PDA

View Full Version : In this thread we annoy each other by having a grammar competition.

demondude
10-09-2008, 06:30 PM
20 points - For correcting somebody's correction.

10 points - Correcting somebodies spelling mistake.

7 points - Correcting my points table.

5 points - Filling in missing punctuation/Correcting punctuation.

4 points - Giving me a good rule for point distribution.

3 points - Pointing out that someone used a word wrong, then correcting it.

3 points - Correction of incorrect capitalization.

2 points - Correct a sentence that is more then 100 words long. ~ Bonus

1 point - Make a statement written by yourself that is more then 20 words long, you may make one statement a day.

When correcting a sentence make sure it says ##Correction:

Points table:

Momiji - 70
Scrumpleberry - 20
RubyLapiz - 8
Akaria - 1

Beginning statement:

Lets get this game underway! It shall be fun, and educational.
So, anybody up for it? I'd love some new rule ideas, you can even get points for ideas. (If I accept them)

scrumpleberry
10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
##Correction: somebody's

##Correction: Let's get this game underway!

##Correction: points for ideas (if I accept them.)

##Statement: I would very much like to have lots of expensive things. Alas, this is not possible: my pockets are empty.

This will be so fun for the grammar nazi in us all.

edit: btw me correcting the rules was a joke, i don't expect points for that x)

bipper
10-09-2008, 06:38 PM
i hat lif.

demondude
10-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Oh yeah. say ##statement: before a statement please. :)

EDIT: You get points anyway. :p

rubah
10-09-2008, 06:44 PM
#Correction: In this thread, we annoy each other by having a grammar competition.

Dependent clauses/prepositional phrases at the beginning of sentences = commatime

Momiji
10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
##Correction: 2 points - Correct a sentence that is more then than 100 words long. ~ Bonus

##Correction: 1 point - Make a statement written by yourself that is more then than 20 words long,; you may make one statement a day.

Everything I corrected is in bold pink text.

You spelled 'than' incorrectly twice, and that comma should be a semicolon. 25 points, please.

##Statement: Let's hear it for anal retentiveness! Let's all do our very best to correct every incorrect statement, so in the end, everyone will hate us!

EDIT: ##Correction: Edit: btw By the way, me correcting the rules was a joke I was joking when I corrected the rules , ; i I don't expect points for that. x)

I don't really think I'm eligible for points at all, so far. I just enjoy being an ass.

Old Manus
10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
##Correction: Dependent clauses/prepositional phrases at the beginning of sentences = commatime.

Sort it out.

Rantz
10-09-2008, 06:53 PM
##statement: The 2 point rule is silly because no one will ever write a sentence taht long if they do they are pretty foolish imo so i thiunk you should take theat rule of the list I dont approve of it and neither does scrumple or paul i didn't ask them but i KNOW lol im pretty connected and i am also pretty wanna date me lmao id ont wanto daet u demon dud bcuz ive never seen you're face but i have seen ur MUMS face she is very pretty she looks like clint eestwud ogm omg im too funny okay

##Correction: "hat" should be "haet", bipper.

demondude
10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I made subtle mistakes in my post on purpose, but at least I tried to hide them. ; 0

Momiji
10-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh, so I did get points for that? In that case, I should get 10 more points for correcting scrumpleberry, because she misused two marks of punctuation. Since there are no apparent points for correcting capitalization and such, I should still get the points for correcting the punctuation.

Also, and I made a statement with more than 20 words. One point for that, as well.

EDIT: ##Point Idea: Correction of incorrect capitalization: 3 points?

:D

Goldenboko
10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
##statement: This, is, really, fucking, retarterdadwered.

demondude
10-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I implemented the new rule after I gave you points Mr. Momiji.
So it's fair.

rubah
10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
#statement: I just wanted to say that I am very pleased with the way this game is going, although it needs a little bit more original content in the form of #statements.

#correction: I implemented the new rule after I gave you points Mr. Momiji, so it's fair.

#statement: Watch your dependent clauses! They don't deserve their own sentences.

Akaria
10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
##statement: Not that I actively want to, but I think if I tried to join in on this thread, I'd have a grammar breakdown and throw myself off the roof of the airport.

demondude
10-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Momiji will run away with this. :0

Madame Adequate
10-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Statement: I will greatly enjoy it when all meatbags are exterminated.

Momiji
10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
#statement: I just wanted to say that I am very pleased with the way this game is going, although it needs a little bit more original content in the form of #statements.

#correction: I implemented the new rule after I gave you points Mr. Momiji, so it's fair.

#statement: Watch your dependent clauses! They don't deserve their own sentences.

You can only make one statement per day, Allie. Besides, it has to be over 20 words long.

Also:##Correction: ##statement: This, is, really, smurfing, retarterdadwered retarded.

Four unnecessary commas and 'retarded' is spelled incorrectly.
30 more points for me, please.

demondude
10-09-2008, 07:56 PM
MILF, your statement must be more then 20 words long.

EDIT: 30? I only count 20 for the correction of a correction? (Feel free to correct me)

EDIT 2 : Oops, nevermind.

scrumpleberry
10-09-2008, 10:03 PM
EDIT: ##Correction: Edit: btw By the way, me correcting the rules was a joke I was joking when I corrected the rules , ; i I don't expect points for that. x)

I don't really think I'm eligible for points at all, so far. I just enjoy being an ass.

No no darling, that was an out of character scribbly note. I don't think you get to correct that.

also i never put punctiation before or after smileys because i think it breaks up the flow of the reading ;)

Goldenboko
10-09-2008, 10:06 PM

You can only make one statement per day, Allie. Besides, it has to be over 20 words long.

Also:##Correction: ##statement: This, is, really, smurfing, retarterdadwered retarded.

Four unnecessary commas and 'retarded' is spelled incorrectly.
30 more points for me, please.

##statement: Fuck YOUS momIJI. GReatr thaan colin left paranthesis.

Momiji
10-09-2008, 10:34 PM

No no darling, that was an out of character scribbly note. I don't think you get to correct that.

also i never put punctiation before or after smileys because i think it breaks up the flow of the reading ;)

I got points for it, so it is free game. But since I'm nice, I'll leave yours alone from here on out.

##statement: smurf YOUS momIJI. GReatr thaan colin left paranthesis.

You, however...

##Correction: Smurf you, Momiji. Greater than, colon, left parenthesis.

24 points for capitalization, plus 50 points for misspelled words. 74 points more if you please, Mr. Demon Dude.

Tavrobel
10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm tempted to post a string of gaming lingo. It would add a new level of depth and for some, an unfair advantage.

Bonus points?

blackmage_nuke
10-09-2008, 10:58 PM
##Correction: 5 points - Filling in missing punctuation/Ccorrecting punctuation.

lol, C with a strike looks like an epsilon.

rubah
10-09-2008, 11:08 PM
I thought you could state as much as you like, but you'd only get points for one statement over twenty words.

Momiji
10-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I thought you could state as much as you like, but you'd only get points for one statement over twenty words.

1 point - Make a statement written by yourself that is more then 20 words long, you may make one statement a day.

scrumpleberry
10-09-2008, 11:23 PM
lol, C with a strike looks like an epsilon.

##Correction: No, it doεsn't.

##Correction: I laughed out loud with mirth and merriment: C with a strike looks like an epsilon.

Dr. Acula
10-10-2008, 12:14 AM
#statement: I had too much junk food yesterday and now I feel like crap, and I also think I should join in this game, it looks like fun.

Madame Adequate
10-10-2008, 12:21 AM
MILF, your statement must be more then 20 words long.

EDIT: 30? I only count 20 for the correction of a correction? (Feel free to correct me)

EDIT 2 : Oops, nevermind.

Retort: I will make my statements as long or short as I please, meatbag.

Tavrobel
10-10-2008, 12:42 AM
##Statement: You know, yesterday I was talking to my online friend and we were having a discussion about whether or not a dollar was better than a nickel, and my retort was that nickels are better because they would be able to be used in a parking mateter for which a car could be parked in that place for a long while, and my friend told me that he would give me a dollar and a nickel in return to which I could only reply "why would I need a dollar AND a nickel," because that would be pointless, because I was trying to get rid of the nickle in the first place but he went on and troed to convince me that I wanted both, and this took up quite a bit of time before I finally told him "you know what I was fucking around with you," and then we both logged off AIM, at which point i called a friend of mine, and it's a "she", by the way, so it's all good, I think; however, her cell didn't puck up even though I was thinking to my self "I'm good and rocking steady, okay and now I think I'm ready to bust a move so that we're good and ready, ohh, hoh, ohh, ohh," so I went away dejected and played some games until midnight and went to sleep, and started singing Calling All Cops as I did.

Tomorrow: Starcraft. NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED

Tavrobel
10-10-2008, 12:56 AM
I think we should get points for writing a statement that is really long in the first place. Just divide words by 100 and that can be the number of points given.

We should also get points for suggesting synonyms for words; except you only get points for words that are either more esoteric in nature or lengthier. If that word changes the grammatical structure of the statement, the suggesting person needs to account for that. Points to be given at the discretion of the OP.

qwertysaur
10-10-2008, 02:55 AM
## Statement: Find the error in this scentance. Yes, there is an error here.

##Statement: You know, yesterday I was talking to my online friend and we were having a discussion about whether or not a dollar was better than a nickel, and my retort was that nickels are better because they would be able to be used in a parking mateter for which a car could be parked in that place for a long while, and my friend told me that he would give me a dollar and a nickel in return to which I could only reply "why would I need a dollar AND a nickel," because that would be pointless, because I was trying to get rid of the nickle in the first place but he went on and troed to convince me that I wanted both, and this took up quite a bit of time before I finally told him "you know what I was smurfing around with you," and then we both logged off AIM, at which point i called a friend of mine, and it's a "she", by the way, so it's all good, I think; however, her cell didn't puck up even though I was thinking to my self "I'm good and rocking steady, okay and now I think I'm ready to bust a move so that we're good and ready, ohh, hoh, ohh, ohh," so I went away dejected and played some games until midnight and went to sleep, and started singing Calling All Cops as I did.

Tomorrow: Starcraft. NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTEDI'm not going to get all of those errors, but here are a few for you.
## Correction: You know, yesterday I was talking to my online friend and we were having a discussion about whether or not a dollar was better than a nickel, and my retort was that nickels are better because they would be able to be used in a parking meter for which a car could be parked in that place for a long while, and my friend told me that he would give me a dollar and a nickel in return to which I could only reply "why would I need a dollar AND a nickel," because that would be pointless, because I was trying to get rid of the nickel in the first place but he went on and tried to convince me that I wanted both, and this took up quite a bit of time before I finally told him "you know what I was smurfing around with you," and then we both logged off AIM, at which point I called a friend of mine, and it's a "she," by the way, so it's all good, I think; however, her cell didn't puck up even though I was thinking to my self "I'm good and rocking steady, okay and now I think I'm ready to bust a move so that we're good and ready, ohh, hoh, ohh, ohh," so I went away dejected and played some games until midnight and went to sleep, and started singing Calling All Cops as I did?

Tomorrow: Starcraft. NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED

Tavrobel
10-10-2008, 03:14 AM

##Correction: It should be spelled sentence.

Find the error in this sentence. Yes, there is an error here.

qwertysaur
10-10-2008, 03:16 AM

Now find the other one. :p

Momiji
10-10-2008, 03:19 AM
##Correction of previous: There shouldn't be a question mark at the end. You also missed the misspelling of "pick."

You know, yesterday I was talking to my online friend and we were having a discussion about whether or not a dollar was better than a nickel, and my retort was that nickels are better because they would be able to be used in a parking meter for which a car could be parked in that place for a long while, and my friend told me that he would give me a dollar and a nickel in return to which I could only reply "why would I need a dollar AND a nickel," because that would be pointless, because I was trying to get rid of the nickel in the first place but he went on and tried to convince me that I wanted both, and this took up quite a bit of time before I finally told him "you know what I was smurfing around with you," and then we both logged off AIM, at which point I called a friend of mine, and it's a "she," by the way, so it's all good, I think; however, her cell didn't pick up even though I was thinking to my self "I'm good and rocking steady, okay and now I think I'm ready to bust a move so that we're good and ready, ohh, ohh, ohh, ohh," so I went away dejected and played some games until midnight and went to sleep, and started singing Calling All Cops as I did.

Correction of a correction: 20 points. You owe me 94 in all now, Demon Dude. (164 total)

Laddy
10-10-2008, 03:20 AM
Word.

Tavrobel
10-10-2008, 03:20 AM

It's not 20 words long.

blackmage_nuke
10-10-2008, 02:21 PM

##Correction: That wasn't a statement, it was a command.

You have also ended your bold code before the colon.

scrumpleberry
10-10-2008, 05:34 PM
##Statement: I'm far too tired to try and find all the errors in previous statements. Perhaps I'll do some tommorrow. In the meantime, enjoy yourselves.

demondude
10-10-2008, 05:35 PM
##Statement: God, I'm gonna add the scores together tomorrow; I am bogged down with other things right now.

Tavrobel
10-10-2008, 09:22 PM
##Correction: That wasn't a statement, it was a command.

##Correction: It doesn't matter as with the imperative case in English (commands), the subject is always understood as "you." Therefore, the sentence is perfectly fine as is. There is a subject (implied as "you," the second person) and a verb (to find).

Additionally, it could be that the statement is two sentences; therefore, it could also read as such:

[You], find the error in this sentence, and yes, there is an error here.

Flying Mullet
10-10-2008, 09:28 PM
##Statement: All this post are bad and I has proper grammar and shows you how to use it with the quickness!