PDA

View Full Version : usb ports and plugs

rubah
10-29-2008, 02:58 AM
if I have uh, slightly deformed my usb plug, will I mess up my usb port by plugging in the plug repeatedly in hopes that the port will instead deform the plug back to closer to its original shape?

qwertysaur
10-29-2008, 02:59 AM
Can you post a picture of how badly it's deformed?

rubah
10-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi Allison,

This is a repairable issue we will need to service here at Wacom. You'll need to call in and set up an RMA. The cost will include $22.50 for the parts, $40.00 for the labor, plus shipping and tax.

Hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to call, if you need further assistance.

http://www.snowy-day.net/pictures/things/tabletusbplug.jpg

my usb thumbdrive on the left for comparison.

Momiji
10-29-2008, 07:34 PM
If you're really good with a pair of small pliers, that should be easily fixed.

Otherwise, USB cables aren't THAT expensive, especially if you know some techy people who have spares. :p

rubah
10-29-2008, 07:50 PM
This is connected to a piece of hardware, deary. Built-in, you might say.

Also, pliers are how we got it TO that point :p

Momiji
10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Ah, well, I didn't know that.

Anyway, if pliers were how you got it to that point, then surely pliers can get it back to a fitting shape! :D

CimminyCricket
10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Unless they took it from super deformed to the shape it is now. :c\

Baloki
10-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Get a USB extension lead, plug one end into the deformed USB plug and never remove it, then use the other end as if it was the original USB plug and plug it into your laptop, problem solved.

Citizen Bleys
11-04-2008, 05:16 AM
USB is 4 pins. It doesn't get any simpler than that. As long as the pins line up, it will work. You can cut the outside of the terminator off altogether and it will still work. Also, if you don't bugger up the order of the 4 wires inside the cable, you can just snip the terminator off and pop a new one on there. I know a guy who actually cut open the power cord for a ball bearing fan (designed for use inside computers) and popped a USB terminator on it to use as a personal fan at work.

Momiji
11-04-2008, 05:19 AM
I know a guy who actually cut open the power cord for a ball bearing fan (designed for use inside computers) and popped a USB terminator on it to use as a personal fan at work.

That's...that's brilliant. o.o

rubah
11-04-2008, 05:29 AM
Mainly I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't deform the casing so that my other cords would be useless, but it doesn't seem that's happening. I guess apple used quality metal! (shock horror)

Citizen Bleys
11-05-2008, 05:00 AM
I know a guy who actually cut open the power cord for a ball bearing fan (designed for use inside computers) and popped a USB terminator on it to use as a personal fan at work.

That's...that's brilliant. o.o

Not for an engineer it's not. More run of the mill, really. It's 4 leads. The same as rj11 telephone cable that's been around since Christ.

Momiji
11-05-2008, 05:12 AM
I'm not an engineer. :D

Citizen Bleys
11-05-2008, 08:06 AM
You don't need to be an engineer. Red wire to pin 1, black wire to pin 4, middle 2 pins empty. The middle 2 are used for data, per the first hit on google for "USB schematic (http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/usb_cable_pinout.shtml). Just think of VCC (Voltage carrying circuit) as "positive" and GND as "negative," although the positive/negative nomenclature doesn't actually apply in this case.

EDIT: Read that over and it sounded snarky. This is not my intent. Just pointing out that USB pinouts aren't as complicated as you might think they are if you don't even try to find out how they work. Remember, "I can't" is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

crono_logical
11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Cutting off ends of cables and replacing with a new connector is nothing special, I do it to rj-45 network cables every now and then :p

Anyway, Baloki probably has the most sensible suggestion for once :D

Momiji
11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
You don't need to be an engineer. Red wire to pin 1, black wire to pin 4, middle 2 pins empty. The middle 2 are used for data, per the first hit on google for "USB schematic (http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/usb_cable_pinout.shtml). Just think of VCC (Voltage carrying circuit) as "positive" and GND as "negative," although the positive/negative nomenclature doesn't actually apply in this case.

EDIT: Read that over and it sounded snarky. This is not my intent. Just pointing out that USB pinouts aren't as complicated as you might think they are if you don't even try to find out how they work. Remember, "I can't" is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Well, I wasn't really talking about the cable-- I was talking about the fan. :p

Citizen Bleys
11-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Using a fan in the summertime is brilliant?

Momiji
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Using one that is meant for a computer! :p

rubah
11-06-2008, 02:06 AM
I can't be expected to understand you until I've taken circuits, so jus tlike, >:{

Citizen Bleys
11-06-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm discussing principles that are taught in junior high science classes in the province of Alberta.

rubah
11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
but not in Arkansas!

Baloki
11-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I can't be expected to understand you until I've taken circuits, so jus tlike, >:{

Guess you're ignoring my idea then :(

rubah
11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Baloki, do I have to respond to every thing you say?! Stu and I agreed that it would be the best idea if we could find such a device that was short, because this tablet already has a cord that is somewhere around 6 feet long and I think I'd freak out if it were longer.