PDA

View Full Version : omg I wish this was in more Final Fantasy games

Saber
10-16-2008, 05:40 PM
I made a thread like this a while back, but here it comes again. I've known in a lot of final fantasy games there is something unique. A most powerful/silly item of some sort. Like "the offering" in ff6 or break limits in ff10, bubble in ff12. Whats something that you liked that isn't in most of the games?

Bolivar
10-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Fat Chocobo! Well, he shouldn't be needed at all, but I do wish he was in more games!

An airship like The Invincible, it has rest area, fat choco, shops, and even helps you out in battle! It's like a mobile fortress/base of operations.

Actually now that i think about it, there's alot of things in FFIII I would have liked in other games.

Exdeath
10-16-2008, 09:03 PM
^Those things are in IV ;)

Wind_Falcon
10-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I would like characters actually dying...

And not come back like in IV :D

Iceglow
10-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Triple Triad (most addictive minigame ever apart from maybe blitzball, far superior to tetra master), Blitzball (I hate sport games, but love Blitzball because it whilst being simple involved the main storyline, I guess I just want more from games than endless sports especially ones I could do at home), Irvine Kinneas' limit break (choosing the ammo and pulling the trigger, should be faster though depending on speed stat so my grinding skills would pay off when I had 255 speed), Chocobo breeding, Battle Arena (FFVII style), The auction House in Treno, The Blue Narcissis (Too many FF games focus on airships, IX had an actual ship which rocked, if only it featured more in the storyline than "we must go here, but theres no mist there!" kind of thing) Pennance, FFIX's skill learning system....theres a few things I think need to be used more in FF games.

Oh and one other thing, more FF games should involve megalithic battles between summons like IX did because THAT scene with Bahamut was AWESOMESAUCE!

Bolivar
10-19-2008, 10:43 PM
^Those things are in IV ;)

Well, I just think fat choco needs to be in more games.

And the Lunar Whale is nowhere near as tricked out as the Invincible!

Wolf Kanno
10-20-2008, 02:39 AM
Probably a lot of things from IX. Especially the Character Event options they blatantly stole from Star Ocean 2. IX did them better. :cool:

Seriously IX has a lot of cool little ideas and concepts that should have been kept.

Elly
10-20-2008, 10:13 AM
IX just took all the cool ideas and concepts from previous FFs and mixed them all together in a tribute to FFs past... some will say that they did everything right by doing so while others see it as mearly a rehashing of old ideas...

.:kerrod:.
10-20-2008, 01:43 PM
definitely chocobo breeding, that was awesome...and on a related topic, bring back world maps! they were one of the best parts of the PSX Final Fantasies...the quest to get your airship so you can traverse the world! (and, of course, you could ride your chocobos on the world map :D)

come on guys! who's with me?......guys?........:(

Nice
10-20-2008, 01:57 PM
I liked how in VII, VIII and IX the towns in the world map, were shorter than the character sprites, i loved that. While the topic is things we miss, the summons man, ifrit, shiva and bahamut, they need to return. I liked ffXII and all, but it just felt strange w/o those little things.

Breeding chocobos was fun, but a pain in the ass. The card games always pissed me off (well in VIII) because there were one time only cards during certain events in the game.

black orb
10-20-2008, 03:56 PM
>>> Submarines and a large underwater map to explore, any decent rpg should have at least that.

NeoTifa
10-20-2008, 06:09 PM
plot

qwertysaur
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
The job system from FFIII, FFV, & FFX-2. (Yes. It is a variation of the system, and that part of the game was done very well.):p

It allows for so much party customization without flooding the cast with characters.

Ouch!
10-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Probably a lot of things from IX. Especially the Character Event options they blatantly stole from Star Ocean 2. IX did them better. :cool:

Seriously IX has a lot of cool little ideas and concepts that should have been kept.
Aye. I rather liked the ATE system, and was thoroughly disappointed when it didn't reappear in later titles. It offered optional little bits for you to get insight from characters other than the lead, something that Final Fantasy titles very often fail to do.

Iceglow
10-20-2008, 10:15 PM
I liked how in VII, VIII and IX the towns in the world map, were shorted than the character sprites, i loved that. While the topic is things we miss, the summons man, ifrit, shiva and bahamut, they need to return. I liked ffXII and all, but it just felt strange w/o those little things.

Breeding chocobos was fun, but a pain in the ass. The card games always pissed me off (well in VIII) because there were one time only cards during certain events in the game.

I think touching on your first part here Nice, World maps were awesome with the random encounter and characters slightly bigger than scale should be it made for much exploring especially in VIII where there were places you could visit which had no effect or part in the plot of the games main storyline (winhill I count here because it only features in a dream, other places include: Shumi village, the ruins in the Centra continent, the big deep hole that sends garden haywire in Trabia ect) but add to the coolness and/or depth of the storyline.

As for the Triple Triad card game in VIII having one time only cards in there, actually all you have to do is complete the Queen of Cards quest and the CC club (card collectors club?) quest in Garden to be able to get any one time only card or rare card again this includes if you modified the card on disc 3/4 however I will say it's a pain in the proverbial ass to get them twice over or sometimes (Ifrit card and cards in the Queen of Cards quest) three times over personally I loose only what I need to complete my deck and never modify unique cards it may be tedious but you can eventually refine every item in the game through monster slaying and drop collecting. Tetra Master on the other hand introduced a random element where not even having better stats could guarantee your card winning not to mention 8 way card combat became very confusing Triple Triad was and is the best card sub/mini game in the FF history, it was difficult if you didn't figure it out and yet simple enough that a person could eventually figure out how to get things and do so.

.:kerrod:.
10-20-2008, 10:58 PM
The job system from FFIII, FFV, & FFX-2. (Yes. It is a variation of the system, and that part of the game was done very well.):p

It allows for so much party customization without flooding the cast with characters.

oooh, this too...i love the 'jobs' aspect, hence why i love FF:Tactics and FF:TA so much :love:

NeoTifa
10-21-2008, 05:23 PM
job class. not ffta though, cuz i dunno wtf is ever going on in that game. fft was gold

MJN SEIFER
10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I'd have liked the "Scan" technique ("Sense" in FFVII) to have been like it was in FFVIII in every FF game. I loved it how aswell as the useuall HP/MP data, and elemental weeknesses, there was a sort of description of the enemy, and it looked like they where anaylized propperly buy something - you could even use it on your own team.

Iceglow
10-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Indeed the Scan spell in FFVIII was a masterpiece of ingenuity I suppose it's difficult with FF games containing so many opponents to write descriptions for them all (I do this for a game with 300 - 500 monster units, 13 races and around 200 npc characters so understand it is not easy to write something though it's easier for Square, they have pictures to work from. I often only have a name and my imagination) Still Scan was a huge success and great fun to use. I have noticed however that sometimes it comes out with HP: ????/???? randomly including on Fasticalon-F enemies on Balamb's Rinaul Coast at times I am not sure why this is.

MJN SEIFER
10-22-2008, 05:36 PM
I think it's the same as how certain enemies can't be scanned in other FFs, but in thoes it would just say "Couldn't Scan/Sense" or something, but as the FFVIII version has a description, that still has to be shown, so the just make the HP unreadable.

Iceglow
10-22-2008, 10:21 PM
No thats not the case, sure some bosses might have ????/???? hp but well this was a bog standard Fasticalon-F (for those lacking good memory these are the sand shark/piranha style things in the start of the game on the beach at balamb) and I had scanned another Fasticalon-F 2 fights prior to this and gotten a hp readout I guess sometimes it just bugs or something. Still great spell and so useful.

Wolf Kanno
12-11-2008, 04:49 AM
After playing a bit of FFIII-V recently... (don't ask).

I must say, I really miss the Dancer and Piano extras. Running into different dancers that bedazzle the party with their grace or just learning to play the piano (though VII and VIII sorta had it). They were just fun and I felt they lighten the mood at times. :p

Zeromus_X
12-11-2008, 05:08 AM

Indeed, the "Private Actions" really added a lot of depth to the FFIX characters.

Stormie BluJay
12-11-2008, 05:10 AM
I miss the humor... Why did it have to go?? Up until X, everything was bluntly humorous as points. Even in VII there were hilarious moments. I miss them so much! Then there's the whole parody thing in MQ. That just made me fall over laughing. I also miss the religious aspects, like in ToF and FFT and such.

blackmage_nuke
12-12-2008, 03:48 PM
The "Bolt" spell and the engineer class.