can be very dull, sometimes it can be very great, so it averages out to be ok. Most of the levels you see on the internet are more fun to just watch than to actually play. There's a level copying Shadow of the Colossus which looks really impressive but when it came to actually playing it was kind of boring. Not that there aren't fun levels to play. The Wipeout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLo7N34kFYM) stage was pretty awesome.

I haven't messed with the creation tools yet but Ill get around to it before the beta ends (which is the 11th I think). Not entirely sure whether Ill be picking this game up now.

Yeah, my friend with a PS3 also has the BETA and we've been playing it a bunch. Some of the levels are really cool, but others are just complete trash. I just wonder how the custom levels will be organized after the full release of the game, because there will be so many of them.

THE JACKEL

Dreddz
10-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Yeah, my friend with a PS3 also has the BETA and we've been playing it a bunch. Some of the levels are really cool, but others are just complete trash. I just wonder how the custom levels will be organized after the full release of the game, because there will be so many of them.

THE JACKAL
The beta does a pretty good job at telling you which ones are worth playing. You just go to the tab saying "Cool Levels" and you it shows you the top rated. So all the awesome levels you see online are pretty easy to get to. Although they ordered it in such a way that only a select few are picked (maybe 20 or so) which means all the hundreds of other levels are lost. You have a search bar but that only helps if you like searching for bad levels, which there are a ton of.

I've been messing around with the creation tools and I am not impressed so far. Its easy to make very simple looking levels but there not fun at all. It is incredibly difficult to make anything good which makes me wonder who Sony really wants playing this game. It looks on the surface to be very casual friendly but it most definitely is not. The big selling point to this game only really applies to the obsessed.

KentaRawr!
10-08-2008, 08:22 PM
The casual people will probably just download the coolest levels, I s'pose. But from what I can see of the game, it doesn't seem to be one for the obsessed, but the creative. Whether that means you make awesome contraptions (Like Helicopters and Tanks), or levels with lots of character to them (such as this Sonic Level (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJ1Ts5muqQ)), it's still a pretty cool creative tool. I think that people that find themselves designing levels with character and emotion to them should use the contraptions that other people make to use in their levels.

:3...

Dreddz
10-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I just think the amount of time you have to put into a level for it to be any good is obscene. And not particularly fun, but that's just me.

I do think the creation tools for littlebigplanet are revolutionary and I applaud Media Molecule and anyone willing to put in enough time to make a level. But at the end of the day, the game isn't that fun. You can go into the calculator level and think "wow, this is amazing" and then you realize its just a calculator. Does anyone else see what I mean?

I really recommend people to get into the beta as I still think there are some beta codes left (I got mine from fileplanet). I thought I was sold on the game after E3 but now having played the game I don't see myself picking this one up. I know I've probably angered all the Sony fans by saying their biggest game this fall is boring but it has to be said.

KentaRawr!
10-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Well of course the Calculator isn't fun. It's amazing, but not fun, as it is merely a calculator. But other things, like trucks, tanks, and planes, can be used to make fun experiences when done correctly. But creativity itself does take time, no matter what you're making. Unless you're making a sandwich.

If I've heard correctly, one can "win" other people's contraptions by playing through their levels. If you were to collect various contraptions from winnings, it would make the process of making a stage much easier, as the stage's gimmicks would already be decided. All that would really be left for the level designer would be setting the mood with decoration, and balancing things out. Not like I can speak from experience, but that's what it seems like from my point of view.

JKTrix
10-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm not in the beta but I'll agree with Dreddz on the part about the level-making not being that big of a thing since I'm not much of a game-creating person myself. Still, I'm looking forward to whatever the "Massive Single Player Game (http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/LittleBigPlanet)" it comes with holds and eventually all the stuff that will come out of the community for a long time. Multiplayer is a plus too.
http://i38.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/oqy4d5.jpg

Vivisteiner
10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Reviews for Little Big Planet have been disappointing, with an aggregate of only 96/100 thus far.

LittleBigPlanet (ps3: 2008): Reviews (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/littlebigplanet)

Roto13
10-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't know how it works in Bizarro World, but here on earth a 96/100 is really, really, really good.

Dreddz
10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Metacritic doesn't count a lot of the foreign scores either so all the other sites and magazines from Europe giving the game 10's aren't counted which I'm sure would of boosted the games average even higher.

I on the other hand would give the game a 7 from my impression with the beta. And that's being generous.

Vivisteiner
10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
@Roto13: But it lost four marks! Which means it sucks! :(

Anyway, here's the IGN video review of this sucky game:

YouTube - Little Big Planet Review ign 9.5 !!! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0qEVuV8Gwc)

(this one's even worse - it lost 5 marks!)

KentaRawr!
10-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Well, knowing that the single player mode is good, I s'pose whether I'm good at creating things or not doesn't really matter. But, ideas still float in my head.

Bolivar
10-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Metacritic doesn't count a lot of the foreign scores either so all the other sites and magazines from Europe giving the game 10's aren't counted which I'm sure would of boosted the games average even higher.

I on the other hand would give the game a 7 from my impression with the beta. And that's being generous.

aren't the Europeans usually a little more critical? Maybe they're more prone to rating highly their own exports...

Dreddz
10-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Well Eurogamer has a reputation for giving harsh scores but I don't think that reflects all of Europe. Plus littlebigplanet is being made by British devs so.....yeah.

JKTrix
10-16-2008, 04:02 AM
What is actually *in* the beta? Is it just the creation, or does it have some single player stuff?

KentaRawr!
10-16-2008, 09:58 AM
From what I've seen, the Beta has some tutorial levels as well as the creation stuff. Oh, and a rather nice intro.

Dreddz
10-16-2008, 02:58 PM
The beta had around 5 pre-made levels, only the first three were tutorial levels. There was a creation mode which had a fraction of the tool kit that is in the full game (which means the levels you've seen so far are only utilizing a small amount of the tools on offer in the full game which is pretty impressive). There was also online where you could mess around in other peoples levels with 4 other people. That was probably the most fun I had in the beta. And Kentarou was right, there is a pretty cool intro as well.

Roto13
10-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Ha ha ha ha xD (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170727)

Pete for President
10-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Ha ha ha ha xD (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170727)

*sigh*

KentaRawr!
10-17-2008, 10:33 PM
D'oh! :mad2:

ShunNakamura
10-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Wha... Ho.... Wh.....y

That is just ridiculous. What goes through those people's heads?!

I don't have a PS3 though, so unless it gets a PC release I won't be able to play period(and with the economy how it is I won't be able to afford a PS3 or any gaming system for a while. Everything will be tied up). Pretty cool concepts though from what I have seen. At least it would probably end up being worth the cost of the game.

Old Manus
10-18-2008, 12:16 AM
lol Islam

KentaRawr!
10-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Lots of people over at the Gamefaqs LBP board seem to be going nuts about how Muslims are all filthy terrorists that hate Western civilization right now. :rolleyes2

Which is something I totally disagree with, by the way.

Dreddz
10-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Those people who got sold the game before street date must be feeling very happy now.

KentaRawr!
10-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Interestingly enough, one of the people who got it before the street date was the person who requested the song patch for LBP.

Pete for President
11-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I just got myself a copy today. For some reason it won't let me go online yet, must be a problem with LBP servers or something, so I'm happily running through the story mode, which is... cool. I'm not really blown away by the gameplay just yet (except for the mini-level with the skateboard, which is awesome), but I have high hopes for what cool stuff everyone's gonna post online.

Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

Opinions anyone?

Roto13
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah, the servers are down until this evening.

Bolivar
11-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I got a chance to play this with a friend, it was alot of fun. I might want to hold out on it for a while though, i'm probably gonna get resistance/valkyria before then and I got a limited gaming budget.

Dignified Pauper
11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
what the heck do you even do in this game? I've yet to understand it.

Bolivar
11-06-2008, 06:23 PM

lol i think you just gotta see for yourself. If you want me to try:

It's a platformer much like Mario, except you can also walk to the foreground and background. The primary things you do (other than jumping) is pushing and pulling objects to complete goals. It's all about getting to the end of the level, and it's usually not linear at all. there's always different kinds of obstacles and new challenges you encounter in all the levels. Seriously, just play it.

Pete for President
11-07-2008, 10:12 AM
The servers worked yesterday evening I have had some good fun with other players on a skateboard and some more rocketpowered vehicles, but I've yet to figure out how the game-joining system works. It was good fun though! Still running through story mode to collect items and such, can't wait to start building my own stuff =)

Dignified Pauper
11-07-2008, 10:37 PM

lol i think you just gotta see for yourself. If you want me to try:

It's a platformer much like Mario, except you can also walk to the foreground and background. The primary things you do (other than jumping) is pushing and pulling objects to complete goals. It's all about getting to the end of the level, and it's usually not linear at all. there's always different kinds of obstacles and new challenges you encounter in all the levels. Seriously, just play it.

I do not own a PS3, nor can I afford one at the moment. Do people build levels and others play them? Sounds kind of boring, imho.

Roto13
11-07-2008, 10:47 PM
The level building is the main attraction, just because there's so much you can do with it. When you can use a level editor to build a calculator out of random gears and stuff, you know there's some serious depth there. :P

Pete for President
11-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Just started messing around in de level creator, and the result was a pretty decent flying machine made out of balloons and rockets, which is perfectly controllable. I actually lost track of time just messing around with those rockets :)

Anyone up for some co-op running and jumping?

My PSN is PietZooter, might you be interested.