PDA

View Full Version : An IRL LOL.

Mittopotahis
10-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Surely, this is a sign of internet addiction.

Online I've never been one to use internet acronyms. I sort of avoid using them like the plague. Okay not the plague. But some other highly contagious and deadly disease. Perhaps SARS.

However, I seem to have developed a problem: I use internet acronyms in real life. It started out pretty safely, I told others I would 'brb' when I went to the bathroom, or I'd 'wtf' so I wouldn't have to say the actual words.

But it's gotten to the stage where I will sometimes say 'lol' INSTEAD OF LAUGHING. I know, I'm a freak right?

So I guess I'm looking for some reassurance. Do you use internet acronyms in real life? Which ones? I think in this scenario I'd much rather be a sheep than a loner. =P

Rye
10-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Depends on the group I'm with, but I definitely have before!

Funny story: When I was 15, my french class corresponded by letters to an english class in France. We met each other over a big video conference. Two french boys came onto camera and yelled "WE LIKE EHM.... EHMINEHM! LAWL!"

No lie.

Zeldy
10-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Saying "lol" can be pretty funny, I think anyway. If someone says a joke and no one laughs, a "lol" to fill the silence works perfectly.

Madame Adequate
10-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Welcome to the evolution of language. It's how it works, it's not a problem.

Momiji
10-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Welcome to the de-evolution of language. It's how it works, it's not a problem.

Fixed.

Madame Adequate
10-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Welcome to the de-evolution of language. It's how it works, it's not a problem.

Fixed.

No. L2linguistics.

Momiji
10-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Really? Replacing proper language with acronyms in regular speech isn't a step backward? Do tell.

Rantz
10-11-2008, 05:19 PM
It is indeed evolution and not devolution. If it was devolution we'd start saying things like Flivver and Flapper, go on with calling people barmy and in time proceed to start grunting and groaning.

A step backwards is when you start doing things like they were done before. Linguistics police has always complained about the evolution of language because everything new is inherently inferior.

Tavrobel
10-11-2008, 05:21 PM
No. L2linguistics.

no u l2meme properly

I don't use internet acronyms, but I do use shortenings of names and such when talking about a specific subject to an equally learned person about the original subject. But, if you're using internet acronyms in real life, and out loud, you're not helping yourself at all.

Ouch!
10-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Really? Replacing proper language with acronyms in regular speech isn't a step backward? Do tell.
Efficiency in language, among other things. Most people get far too attached to the language as they know it; this is a foolish mistake as language is always changing. Just remember, at one point another stick in the mud got very upset about the extraneous (oh yes, I went there) u's which were removed from American spelling practices.

MILF is right. L2linguistics.

Madame Adequate
10-11-2008, 05:22 PM

There's no such thing as "proper language". Language exists to communicate. There is no right and wrong beyond how effectively one communicates with it.

And unless you say "light amplification through the stimulated emission of radiation" every time you're talking about lasers, you're using acronyms instead of 'proper' language in your regular speech too :grover:

Momiji
10-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh fine then.

OMGLAT,TEOML! CYUAOT?

[Oh my god look at this, the evolution of modern language! Can you understand any of this?]

I feel so evolved now.

Rye
10-11-2008, 05:24 PM
The way to look at is that language is used to communicate as FAST and as efficiently as possible. If an acronym, like LOL, conveys the same message in half the time as "Wow, that was really funny!", then it's a progress in the language. :]

Rantz
10-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Oh fine then.

OMGLAT,TEOML! CYUAOT?

[Oh my god look at this, the evolution of modern language! Can you understand any of this?]

I feel so evolved now.

They said the same thing when people started saying "okay" to each other.

Madame Adequate
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Oh fine then.

OMGLAT,TEOML! CYUAOT?

I feel so evolved now.

No, but if you used it for awhile and other people started picking up on it, yes I would.

Just like every other word ever!

Momiji
10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
The way to look at is that language is used to communicate as FAST and as efficiently as possible. If an acronym, like LOL, conveys the same message in half the time as "Wow, that was really funny!", then it's a progress in the language. :]

Or you could, you know, laugh.

No, but if you used it for awhile and other people started picking up on it, yes I would.

Really? How would you determine each letter? There are thousands of words for each letter, so how would you figure out what each one stands for?

Rye
10-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Because that works great online on forums and instant messaging, when you can't hear the other person, Justin. xD

Momiji
10-11-2008, 05:28 PM

Because that works great online on forums and instant messaging, when you can't hear the other person, Justin. xD

Yes Jessica, but we're talking about in IRL, hence the thread title. :p

Tavrobel
10-11-2008, 05:29 PM
OMGLAT,TEOML! CYUAOT?

Ohh snapples, those are some awesome words you've got there.

And yet the title of the thread says IRL. Certain voice threads made by yours truly would beg to differ.

Madame Adequate

Really? How would you determine each letter? There are thousands of words for each letter, so how would you figure out what each one stands for?

I meant the specific acronyms you used there, not the idea of replacing all words ever with their first letters which would not facilitate communication, and thus would not be an evolution of the langauge.

Edit: Thread pretty obviously branched out to be a discussion of language in general.

Ouch!

There's a significant difference between your example and lol. MILF's point stands. If the acronym was used frequently enough, people would come to understand it. Obviously we're not going to start taking it to the extent you suggest. Nice slippery slope there, chief.

Momiji
10-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Of course not, but I was just taking the example to its extreme form. Can you imagine how hard it would be to pronounce some acronyms? And spelling them out...wouldn't it be easier to just say the words?

Ouch!
10-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes. That's the slippery slope argument I was criticizing you for there!

Rantz
10-11-2008, 05:36 PM
If it's that much easier to say the words, the acronym probably won't spread. :monster:

Madame Adequate
10-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Of course not, but I was just taking the example to its extreme form. Can you imagine how hard it would be to pronounce some acronyms? And spelling them out...wouldn't it be easier to just say the words?

*Headdesk*

YES, which is why only SOME acronyms exist, whereas the rest of the time we continue using the full words or phrases. That's pretty much my original point. We use certain acronyms because they have proven more convenient/efficient/in some way superior or preferable.

Momiji
10-11-2008, 05:39 PM
That still doesn't make saying 'brb' or 'lol' or 'wtf' in person any more reasonable.

Madame Adequate
10-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm talking about acronyms in speech in general. Sure, there are some easy ones, like "light amplification through the stimulated emission of radiation" = laser as Hux already mentioned, but what if you were speaking of something that didn't flow as well?

Then, like three of us just said, the acronym wouldn't take off and become used.

Momiji
10-11-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm talking about acronyms in speech in general. Sure, there are some easy ones, like "light amplification through the stimulated emission of radiation" = laser as Hux already mentioned, but what if you were speaking of something that didn't flow as well?

Then, like three of us just said, the acronym wouldn't take off and become used.

I edited that, since you all posted while I was posting.

Rye
10-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Tbf, most people don't even realize how many acronyms and short-hand phrases they use every day! It sure helps when we need to communicate something ASAP, whether it be online, or IRL, imho. And whether anyone likes it or not, we're so accustomed to these acronyms and short-hand, that we read them like and hear them and just understand the meaning. That's how our language works. We don't even realize it happening eventually. That's the point some people here are trying to make, imho.

Anyway, brb watching Amelie, later. :flounder:

Madame Adequate
10-11-2008, 05:45 PM
That still doesn't make saying 'brb' or 'lol' or 'wtf' in person any more reasonable.

There is no question of reasonability. It is not about that. You are using completely irrelevent criteria. It's about ease of communication. There's nothing reasonable or unreasonable about it. The only question is whether you communicate effectively.

Momiji
10-11-2008, 05:50 PM

There is no question of reasonability. It is not about that. You are using completely irrelevent criteria. It's about ease of communication. There's nothing reasonable or unreasonable about it. The only question is whether you communicate effectively.

Oh fine.

Y-you'll never make me like it though!~ *hmph* < /false huffiness>

Serapy
10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
There's nothing wrong with using internet acronyms at all, like what MILF said, they are used for making communication easier, i.e. less typing.

Momiji
10-11-2008, 06:29 PM
We're not talking about using them on the internet though!

Moon Rabbits
10-11-2008, 06:42 PM
i lulz and brb irl all the time, kthx.

rubah
10-11-2008, 07:10 PM
man, i still remember the first time I said "lol" aloud. It was very shocking the way it sounded was unlike how I heard it in my head, so I swore it off. Sometimes I will say a long accented 'laaaaaaaaawl' when something is funny but kinda dumb but usually just among friends who understand the internet.

scrumpleberry
10-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I use lol and lulz and epic win/phail and it's the most embarrassing thing in the world.

ANYWAy. Yes, language is changing, so don't worry, but these words are still new enough for me to feel like a crazy big nerd whenever they slip out cx

Serapy
10-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Same thing, really. Someone comes up to me, I write "brb" on a paper and pass it over to that person and I went brb. Very fast and simple!

Quindiana Jones
10-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Ugh. Ruuunughruhg.

Momiji
10-11-2008, 08:17 PM

Same thing, really. Someone comes up to me, I write "brb" on a paper and pass it over to that person and I went brb. Very fast and simple!

This is in the context of vocally communicating. :p

Jessweeee♪
10-11-2008, 08:53 PM
This is what happens to languages over time, they become more and more simplified. Just look at how it was in the past :p

...and yes, I do say "lawl." Not instead of laughing, but as I laugh xD

I don't like it when people go "ell oh ell" or "laugh out loud", though. While we're on this topic, how would you all say OMG if you said it in real life? I never have, but I think "oh-ma-guh."

Shlup
10-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I mock those who use internet acronyms IRL. MOCK!

It's as annoying as otakus who interject random Japanese words into their everyday sentences. If one of my friends told me IRL "OMG Amanda you baka" I would outright smack them.

Fate Fatale
10-11-2008, 09:06 PM

It's as annoying as otakus who interject random Japanese words into their everyday sentences. If one of my friends told me IRL "OMG Amanda you baka" I would outright smack them.

agreed.

Quindiana Jones
10-11-2008, 10:27 PM
I feckin' love you, Shlup.

Momiji
10-12-2008, 01:27 AM

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/momijitsukuyomi/Bffjill.jpg

Lawr
10-12-2008, 01:39 AM
ASAP

Exdeath
10-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Welcome to the degradation of language. It's how it works, it's not a problem.

Fixed.

Fixed in a more articulate manner.
Anywayyy.....
I type like I speak. Sometimes I say in stupid situations "Ololwut?", as a way to either mock or show sarcastic amazement. Only in MGO do I find such abbreviations appropriate, nobody stops in TDM to type "I find your callow playing style funny, newbie. Go to a lower-level room." instead of "LOL noob, gtfo".

Akaria
10-12-2008, 02:33 AM
Ugh. Ruuunughruhg.

QFT.

I think it just sounds dumb to say LOL in person, if you're saying the letters. I'll say "lawl" sarcastically though. OMG sounds dumb too, for that matter. I've actually begun saying inorite though, although I over emphasize it.

rubah
10-12-2008, 02:35 AM
now I know what to text shlup if I ever get ahold of her cell phone number. . .

Rye
10-12-2008, 02:44 AM
I will give you her cell number if you send me that giant cucumber, Miss Allie~ :flounder:

aquatius
10-12-2008, 10:19 AM
With some acronyms, like IMO/IMHO, I had to actually research them to find out what they meant. Using lol in real life is unnaceptable, because it's like saying "I am laughing" when you AREN'T.

Madame Adequate
10-12-2008, 02:17 PM
With some acronyms, like IMO/IMHO, I had to actually research them to find out what they meant. Using lol in real life is unnaceptable, because it's like saying "I am laughing" when you AREN'T.

No, it's saying "I am amused". Just like "I died" doesn't indicate you laughed yourself to death.

Old Manus
10-12-2008, 02:50 PM
I use gg and brb

EDIT: oh sorry guys I forgot to argue with someone

Akaria
10-12-2008, 02:58 PM
I did too, apparently. I'll argue with you, Levian :bigsmile:

Lawr
10-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I did too, apparently. I'll argue with you, Levian :bigsmile:

No! He's mine!

Madame Adequate
10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I use gg and brb

I can tell from the absence of data on editing that you did not in fact edit, you lying rat :nonono:

Lawr
10-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I use gg and brb

I can tell from the absence of data on editing that you did not in fact edit, you lying rat :nonono:

ACTUALLY

If he doesn't refresh or leave the page, the data does not show up! :mad2:

Edit
Forgot angry smiley.

Fujiko
10-13-2008, 03:51 AM
I sometimes say L-O-L 'cause it sounds funny xD But I do it on purpose, it's nothing I've gotten used to (and not noticing).

Madame Adequate
10-13-2008, 03:53 AM
I use gg and brb

ACTUALLY

Edit
Forgot angry smiley.

You use to be cool man

What happened to you

Lawr
10-13-2008, 04:16 AM
I use gg and brb

ACTUALLY

Edit
Forgot angry smiley.

You use to be cool man

What happened to you

lol

rubah
10-13-2008, 04:31 AM
I will give you her cell number if you send me that giant cucumber, Miss Allie~ :flounder:

it rot rot rotted :(

Markus. D
10-13-2008, 05:43 AM
Surely, this is a sign of internet addiction.

Online I've never been one to use internet acronyms. I sort of avoid using them like the plague. Okay not the plague. But some other highly contagious and deadly disease. Perhaps SARS.

However, I seem to have developed a problem: I use internet acronyms in real life. It started out pretty safely, I told others I would 'brb' when I went to the bathroom, or I'd 'wtf' so I wouldn't have to say the actual words.

But it's gotten to the stage where I will sometimes say 'lol' INSTEAD OF LAUGHING. I know, I'm a freak right?

So I guess I'm looking for some reassurance. Do you use internet acronyms in real life? Which ones? I think in this scenario I'd much rather be a sheep than a loner. =P

omgosh! It's you!

and yes, I do, it's pretty sad but we all have fun so, why not :D! (It did become a little bit of a concern at one time where I would say "ExDee" xD)

Big D
10-13-2008, 10:20 AM
My friends say "pwn" and "1337" reasonably often (pronounced as "pown" and "leet"), and we're quite partial to doing things for "the lulz".