PDA

View Full Version : I want... a textiles GCSE?

dragontamer
10-27-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm 15, and ive been given around five months to design and make a garment. I hope that any one who reads this will help me, as every one else has greeted me with blank stares when i approach them. My GCSE course is 60% coursework - folder work and actual garment - and 40% written exam. This thread will be part of the research area of my design folder. I will not be using anyone's nikname or real name - all of your details will stay where they belong. I will not be using them.
The garment i am making is a Kimono (i hope that you know what it is) For those who dont know, it is a floor length dress of heavy silk, or light cotton (depending on style) that are traditionally worn by Geisha in japan.
This is more or less a quesrtionaire.
It focuses on four types of kimono:
Furisode - usually silk and is wor usually by young girls. Colours are bright and viberant and has long sleaves.
Yukata - a light cotton kimono to be worn in the summer. it is usually patterned. Worn by both sexes.
Iromuji - a kimono coloured with a single colour, which is worn by an older or married woman to show her maturity, and that she is no longer a little girl.
Kuro tomesode - a plain black kimono, richly decoreted between the hem of the garment and the knee. pattens can be flora or fauna, and are very beautiful. It is worn by the mother of the bride on her weding day.
You can find many images of these on google, but moving on. PLEASE!! Please help me with my work and answer these questions!

1) What kimono would you desire?
a - Furisode
b - Yukata
c - Iromuji
d - Kuro tomesode

2) what age range do you fall into?
a - under 10
b - 10 - 20
c - 20 - 30
d - 30+

3) What colour garment would you want?
a - warm colours - red, yellow, orange
b - cool colours - blue, green, white
c - dark colours - purple, navy, black
d - other... (please state)

4) Where would you wear it?
a - fancy dress parties
b - coplay conventions (EG, Tokyopop's Recon)
c - on stage/small acting company

Thank you if you have answered these questions! If you have any questions concerning this, kimono's or about Geisha, PM me! This information will be prosessed in Microsoft acces and plotted onto graphs and pie charts to show my results. Thanks again!!

Zeldy
10-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Woaah, I never did all this crap for my Food Technology GCSE :p or if I did I probably just made it all up.

a - Furisode

b - 10 - 20

a - warm colours - red, yellow, orange

a - fancy dress parties

:jess:

rubah
10-27-2008, 06:30 PM
b - Yukata

b - 10 - 20

golds greens and whites, little flower patterns

around the house :D

Moon Rabbits
10-27-2008, 06:48 PM
a - Furisode

b - 10 - 20

b - cool colours - blue, green, white

a - fancy dress parties
c - on stage/small acting company

ALL of the above for part 4~ Like rubah, around the house for 4d.

dragontamer
11-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Woaah, I never did all this crap for my Food Technology GCSE :p or if I did I probably just made it all up.

LOL! I was going to make it up, but i was genuinly interested to see what people would like and what they would use it for! Halloween was the other night, for example, and the party i went to was fancy dress, so i dressed up as a geisha, white make up and all - i won third prize for it. Second place went to a girl dressed up as a surgean drenched in blood and first went to a bloke who beigh trousers he made out of asda's duvet covers and a burlep sack over his face. it was funney.

...that was completely random, wasnt it?

Thank you all again for answering this!

Jessweeee♪
11-02-2008, 04:30 PM
b - Yukata

b - 10 - 20

cool colors and neutrals :p

a - fancy dress parties
^both of those

scrumpleberry
11-02-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm not particularly keen to own a kimono at all, so forgive me for not helping you with your research.

Choosing to do a kimono seems very restrictive to me, because you can't really change the design. Are you sure you're going to be able to be innovative and creative enough with this? I mean, if you're going to do something like slice up the sleeves or cut the skirt short or whatever then it'll stand out more, but it doesn't feel like a great choice for full expression to me.

Good luck with it anyway. Let us know how it goes, show us some pics!

dragontamer
11-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm not particularly keen to own a kimono at all, so forgive me for not helping you with your research.

Choosing to do a kimono seems very restrictive to me, because you can't really change the design. Are you sure you're going to be able to be innovative and creative enough with this? I mean, if you're going to do something like slice up the sleeves or cut the skirt short or whatever then it'll stand out more, but it doesn't feel like a great choice for full expression to me.

Good luck with it anyway. Let us know how it goes, show us some pics!

I'll have to upload some pics soon, don't worry, i'd like opinions, but if you don't want a kimono, there isn't much point in answering. I knew before i started that a kimono would be a very restrictive garment to make, but it would stand out - there are 24 pupils in my class, 5 people are doing prom dresses, 4 are doing random stuff, such as lime dancing jacket, hoodie and t-shirts with plastic jewels on them and the rest of the class are doing islamic dresses for celebrations for eid ect.

I also chose this garment as it is quite simple - all sraight lines! This is because i have never been any good at using a sewing machine. In the five years (aprox) i've been in high school, i've only done one terms worth of textiles work, due to moving schools and problems at home. I also chose this as i moved school on january 1st, but the education board couldn't get me into a school until may, and when i did, the school didn't have two of the GCSE option that i took in the last place. I took art and design, art and graphics and music. In my new school, i had to take art, business studies and textiles. I have to finish my kimono by may, this year coming. I know it sounds like a long time, but we only get four hours every fortnight, and for about an hour of that, i'm trying to unpick my misteaks!! LOL!

I'm exagerating! I'm not that bad, but i come close!

Thanks for answering my questionaire, Jessweeee!