PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse?

hhr1dluv
10-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Okay, so I hear a lot of people on these forums posting about how terrible they think Final Fantasy X-2 and Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII- are.

BUT, which is one is worse? How much worse is it? Why is it worse? Or hey...if you want to talk about why these games suck or why they DON'T SUCK (read my sig ;)), feel free.

In my opinion, I think DoC is far worse than X-2. I actually quite like X-2, though I won't explain why unless someone asks. :shrugs: DoC is the only FF game that I've played that I seriously disliked going through. The story was interesting enough, I suppose, but I really despised the gameplay. :weep:

Saber
10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
battle sytems makes 10-2 win as better for me.

Wind_Falcon
10-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII-

The game sucked so much...Everyone knows S-E can't make good action/shooters.

Vermachtnis
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
I liked 10-2 enough to play it through a couple of times. Dirge of Cerberus not so much.

Mercen-X
10-22-2008, 06:54 PM
DC isn't the best shooter in the genre, but I don't really have a problem with it. You can get things done, the system's easy to understand, and the storyline is fairly interesting.

I don't have any gump against X-2 either.

Saber
10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
DC isn't the best shooter in the genre, but I don't really have a problem with it. You can get things done, the system's easy to understand, and the storyline is fairly interesting.

I don't have any gump against X-2 either.

So which do you pick?

FFIX Choco Boy
10-22-2008, 08:58 PM
I personally liked DoC better, though I liked them both. X-2 I like less though because you can skip 99% of the game, which was a real downer for me, so I went thru the game and got 100% completion twice to make up for rushing the game like 100 times.

Dreddz
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
X-2 simply wasn't liked because of its "girl power" approach which Ill admit was a bit jarring. It was at its core however a sound RPG which was probably the last game to squeeze enjoyment out of the active time battle system and brought the job system back which I'm grateful for.

DOC on the other hand was mediocre on all fronts. Nothing stuck out as terrible but nothing stuck out as great either. I'd much rather play X-2 than DOC.

black orb
12-15-2008, 01:18 AM
>>> I liked both.. but.
in terms of plot/story DoC wins.. FFX-2 plot was a joke.

in terms of graphics. both were pretty good so is a tie I guess.

In terms of gameplay. FFx2 has ATB system and I always hated ATB.
DoC was a shooter, I never like those kind of games but since it was a FF related game I decided to bear the pain.. and guess what I ended enjoying it a little.

in the end is a tie..

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2008, 07:28 AM
I never played Dirge of Cerberus but I will replace it with a part of the compilation I did play: Crisis Core

Sidequests: X-2 has lots of fun extra things to do which is amazing considering how dull and linear X was. The problem is that 90% of the game is this optional content. CC has the same problem but it gets docked cause 98% of those optional missions are copy paste of the same damn 5 missions.

Battle System: Combat in X-2 is "speedier" cause of a revamped ATB where your characters act at the same time and no longer wait for each other to take turns in order. The commands you use can change the speed of combat... unfortunately, most of the commands take forever outside of Fight and Item, and throwing in the garish costume changes that take forever as well as the ill designed Garment Grids that potentially make you suffer through 2 or 3 costume changes just so you become a healer or a job class that's effective; really slows down the whole process. Not to mention the classes are anything but balanced...

CC on the other is an action game where dodge roll saves you from everything but cutscenes. Course you won't use it too much cause the A.I. is basically a dead hamster on a wheel. The game can be beaten easily on Lv. 30 for crying out loud! The combat is fun but there is a lack of challenge and the game only has the unblockable cutscene attacks and the invisible walls to help it kill you. These invisible walls make combat feel really claustrophobic especially in boss encounters where they take up most of your invisible ring.

Story: X-2 has a bad plot but I probably enjoyed it a bit more cause I had no expectations for it. Its still terrible but at least its funny at times. CC on the other hand has a terrible plot which seems vaguely similar to VII's plot with Zack being in Clouds place minus the mind smurf. It forces down our throats the lamest FF villain ever (even worse than Shuyin, cause at least Shuyin is funny when you think about it) and the whole thing reads like a bad fanboy fan-fiction even going to the point to rewrite the original story its a prequel to; in order to add in their lame characters. Course its biggest fault is that it could have been so much more and instead the plot decides to focus on the lame villain no one gives a damn about. Its waste of potential is aggravating and its shameless promotion of a future spin-off feels disrespectful.

Graphics: X-2 is mostly a copy and paste deal, I never liked X's graphics so I don't care for them. CC is beautiful despite being very empty, simplistic, and retconning the "feel of the world".

Music: X-2 has two louzy J-Pop songs and mostly a rehash of X's less than stellar soundtrack minus the good tracks. (Don't tell my Gf cause she loves the soundtrack). CC's soundtrack ranges from so-so to "Goddamn!!!! :eek:" course I feel the strongest tracks are the remixes of original muscial scores from VII. It also has 1 lousy J-Pop track sung by Gackt who by this point I feel must be paying Squenix's rent considering how often he seems to be involved with the Compilation.

Overall CC is worse cause it had so much potential to be something more and it seemed to fail at almost every turn. X-2 was always presented as a carefree goofy experiment so I feel expectations were not as high. Its a shame too, since Zack has so little screen time in VII and yet proved he was more interesting and compelling than Yuna who still can't prove she has a worthwhile personality despite starring in two different games.

If I had to choose between the two actual thread options, I would say DoC cause it suffers the same problems as CC. Its plot is laughable and feels like bad fan-fiction rather than a sequel. Its Action/Shooter gameplay kept me from playing it cause I dislike the genre. I've only watched the cutscenes until I couldn't stomach them anymore.

Crimson
12-15-2008, 08:37 AM
I like them both, DoC reminded me alot of DMC and it had a nice story and the last few levels as chaos were pretty cool.

FFX-2 brought back the job system but in an interesting new way, and the way that you could develop the story was something new.

I suppose if I had to say which I liked less it would be FFX-2, because DoC had a much more serious tone.

Fynn
12-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Music: X-2 has two louzy J-Pop songs and mostly a rehash of X's less than stellar soundtrack minus the good tracks.
I'm sorry for bitching, but name at least ONE track that was a rehash of one of X's tracks. it was COMPLETELY different (even the fanfare wasn't the same!), with only one track being the same, as the rest of the series (it was still a huge overhaul, though) - the Chocobo theme.

scrumpleberry
12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah, even the Besaid island theme was completely (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxJE6SSX-aw&eurl=http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=en&q=besaid&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum&feature=player_embedded)different (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izs0vlpBXTs&eurl=http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=en&q=besaid&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum&feature=player_embedded) and still pretty nice imo - although it still had the feel of the original.

I never played DoC, but X-2 was a good laugh. I didn't hate it. I didn't love it.

Rye
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
X-2 isn't terrible! I thought it was very fun. I wouldn't put it up against the rest of the games because it isn't one of those games. It's quite different. I loved all the music from it too. :]

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Music: X-2 has two louzy J-Pop songs and mostly a rehash of X's less than stellar soundtrack minus the good tracks.
I'm sorry for bitching, but name at least ONE track that was a rehash of one of X's tracks. it was COMPLETELY different (even the fanfare wasn't the same!), with only one track being the same, as the rest of the series (it was still a huge overhaul, though) - the Chocobo theme.

Whoops my bad... but it still doesn't change the fact that I felt it was completely forgettable, just like X's. I could probably only name 3 tracks from X-2 anyway...

hhr1dluv
12-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I really like X-2's soundtrack...and X-2.

Wolf Kanno
12-19-2008, 05:59 PM
I really like X-2's soundtrack...and X-2.

Don't take it too personal, though I love game soundtracks, but its rare for them to completely standout for me. X-2's was bubbly and got on my nerves but it wasn't so bad that it completely detracted from the game. I just found it forgettable, except for the J-pop songs my girlfriend listens to on repeat... :eep:

I don't particulary care for X-2 but remember that part of my reasoning is that I'm completely against sequels and X-2 did do alot in its ending to ruin what I felt were good elements in X's plot. From a gaming standpoint its a good title just really unpolished in a few places. Course I can't complain cause alot of those elements found their way into an FF I like (XII). ;)

arcanedude34
12-19-2008, 06:14 PM
It also has 1 lousy awesome J-Pop track sung by Gackt Ayaka who by this point I feel must be paying Squenix's rent considering how often he seems to be involved with the Compilation.
Fix'd

I hate X-2. DoC at least entertained me with a character I cared about.

hhr1dluv
12-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Don't take it too personal

Oh, I wasn't taking it personal -- just re-voicing my opinions. I understand why you and others wouldn't like X-2. I just don't share any of those opinions. :D I do however agree that sequels do tend to dampen the original story (which you said before), but since I found X's ending so uncomfortably tragic (I am not good with that extent of drama :p), X-2's considerably lighter tone was great for me. I also really enjoyed the loads of mini-games, even if some of them were kind of lame. I love it when the FFs have loads of mini-games. That's one reason why XII initially bugged me...I felt like all the mini-games were combat based.

I also just really like Yuna, and since you (Wolf) really hate Yuna, I wouldn't expect you to like X-2. :tongue: Now, as for Vincent, I don't care about him that much, so the story in DoC wasn't very compelling to begin with. I also absolutely hated the scenery (even if X-2's was recycled, at least it was pretty), and the gameplay was seriously the most annoying thing ever. I hate shooters, but I thought that maybe DoC's story would make up for the gameplay. In my opinion, it didn't, and I found DoC horribly tiresome to play.