PDA

View Full Version : Brisingr anyone?

Imperfectionist
10-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Has anyone else bothered to get this book?
I've been iffy about this series since the beginning, it all seems so trite to me. The only reason I actually bothered with Brisingr is because I hatehatehate starting a series and not finishing it.

What do you think? Bunch of rip-off crap or actually quite a good read?
Make sure to remember your spoilers people...

~*~Celes~*~
10-26-2008, 01:33 AM
So far, I absolutely love it.

The only thing I don't like are these soldiers that Galbatroix has under those enchantments where the only way to kill them is by hitting a vital spot. They're really creepy, imho. Especially the way the one scene on pages 333-335 when they first find out about the enchantments. I shuddered soooo much at that....

I see this one ending quite marvelously :D Can't wait for book 4 already and I'm only halfway through this one! :exdee:

SilverWind
10-28-2008, 02:29 AM
I've been iffy about this series since the beginning, it all seems so trite to me.

Eh, I wouldn't really call it trite, but that's just me. I think it has some good ideas, and some unique elements. Like the new languages (then again, I'm a language freak...) and the detail to history throughout the story. Even if it is an overused genre, it still takes the basic story and gives it a new twist.

I do like these books. I just haven't had the money, or nonlaziness to go get the newest one.

Imperfectionist
10-28-2008, 02:53 AM
I've been iffy about this series since the beginning, it all seems so trite to me.

Eh, I wouldn't really call it trite, but that's just me. I think it has some good ideas, and some unique elements. Like the new languages (then again, I'm a language freak...) and the detail to history throughout the story. Even if it is an overused genre, it still takes the basic story and gives it a new twist.

I do like these books. I just haven't had the money, or nonlaziness to go get the newest one.

See but that's exactly it, Paolini DOES have some pretty good ideas, but I don't feel that he's a mature enough writer to be able to express these ideas in a way that does not emulate nearly every other book of this genre, which, to me, makes his writing seem trite and unsophisticated. Like, in some parts it almost feels as though he's just forcing the multitude of ideas he has into the story rather than properly weaving them in, which I find hard to like. And yeah, maybe you are right about it being an overused genre, but I feel that that aspect just exacerbates the problem.

sdm42393
10-28-2008, 03:08 AM
I haven't bought Brisingr yet but I have read the first two books a few times. Despite the fact it's pretty much the regurgitation of Star Wars/LoTR it's pretty good. Can't wait until I get a chance to read it.

Freya
10-28-2008, 06:47 AM
I bought it the day it came out... and i've read one page and it's staring at me, beckoning me to read it. Yet i refuse. Why? dunno don't feel like it.

~*~Celes~*~
11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Brom is Eragon's real father! I just found out today :eek: