PDA

View Full Version : Woman arrested for killing her husband...'s avatar

LunarWeaver
10-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeeeah. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27337812/?GT1=43001)

The short version is a 43-year-old Japanese woman's virtual husband divorced her in Maple Story "without a word". She was so angry she used his ID and password to log in as his character and kill it. The man complained to the police, and now

She was charged with illegal access onto a computer and manipulating electronic data, police said. If convicted, she could face a prison term of up to five years or a fine up to $5,000.

Never before have I had such lol. And not until I see High School Musical 3 will I have more.

So, how angry would you get if somebody ruined your gaming experience? Let's go all the way from killing a character to talking during cutscenes.

I think I'd just get over it myself :bigsmile: Though my mom did once erase a 99 hour save file of Final Fantasy VII from my memory card, and I must admit for a while there I considered throwing her in prison for 5 years.

Bunny
10-24-2008, 06:14 PM
My level of anger would be directly influenced by the amount of time that I put into whatever game we are talking about.

As far as talking during cut scenes go, the Internet makes this trivial. Thanks Youtube.

Roto13
10-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Before the advent of YouTube, I had finally finished Mega Man X 4 and my aunt came into the room and started yapping and I missed the whole ending. I felt like smacking her.

Not that Mega Man X's cutscenes weren't completely laughable, but come on. It was my reward for finishing the game. And it wasn't an easy game, either....

Moon Rabbits
10-24-2008, 06:50 PM
My level of anger would be directly influenced by the amount of time that I put into whatever game we are talking about.

As far as talking during cut scenes go, the Internet makes this trivial. Thanks Youtube.

The Ceej
10-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Back in the day, when we were in our teens and lived at our parents' house, my brother and I would often be playing a game when it was time for dinner. We'd yell, "Let me find a save point!" to which she said, "I told you dinner would be ready half an hour ago!" to which we'd reply, "Sometimes save points take a while to find!"

From time to time, she'd often go in and turn the SNES off. This really pissed us off. On her worse offense, my brother was on the Lunar Subterrain of FFIV, and when she turned the system off, it erased every save on the cartridge. It wasn't even our game. We were borrowing it from a friend, and his save got erased as well. We yelled at her so much we both got restriction for a week.

Sometimes the generation before us just doesn't understand such things. Afterall, her favorite SNES game was Tetris Attack, which could be shut off in the middle with no consequence.

Madame Adequate
10-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Back in the day, when we were in our teens and lived at our parents' house, my brother and I would often be playing a game when it was time for dinner. We'd yell, "Let me find a save point!" to which she said, "I told you dinner would be ready half an hour ago!" to which we'd reply, "Sometimes save points take a while to find!"

Seriously, this. It's not such a big deal these days because most games can be saved anywhere, but back then people really couldn't seem to wrap their heads around the fact that if you just turned the console off, you could lose an hour of stuff you've done.

kikimm
10-24-2008, 07:04 PM

From time to time, she'd often go in and turn the SNES off. This really pissed us off. On her worse offense, my brother was on the Lunar Subterrain of FFIV, and when she turned the system off, it erased every save on the cartridge. It wasn't even our game. We were borrowing it from a friend, and his save got erased as well. We yelled at her so much we both got restriction for a week.

Haha, this happens to my brothers pretty much every day. That very same conversation. :P And my dad of course never gets it, and just walks in and shuts it off. Man.

Anyways. I used to get smurfing pissed off if people talked to during cutscenes. I still get mad and yell at them, but yeah, like others have said, thank god for youtube :heart: I think my brothers would be dead by now if it wasn't for that. I have rarely had people delete my saves, or characters, but the few times it has happened...I haven't gotten all that mad, really. Probably because I have done it so much myself that I understand http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif is just gonna happen. :p

Dreddz
10-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Fortunately I have never had something like that happen to me. Although one time I had my mum pull the plug out of my Dreamcast after logging in around 10 hours into Phantasy Star Online. I literally went into cardiogenic shock.

KentaRawr!
10-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Speaking of PSO, I once stepped on the Power Chord after my brother found a rare item. :p

Markus. D
10-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Oh dear...

I've clocked more (more... :( yup, more than what I'm about to state) 2500+ hours of GW (Mind you a couple of years).

I'd probably die if it was deleted >___>;...

Momiji
10-25-2008, 02:39 PM
MapleStory is addictive anyway. He's better off. :p

Serapy
10-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Ah, MapleStory. I've played that game for 3 years, I've finally hit level 200 and then quit. I'm not going to play that game ever again, because Nexon is about one of the most greedy businesses ever I've seen before.

She was charged with illegal access onto a computer and manipulating electronic data, police said. If convicted, she could face a prison term of up to five years or a fine up to $5,000.

And, that's just ridiculous. It was the husband fault for giving her his information. MapleStory is even more ridiculous, because if your character was either stripped, hacked or deleted, it's impossible to get them back. What a painful thing to think about ... in WoW, you can get everything back if you got hacked, simply by reporting to a GM.

Mercen-X
10-25-2008, 04:17 PM
It's not that parents don't understand the save system and the effort you've exerted in a game, it's that they could care less. My parents don't even care when I'm posting ONE frickin' comment on the internet. They want me to get off, they'll slap me if they have to. How could I possibly expect them to care about a game I've devoted hours of my life to? Jerks.

The Ceej
10-25-2008, 05:19 PM
You'd think they would care more about a game to which you've devoted hours of your life than one simple internet post. After all, if your save of four hours is deleted, you're four hours older and you haven't accomplished anything in your life in the last four hours. Of course, I think they'd see it that way anyway because do they really consider advancing four hours in a game an accomplishment? Still, it's much more important than one internet post.

KoShiatar
10-25-2008, 07:12 PM
It's crazier than I'd like to admit. I mean, killing an avatar should not be treated like logging into someone's bank account to steal his money.

Moon Rabbits
10-25-2008, 08:16 PM
It's crazier than I'd like to admit. I mean, killing an avatar should not be treated like logging into someone's bank account to steal his money.

Idk, what if it's like WoW and they're paying monthly fees? :greenie:

Yar
10-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I love that for her she can spend 5 years in jail or have to pay a $5k fine.

The two are not even comparable.

Mercen-X
10-26-2008, 05:48 AM
I love that for her she can spend 5 years in jail or have to pay a $5k fine.

The two are not even comparable.

Yeah, my dad said that. But aren't they in Japan? And aren't dollars worth more over there? Hell, they're worth more practically anyplace you go.

blackmage_nuke
10-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Why didnt you just pause it and go eat?

The Ceej
10-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Why didnt you just pause it and go eat?

Because we weren't allowed to leave the game on when we weren't playing. We had to turn it off.

Besides, what if there was a power outage between the time I paused it and the time I got back to it? You know that's dangerous.

Laddy
10-26-2008, 04:24 PM
I once got one of my Guild Wars character soooo close to the Hall of Heroes

...and the game crashed.