PDA

View Full Version : Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Nice
10-11-2008, 01:05 AM
http://zenquality.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/batman-the-dark-knight-returns.jpg?w=250&h=392

Many of you may not read batman comics, but I've become enthralled in them. It all began with this single book, Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Maybe some of you know of it, maybe all of you do. If you don't, I suggest you give it a read. Before reading this, I hadn't read a comic book in almost ten years. This book, is beautifully crafted and perhaps is the single greatest beat down Superman ever got from a mere human. Those of you that have read it, what did you think? Those of you that haven't, what are you waiting for?

Roto13
10-11-2008, 02:28 AM
I thought it was too cheesy, tbh :monster:

Boney King
10-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Haven't read it yet, but I love Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth. The artwork in that book is unbelievable.

theundeadhero
10-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I have that and it's sequal of course :)

Sephex
10-11-2008, 04:59 PM
I really liked Year One. I also liked the artwork in Hush. I have read a lot more, but I am still waking up.

Nice
10-11-2008, 09:50 PM
The Long Halloween was pretty awesome.

XxSephirothxX
10-11-2008, 09:54 PM
That does not even make sense.

My uncle gave me The Dark Knight Returns when I was about 6. I didn't have the same appreciation for it as I do now, but yes, it's a landmark for comics and maybe Miller's best work. It's damn good, either way.

Dark Knight Strikes Again was kind of a disappointment, though.

The Long Halloween is another great one. Check out Batman: Arkham Asylum, too, if only for the art.

Roto13
10-12-2008, 01:13 AM
That does not even make sense.

If you take everything Frank Miller has ever written into account, it makes perfect sense. :P

Kes
10-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Oh Frank Miller.

I haven't read much Batman because I'm more of a Marvel girl, but I have read this one. It was all right. Not a big fan of the art. I liked the whole concept of them all ageing. Unfortunately (?) I make comics my outlet for being a feminist, and Miller . . . well he's Frank Miller. These comics are no exception.

I'll add my voice to the Arkham Asylum fans. McKean is amazing, and the story is interesting too.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-13-2008, 01:56 AM
http://zenquality.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/batman-the-dark-knight-returns.jpg?w=250&h=392

Many of you may not read batman comics, but I've become enthralled in them. It all began with this single book, Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. Maybe some of you know of it, maybe all of you do. If you don't, I suggest you give it a read. Before reading this, I hadn't read a comic book in almost ten years. This book, is beautifully crafted and perhaps is the single greatest beat down Superman ever got from a mere human. Those of you that have read it, what did you think? Those of you that haven't, what are you waiting for?

I'm buying Absolute Batman: The Dark Knight because it has The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again in the same package!

erikramza
10-13-2008, 02:09 AM
DKR was incredible. Best Batman story out there. They do it pretty accurately in Batman TAS.

Year One was alright, a little too short.

XxSephirothxX
10-13-2008, 02:13 AM
If you take everything Frank Miller has ever written into account, it makes perfect sense. :P
It's one of the most grim, adult and unique Batman stories out there, and easily one of the most human portrayals of the character. I don't understand what part of it is cheesy.

Nice
10-13-2008, 02:27 AM
Unfortunately (?) I make comics my outlet for being a feminist, and Miller . . . well he's Frank Miller. These comics are no exception.

If you read DKR looking for a total patriarchal collapse, you were reading it for the wrong reasons. The story is about Batman.

XxSephirothxX
10-13-2008, 02:55 AM
Robin's a girl, though, and that's totally cool.

Nice
10-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Yeah, so was the new commissioner. Although she was undermined quite a lot.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
10-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Robin's a girl, though, and that's totally cool.

I want Robin to be a girl if Robin is ever re-introduced in the movies again.

Kes
10-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Unfortunately (?) I make comics my outlet for being a feminist, and Miller . . . well he's Frank Miller. These comics are no exception.

If you read DKR looking for a total patriarchal collapse, you were reading it for the wrong reasons. The story is about Batman.

Er, by feminism I don't mean women > men. I mean equalism, I suppose. And since I read them one after another, I don't remember which is in Strikes Again and which is in Returns, but Miller took quite a few digs at feminists, and then had Wonder Woman be all like "ZOMG SUPERMAN, I LOVE IT WHEN YOU RAPE ME!" neither of which pleased me much at all.

That being said, yeah, I love Carrie Kelly, and the whole thing wasn't bad.

Don't get me wrong; it's worth the read. I just felt the need to point out that particular flaw.