PDA

View Full Version : Hoe noes! It's the grammar police!

Goldenboko
10-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Last edited by Flying Mullet; 10-15-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: saved "your ass", not "you're ass"

:monster:

How do you prefer your grammar?

scrumpleberry
10-15-2008, 09:36 PM
not stupidly written, and not correcting stupid small errors kthxbai (for example, I sometimes get letters mixed up when I typle or preempt myself and type letters before they're due. if i miss them when i look over the message i don't think they should be corrected, it's just pedantic.)

Yar
10-15-2008, 09:37 PM
I think grammar is fun. I'm not ashamed to say that, either. Grammar was the only thing I liked about English class.

I Don't Need A Name
10-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Grammar must be correct!

Rantz
10-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I think decent grammar is acceptable on certain occasions.

demondude
10-15-2008, 09:40 PM
I like my grammar pink in the middle, but not overdone.

Exdeath
10-15-2008, 09:45 PM
I love the smell of fresh cooked grammar.

Værn
10-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Grammar should be burnt to a crisp. Every imperfection must be cooked out of it. Sentence fragment.

Zeldy
10-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I hate bad grammar, I'm always correcting people on msn xD I'm always like 'DONT YOU MEAN THEY'RE NOT THEIR, OMFGZ'.

Raebus
10-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Grammar Nazi's are annoying.

Cookie
10-15-2008, 10:25 PM

>_>

Yar
10-15-2008, 10:25 PM

That apostrophe is incorrect usage, by the way.

:greenie:

Exdeath
10-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Grammar Nazis are annoying.

That is incorrect apostrophe usage, by the way.

:greenie:

Fixed.

Raebus
10-15-2008, 10:39 PM
^^

I don't need to explain why I think they're annoying now. :cool:
If you can understand what someone is saying, then I don't see the point in pointing out a grammar mistake when the message is perfectly readable.

rubah
10-15-2008, 10:41 PM
e. eestlin cummings

Exdeath
10-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Relax, that was just us kidding around. While I don't like people pointing out minor imperfections in the sentences of other people, really bad grammar is one of those things I can't resist giving a verbal slap in the face over.

Yar
10-15-2008, 10:44 PM
^^

I don't need to explain why I think they're annoying now. :cool:
If you can understand what someone is saying, then I don't see the point in pointing out a grammar mistake when the message is perfectly readable.

xD My friend and I will do that all the time for kicks. We correct each other's grammar, but do so with incorrect grammar usage. :)

We're dorks. :D

Bunny
10-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Grammar police have small dicks and self-esteem issues which they must correct by enforcing their only true talents onto people who aren't as misfortunate and lonely as they are. Little do they know that, in the long run, they are as useless as a retarded baby.

To answer the question, I prefer my grammar riddled with errors and incorrect sentence structure. I also like my periods, semi-colons, and apostrophes to be misplaced. In addition, I believe that every sentence should begin and end with a preposition while not conforming to the standards of a language that contradicts itself at every step. The upholders of such ridiculous rules such as those found within the English language should be drawn, quartered, and burned at the stake for their crimes against common sense. Everyone makes mistakes, don't make others feel bad for theirs just because yours was breathing.

NeoTifa
10-15-2008, 11:41 PM
i hate all of you grammer nazis!!!! i like mines raw!!!

JKTrix
10-16-2008, 04:19 AM
I make it a point to try and type properly all the time. A long time ago when I would be lazy on the internet, that laziness started to bleed into my work. So, I try to be perpetually proper to keep some consistency.

I tend not to to correct people online though, unless they're just plain using incorrect words. The 'GrammarNazi' commenter on this recent anime blog post (http://that.animeblogger.net/2008/10/14/kannagi-episode-2-a-childhood-friend-no-wai/) is me...

Momiji
10-16-2008, 04:32 AM
I tend not to to correct people online though, unless they're just plain using incorrect words. The 'GrammarNazi' commenter on this recent anime blog post (http://that.animeblogger.net/2008/10/14/kannagi-episode-2-a-childhood-friend-no-wai/) is me...

That blogger disrespects the excellence that is Kannagi thus far. He had it coming. Nice one. :D

In school, I was well-known for proofreading papers for my friends, and I was an editor for the school newspaper and the yearbook as well. I've always been very good with grammar and spelling (actually, it's one of the very few things I can say I'm good at with absolutely no remorse whatsoever). So, naturally, I'm a grammar nazi-- but I've learned to refrain from correcting people unless I really feel it needs to be done. :D

NeoTifa
10-16-2008, 02:08 PM
im still the only person who said raw....

Marshall Banana
10-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I prefer my grammar to be better than others' grammar; that's all. =O

KoShiatar
10-16-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm not a grammar freak with others, but I try to use the best grammar I know and highly appreciate when others do so as well.

Kes
10-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I prefer people to know it, if not use it perfectly all the time.

My pet peeves include good instead of well, then/than mixups, qualifying "unique"*, and irregardless. I usually don't correct them, but they drive me crazy.

*I'm guilty of this one still, but I'm trying to phase it out.

Krelian
10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I usually refrain from correcting others, not least because I know I sometimes make mistakes, too. If someone regularly makes the same mistake, I point it out, though.

qualifying "unique"*, and irregardless.
Could you give me an example of those?

Yar
10-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I usually refrain from correcting others, not least because I know I sometimes make mistakes, too. If someone regularly makes the same mistake, I point it out, though.

qualifying "unique"*, and irregardless.
Could you give me an example of those?

"That dog is the most unique of the group." Unique cannot be qualified. If something is unique, it can't be anymore unique than something else.

Irregardless is awkward, and some would consider it a double-negative. Regardless is preferred.

Exdeath
10-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Grammar police have small dicks and self-esteem issues which they must correct by enforcing their only true talents onto people who aren't as misfortunate and lonely as they are. Little do they know that, in the long run, they are as useless as a retarded baby

Well excuuse me, princess!

Krelian
10-16-2008, 10:43 PM
"That dog is the most unique of the group." Unique cannot be qualified. If something is unique, it can't be anymore unique than something else.

Irregardless is awkward, and some would consider it a double-negative. Regardless is preferred.

Thank you, Yaridovich :)

scrumpleberry
10-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Well you could argue that simply because of the amount of times people mistakenly qualify unique, it is beginning to mean "unusual" - but I'm not for the qualification of unique by any means ;(

Realm25
10-17-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm a big fan of good grammar, even though sometimes mine isn't perfect. I at least try though, which is more than I can say for about 90% of people that play WoW and type like "omgz can u hlp me plz plz cuz i r new".

Laddy
10-17-2008, 03:06 AM
boornt tu eae creesp.

Holylulu
10-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Medium...I guess...:D

Jiro
10-19-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm sure my grammar can be wrong sometimes, but I do my best to make sure I write properly. That being said, I hate the English language with a passion. It is fair too complex, and has fair too many contradictions. But I still make the effort.

Also, I try not to correct people even if I have the urge too. I don't want to offend them, or give them the impression I think that they're stupid. :D

scrumpleberry
10-19-2008, 11:54 AM
What a lovely pyramid.

Jiro
10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
The votes, you mean? :)

Quindiana Jones
10-19-2008, 12:33 PM
I like mine with a kiss.