PDA

View Full Version : Ouch, this's gotta hurt McCain

Vivisteiner
10-19-2008, 07:58 PM
YouTube - Colin Powell Endorses Barack Obama (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T_NMZv6Vfh8&feature=user)

Impressive interview for Colin Powell.

Tavrobel
10-19-2008, 08:01 PM
You know why it's funny? Because Powell isn't technically black.

qwertysaur
10-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Yet another blow to McCain. What next? Sarah Palin Endorsing the drug lords of columbia?

Vivisteiner
10-19-2008, 08:10 PM
^I think an endorsement of Bill Ayers is next in Palin's agenda tbh.

Madame Adequate
10-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Quite blatantly, the Republican candidate needed to be Colin Powell.

Quindiana Jones
10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Haha, burn.

Nominus Experse
10-19-2008, 10:05 PM
The Lawlzasaurus came to me just now.

Laddy
10-19-2008, 11:01 PM
YAY OBAMA!

Yar
10-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Hell, I've already voted.

Dignified Pauper
10-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Well, lets also consider the fact that Powell was screwed over by the entire Bush Administration. He was forced to take the brunt force of the foreign world's scrutiny against America.

However, he is right. Obama stands with the ability to completely revitalize America's political system. If you know anything about his rise to political stardom, he has used the political machine to his advantage, without ever being inside of it. He has an insatiable hunger for knowledge and he really stands for legitimate change.

NeoCracker
10-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Did NOT see this endorsment coming.

I think this has basically sealed the deal for Obama. :p

Kirobaito
10-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Quite blatantly, the Republican candidate needed to be Colin Powell.
Something I found amazing: Colin Powell is seventy-one years old.

But yeah, I would almost consider voting for Powell had he been the Republican nominee. Assuming his VP pick was also a moderate like Olympia Snowe.

Nice
10-20-2008, 01:05 AM
The point was made that Obama is a transformational figure that America needs. Good point and a splendid interview by Mr. Powell.

Peegee
10-20-2008, 01:06 AM
I have this distinct feeling McCain doesn't even care any more. He's just pushing the limit of what he can get away with.

Seriously, I don't see him trying any more. I expect an Obama landslide.

XxSephirothxX
10-20-2008, 01:15 AM
It was only a matter of time. Surprised it didn't come a month or two ago, really.

Earthworm Jim
10-20-2008, 01:33 AM
This really sucks for McCain because the endorsement will be on the news for the next few days, which McCain desperately needed to change the narrative of "McCain is going to lose". Even if the endorsement itself doesn't sway anyone, it takes free time away from McCain that he can use to change the media narrative, and every second he can get is precious when the election is almost two weeks away.

That said, unless there's some serious election fraud or a huge Obama-related scandal, McCain is in deep doo-doo.

Big D
10-20-2008, 01:57 AM
I respect General Powell, and it's almost a shame that he hasn't become a presidential candidate as well. If not for his involvement with the 2003 Iraq invasion and the false intelligence used to instigate it (even though he apparently opposed the war itself), he'd be a good man to lead the country. I'm also pleased to see him being so outspokenly critical of what he sees as the serious flaws in his own party, including this quote:
I'm also troubled by, not what Senator McCain says, but what members of the Republican Party say... such things as 'Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim'. Well the correct answer is, 'He's not a Muslim, he's a Christian, he's always been a Christian'. But the really right answer is, 'What if he is?' Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer is 'No', that's not America."

:edit: It's gonna be fun to see how the ultra-conservative hard-liners try to spin this. How to discredit Powell and his endorsement? The man's a Republican, after all. I guess they could brand him a "liberal" and a "traitor", or say he's racist. Pretty weak and shallow argument though. They could say he lacks credibility because of the Iraq intelligence scandal... but that goes against the Republican line that the war was entirely justified.

:edit2:
Fox News to the 'rescue' (http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/19/colin-powell-endorses-obama/)
"Well, I have always admired and respected General Powell. We are longtime friends. This doesn't come as a surprise. But I am also very pleased to have the endorsement of four former secretaries of state ... and I am proud to have the endorsement of well over 200 retired army generals and admirals," McCain said, noting the support offered by Henry Kissinger, James Baker, Lawrence Eagleburger and Alexander Haig."My generals are bigger than your general, you evil liberal!!111"

The Ceej
10-20-2008, 07:14 PM
I'd been telling my brother that this was going to be the biggest electoral ass-reaming since Reagan/Mondale.

Of course, that's why I'm going to owe him $40 if Obama doesn't win by 15 or more electoral college votes. I have faith that he will.

Ouch!
10-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Interesting that Obama said he might be looking forward to Powell's advice in the next four years. Anyone else smelling cabinet appointment? I know I am.

Edit: Apparently Obama has been fairly explicit that such an offer is open, and I'm just a bit slow on the uptake.