PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Backwards Compatibility questions

Roto13
10-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Apparently Chrono Cross has some pretty annoying problems when played on a PS3, and not all of them are listed on the official PS3 backwards compatibility site. For this reason, I'd like to ask here if any Final Fantasy games have problems playing on a PS3. The official site mentions a few minor ones, but like I said, they left out the big ones for Chrono Cross, so I don't trust them as a source for this.

Does anyone have any horror stories or anything regarding Final Fantasy games on a PS3?

Slothy
10-23-2008, 08:57 PM
I played through a good chunk of FFXII (probably half of the game) and encountered no problems. Haven't replayed any of the older ones since getting mine though so I can't say for certain about them. Mine is the launch 60GB model just to clarify.

Roto13
10-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Mine's a 40 gig so it doesn't have PS2 backwards compatibility anyway. (That's still good to know, though.)

Dreddz
10-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Everything has been patched thoroughly at this point. You may find some PS2 games that have problems but from what I have seen no PS1 games are affected. This is just from what I have seen remember.

I rarely play PS1 games on my PS3 because I don't have a memory card adapter yet so I just play them on my PS2 (yes I still have it out). I gave IX and VII a whirl a while back and they played fine. And to be honest they're the only ones you really need to be playing.

Roto13
10-23-2008, 09:59 PM
What I need is to never play VII again, thanks. :P

champagne supernova
10-23-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't know whether it's been sorted in the latest firmware update, but VIII does not work on PS3 at all. However, I haven't tried since this last upgrade.

What really irritates me is that I cannot connect to PSN when my firmware is out-of-date. It's like my PS3 is forcing me to update itself.

Dreddz
10-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I love how Sony force you to update your console which a lot of the time can screw up your system. Never update until there is subsequent feedback.

Bolivar
10-24-2008, 04:55 PM
^ yes, every PS3 owner should definately know that/keep it in mind before updating.

I played XII on the PS3 and I was pleasantly surprised with the upscaling/smoothing. It didn't jump out at me, but the transition on HD works with the game well.

It should also be noted, that for PS1 games at least, the smoothing option makes a significant difference, at least on an SDTV. I played MGS1 on a PS2 and then on a PS3 and the upgrades were very noticeable, from what i've seen of the PC version, it definately rivals it, if not better.

Also, load times and similar stuff are greatly reduced by the PS3. Remember starting up codec conversations in MGS3, and the disc would skip/background sounds would repeat until the conversation starts? Yeah, its seamless on PS3. Having played a save for a little on a PS2 afterward, I can say I'll never play MGS3 on any other system again.

^ For this reason, i'm wondering if it would make the load times in FFVI from anthologies bearable. With upscaling, it might be the best way to play the game now.

The Ceej
10-24-2008, 07:21 PM
After I got done playing Chrono Cross, and having those problems on the PS3, and being forced to take my PS2 out of storage for the game, I started Final Fantasy II on Final Fantasy Origins.

I encountered a problem, and then looked it up. You won't find the big issues in the backward compatibility check as Sony doesn't want to admit they're backward compatibility issues, and if you call them, they'll tell you it must be your disc, but you can look it up in the official forum.

Here's a thread on Final Fantasy II (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=finalfantasy&thread.id=223216&view=by_date_ascending&page=1).

I'll let you know if I find any other Final Fantasy related backward compatibility issues.

Roto13
10-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm mostly interested in VIII and IX in the short term. (Though I have the rest of them minus VII, so anything is helpful. xP)

The Ceej
10-24-2008, 09:35 PM
You can use the search feature on the forum. That's how I found Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy II. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one with the problems.

Storm San
03-31-2009, 12:21 AM
I think that the older the PS3, the better the compatibility with older games of the PS era.
I have played an hour of FFVIII on the PS3 and it works fine. However, Final Fantasy X doesn't play on my PS3 . I got my console in January 2009.

Darkswordofchaos
03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
The 60gig is the only one that has good backwards compatabilityl. the newer 80gig playse PSone but i dont know if you can save them cause it dosent take MC. i havent tried yet but i doubt you can save on the harddrive. but it dosent even play PS2 games

Woodinator
03-31-2009, 05:21 PM
I think I have the initial 80 gb one...because it has the backwards compatability. On mine you can save with ps1 and ps2. What you do (if I remember correctly) is go into the save data options under the "Games" tab and you can "create" a memory card in your hardrive to save game data with

Only glitch I've had was with KH Re: COM, but haven't tried the FF's yet. MGS games worked well though.