PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Day

rubah
10-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Can anyone else think of a worse excuse for a holiday than this?

Seriously, I mean, it's like "Hey, let's celebrate 500 years of native american subjugation in the name of some guy that really didn't do what we think of him for."

Srsly.

Mittopotahis
10-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Over here in Australia, we celebrate the Queen's birthday ON A DAY WHICH ISN'T EVEN HER BIRTHDAY. It's not even near her birthday.

And England apparently doesn't celebrate her birthday. Figure that one out.

Fonzie
10-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Let's celebrate by killing some Native Indians!

Madame Adequate
10-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Should have developed some disease resistence if they wanted to live.

rubah
10-13-2008, 04:24 AM
bacterial attacks just can't compete with those unfair viruses >:[

Goldenboko
10-13-2008, 04:29 AM

Seriously, I mean, it's like "Hey, let's celebrate 500 years of native american subjugation in the name of some guy that really didn't do what we think of him for."

Srsly.

Day off? Let's complain about it!

rubah
10-13-2008, 04:30 AM

Srsly.

The only one I know who gets a day off tomorrow is the post office.

Goldenboko
10-13-2008, 04:34 AM

Srsly.

Well don't ruin it for the post office then.

Jessweeee♪
10-13-2008, 04:35 AM
I get a half day, but that's only because of parent-teacher conferences :(

rubah
10-13-2008, 04:37 AM
it would be more honorable to get a day off in the name of Sweetest Day than this, imho

Jessweeee♪
10-13-2008, 04:38 AM
They don't even teach people about Columbus in school anymore >.>

Madame Adequate
10-13-2008, 04:41 AM
But yeah we could also have an Eriksson Day. Another holiday would be cool.

Especially because we could make a Viking themed one!

Roto13
10-13-2008, 04:49 AM

Srsly.

xD

Bunny
10-13-2008, 05:04 AM

Srsly.

Most high schools I know get Columbus Day off, I know I did when I went. It's also a government holiday which is nice when you work for the government.

Wolf Kanno
10-13-2008, 06:01 AM

Srsly.

I pretty much agree but I had a coworker (Italian American) enlighten me onto something I didn't really think about and that is the notion that Columbus Day is less of a holiday celebrating a historical joke and more about Italian Pride day here in the States. Its like how America celebrated St. Patrick's Day or Cinco De Mayo when its pretty obvious they have little meaning to us in the States. Just some food for thought. :)

rubah
10-13-2008, 06:02 AM
but amerigo vespucci was italian also!

Wolf Kanno
10-13-2008, 06:06 AM

Tyrants and assholes write the history books luv. ;)

Heath
10-13-2008, 09:09 AM
I remember Bill Bryson wasn't keen on Columbus Day because he disliked the idea of celebrating a day in honour of someone who accidentally came across America and for a while thought he was actually in Asia.

However, I've never had the joy of being in America for Columbus Day and don't have any strong feelings one or another.

DarkLadyNyara
10-13-2008, 10:12 AM

Srsly.

My school district didn't celebrate Columbus Day, so I can complain all I want. ;)

Madame Adequate
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM

Srsly.

I pretty much agree but I had a coworker (Italian American) enlighten me onto something I didn't really think about and that is the notion that Columbus Day is less of a holiday celebrating a historical joke and more about Italian Pride day here in the States. Its like how America celebrated St. Patrick's Day or Cinco De Mayo when its pretty obvious they have little meaning to us in the States. Just some food for thought. :)

Actually the massive Irish diaspora in the US makes St. Patrick's Day quite sensible to celebrate.

Also everyone of you wants to be Irish. :monster:

Psychotic
10-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Goldenboko made a funny. What the hell.

Bunny
10-13-2008, 03:25 PM
No he didn't, Psy. Shut up and go sit in your corner.

Peegee
10-13-2008, 04:34 PM
While I sympathize in part of your argument of 'native American subjugation', the entire history of humanity is riddled with people 'stealing' and 'subjugating' each other. That's right, I'm arguing that because everybody does it, it's okay

(Actually a more serious argument would be that I am unable to discern a difference between America and Canada and virtually every other country in the world now thanks to Globalization, and consequently it's better for my moral compass to say 'business as usual' than to make a blanket clam that nobody should be allowed to live where they live unless they have been there for tens of thousands of years)

Columbus probably didn't do anything we say he did, but any day where I make 2.5 times my wage is a good day.

Money trumps all, especially when you are single. Sorry Rubahs.

rubah
10-13-2008, 04:36 PM
but you don't celebrate columbus day, peegies

Peegee
10-13-2008, 04:44 PM

I'm working today, aren't I? Yes.

Today is cdn turkey day. I get paid 2.5x my wage to sit here and surf the internet.

shhh

Flying Mullet
10-13-2008, 04:54 PM

I'm working today, aren't I? Yes.
I can verify this claim. I just checked the company IM app and PG is online working hard at surfing the internets. :mog:

Bahamut2000X
10-13-2008, 05:56 PM

Srsly.

My college gets it off. Mainly because we have a huge statue of Columbus in the middle of the campus. For the longest time I just thought it was a fruit who liked to cross dress. >.>

Yar
10-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Isn't today Canadian Thanksgiving? Talk about a stupid holiday. :rolleyes2

JSYK: The American Government observes Columbus Day on Canadian Thanksgiving Day so the banks are closed on the same day.

Peegee
10-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Isn't today Canadian Thanksgiving? Talk about a stupid holiday. :rolleyes2

JSYK: The American Government observes Columbus Day on Canadian Thanksgiving Day so the banks are closed on the same day.

That and other government offices. Which I find odd since we don't do the same for other holidays. Help?

Quindiana Jones
10-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Even better is "Hey, let's celebrate because some dude couldn't find India!".

I saw a great statue of the guy in SF or somewhere, and he was basically dressed like Superman. It was brilliant.

stalpho slayer
10-13-2008, 10:04 PM

Tyrants and assholes write the history books luv. ;)

Tyrants and assholes also end up in them look at busch and hitler

Quindiana Jones
10-13-2008, 10:07 PM
The winning tyrants write the books to make the losing tyrants look bad.

kikimm
10-13-2008, 10:18 PM
I always hated Columbus Day when I was at school because there would be loads and loads of peanut butter-filled celery sticks around. It was death! Why celebrate Columbus Day with peanut butter and celery

rubah
10-14-2008, 12:40 AM
'cause you went to hippy school in califooooooooooooonia

Madame Adequate
10-14-2008, 12:58 AM
(Actually a more serious argument would be that I am unable to discern a difference between America and Canada and virtually every other country in the world now thanks to Globalization

Goddamn PG I love when you talk like this :aimkiss:

Levian
10-14-2008, 01:38 AM
I wonder what kind of ass actually arranged the first Columbus party. Either way, if he was alive today I bet he'd be an xbox fanboy.

What? I'm not allowed to turn threads into console wars?

Yar
10-14-2008, 01:41 AM
I wonder what kind of ass actually arranged the first Columbus party. Either way, if he was alive today I bet he'd be an xbox fanboy.

What? I'm not allowed to turn threads into console wars?

Wikipedia knows all:
The first Columbus Day celebration was held in 1792, when New York City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City) celebrated the 300th anniversary of his landing in the New World. In 1892, President Benjamin Harrison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Harrison) called upon the people of the United States to celebrate Columbus Day on the 400th anniversary of the event.

Some Italian-Americans observe Columbus Day as a celebration of their heritage, the first occasion being in New York City on October 12, 1866.[1][2] Columbus Day was popularized as a holiday in the United States by a lawyer, a son of Genoese immigrants who came to California. During the 1850s, Genoese immigrants settled and built ranches along the Sierra Nevada foothills. As the gold ran out, these skilled "Cal-Italians", from the Apennines, were able to prosper as self-sufficient farmers in the Mediterranean climate of Northern California. San Francisco has the second oldest Columbus Day celebration, with Italians having commemorated it there since 1869.

This lawyer then moved to Colorado, which had a population of Genoese miners, and where, in 1907, the first state-wide celebration was held. In 1934, at the behest of the Knights of Columbus (a Catholic fraternal service organization named for the voyager), Congress and President Franklin Delano Roosevelt set aside Columbus Day, October 12, as a Federal holiday (36 USC 107, ch. 184, 48 Stat. 657).

Since 1971, the holiday has been commemorated in the U.S. on the second Monday in October, the same day as Thanksgiving in neighboring Canada. It is generally observed today by banks, the bond market, the U.S. Postal Service and other federal agencies, most state government offices, and many school districts; however, most businesses and stock exchanges remain open.

Laddy
10-14-2008, 02:45 AM
I find Labor Day to be ridiculous.