PDA

View Full Version : Your Finest Hour

Madame Adequate
10-27-2008, 06:09 PM
What would you say is your single greatest moment in gaming? When it all comes together just perfectly and you do something that is an example of rare skill and talent, and probably a bit of luck as well?

I'm talking about things that are beautiful, things so well executed that you could put a replay of it in the Lourve.

Go!

Magixion
10-27-2008, 07:08 PM
This has nothing to do with RPG's or anything, but I was playing in a Halo 3 tournament playing a team slayer match. Each round was the first team to 50 kills, and I ended up with more than half of our kills each round. All in all, we played 4 rounds and I ended up with a record of 123 kills and 0 deaths. I felt godlike.

Moon Rabbits
10-27-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't mean to brag or anything, but I've got mad skillz at Super Mario World.

Evastio
10-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Defeating Boss Battles with Marth on Intense Mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl immediately comes to mind.

ljkkjlcm9
10-28-2008, 12:37 AM
One weekend I got together all the Megaman games on the NES, 1 through 6, and I beat them all straight through. It was glorious.

THE JACKEL

Ouch!
10-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Completing Halo 3 on Legendary difficulty with a times twelve multiplier from activated skulls (which induce various handicaps ranging from increased grenade use by enemies to no radar) comes to mind. I don't often try to do anything particularly absurd in games, although I'm looking at attempting a perfect game excalibur II run on FFIX.

Krelian
10-28-2008, 12:51 AM
I dunno, I guess it was getting 200 out of 200 GS for Mega Man 9. It's not an impossible feat to do though, as there's been a bunch of people doing the same and even more. I don't think I'm a really good gamer actually. But as long as I'm having fun it doesn't matter to me.

Roto13
10-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, I beat every Mega Man game from 1 through 9. :P

I beat Viewtiful Joe on Ultra V-Rated and unlocked Captain Blue. That was awesome.

I got all of the medals in Sonic Adventure 1. Some of those were crazy.

RPGs aren't that tough usually (since most things can be solved by level grinding) but I beat Tales of Symphonia, including all optional bosses and bosses you're allowed to fail at, using half EXP.

Uhm, I caught all 150 original Pokemon. xP

I got the highest possible rank in Elite Beat Agents. That involved beating every song on Hard Rock mode without missing a single beat.

I got all of the stars in Super Mario Galaxy as both Mario and Luigi. That was a bitch.

There are probably more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. xP

Madame Adequate
10-28-2008, 02:10 AM

There were some good posts in this thread, until this point.

You hear me, Eyeson? Roto has shamed the lot of you!

No, I joke, there's some good stuff here. No genre restrictions or anything, just stuff you did that was awesome and made you feel great!

Best for me was Halo: CE co-op with my man Barry. We were on level 5, Assault on the Control Room, heading up that long tunnel after the big underground chasm. We were on foot for whatever reason. I had a sniper rifle, and I was clearing the tunnel of whatever I could see before we walked on up it.

Sauntering along, about 2/3 of the way up, was a Jackal, shield in hand. I aimed at the shield. "Bet I can bounce this bullet off his shield and through his skull." *Fires* The bullet bounced off his shield and into his jaw, exiting through the top of his head.

Yeah. I felt like I was at the Copacabana.

Laddy
10-28-2008, 02:25 AM
Winning a tournament with one of the most well-executed matches I have ever done in SoCalIII. I was playing Raphael.

I felt like a master at life. And the fifty bucks wasn 't so bad either.

Vermachtnis
10-28-2008, 02:46 AM
Once me and my friend were playing Metroid Prime: Hunters and we were both using the red guy. After some wonder I found him and he found me. After some jumping arranging our sites we head shot each other at the same time. If that isn't beautifully executed I dunno what is xD.

Except maybe this one time playing Soul Calibur 3. Just this once though, I've never been able to pull of any thing close to it again. I was using Celsius, a grieve edge character, and I just wiped the floor with the same guy as above in one big ass combo. I dunno if it was one combo, that seems impossible but I dunno how else to say it. Flawless. The rest of the match was intense too. Him, not wanting to go through that again, and me trying to do it again.

I got one for him too. In Arcana Heart, the king (or well queen whatever) of juggling. He was using Lilica and the lightning arcana. I was using Saki and the time arcana. And the only thing I can say about that is Saki got distance.

NeoCracker
10-28-2008, 02:49 AM
I beat that fucking sleeping table in Persona 3 FES on Hard. If you fought that guy, you'd understand what I"m talking about.

But really, first time through Persona 3, I manage to get almost all of the Social links mastered, including 2 out of 5 of the Girlfriends.

The other three and one more visit to Bebe was all I didn't get. I think that was quite the accomplishment. :p

Roto13
10-28-2008, 02:54 AM
In Golden Sun 2, I beat Dullahan on Hard mode. :P

Iceglow
10-28-2008, 03:18 AM
I've had a few of these, one of the moments which will forever be in memory and god I wish I had saved the replay of the shot for it was BEAUTIFUL was on Halo 3, I was with Psy and some others (May have been Dan but I think it was actually a friend of mine called J) we were on the blue team in a big team battle on Valhalla I had the sniper rifle and we were on the central hill. Whilst Psy pinned the guys in the enemy base with his BR I merely sat crouching and following the battle zoomed in, eventually a guy who I had tracked for a while (behind gravity lifts ect, hard to get clear shots where the man launchers wouldn't deflect the bullet enough to miss) comes charging over the central launch shotgun in grasp. I calmly tracked the movement and as he just reached the top of his arc towards us I calmly put a single bullet through his face plate strangely none of his team mates tried that tactic until end of game where they rushed us, by then I was also down to a BR from using up my ammo.

On Halo 3 legendary campaign I completed over 50% of the storyline solo.

MGS2 Sons of Liberty I completed on European Extreme mode....do not even ask how many times I had the game over screen I physically began to shudder everytime I heard someone get it when I was at work. What worked in my favour was I had gathered tags enough for the optic camo and unlimited ammo upgrades, this allowed me to line up shots perfectly so long as I wasn't standing on the patrol path and not to worry about taking people down because I had unlimited ammo...without these items in my inventory I would not have completed this game on such an insane difficulty.

my current FFVIII file: I've got pretty much all the RF abilities for my 4 GF's, I have most stat junctions (am avoiding hp-j for now no idea why), I also have 100 Ensuana on 2 chars, 100 Double on 3 chars, 100 Water on all 4 chars, 50 or so Protect spells on 1 character. Card wise I have: Ifrit, Trauma, Elvorlet, Mini Mog, Jumbo Cactuar, and a few more cards I'm currently attempting to gain a Norg card...location in storyline? Well just past the Dollet Mission in the Training Centre with Quistis. Not too hard but it is essentially (apart from I didn't draw another 100 ensuana and 250 protect spells (the black widow time limit stopped me nothing else and ensuana came from Biggs, he has high ressitance to being drawn from lots fail even with decent mag or spirit stats and those which suceeded often got 1 - 3 spells only boredom kicked in) I will try for a "black widow" card as soon as I remember the monster which can be carded in to it.

o_O
10-28-2008, 04:23 AM
Beating God of War on god mode was pretty satisfying.

Tavrobel
10-28-2008, 05:35 AM
SoJs and my only ever CoA in online Diablo II.

Ohh, and then there was that one game of DotA where I went Godlike with Enigma. That was a great day, and I used to have the replay, but the newest patch of Warcraft III put it to death.

Værn
10-28-2008, 05:46 AM
Somebody in my old CAD class brought his GameCube to school once when we had a free day. I won every match I played. As Jigglypuff.

ljkkjlcm9
10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, I beat every Mega Man game from 1 through 9. :P

I beat them, ON THE NES, cartridge style, no emulation or newer versions, straight through... hence the accomplishment.

My best accomplishments are ones I don't really think about though. Stuff that like when I sit and play a game and a friend comes by and watches, and they're just amazed. The things that you don't really think about because your gameplay has become so fluent. Games that most people find difficult, that you just go through without really thinking about... ya know?

THE JACKEL

Momiji
10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Completing the X1: Kyriaki operation in Trauma Center: Under the Knife with 00:00.03 second to go. Literally a third of a second. To me, it's the hardest operation in the game. Normally I'd try to improve the C-rank I got, but the time was so outrageous I doubt I'll ever do that. Here's a replay of an S-Rank in this operation. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ynCanGbJ9o&fmt=18)

However, my finest moment in the game was S-Ranking the final operation 'X7: Savato'. Here's someone else's replay of that. Mine was equally as spectacular. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJUSQ1c9CL8&feature=related&fmt=18)

Much to my irritation, the same guy decides to show off and do the same operation double-stylus-style. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_t61mVNpw4&feature=related)

My finest moment will easily be when I beat the Phantasm Stage in Perfect Cherry Blossom, though. :p

Loony BoB
10-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't really have any fine moments in gaming. I'm not hardcore enough to try to do things nobody else has enough time or talent to do. :p So all of my 'fine' moments are pretty basic - eg. managed to kill Dan in Halo 3 and managed to guess something Danielle didn't in iSketch. :p

demondude
10-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I wish isketch would work for me. =(
It just crashes when I try to go online.

Wolf Kanno
10-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I beat that smurfing sleeping table in Persona 3 FES on Hard. If you fought that guy, you'd understand what I"m talking about.

DAMN! :eek:

Anyway, some that I have:

*Beating Zero in MMX2 without taking a hit or using the Shoryuken.
*Being a Zappa player in Guilty Gear (If you play you will understand)
*Beating Omega in VIII without using that invincibility item or using Ultima in my Elemental defense stat to gain absolute immunity.
*Getting the Dragon Egg Shell accessory from the Egg Dragon as well as all the other wishes he grants, in Lufia 2.
*Unlocking every character including Shin Akamu and Evil Ryu in Street Fighter Alpha 3 which involves getting Perfects in almost every fight in World Tour mode.
*Actually being able to say I played Darkstalkers in the Arcade

Course my greatest accomplishments are in fighting games, especially my battles with my friend in M vs.C which a bystander compared to watching a DBZ battle and only ends when the timer runs out. In fact my other friend who considered himself a master at the game and is able to unlock all the secret characters in the console version couldn't beat me with anyone until he unlocked Onslaught and even then it was a close match. I murdered his first form and was only finally defeated due to his cheap second form.

My first time playing Soul Calibur II and DoA 2 and 3. In all three instances I was able to be undefeated despite never playing them before and against people who are actually fairly good at the game.

qwertysaur
10-28-2008, 03:45 PM
I got all 151 :p

Dreddz
10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I managed to beat every mission in Guilty Gear XX #Reload which is no mean feat I tell you.

Clocked Resident Evil in under 2 hours with Chris. I actually taped this speed run but haven't put it online yet.

Beating the Shinobi game for the PS2 was also a great moment.

Roto13
10-28-2008, 04:51 PM
I beat them, ON THE NES, cartridge style, no emulation or newer versions, straight through... hence the accomplishment.

How is beating them "ON THE NES" somehow more impressive than beating the other identical versions?

Zeldy
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM
I had someone say I was the "best guitarist" they'd seen on rock band for awhile, after on band quickplay I got something like 90% on one of the Green Grass & High Tides guitar solos on expert. That was pretty sweet. I play against this mate of mine who is amazing on rock band and completed Guitar hero 3 on expert (even I can't do that) and when I beat him, oh man it's so great. I was also majorly complimented when he said that, out of all the people he plays against, I'm the only one he has to try to beat. I was like :jess:!

Jowy
10-28-2008, 06:47 PM
The NES versions have a chance to fuck up and screen flash given how old they are now. :p

I can beat the speeder bike level in Battletoads.

IronOcean
10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
when i beat god of war on god mode. It took me forever and now that game makes me angry everytime i look at it.:mad2:

Roto13
10-28-2008, 07:14 PM
The NES versions have a chance to smurf up and screen flash given how old they are now. :pThat's a dumb reason. xP

Quindiana Jones
10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I've got many (:bighead: ), but my favourite that I can remember so far was on Spartan: Total Warrior.

I got blasted off a rooftop thing by that Necromancer SPQR dude, and was sure I was gonna die, which would totally take the piss. However, I somehow managed to direct myself back onto the wall (being helpfully blasted with magic for momentum) and survived.

It was awesome, but you really had to see it. But you didn't, and nor will you. Bummer. :(

Markus. D
10-28-2008, 08:40 PM
I know it's stupid...

But Unlocking Idge Imbrulia as an RNPC in GE was a really gewd day.

It was the first RNPC I wanted, I now have two xD

I Took the Red Pill
10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I beat the entirety of I Wanna Be The Guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zs_sGWfPqw&feature=related). Never again will I attempt something so life-threateningly frustrating.

Magixion
10-29-2008, 03:48 PM
I beat the entirety of I Wanna Be The Guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zs_sGWfPqw&feature=related). Never again will I attempt something so life-threateningly frustrating.

Wow. That is some feat. I can't even get past the third screen.

ljkkjlcm9
10-29-2008, 05:59 PM

How is beating them "ON THE NES" somehow more impressive than beating the other identical versions?

the fact that I actually have all of them... it sorta adds to the feat.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
10-29-2008, 06:05 PM

the fact that I actually have all of them... it sorta adds to the feat.

THE JACKAL

No. It doesn't. Not at all.

Momiji
10-29-2008, 06:31 PM

I got like 10 screens in, and gave up. I hate that game. :p

Old Manus
10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Many moons ago I was just mashing buttons on Three Lions for PS1, when it turned out I had entered a pretty long cheat code which unlocked a new team. Later on I looked up some cheats for the game, and couldn't find any that did what I did. I haven't managed to do anything like it since :cry:

Quindiana Jones
10-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I had that on Sabrina the Teenage Witch for GameBoy, Manus. It was a wicked cheat that unlocked some weirdass level.

Don't look at me like that. I won the game in a poker match.

Araciel
10-30-2008, 03:22 AM
Playing Cranium Pop 5 (a wacky Canadian boardgame)

I have to let you in on some of the rules so bear with me if you still wanna know my finest moment ever.

In the game you're given five categories of how to win points (charades, pictionary, name that tune, sculpting pictionary, and boggle), each of which the opposing team arranges point scores 1-5 based on the current clue and how difficult they think it will be for you to get your team to guess what it is. Basically if they think it'll be hard for you to get your team to guess that your clue is 'The Love Boat' by drawing it, they'll put the five point marker on the pictionary slot and you then choose whether or not you want to go for five points.

ANYWAY the other team was one point from winning and we needed five (the maximum amount of points possible in one turn). It was to me to try and perform or draw or sculpt our way to victory, so when the other team started laughing I began to get nervous :P

They arranged the point markers and 'sculptorades' (the sculpting-pictionary category) was worth five points. I got the card telling me what I needed to get them to guess, and it was Beverly Hills Cop, the clue being of course 'movie'. I thought for a moment, then decided to go for it, and sculpt it.

I began manipulating the purple clay into a huge three-dimensional blob that no one recognized what I thought was clearly a car, and all the while both teams are laughing at me as I rush to my 30 or 60 second time limit. I sculpted a crude crescent shape and began to shove it into the tailpipe of my ugly car, hoping my team would catch onto what I was trying to do. Finally out of desperation I peeled my mini banana and began pressing it back into the exhaust..At the very last instant before the sand ran out of the egg timer, my team mate yelled the title of the film and we won.

I will forever be indebted to Steve for knowing what I was trying to say :D

The end.