PDA

View Full Version : Must Have Movies

Yar
10-12-2008, 07:05 AM
No, no. Not just "must watch" movies that you can rent. We're talking "you seriously need this movie in your collection" movies. What are some of these movies?

I typically don't watch a lot of movies, so for me to buy a movie really says whether I liked it or not.

I've got probably ten or fifteen movies. But one movie that I absolutely will not leave my house is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The movie is so emotionally charged that the first time I saw it, I cried several times. They weren't even supposed to be sad moments! :D

So what are some of your "must-own" movies? Remember, they can't just be great, they have to be really great; purchase-worthy. :greenie:

Coma
10-12-2008, 07:09 AM
I've got probably ten or fifteen movies. But one movie that I absolutely will not leave my house is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The movie is so emotionally charged that the first time I saw it, I cried several times. They weren't even supposed to be sad moments! :DThat movie failed hard.

There Will Be Blood, definitely.

Yar
10-12-2008, 07:10 AM
That movie failed hard.:( Why must you hurt me? :cry:

Coma
10-12-2008, 07:12 AM
That movie failed hard.:( Why must you hurt me? :cry:

Why must you enjoy movies made with soccer moms in mind?

EDIT: Taking time to second my recommendation of There Will Be Blood.

Jessweeee♪
10-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Kung Pow, if you liked it, because just renting simply won't do.

aquatius
10-12-2008, 10:02 AM
For me, it's The Lion King. I cannot cope without it and the awesomeness that is Scar.

Rantz
10-12-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't feel a pressing need to own anything material. I do enjoy having certain TV series neatly packed up in DVD boxes, though.

SNOOZER
10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Fight Club

erikramza
10-12-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't feel a pressing need to own anything material. I do enjoy having certain TV series neatly packed up in DVD boxes, though.
COMPUTERS ARE MATERIAL. SELL YOUR COMPUTER.

Anyways: Snatch, RoboCop, The Good The Bad and The Ugly to name a few.
RoboCop is a maybe. no one in the world likes that movie as much as i seem to.

Rantz
10-12-2008, 02:09 PM

Hardly on topic, but I didn't say I dislike material things. I just said I object to the notion that you'd actually need them. I love having my computer and use it in my line of work, so it would be asinine to sell it. I just don't need it.

erikramza
10-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Hardly on topic, but I didn't say I dislike material things. I just said I object to the notion that you'd actually need them. I love having my computer and use it in my line of work, so it would be asinine to sell it. I just don't need it.

You clearly need a computer in your line of work.

Rantz
10-12-2008, 03:26 PM

You clearly need a computer in your line of work.

I do not. It is merely a tool of convenience. Even if I did need it to work, nothing says I need to pursue this particular line of work.

erikramza
10-12-2008, 04:19 PM
If no human being never needed anything, then we would have nothing.

'I love having my computer and NEED it in my line of work'
Nothing says you need to follow that line. But since it's a computer job, it would be hard to do without a computer. Therefore, need, as opposed to want.

Yar
10-12-2008, 04:20 PM
KK, but what movies do you like? :bigsmile:

erikramza
10-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Anyways: Snatch, RoboCop, The Good The Bad and The Ugly to name a few.
RoboCop is a maybe. no one in the world likes that movie as much as i seem to.

BG-57
10-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Must haves? I'd include Eternal Sunshine all right. I connected strongly with Joel and Clementine, more than the characters in Human Nature or Being John Malkovich (which were good films).

What else? Let's see.

Topsy Turvey on the surface is about Gilbert and Sullivan putting together the Mikado. But it's really about the amazing amount of life and energy artists pour into their work.

Double Indemity is a classic film noir about a murder planned a femme fatale and insurance salesman. But the surprising element is the relationship between the salesman and an insurance adjuster at the same company.

Casablanca is a wonderful film about love and sacrificing that love for the greater good. Wonderful work by supporting actors like Dooley Wilson, Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet.

Sunset Boulevard is about an aging actress trying to make a comeback with the help of a struggling writer and her faithful butler. It's amazing that this indictment of Hollywood greed got made when it did.

Peeping Tom was made around the same time as Psycho, but it makes the audience complicent in the murder, so it was despised and hated at the time it was released. The most sympathetic portrait of a serial killer I've ever seen.

Gone with the Wind is too sentimental about the scourge of slavery in antebellum south, but the performances of the actors make up for it. My favorite touch is they made Mammy the most intelligent and sensible character in the movie. The less said about Prissy the better.

The Wizard of Oz. A classic and amazing ensemble work with all five leads (all from vaudeville). Few movies have featured so many iconic characters. The special effects hold up great for a movie released in 1939.

Nice
10-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Must have movies huh. Okay lets see there's;

Knocked Up
Garden State
The Shawshank Redemption
MASH
Desperado
Wild Things
Heat
The Godfather
Scarface
Star Wars - (the whole six episodes)
Bloodsport
Heavy Metal (I hate the animation, it makes me wanna through up, but great sex man, great sex)

That's good enough.

Craig
10-12-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm sure I could think of a few but for now I will say Withnail and I.

Rantz
10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
If no human being never needed anything, then we would have nothing.

'I love having my computer and NEED it in my line of work'
Nothing says you need to follow that line. But since it's a computer job, it would be hard to do without a computer. Therefore, need, as opposed to want.

PM me if you want to continue to discuss this.

Mittopotahis
10-13-2008, 04:20 AM
I'm not a huge movie fan, but there's a few I'd buy. Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, Anchorman, Shrek (the first one, it's a million times better than the sequels), Lord of the Rings trilogy, all 8 Harry Potter films (I know the last three haven't been released yet, but there's no point in having just five of them), Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Robin Hood: Men in Tights. About all I can think of. :)

Madame Adequate
10-13-2008, 04:35 AM
Waterworld.

Maybe if people actually watched it instead of assuming the popular opinion is right it'd get the recognition it deserves.

Bunny
10-13-2008, 05:02 AM
Waterworld.

Maybe if people actually watched it instead of assuming the popular opinion is right it'd get the recognition it deserves.

Yes.

Probably not a required movie for everyone to have but I enjoy Forgetting Sarah Marshall no matter how many times I see it. :P

Loony BoB
10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Honestly, the only movie that I think everyone in the world should have in their collection is Shaun of the Dead. I mean, it's not the greatest movie of all time but it just seems like the kind of DVD you would expect people to have if they have any kind of reasonable DVD collection.

NeoTifa
10-14-2008, 02:32 PM
lol loves

v for vendetta
the illusionist
phantom of the opera
house of flying daggers
marie antoinette
interview with a vampire
queen of the damned
sweeny todd
resident evil (all)
silent hill
batman (all)
anchorman
blades of glory
benchwarmers

classic list of mine. i <3 the benchwarmers!!!! "steroids make your pee pee smaller""really? there must be steroids in macarroni!!" lol

El Bandito
10-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Pulp Fiction never gets old to me.

I also love Old School for some reason. I've memorized every joke and they still crack me up.

Also, any Kubrick film is always a nice add to a DVD collection.

Montoya
10-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Goodfellas! :excited:

Levian
10-15-2008, 01:22 AM
There's very few movies I can watch twice without being bored to death the second time around. Exceptions to this:

Liar Liar
Edward Scissorhands (I need to see it at around christmas times)
Shaun of the Dead

and I can't recall any other movie I'd like to watch again really.

Balzac
10-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Chinese Ghost Story 1 and 2.

Dolentrean
10-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Casablanca.
Aladdin.
The Shawshank Redemption.
Oceans Eleven.
Die Hard.
Edit: Starwars IV - VI

Miriel
10-15-2008, 08:31 PM
I never ever get tired of watching/listening to Moulin Rouge.

A few weeks ago I watched it back to back. Meaning I watched it the whole way through and when it ended, I just started it from the beginning and watched it again.

BG-57
10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
If you get Scarface, get the edition with the Gunshot and F-word counter. The funniest part is that swearing wins until the final scene; you know the one. :eek:

Værn
10-16-2008, 01:01 AM
A Clockwork Orange.

Real horrorshow.

Ryth
10-16-2008, 02:45 AM
Blade Runner
Indy trilogy (nevever Crystal Skull)
Original Star Wars trilogy
Spaceballs
History of the World Part One
Blazing Saddles
Robin Hood: Men In Tights
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
LotR tril. (extended DVDs)
Scarface
The Godfather
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
SE7EN
The Shawshank Redemption
Die Hard
A Clockwork Orange
Life of Brian
Meaning of Life
Eraserhead
Inland Empire

Vermachtnis
10-16-2008, 03:24 AM
How did you get this far and not mention The Princess Bride? One of my favorite movies of all time.

Værn
10-16-2008, 03:40 AM
How did you get this far and not mention The Princess Bride? One of my favorite movies of all time.
Osnap! I've only seen the movie once, so it slipped my mind. 'Tis awesome, though; the day after I watched it, I got to this point of Dominic Deegan (http://dominic-deegan.com/view.php?date=2005-09-28).

I always start noticing references to movies right after I watch them. In terms of pop culture references, though, The Princess Bride has nothing on A Clockwork Orange. A Clockwork Orange has the Ludovico Technique =)

MedctnStn
10-16-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree with quite a few that have already been mentioned (Lord of the Rings, Monty Python, etc.), but what about:

My Cousing Vinny
Braveheart
The Kiss of the Dragon
Three Kings
Spiderman- all 3

just to name a few

Rocket Edge
10-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Sunset Boulevard is about an aging actress trying to make a comeback with the help of a struggling writer and her faithful butler. It's amazing that this indictment of Hollywood greed got made when it did.
Great film.

The Shawshank Redemption
City of God
The Apartment
12 Angry Men
Death on the Nile
The Count of Monte Cristo
Rocky
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Godfather
Die Hard
It's a Wonderful Life
Lawrence of Arabia
Full Metal Jacket

The truest art of filming I saw was a movie called Bicycle Thieves, but I think the above are the most enjoyable.

BG-57
10-17-2008, 01:48 AM
Should have included Amadeus (more about Salieri than Mozart), Citzen Kane (great story and groundbreaking use of deep focus and fragmented narrative), you should include at least one Miyazaki film (Princess Mononoke is most likely his best although Laputa is more fun and lighthearted.

Ryth
10-17-2008, 04:20 AM

OS HIT. This movie is superb.

Don't bypass the swear filter. - Mulley

Edit: Wow, I wasn't even trying to bypass it. I just type that naturally. My bad Mulley. <3

Kes
10-17-2008, 04:30 AM
Everyone needs to own at least one Disney movie. I'm pretty sure it's a law.

Slothy
10-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Anyone who doesn't own Terminator 2 is a Commie. Since I'm the first to mention it, I can only assume you're all Commies.

The Unknown Guru
10-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Forrest Gump. Period. This movie comes closer to making me feel emotion than anything else in the world. V for Vendetta is also an incredible movie and is worth watching more than once. Finally, just about any epic martial arts movie that made it to the U.S. (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; House of Flying Daggers; Hero) is gonna be pretty good.

Peegee
10-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I used to own T2. I am sure I own it on dvdrip

I remember when Yaridovich asked me what my fav movie was and I gave him these stupid answers like matrix and iron man.

Once a year I watch 'Requiem for a Dream'. I nominate that.

Cleric
10-18-2008, 03:03 AM
Donnie Darko!! <33333

~*~Celes~*~
10-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Braveheart
The Kiss of the Dragon

Also:

The Patriot
Titanic
Kung Pow
The Notebook