PDA

View Full Version : Best version of game?

SilverWind
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
What's the best version, or your favorite, of any of the Final Fantasies, that remains truest to the original Japanese version?

Such as FFIV for SNES, as opposed to the PS1 version, the GBA version, or the DS version, etc.

hhr1dluv
10-19-2008, 11:21 PM
I don't know anything about the Japanese versions, but I can usually say that I like the most recent installment best for a given title. Although, the only game I've played in multiple incarnations was FFIV, and even with that game, I've only played the GBA and DS versions. IMO, the DS version feels like a totally different game/experience, so I can't really judge them against each other. I have to say though, the SNES FF I've played (FFVI as FFIII) was really great, but the translation seemed a little funky. I could only imagine that I would enjoy the GBA version more.

Wolf Kanno
10-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Probably the GBA versions of V and VI as their new scripts and localization make them 100x more epic and enjoyable. FFT: War of the Lions also gained some excellent new translations and some awesome new extra story parts that actually expand some characters and best of all, doesn't feel tacked on. I want to play IV DS before I make a judgment call on this game.

Overall, SE has done a phenomenal job on their ports and puts extra care to make each of them retains their excellent quality.

Bolivar
10-21-2008, 12:48 AM
I like Sky Render's RPGOne translation of FFVI, as far as staying close to japanese goes. Prostitution references and tons of profanity make it almost an entirely different game.

Actually, yeah, I would definately go that far, the context of the original Japanese makes it an entirely different game.