PDA

View Full Version : It will ruin friendships. It's DOKAPON KINGDOM

Dignified Pauper
10-19-2008, 11:52 PM
upon searching for a dokapon kingdom thread, I was VERY sad to see there was no thread. Therefor, I made one. Rejoice.

What is Dokapon Kingdom? Well, imagine mario party, monopoly, and standard RPGs all got together and conceived a child. You'd get the money making schemes of monopoly, the board game aspect of mario party, and the story and battle mechanics of an RPG, and what you get is a truly satisfying experience.

Why Dokapon Kingdom? I dunno, why not. It has been released for Wii and PS2 with the only differences being that the Wii has better resolutions. No online multiplayer, REPEAT: NO ONLINE MULTIPLAYER! While I agree that sucks for wii people, it still is one of the best party games ever made ever.

Why?

Well, let us analyze what all you can do. You start by picking a character, male or female, from three classes, and a color. You travel around a board doing odd little quests for the King and NPCs you might meet on the way, and you liberate towns from pesky monsters. You level up, you can class change after your class gets leveled, and you can also battle your fellow players, steal from them, etc. If you battle a fellow player and win, you have several options. You can change there name to ANYTHING. That's right, obscene things, so that it can read anything when it says "It is ________'s turn." With no online play, you can't be censored. Further, you can put poop in their hair, steal their items or cities, or deface them. If that's not enough, you can also disguise yourself as an opponent and then commit terrible acts in there name, causing a bounty to be posted for them in HUGE sums of money.

Now, while the single player campaign isn't nearly as fun as playing with friends, it still offers a lot of depth and gameplay. From being in last place and being filled with revenge and turning into a darkling to being the leader and able to buy whatever you want, there is truly a lot of great ways to customize, play, and build your character's stats.

What is most enjoyable is the quirky fun atmosphere the game takes on. It's cute, it's lovable, and ultimately, when playing with friends, is the result of GREAT frustration. Say you just found an amazing legendary weapon, and then you get it stolen... FRUSTRATION. Say you just gained control of a castle by doing lots of good deeds for the king of dokapon kingdom, another player can rob you of it. Yeah... it's hell. But what is better is that you have plenty of chances to get even, most of which are listed above. What isn't listed is more things like: hiring a bloodthirsty, but adorable hunk of junk robot to go kill your opponent, only to find out your opponent has enough money to turn the robot back on you.

So, if you have the game, discuss your frustrations and enjoyment playing. IF you don't, go buy it. Seriously, it is soooo worth it!

The fact that it is so cute, but still has a disclaimer saying it contains content that might not be appropriate for children should convince you right off the bat!

also:

YouTube - Atlus USA Trailer: Dokapon Kingdom (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVbzRDobswc)

YouTube - Dokapon Kingdom: Gameplay Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At3qMp2iu8M)

Vermachtnis
10-20-2008, 09:30 PM
I can't believe I missed this. :( Anyway just gonna say what I said earlier :D

It's gotta be the cutest, evilist game ever. It's a little too easy to go from first place to last. Which is awesome, unless you're on the recieving end then it ain't so awesome. It really promotes one upsmanship. Like earlier me and couple of people where playing against and NPC and it landed on an Evil Space and a few turns later and lured us all in one space. I figured if we all attacked it we could stand a chance. My friend, however, thought I was an easier target.

But there's a little thing called Karma and I was an Acrobat and had play dead. So I came back and shot his butt with lightning.

Wind_Falcon
10-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Even if I was 5 I wouldn't like it.

Madame Adequate
10-20-2008, 11:45 PM
This sounds amazing.

Momiji
10-21-2008, 01:52 AM
If I had some friendships to ruin here, I'd so get this. Atlus has yet to disappoint me.

Dignified Pauper
10-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Well, I was doing really great. Then all of a sudden, my good friend, who changed into the worst spot computer player, suddenly was filled with rage for being in last for so long. So, his character, in rage, traveled to the dark spot, and then became a darkling. It wasn't enough that he teleported us all to his space and slaughtered us. OH NO. What was worse was that after that, he put monsters in all our towns, making them free game, and THEN, took someone's castle, and then crashed the market, cutting all our gold in half. Sadly, I shortly after landed on a -200,000 gold space, trying to get something good from a red chest space. Needless to say, I'm now about -70,000 in money, including assets because I have no towns.

GREAT.

Moon Rabbits
10-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I love the "WHERE FRIENDSHIPS ARE DESTROYED."

Looks pretty coooooool~ I've always wanted to play a board-game / rpg hybrid.