PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving

Roto13
10-13-2008, 04:50 AM
To my fellow Canadians. ;o Eat turkey and be happy.

My family celebrated it a day early. :P And I'm a really picky eater so I ended up going to McDonalds. I won an ice cream cone, making this the best Thanksgiving ever.

Madame Adequate
10-13-2008, 04:52 AM
What... what do Canadians have to be thankful for? :confused:

Bunny
10-13-2008, 05:03 AM
Not being Americans.

rubah
10-13-2008, 05:06 AM
technically they are.

Rye
10-13-2008, 05:07 AM
I don't really like Thanksgiving, to be honest. =O

My favorite Thanksgiving would be to eat pizza and go fishing, but instead people have to eat Turkey and that flobby jello looking stuff. Yuck!

The Summoner of Leviathan
10-13-2008, 05:08 AM
:( I gets no Thanksgiving. My family is like 800km away. :/ Someone bake me a turkey and make some homemade stuffing for me?

I'll love you forever and ever if you do!

Bunny
10-13-2008, 05:09 AM
technically they are.

Say hello to the dead rat nailed to your door for me.

Dolentrean
10-13-2008, 05:09 AM
McDonalds sucks.

Tavrobel
10-13-2008, 05:26 AM
I don't really like Thanksgiving, to be honest. =O

My favorite Thanksgiving would be to eat pizza and go fishing, but instead people have to eat Turkey and that flobby jello looking stuff. Yuck!

You mean cranberry sauce, which is sweet and delicious, and goes perfectly with turkey, ham, gravy, and stuffing?

Yeah, yuck indeed. I wouldn't want to eat free good food, either.

Rye
10-13-2008, 05:29 AM
Well, I don't like turkey, so I guess that's why I don't like it! I am very picky. I much prefer chicken. =O

rubah
10-13-2008, 05:41 AM
technically they are.

I'm not paying the $250 to get the door replaced!

XxSephirothxX
10-13-2008, 05:46 AM
So I heard the Canadian economy is actually pretty solid what is up with that

kikimm
10-13-2008, 05:50 AM
technically they are.

I'm not paying the $250 to get the door replaced!

Nah no need just spackle it where the hole from the nail is 8-) Might look a little funny but

theundeadhero
10-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Turkey is gross! Chicken is gross! Cranberries are gross!

Gross Gross Gross

Aerith's Knight
10-13-2008, 11:50 PM

Army policy.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9220/canadacz3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Roto13
10-13-2008, 11:56 PM
We had Sea Kings before they were Pokemans.

Leeza
10-14-2008, 12:02 AM
canadian police chase - Google Video (http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=canadian+police+chase&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f&aq=f#)

I had a tofu stirfry. :)

Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians. At least we get a day off work today. :)

Aerith's Knight
10-14-2008, 12:07 AM
canadian police chase - Google Video (http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=canadian+police+chase&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f&aq=f#)
Happy Thanksgiving, Canadians. At least we get a day off work today. :)

Have my babies.

I laughed so hard. xD

Exdeath
10-14-2008, 12:09 AM

Army policy.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9220/canadacz3.jpg

I lol'd.
My American (because Canada isn't in North America, duh) friends celebrated by making a short round of Canada jokes and getting on with our lives.

NeoTifa
10-14-2008, 12:10 AM
minus the whole leeza comment, ak, i love you <3 sweetest pic evar!!!

and leeza, you earned +10 coolness points with me for that vid. now youre at -100000000090

Yar
10-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Well, while this is Canadian Thanksgiving, I'd like to say that I'm thankful for some Canada's gifts to the States, such as ice hockey, The Kids in the Hall, and Tim Hortons. It would be great if you could take Celine Dion back though. If you don't we'll re-gift her to Zimbabwe.

Levian
10-14-2008, 01:58 AM
I don't like turkeys. They can't fly, they're ugly and what comes out of their mouth is at best considered as noise, you'd think it woud be the perfect animal to eat without feeling guilty about killing it, but oh no! The turkey insists on tasting awful just to be useful for absolutely nothing.

Sorry. I get passionate when I talk about birds.

erikramza
10-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Turkey is the best meat in town, get out of here.

Peegee
10-14-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm going to deviate from my usual idiotic / openly critical / trolling / spamming rhetoric to say something about Thanksgiving.

Typically Thanksgiving is not celebrating the colonizing of Canada/USA/etc/misc from indigenous peasants who were far too under-educated and under-developed to have stood a chance. Since I don't believe in ideas like 'social Darwinism' it means that I fluctuate between extreme guilt and amoral bliss. Usually the latter. But I already explained my views in the Columbus Day (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/120705-columbus-day.html#post2578151) thread.

I don't need Thanksgiving day to realize this. I do it every time I see my friends and every time I wake up to go to work. I do it every time I go out to drive my car, every time I see my cripplingly small bank account and crippling debt, and think to myself 'hey if you cashed out, you still have enough money to put a down payment on a house'. I complain because it's necessary for me to feign caring about trivialities to appear like a normal citizen.

I hinted at my thesis in advance, as usual. I am lucky. And not in the oops you were born in Canada lucky, though that does account for some of it; this is especially false since I immigrated here. I mean I don't bloody deserve this. Give it to somebody else who deserves this. Dear God I cannot be nice enough to other people lucky. Let me say this one more time just in case it hasn't sank in: I consider myself immeasurably lucky to be in the position I am in.

There's never anything I genuinely want to have because every time I think my life can't get any better, something ridiculously amazing happens like Chemical gets me intoxicated on substances and convinces me to move in with her, or that when people talk to me about politics and mention ideas like 'peace means having the bigger stick' and 'peace means having to fight for it', I realize that I technically never have to do any of that.

My parents immigrated to this country bankrupt and worked to keep their punk kids alive long enough for their spoiled little asses to support themselves. I fooled around through my education and still managed to pick up a job that has given me enough hands-on training that I'm assured of employment regardless of the outcome of my account (my dedication to my job has a factor in this but still). My friends make slightly more money than I do but do they get to sit at home all day playing world of...I mean working? I don't think so.

Incidentally my parents told me about a government job that pays 30% more money and we still decided not for me to take it. I get to spend time with friends here and besides I'd waste so much money taking it. I'm not trying to show off here. Bear with me

I love my genes. I'm the progeny of an Olympic athlete (yes really) and despite pissing it away with inactivity for years I am able to get it back together in a matter of months. The simple thought of the future and what I might look like then gives me a glee that rivals even my mirror lusting narcissism. My brother and I constantly joke about how he's just turning 25 and without exercising he's still fine. I've told him about the benefit of exercise on top of genetics, and I expect eventually he'll be every bit just as awesome as ever.

We used to joke about how 'this is what the McDonald's diet gives you' and flex our abs. Lawl

Look, if you think I'm tooting my own horn you haven't been paying attention. I. Am. Smurfing. Lucky. And I know it. I almost desperately try to find ways to help people. I never say no to helping people if I can help it. Does that make me a tool? Probably. But really now, if you were incessantly asked to do completely trivial tasks over and over, what harm does it have on you? None. I'm just as successful as I would be if I were a selfish git, and actually more so, because now I have more friends who know I'm a dependable asset.

This is where I put everything in perspective. I love the position / situation I'm in, and the country (ies -- if we combine N. America) that allows this to be possible. I have attempted to make the argument that I've earned virtually none of this, though others have said that my success comes as a result (albeit partially) due to personal motivation and positive attitude. Maybe -- I don't see how a nihilist can have a positive attitude but there you go. Consequently, this conflict of 'did I earn this?' has given me the drive to be an incessant champion of aid without even the thought of reward.

I have the most bizarre (admittedly) moral/ethical ideas. I consider acts of appreciation to be meaningful and statements of appreciating to be noise (I have since recognized that it is merely a statement asserting appreciation). I consider the act of saying 'please' to be ridiculous -- I'll almost invariably find a way to say yes and will actually feel bad if I can't; but don't tell anybody this. I say please to other people out of deference to their values, but I assure you it comes at the last resort -- I have been raised to be self sufficient and will exhaust all options prior to seeking aid. In short, I try to maximize my benefit while minimizing my burden (if you know me in person you know there are ways I can improve this. Too bloody bad for you).

In short (I say this to spite you), I consider people in a similar position as me to be beyond fortunate. The time period I live in (if I lived even 25 years ago I wouldn't have any of this), the supposed 'social' position and the wealth I enjoy (friends, family, monies) is ridiculous. As I made mention above, there isn't any way I could repay all of this.

And that's what I have to be thankful for, and I barely scratched the surface.

Madame Adequate
10-14-2008, 03:05 AM

It isn't, it just hasn't fallen apart yet. When it finally does Canada will be hit worse than the UK or US has been.

Peegee
10-14-2008, 03:11 AM

It isn't, it just hasn't fallen apart yet. When it finally does Canada will be hit worse than the UK or US has been.

What solid? My portfolio has dipped 40% since September.

If I can maintain my job through, this, I will hopefully be able to acquire a ridiculous amount by buying when the price is low. But if the price is low, everything else is low, and blah blah chain reaction.

One can hope.