PDA

View Full Version : Worst Case Scenarios

Nominus Experse
10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
This thread is for a few things, but they are all tied together in that they all share the adage of them being utterly terrible. From the power outage when saving data to the game freezing midway through the final boss battle.

The purpose then for this thread is to have anyone voice their opinions as to what the worst case scenario - within a minimally realistic extent - would be in relation to playing video games (based on the overall difficulty of the game itself, your setting, etc...).

My opinion is that the worst case scenario would have to be if you were playing Blaster Master. You had reached Level 8, the end of the darkness, and were battling the final boss, when the power suddenly, brutally, goes out. There's the moan of electronics halting their tasks abruptly, clinging to the fleeing light as it dissolves into shadow, and then there is only silence. Utter shock would have protected you in disbelief, but the shadow before you, taunting, definite, and cruel, has taken any shield and made it mist.

Blaster Master is smurfing hard. No, it's absosmurfinglutely difficult. The difficulty is enough turn one to madness and chaos. So to see all the painful work suddenly erased would be so traumatizing. Even more so by the fact that one could not save their progress. When it was game over, it was over. Back to Level 1.

Dreddz
10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Worst case scenario? Getting to the final dungeon in Earthbound to find you can't go back. If that were to happen I'd be so pissed. Glad the developers weren't that sadistic.

Oh.

Old Manus
10-26-2008, 10:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/oldmanus/marcus-1.jpg

More to come

Dignified Pauper
10-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Playing some online game against Linda (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/old%2Bmanus.html) and losing.

Zeldy
10-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 was really bad for getting hackers, and it had a whole double save thing which is really bad or something. Anyway, my brother got to like the max level, 200, after it taking him like over a year of playing it non-stop to get there, and he was so over protective over this character that I wasn't allowed to use my character which happened to be on the same memory card online, as knowing me I'd get the card wiped.

I geuss that would be the worst case scenario. If that had ever happened, I think my brother would have actually killed me. I was really annoyed though as I had to start with some new character on a separate memory card when my original was like lvl 124 :{

Markus. D
10-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Worst case scenario? Getting to the final dungeon in Earthbound to find you can't go back. If that were to happen I'd be so pissed. Glad the developers weren't that sadistic.

Oh.

Definetly had that issue with Summoner 3.

T_T;

Vivisteiner
10-27-2008, 12:49 AM
@Mold Anus: Ahoy! Be that Marcus from FFIX?

Dodging lightning 99 times in a row and then messing up would be very annoying....

kikimm
10-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Maybe this doesn't seem super bad, but the worst case scenario for me personally is getting up to a certain point in a game, and discovering that you can't beat it as you are, and you can't go back and level or whatever. This happened to me many times playing Final Fantasy 8. :p I don't know how I managed to screw it up, but I did. I made it all the way to Adel, and then realized I just could not beat her, and had to start the game over. Maybe I acted too quickly and there was a way to go back, I dunno, it was forever ago, but yeah.

So I am always afraid of http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif like that happening. Me screwing up somewhere and getting to a boss, not having nearly enough ammo or something and not being able to get more, etc. *panic* Many times my first playthrough of Resident Evil 4 I just baaaaarely scraped by with what I had, after numerous tries.

Wolf Kanno
10-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I think my worst case scenario was from DMC1, I finally finished the game on hard mode unlocking Dante Must Die mode and Sparda except at the end of the game, my hand slipped and I started a game on normal mode instead... meaning I can't access any of this stuff until I finish the game on Normal and may even have to beat it again on Hard mode. I still haven't touched the game since.

My other worsT case scenario was finally getting to the last dungeon in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. I stopped playing for a bit partly due to frustration and partly due to being busy in my personal life. I took my memory card to my college's gaming club and somehow lost the damn thing. Not only was I not able to finish the game but it was my only PS2 memory card so I lost data on all my games. :(

I've picked up a new memory card since then but I no longer have the free time or patience to do another run through of SMT:N. Its a good game but damn is it hard... I even got the secret item to unlock the temple and obtain the ultimate Megatama...

I Don't Need A Name
10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
managing to suffer all the way to the end of Koudelka, to find that you didnt pick an item up so the only ending you can get is 'LOL I KILLED YOU'

Roto13
10-28-2008, 04:49 PM
My other worsT case scenario was finally getting to the last dungeon in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. I stopped playing for a bit partly due to frustration and partly due to being busy in my personal life. I took my memory card to my college's gaming club and somehow lost the damn thing. Not only was I not able to finish the game but it was my only PS2 memory card so I lost data on all my games. :(

Ugh, that happened to me recently. My PS2 was at a friend's house on the other side of the country and I had him send it to me and the memory cards are mysteriously missing. :P I lost everything. There wasn't a whole lot on them, though. Some clear data for Tales of the Abyss and an everything-unlocked save file for Soul Calibur III are the only things I cursed not having. :P

There's also my Tales of Legendia clear data, but that game sucks. xP

Vermachtnis
10-28-2008, 05:24 PM
While we're on the topic of erased/stolen/gone memory cards. Anyone who has ever played Digimon World 2, knows what chore it can be. The game by itself takes about 70 some hours to beat if you know what you're doing. Then there's the post game dungeon Tera Tower, which is 99 Floors of unforgiving hell. With just a small chance to run into a powerful mon. I never got to it. By the time I actually beat the game and built a decent move set, the data was just gone :eek: Never touched the game again.

Another worst case scenario is, what if there is a 50 hour long game and near the end there is an uber weapon that you can get only if you didn't open a few boxes near the beginning of the game. But why would someone do something like that? :confused:

You added that just to irk me didn't you :p

Roto13
10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
No, I added that because it was one of the biggest disappointments in video game history. To come off of Tales of Symphonia to find that the next game in the series took so many steps backwards. Terrible. XP

Loony BoB
10-28-2008, 06:08 PM
What's real fun is when there's a power cut that somehow leads to your console frying. =| That sucked.

Wolf Kanno
10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I just remembered... I tried to play my NES copy of Mega Man 2 only to find that my NES has finally passed on... :cry:

Vermachtnis
10-28-2008, 07:35 PM
No, I added that because it was one of the biggest disappointments in video game history. To come off of Tales of Symphonia to find that the next game in the series took so many steps backwards. Terrible. XP

Bah, except for the lame story, encounter rate, and voice actor less second half, I don't see what the big deal is. I thought the cast more than made up for its shortcomings. Especially Grune, nothing in Symphonia come close to Grune's awesomeness :p

Roto13
10-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Do you really want me to list out everything that was wrong with Tales of Legendia? Usually I wouldn't ask and would just do it, but it's a really long list this time.

Quindiana Jones
10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Power levelling. Haven't saved for a while. Game freezes.

Fucking Microsoft.

Vermachtnis
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Meh, I'm pretty sure I've heard it all before, cause every time I mention I like it someone else has to shove their opinions down my throat and are usually very rude about it.

Roto13
10-28-2008, 09:02 PM
That's because the only good thing it has going for it is the music. :P

Leeza
10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
This thread is NOT about Tales of Legendia.

Maybe this doesn't seem super bad, but the worst case scenario for me personally is getting up to a certain point in a game, and discovering that you can't beat it as you are, and you can't go back and level or whatever.
That happened to me in FFI. I wandered off too far somewhere without enough items and saved in a bad spot so I had to restart.

NeoCracker
10-29-2008, 12:34 AM
While we're on the topic of erased/stolen/gone memory cards. Anyone who has ever played Digimon World 2, knows what chore it can be. The game by itself takes about 70 some hours to beat if you know what you're doing. Then there's the post game dungeon Tera Tower, which is 99 Floors of unforgiving hell. With just a small chance to run into a powerful mon. I never got to it. By the time I actually beat the game and built a decent move set, the data was just gone :eek: Never touched the game again.

Another worst case scenario is, what if there is a 50 hour long game and near the end there is an uber weapon that you can get only if you didn't open a few boxes near the beginning of the game. But why would someone do something like that? :confused:

You added that just to irk me didn't you :p

Digimon World 2 is AWESOME! Though yes, it can be a bit of a chore, and I know exactly what you're talking about, as it happened to me. :p

T-MaN
10-29-2008, 04:27 AM
The worst for me was during Guild Wars. If anyone plays this, you know how maddening it can be trying to get Obsidian armor from the armor crafter in FoW ( which btw you have to accomplish a couple of hard quests while protecting this character to actually reach the armor crafter ).

So, our group finally pulls up to the armor crafter. Me and two other players were getting their Obsidian armor crafted by the armor guy. The thing with these armor crafters is that you have to click on the piece that you want, such as chest, legs, etc. and each piece has its own requirements to achieve it. It's nothing big, until one our players somehow manages to accidentally aggro a group of enemies which come charging right at us. I panicked a bit and accidentally purchased the same piece twice. Now, it's not a big thing here...but let me tell you that the items to craft these armor sets are insanely rare and grotesquely expensive...and let's not forget the fact that you need over a 100 of these items just to craft one piece of the set.......
I cursed that player, and myself for being stupid.

It took me a month to return and get the full set. T_T

Wolf Kanno
10-29-2008, 05:32 AM
I also remembered the day I borrowed my friends copy of FFVI for SNES and I found the wonderful glitch that either messes up your inventory or erases all your save files... it was the latter and he lost his 65+ tweaked party...

I wasn't allowed to borrow games from him for awhile...:(

Cyric
10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
I get UBER pissed in FF8 when I don't save it for a LONG time (amnesia sucks) and then I screw something up small and i have to start from WAAAAYYYY back in order to fix it. Like collecting 35 Elnoyle cards from Zell's mom and then make ONE little mistake which costs me ALL of my most powerful cards (Quistis, Zell, Ifrit, Diablos, Elnoyle), and I find out I haven't saved the game since I started playing cards with her. This happened tonight just FYI. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

MadeOfApples
10-31-2008, 11:13 PM
I was slightly obsessive about StarOcean 2 and at the time, I had about 90 hrs on my saved game. Level 220+ characters (I believe highest was 235 or so). Went to save.

My playstation couldn't detect my memory card and since it was the only one I had at the time, I just left the game on until I was able to borrow a friend's. (Two days later).

I don't know what happened to that memory card either. Worked fined until that point and just stopped working. Luckily, I had just recently got my Playstation and besides for previous SO2 saves, I only lost some Crash Bandicoot 2 saves.

Madame Adequate
10-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Definetly had that issue with Summoner 3.

T_T;

3? o_O