PDA

View Full Version : Are there many challenging quests in Oblivian

darkchrono
10-24-2008, 02:21 AM
I reallly enjoy Oblivian however I am finding that alot of the quests that they have you do are rather simplistic (i.e. easy to figure out). Now I am not implying in terms of combat but more along the lines of making you think about what you should do. I know that they want alot of the quests to be simplistic so people won't get frustrated with it but I am looking forward to a part of the game where the quests get a little more challenging.

I am about 50 hours into the game and am wondering if the deeper you go do the quests get more difficult or are they pretty simplistic all the way through.

Cyric
10-27-2008, 04:49 AM
The first time I went through the Fighters' Guild, one of the last few assignments, in order to earn the Guild Master title, sends you into a cave loaded with Blackwood Company soldiers. Even at Level 5, they killed me quick. I basically had to use the shoot & run strategy on each one of them. The bright side is, you'll be able to get a full-set of Blackwood Company armor, which is pretty damn strong. Enchant it with a Shield spell on each piece of equipment and you'll be able to take some pretty serious punishment. Of course, I noticed that armor degrades quicker when it's enchanted though. Get your Armorer skill leveled up and you should be OK with having around 5 repair hammers on hand at a time to get you through any areas. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else off-hand. If you want regular challenges, the Fighters' Guild missions are pretty good in general. Failing that, you can always just start levelling up like crazy. The monsters/animals start to get considerably more challenging to fight/kill.

kikimm
10-27-2008, 05:23 AM
It is always going to be simplistic like that, unfortunately. I hated that stupid map marker that points you in the right direction. Where is the fun in that? I really like Oblivion and all, but personally I just feel like it coddles you too much.

I like Morrowind better. Because, yes, I like wandering around the game world for hours trying to find someone standing in between a couple of rocks in the wilderness. But yeah, Morrowind is actually challenging and I prefer it over Oblivion.

Meat Puppet
10-27-2008, 05:54 AM
If you’re feeling particularly sadistic, you could also try Daggerfall. Besides the main storyline, the quests and their difficulty are random, and continue in a chain which just stops short of forever. Go find Metus Yeomcroft in the Tomb of Ogresly and bring him back in 23 days. Go find Setrum Yeomsly in Metus’s Web and bring him back in 18 days. Go steal a lich’s shoelace, and bring it back before sunset. Take this dagger to my friend in the other room. It’ll keep you occupied for a lifetime! Especially if you try to play without autotravel...

As a bonus (depending on your hard drive), the game might malfunction, in which it fails to render quest objects. Go kill a horde of giants in The Lair of the Decrepit Elephant. Oh, they’re invisible? Even better! You’ll experience hours of challenge as you blindly swing your weapon into every (and I mean every) corner of any one of Daggerfall’s dungeons (which are of... a modest size).

There are even nipples, which are a delight for any gamer. The challenge lies in perceiving them as actual nipples though

Definitely worth a try!

Slothy
10-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I like Morrowind better. Because, yes, I like wandering around the game world for hours trying to find someone standing in between a couple of rocks in the wilderness.

To each there own, but I don't think that's most peoples idea of fun. And in fairness, Morrowind had 6 square miles of terrain instead of 16 which would make a huge difference. I'll say right now that had Oblivion not had the map marker, I probably would have returned it in about a day.

erikramza
10-27-2008, 05:55 PM
get turned into a vampire, and try to get turned back. that's about the most challenge the game offers.

kikimm
10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I like Morrowind better. Because, yes, I like wandering around the game world for hours trying to find someone standing in between a couple of rocks in the wilderness.

To each there own, but I don't think that's most peoples idea of fun. And in fairness, Morrowind had 6 square miles of terrain instead of 16 which would make a huge difference. I'll say right now that had Oblivion not had the map marker, I probably would have returned it in about a day.

Oh, I know, I was....kind of being sarcastic and kind of not. :P Of course sometimes the map marker was helpful, and I *would* have been running around for hours trying to find http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif, but I wish it was something you could turn on and off at least. Especially for Thieves Guild quests.

I Don't Need A Name
10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Evidently spelling its name right is the hardest one!