PDA

View Full Version : larceny?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
10-25-2008, 10:22 PM
what exactly is larceny? im doing a project and can find no information on it =/ its supposed to be similar yet diffrent from burggerly and theft. i also have to find the levels of severity and punishments for it O_o

can anyone help me out?:confused:

Tavrobel
10-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Larceny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larceny)

Basically, it's theft + intention to deprive + transfer of ownership, which is different from theft. Theft works to your benefit; deprivation works against the victim, and it flaunts the newfound title of ownership against the person.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
10-25-2008, 10:44 PM
what do you mean by that? like lets say....you steal a car or a company or something, and now your trying to say that it belongs to you in title?
bad example

ok lets say you wrote a book.... i stole all your written work and published it, is that larceny? :p

Tavrobel
10-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Something like that. Simple theft seems to carry the idea that it was done as a spur-of-the-moment idea, or you took something to better your own situation. Larceny seems to give the connotation (according to the Wikipedia page) that you had to:
A) want to steal it
B) which implies foreknowledge and a plan
C) the person who you took it from knows that you took it, and when confronted, you would say that it was yours

So, yes, if I stole a car from my friend, and I told him that the car is mine after he filed a report, that would be larceny.

Of course, in this situation, the insurance on the car, as well as any form of vehicle registration would prove you wrong. Did that help?

EDIT: If you did something like a book, which has no inherent value until published, you're venturing into the realm of intellectual property, which has its own set of rules. Larceny deals with physical things that have value. A car that is purchased for $20k has value. A bunch of words you scribbled into a book does not.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
you helped a bunch tavrobel! time to make my video :D

edittt: hey, can anyone tell me what would be a punishment for a petty and grand larceny?

Tavrobel
10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
The same scale as one would get for a misdemeanor as opposed to a felony. The latter implies more jail time. The former may or may not have jail time, a fine, community service, or such things. This works under the assumption of a first-time violator.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
10-26-2008, 09:57 PM
yeahh, i just found that out right now:sweat:

now my last question is what type of person is more likely to commit larceny? O_o

Tavrobel
10-26-2008, 10:18 PM
A jerk.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
10-26-2008, 10:43 PM
k, well i found out anyways, thanks to you ill probably ace it :D