PDA

View Full Version : Changing opinions for other people?

Necron
10-25-2008, 06:27 PM
So, i'm walking with my friend, she's wearing a pink top, blue jeans and a headband on her head.

I see her the next day, with her new friend, wearing all black, a bandana, and a Metallica top.

I know for sure this girl is not into Metallica, since she likes Girls Aloud, Leona Lewis, and even Steps, and has told me in the past that all that 'Metal [insert bad word]' sounds the same.

So my question to you is, do you also know someone who would change their image and interests just because of the person/people they are hanging out with?

Yar
10-25-2008, 06:38 PM
I've changed interests because of association. But it wasn't because I was trying to fit in or anything; I became genuinely interested in the things my friends enjoyed.

I know some people like this, though. They are not any of my friends, so I kind of just ignore them.

bipper
10-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Imo, intelligent people will change not only to gain acceptance, but also some intelligence, insight, and intuition on another topic. I think it just fine, so long as they do not loose themselves

Think of it like Gau's Leap/rage.

rubah
10-25-2008, 08:24 PM
lots of people; myself

Rye
10-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Maybe she just has a wide fashion sense. I'm like that. I can go from Victoria Secret "Pink" chic to lolita gothic-esque tops and bright red lipstick. It's fun!

NeoTifa
10-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Maybe she just has a wide fashion sense. I'm like that. I can go from Victoria Secret "Pink" chic to lolita gothic-esque tops and bright red lipstick. It's fun!

ditto

Mittopotahis
10-25-2008, 11:44 PM

I know this is pretty common, but why would you wear a shirt of a band you don't like? That's what is confusing me. =P

Rye
10-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Probably for fashion. It's really stupid, but a lot of people wear shirts of very popular bands because they're made to look nice, even if they've never even heard more than one of their songs.

Roto13
10-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't think you can really stop hating something for someone. You can try to be more open to it and possibly start to like it, or you can be exposed to new things by someone and develop an interest in it, or you can fake it, but if that girl really, really hated metal, she might just be pretending to like it now. :P

I Don't Need A Name
10-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Probably for fashion. It's really stupid, but a lot of people wear shirts of very popular bands because they're made to look nice, even if they've never even heard more than one of their songs.

The amount of people who have Rolling Stones tops without even knowing a song other than Paint It Black is rediculous!

Shlup
10-25-2008, 11:56 PM
I don't like metal in general but I like [old] Metallica. It's not that strange.

I will dress differently for different events and situations, I guess, but not different people. I can see being interested in wearing something the person you're going to hang out with would like though, assuming you like it too. If you didn't like what you were wearing and were just trying to be cool that would make you a douche.

I am really good at stating obvious things.

Necron
10-26-2008, 12:13 PM
What i think, is that influences from other people is fine. If you begin to like something because a new friend likes it, then you're not changing your interests, you're just expanding them. So that's fine.

I just think that it seems a little desperate to downright lie just to get into a certain social group.

Cz
10-26-2008, 12:49 PM
She's just dressing to make a good impression. It might be "lying" but it doesn't hurt anyone, and if it means she's making new friends then good for her. There's no rule saying that you have to be a huge fan of a band to wear their merchandise, anyway. It's like how Yankees caps are a fashion accessory, even among people who aren't baseball fans. Maybe she just likes the way the top looks?