PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3

Madame Adequate
10-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Who has it, who's getting it, what are people's opinions?

First time I left the vault I wanted to hide and cower forever. It was scary and intimidating and supremely awesome. Looking out over the ruined landscape and seeing the shattered remains of DC's monuments on the horizon.

When I was leaving the vault, I killed the Overseer. Amata was less than happy. I'm interested in seeing how that influences the game later!

Roto13
10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I want to try it but apparently it's like post-apocalyptic Oblivion and I don't like Oblivion. But a lot of that has to do with it wanting to be Lord of the Rings, so I guess this might be better.

Captain Maxx Power
10-29-2008, 05:27 PM
My weekend shall be taken up exclusively with killing Super Mutants and Radscorpions in the wasteland.

Loony BoB
10-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Having watched a few previews, nothing about it appeals to me. =| I don't get the hype.

Magixion
10-29-2008, 08:22 PM
I will be getting it. I haven't been able to yet though because of school, but this weekend will be Fallout 3 madness.

Craig
10-29-2008, 09:52 PM
can someone explain what this game actually is

CimminyCricket
10-29-2008, 09:56 PM
It's a huge RP thing where you can do whatever, whenever. Instead of it being swords and stuff like a regular RPG, you have guns. And http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif hit the fan, so the world sucks.

Madame Adequate
10-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Having watched a few previews, nothing about it appeals to me. =| I don't get the hype.

The hype came from two fronts. One was fans of Bethesda, for whom Oblivion with guns is a kickass idea. The other was fans of FO1 and 2, who hoped that a new FO would be a worthy addition to one of the best series of games ever made (No exaggeration; FO still does things that modern games don't).

The two were, of course, at odds with each other. The elitists at No Mutants Allowed were terrified of Oblivion with guns, and vice versa. NMA was never going to like it, they were never going to like anything except an isometric 2D game made by the exact team who made the first or second one. The FPS crowd, alternatively, hate that you can miss people you're aiming at, because skills count into accuracy.

The game's not perfect. Some of the dialogue and quest setup is frankly retarded*, and compared to the first two FOs just not worthy. The world feels amazing, but its small size is a huge detriment to it. And combat, whilst awesomely fun, is also extremely annoying because of freaking level scaling.

That said it's extremely engrossing and massive fun. And yeah, getting hold of a suit and strolling around wearing it is just great fun.

* Minor relevant One of the earliest quests available sees you tasked with exploring a store near the settlement of Megaton. To search for food and medical supplies. Now this is 200 years after a nuclear holocaust, and Megaton has been there for decades. You see the flaw? It turns out there is stuff there, but only because raiders have moved in. The idea that there might be anything left to scavange, which is implied by the questgiver, is just bizarre.

Craig
10-30-2008, 12:06 AM
ok so basically oblivion with guns in post apocalyptic world or whatever. sounds good

Araciel
10-30-2008, 03:11 AM
I think of it as an Oblivion seleton with a more 'traditional' RPG leveling system, mad max-like theme, and matrix-like gunplay scenes (which haven't gotten old in the seven hours I've played.)

I bought the regular edition (special editions seem pointless to me) last night and haven't played much but already want to restart :P

I agree, MILF that quest sounded pretty lamely built and it kind of depends on players being players... I hope to see less of that type of thing further on..

Shoeberto
10-30-2008, 03:25 AM
ok so basically oblivion with guns in post apocalyptic world or whatever. sounds good
I was going to make a point here but I can't back it up, so instead I'll pose a question to Milfy: Is it still designed with the same skill building style as the old Fallouts or did they make it Oblivion-like where you can be everything to everyone and a total jack of all trades?

What I really liked about the original Fallout games was how I really felt like my character was mine because every choice, from conversation trees to how I spent my points, had a real longstanding effect on the game. You couldn't just make things up and skip through conversations.

So is it the same? Because I want to say "Well as an RPG it's very different from Oblivion because you can't just power level everything and be super amazing badass at it all" but yeah I don't actually know that.

Araciel
10-30-2008, 03:41 AM
So far it feels like old FO games. You have your attributes and a skill system (each skill is based on an attribute) that you put points into every level, and then you have perks which enhance them.

Markus. D
10-30-2008, 04:29 AM
Oh awesome! I love systems with leveling :D!

Enjoying it still?

Bunny
10-30-2008, 05:02 AM
It's a huge RP thing where you can do whatever, whenever. Instead of it being swords and stuff like a regular RPG, you have guns. And :skull::skull::skull::skull: hit the fan, so the world sucks.

Can you actually do whatever, whenever? There have been plenty of other games that have made this claim and then fall short on it because they don't know how to make it happen.

Slothy
10-30-2008, 11:26 AM
I was going to make a point here but I can't back it up, so instead I'll pose a question to Milfy: Is it still designed with the same skill building style as the old Fallouts or did they make it Oblivion-like where you can be everything to everyone and a total jack of all trades?

The leveling system isn't the same as Oblivions. You get experience from combat and quests and get skill points to allocate when you level up. You can allocate them to several stats as you see fit, but the levels cap at 20 before you ever come close to maxing everything. So no, you can't be all things to everyone.

KoShiatar
10-30-2008, 12:09 PM
My BF is going to get this, and I'm willing to get a first impression from him.

Magixion
10-30-2008, 03:59 PM
I have only played a short bit (a couple of hours), but I am loving it so far. I love the VATS system (the bullet-time targeting system), definitely makes for some awesome kill-shots. I can't wait to see what's in store for the next couple of hours.

Shoeberto
10-30-2008, 05:37 PM

The leveling system isn't the same as Oblivions. You get experience from combat and quests and get skill points to allocate when you level up. You can allocate them to several stats as you see fit, but the levels cap at 20 before you ever come close to maxing everything. So no, you can't be all things to everyone.
Awesome!

Kossage
10-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Whoa, look how time flies. I've been waiting for a continuation for the Fallout series for a long time, and it's finally here. I loved the first two Fallout games to bits, so I hope that Bethesda will at least have followed up the quality of Black Isle Studios and created an adequate successor to the series. :)

Too bad I'll need to save money to buy a better computer before I can even dream of trying this one out. I look forward to playing the game, though, once the time is right. :D

BoB: One of the appealing things about the first two Fallout games was how the world was quite big and everything you did affected pretty much everything. You could be a reviled character in one town and be a messianic hero in another (although news do spread...), and you could make the character a combat-oriented person or someone who prefers to use wits and speech to solve problems. The morality wasn't clear-cut, and often the decisions you made turned out to be gray. You could thus play a clear villain or hero or something in between, and it wasn't always easy to know who was really the bad guy. Your actions had long-term effects on the world in general, and the world itself was quite a gritty place with prostitution, child abuse, fear, paranoia etc. but also with redeeming virtues. In short, you could do almost anything but you had to be prepared to face the consequencies of your actions. Such an open-ended and complex world was something that I liked in the Fallout games, and I hope the third game will feature at least a fraction of that complexity.

Madame Adequate
10-30-2008, 08:20 PM
It's a huge RP thing where you can do whatever, whenever. Instead of it being swords and stuff like a regular RPG, you have guns. And :skull::skull::skull::skull: hit the fan, so the world sucks.

Can you actually do whatever, whenever? There have been plenty of other games that have made this claim and then fall short on it because they don't know how to make it happen.

No, but, it goes a long way further towards than that most other games do. In Fallout 1, if you did stuff the right way, you could basically talk the last boss out of it. Which is such an awesome way to win!

JKTrix
10-31-2008, 04:13 AM
About that spoilered-out food-finding mission thing... if you didn't notice, the chick is kind of a nut job. I mean, she also asks you to go out and irradiate yourself so she can ask you how you feel then give you some medecine (though you get a pretty rad mutation if you go through with it to the extreme). And to go and disarm some land mines. All different levels of bizarre. She's not exactly on the same plane of thought as 'normal' people.

In the beginning, did you take the gun from Amata when she first offers it to you? I didn't, and when I saw the result of that a little later on my mind was blown.

Madame Adequate
10-31-2008, 04:33 AM
About that spoilered-out food-finding mission thing... if you didn't notice, the chick is kind of a nut job. I mean, she also asks you to go out and irradiate yourself so she can ask you how you feel then give you some medecine (though you get a pretty rad mutation if you go through with it to the extreme). And to go and disarm some land mines. All different levels of bizarre. She's not exactly on the same plane of thought as 'normal' people.

In the beginning, did you take the gun from Amata when she first offers it to you? I didn't, and when I saw the result of that a little later on my mind was blown.

Yeah, Moira's nuts, but it's not well-conveyed that it's a dumb idea or anything. It just feels like you're given a regular fetch quest. The other stuff certainly feels like a crazy girl asking you to do crazy things; that one didn't successfully convey it at all.

I took the gun from Amata. Didn't even think not to. I'll have to check it out =O

Nominus Experse
10-31-2008, 10:46 AM
My laptop cannot run this game... Makes me rather sad indeed.

Gilghamut
10-31-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm enjoying this game quite a lot, though it's my first Fallout game. The VATS system is really neat, nothing like waiting for a mole rate to jump at you, then slow time down and aim for it's head just to watch it's body go one way, and it's head the other. :D

Vermachtnis
10-31-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm enjoying this game quite a lot, though it's my first Fallout game. The VATS system is really neat, nothing like waiting for a mole rate to jump at you, then slow time down and aim for it's head just to watch it's body go one way, and it's head the other. :D

That sounds awesome. Fallout always had to awesome deaths I had some fun with the Bloody Mess trait in Fallout 2. I shot someone in the groin with a Gauss Rifle once and they pretty much exploded.

JKTrix
11-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Y'all know you can pick pockets right? Well, instead of stealing stuff from someone, try putting a grenade into their pocket...

Gilghamut
11-01-2008, 06:16 AM

That sounds awesome. Fallout always had to awesome deaths I had some fun with the Bloody Mess trait in Fallout 2. I shot someone in the groin with a Gauss Rifle once and they pretty much exploded.

The head isn't the only body part that can be shot off either. There's also a Bloody Mess perk which increases the chance of causing a body to explode at the point of death. :D

Araciel
11-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Y'all know you can pick pockets right? Well, instead of stealing stuff from someone, try putting a grenade into their pocket...

Best xbox achievement ever.

Dolentrean
11-02-2008, 06:58 AM
I have been playing this game to the point that I haven't even got on here to post about it.

Fun Fact: Fallout 3 = Win

Captain Maxx Power
11-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Apox on this game, it's too good! I'm supposed to have University work done for tomorrow and I physically can't stop playing. Seriously, actually unable to stop.

Roto13
11-02-2008, 07:43 PM

The hype came from two fronts. One was fans of Bethesda, for whom Oblivion with guns is a kickass idea.

One commenter on Jeff Green's blog said (attributing this to Xplay), "If you consider Fallout 3 just being Oblivion with guns, then you probably also consider Jurassic Park just Jaws with dinosaurs."

I lol'd

Quindiana Jones
11-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I'd've bought the bastard thing if my feckin' 360 hadn't RRODed me. :(

Aerith's Knight
11-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I keep reading about this in a gaming internet comic. Is it a good game or was the previous one good?

Jiro
11-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I may be picking this game up soon. It looks pretty awesome. It's just a battle between my wallet, my desire to play and my huge load of school work... Let's hope I can get it :)

LunarWeaver
11-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I am not very far, but it's been very interesting. It wasn't what I wanted Gamefly to send me, but it's a pleasant surprise. I wish they'd stop sending me the third game on my list all the same.

At least my 360 is completely quiet playing this game. No more loading noise headaches like I had with Fable II, ohohoho.

I like that I can switch to a RE4-ish type of perspective. Ultimately there's little different between the first-person or that, but I always liked seeing my character for whatever reason. Maybe because he's a hot blond like I've always wanted to be. Goddamn you blond people.

Madame Adequate
11-04-2008, 12:15 AM
I finished it earlier today. It was great overall but the ending sucked ass in so many ways. They must have rushed like hell to get it out the door or something.

LunarWeaver
11-05-2008, 12:51 AM
I found a pretty cool interactive world map :aimmad:

Fallout 3 Navi (http://f3navi.blogspot.com/)

I'm too lazy to search the world.

JKTrix
11-05-2008, 03:12 AM
I finished it earlier today. It was great overall but the ending sucked ass in so many ways. They must have rushed like hell to get it out the door or something.

Multiple endings. (they say over 200, though I think that number is just little tweaks that can be made to 4 or 5 very different endings) Your character must have been lame :P

I haven't played it for a couple of days, but I'm achin' to.

Madame Adequate
11-05-2008, 04:02 AM

Multiple endings. (they say over 200, though I think that number is just little tweaks that can be made to 4 or 5 very different endings) Your character must have been lame :P

I can't link to proof without spoiling, but there are only 8 endings. There are no permutations based on other things you did - only three variables exist, and you get the following:

Part 1, Part 2a or 2b, Part 3a or 3b, Part 4a or 4b, and Part 5.

And there's a very good reason the ending is retarded. These spoilers are total ending spoilers, so fair warning:

Part 1 is "You left the Vault to follow your dad."

Part 2 is your karma. Good or bad.

Part 3 is whether you sacrificed yourself, or Sentinel Lyons. There's a character, Fawkes, who is immune to radiation. The final act in the game is to choose who goes into a radiation flooded chamber. The problems are that A) You can quite easily have enough radiation resistence to get in and out safely, but you die anyway if you go in, and B) You can't choose to have Fawkes go in.

Part 4 is whether you used the modified FEV to cleanse the Wasteland of anyone with mutations. Super mutants, Ghouls, and humans who were afflicted. Problem: My character was an idealist. He was a GOOD guy. He believed that sacrificing some good people to kill the Super Mutants and Ghouls who held most of DC in their grip was worth it. He also risked his own death, seeing as he'd mutated! The ending portrayed him not as misguided, or questionable, or willing to sacrifice even himself for the greater good, but as a genocidal quasi-nazi maniac.

Part 5 is "He walked into the wasteland forever yadda yadda" even though he should probably be very dead.

So two of the three changable ending parts are decided in the last minute of play, and very little you do throughout the game influences the ending. But yeah, mainly that Fawkes and/or radiation proofing is smurfing retarded.

Captain Maxx Power
11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah the ending sucked. That seems par for the course for most games these days which annoys me. But the rest of the game is so awesome I'm almost willing to let it slide.

LunarWeaver
11-09-2008, 04:58 AM
I have completely lost all interest in this game. I didn't even touch it all day today, and usually I play the game I'm currently completing every day at some point. For some reason, I really don't like it, even though by all objective opinion it is a great game. I'm just gonna flog myself and return it.

Bolivar
11-09-2008, 08:07 PM
I started playing it the other day and got to the first town... the intro was really great but I'm a little intimidated by the open world and just the multitude of options. Can't really form an opinion of it, and I don't know how much I'll be playing, but it appears very well done so far. Playing it on an SDTV, so I haven't seen all those graphical problems people have been noting on the PS3.

Rase
11-11-2008, 03:43 AM
I'm running through with two characters right now. One's the typical "I'm a psycho who will do whatever for money or goods" whose karma has long since bottomed out. The other is me actually doing things as I would do. So far any complaints I wanna make are overshadowed by the games awesomeness, so I'm a fan.

Vermachtnis
11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
So I finally got to play it at my friends house. Since I put all my SPECIAL into Agility and Charisma I played it a lot different than him. And my GOAT was pretty accurate too, with Explosives, Small Guns, and Speak. I changed Explosives to Sneak though. I stole the key and password from the Overseer. And when I got to Megaton I just talked to the guy at the Saloon and he gave me the info on where my dad went. My friend watching got irritated cause he had to do a quest for him to get that information. But even still I didn't advance the story. I was doing quests for that woman. There's no such thing as Ghosts. I shouldn't be afraid of the minefield xD. Same what happened to the Sherrif though. I reloaded my nearest save to that point, but he didn't change anything. Oh well, at least his kid gave me a house.

Iceglow
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Hmm still first page so this post is good to go...

I just got my mitts on Fallout 3 (360 ofcourse) as an early xmas present. What to say, I took the gun from Amata at first, I've just done the supermarket raid mission and well suspected from the off that raiders would be there. Even without reading Milf's spoiler tagged post. I have to admit, VATs is incredibly useful, I merely snuck around and used a 10mm pistol (even though I got a shotgun and assault rifle early on in my raid, I remember how tough fallout games were and am saving the biggest and best guns for later) The only thing that bugs me is the repair shop for my equipment, I repair my stuff but because of the Oblivion esque take everything from the dead I have always got too much stuff to sell really, so I'm like never losing any money. I am however considering re-doing the game I've not got many hours in and I'm enjoying it so far but I feel I could have made a few wiser decisions earlier on.

TEDDYRAY
12-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Yeah i got Fallout when it came out and i enjoyed after awhile but being broke non stop and not being able to keep my weapons in use ( the radiation will destroy your weapons after a while) lol in megaton I shot the 2 headed cow in the town and the people didnt like it too much they kicked me out.

Bunny
12-17-2008, 04:45 PM
I played it briefly and created a Michael Jackson monstrosity who reeked absolute havoc in Vault 101 and on several rabid dogs shortly after leaving said Vault.

Iceglow
12-19-2008, 01:10 AM
The most annoying thing for me is the lack of a real limit to carry weight. Sure I move slowly and cannot jump around, however I can still walk away from a mission with 400 - 500 weight of items when my capacity is more like 150. Other than that this game so far is pretty remarkable as being a good addition to the Fallout Franchise, I was a little surprised however to notice the following though:

Even though Fallout has always been 18 rated and very open about sex, more particulary prostitution and lesbian sexuality when you rent a room from Moriarty at Megaton prior to getting the free house for the deactivating the nuke mission (I haven't tried to rig it for the other side of the mission, I'm deciding to play nice, also megaton is useful to me for trading ect) to sleep in and Nova follows you up there is no conversation or even sound effect/notification to let the player know whether or not their character did have sex. This seems a little too Oblivionesque to me with it's safe for younger players environment but Fallout normally would openly allow you to hire a prostitute and use her with some kind of confirmation ect. I just didn't expect there to be nothing mentioned other than a fully clothed Nova sleeping on the bed whilst you're in the room also if you speak to her she leaves.

Vyk
12-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah, that spoiler surprised me too. Kinda pissed me off the first time 'cause I spoke to her first and wasted my money

Iceglow
12-19-2008, 03:24 AM
The only reason it's in a spoiler tag is it involves some of the minor plot elements to do with early quests and not everyone has this game or has had chance to play it. But yeah I am for the most part finding Fallout 3 a lot tamer than the other Fallout games have been. I'm not saying I'm disappointed in it for this it's an observation of it sure theres the gore but there isn't some of the minor things I'd expect from Fallout.

Same what happened to the Sherrif though. I reloaded my nearest save to that point, but he didn't change anything. Oh well, at least his kid gave me a house.

I assume you typo'd the word shame here, I found that part of the game incessantly annoying. On my first character, when it went down I was ready with my assault rifle in hand and immediately when I saw the gun pulled up VATS and blew the guys head off. Unfortunately this didn't stop me from being set upon by all the people in Megaton including Simms! :lol: However I'd made a few mistakes on that characters development in any situation and so started up a second char and deleted the first one. Well theres a way to avoid the scene altogether however it does mean letting the guy get away with what he tries somewhat, if you never mention the other plot to Simms then Simms will never act, then when you've got a lot more sneak and steal skill you can go to the other guy and stuff a grenade in his pocket and stand back and watch. If you remain undetected I imagine you'd get bad karma but not set upon. Basically the game makes you choose what Simms does and the effect of that action. Being Simms is a pretty good but tough guy if you mention anything to him he will act on it, sometimes it's better for people not to know of the bad things that goes on under their noses.

Jings
12-20-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm having such a hard time enjoying this game. I loved the originals and want to like this too, it's just not happening. Something about it just bores me to death.

Leaving the vault and turning on the Enclave radio was really cool though. Listening to 'America the Beautiful' while walking through a bleak, deserted wasteland was an excellent start to the adventure. Shame it all went downhill from then on.

Casey
12-24-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm having such a hard time enjoying this game. I loved the originals and want to like this too, it's just not happening. Something about it just bores me to death.

Leaving the vault and turning on the Enclave radio was really cool though. Listening to 'America the Beautiful' while walking through a bleak, deserted wasteland was an excellent start to the adventure. Shame it all went downhill from then on.

I agree. I played Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, and that game was fun and had missions and lots of places to goto. In this game there is a lot to do, but to me there wasn't that many missions to do... or maybe I missed some? I ended up beating the game and didn't like the ending despite it being short. IMO.

Fonzie
12-24-2008, 06:41 AM

I agree. I played Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, and that game was fun and had missions and lots of places to goto. In this game there is a lot to do, but to me there wasn't that many missions to do... or maybe I missed some? I ended up beating the game and didn't like the ending despite it being short. IMO.

Sooooo many missions/places to explore in this game. I think you're just not looking hard enough lol

Quindiana Jones
12-24-2008, 10:44 AM
^ Yeah. There's plenty of missions.

Dreddz
12-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I picked up Fallout 3 yesterday (because Christmas is always about buying presents for yourself) and I've put in around 3 or so hours. I'm with Noctiluca with this one. I can appreciate the game and can see why its so highly rated but I've found myself being bored half the time while playing. Wandering the wasteland is incredibly dull. The combat is boring both as an RPG and a FPS. And its also the same enemies types over and over again.

The VATS system is also just stupid by design. Why are you given the option to target all parts of someones body if it is always most effective to shoot for the head. Although its always satisfying to watch peoples limbs fly off left and right.

Again. I've only played a couple of hours so maybe I just haven't seen what this game really has to offer but so far the only interesting thing that has happened was me doing in Butches mum. That's what she deserves for raising such a bastard child.

Shoeberto
12-24-2008, 05:50 PM
The VATS system is also just stupid by design. Why are you given the option to target all parts of someones body if it is always most effective to shoot for the head. Although its always satisfying to watch peoples limbs fly off left and right.
I haven't played yet, but in the old one, the head wasn't always the easiest to hit, nor the most effective spot. If you have a 0% chance of hitting the head you just have to go for the next best thing. Plus, if you're against some bad MF who barely gets scratched from your head shots who can move ridiculously fast, or has some ridiculous weapon, you might be better off taking out his legs or arms. Early in the game it might not matter, but at some point tactics might become more important.

Like I said, haven't played yet, but I'm really excited to. I asked for it for Christmas, won't be able to play it until I go back to Allie's but I expect to put some good time into it.

Shorty
12-24-2008, 07:23 PM
I can't stop playing this game. I'm going in to Oblivion after.

Iceglow
12-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Dreddz I'm just going to say, Super Mutants. These bad ass mofo's are the bane of the "I'll just shoot him in the face 3 times for the win!" routine. They're surprising, some will be good shots or just have some ridiculous big weapon which makes little to no difference as to if it hits you or not, this includes rocket launchers. a close proximity blast will hurt lots as well as a direct hit. Let one close to close combat and well, it's pretty much over, taking legs off or arms off often provides you with a good chance to actually win toe to toe but otherwise you use sniper rifles and mines usually or your own ridiculously big gun. Also I've heard that the higher difficulties are a lot harder in comparison. The other thing to note is are you a stealther? If you are then sure a critical hit to the head is good however what if the range is long and you're using say for example a 10mm pistol? you need to aim for the chest to get the kill still and yes, 1 bullet stealth vats shot to chest can kill. Plus Vats is taking it's cue from the old action point/turn based combat of Fallout 1 - 2.5

Dreddz
12-26-2008, 11:21 AM
But the percentage for hitting someones head is usually not far off the percentage for the leg. I have yet to run from a fight because Fallout 3 is so damn easy (it has to be said) although I would understand if you could slow them down by shooting for the legs. I'd also imagine shooting the arms would make them drop their weapon.

Half of my stats haven't risen at all and I think the stealth one is one of them. I've only ever found need to raise my Lockpicking and Hacking stats as they seem the most useful.

Gilghamut
12-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Try fighting Deathclaws, those you definitely need to cripple one of their legs if you wish to survive. Those things are so nasty, I'd rather fight a Super Mutant Behemoth.

Iceglow
12-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Deathclaws are indeed nasty, heck a fire ant if you're poorly equipped can make you human toast too.

Shorty
12-27-2008, 12:35 AM
The fire ants were so bad for me. I wasn't very leveled, and it took me hours and hours of fighting. I got fed up and had to leave and go somewhere else.

Also, I haven't fought very many death claws, but the couple I've encountered I've managed to snipe from a distance off. I keep hearing really awful things about them, though.

erikramza
12-27-2008, 01:42 AM
A SHOCKER TO ME.. is that there are actually more dialoge options in Mass Effect than this game.

Even on the harder difficulties while not power leveled, or very leveled at all I didn't find much challenge in this title...

Don't get me wrong. Deathclaws will still one or two shot me. At times the v.a.t.s. system feels a little unbalanced, while at others it feels necessary to survival.

Anyways, I loved the game, although perhaps not as much as the second installment in the trilogy.

Bunny
12-27-2008, 02:01 AM
I hate Raiders and their amazing accuracy.

Fonzie
12-27-2008, 03:22 AM
A SHOCKER TO ME.. is that there are actually more dialoge options in Mass Effect than this game.

Even on the harder difficulties while not power leveled, or very leveled at all I didn't find much challenge in this title...

Don't get me wrong. Deathclaws will still one or two shot me. At times the v.a.t.s. system feels a little unbalanced, while at others it feels necessary to survival.

Anyways, I loved the game, although perhaps not as much as the second installment in the trilogy.

I suggest to wait a little a bit for the DLC that's coming for Windows/360(no ps3 DLC), might add that extra spark you wanted. ;)

Shoeberto
12-27-2008, 05:19 AM

The beginning of what you said is that stuff that worries me but the last part makes me feel excited still.

Little over a week until I get to check it out myself... (I started up a game of Fallout 1 just to get me in the mood though)

erikramza
12-27-2008, 06:02 AM

The beginning of what you said is that stuff that worries me but the last part makes me feel excited still.

Little over a week until I get to check it out myself... (I started up a game of Fallout 1 just to get me in the mood though)

It does hold very, very true to the classic formula. but I can't help but get the feel that it's moreso a patched Oblivion, than a true sequel.

"Oblivion with guns" is probably the most accurate description I've heard.

Karellen
12-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Oblivion with Guns is so overused that it's just become obnoxious. I say we all move on to FOblivion 3.

Madame Adequate
12-27-2008, 01:49 PM
That's unfair to Fallout 3 though, tbh, because whatever else can be said about the game, it is a massive improvement over Oblivion and it fixes pretty much everything which was wrong with that game.

erikramza
12-27-2008, 07:59 PM
That's unfair to Fallout 3 though, tbh, because whatever else can be said about the game, it is a massive improvement over Oblivion and it fixes pretty much everything which was wrong with that game.

Explain please. It still appears to glitch to crap when the cache fills up... for me, anayways?

Madame Adequate
12-27-2008, 08:16 PM

Explain please. It still appears to glitch to crap when the cache fills up... for me, anayways?

I meant in gameplay terms. Though truthfully, I'm not paranoid about FO3 like I am about Oblivion.

Dreddz
12-27-2008, 09:52 PM
This game just pissed me off more than any game has in recent memory. The game auto-saves whenever you enter through a door. So I am at the ancourage memorial and leave through the sewer exit. Once I'm outside it autosaves but I'm in radiated waters and my health depletes rapidly, not giving me enough time to re-enter where I came from. And there are those sewer men surrounding me so I can't quickly fast travel anywhere. So I kept dying and respawning in the same place to die again. I had saved about 2 hours previously so I had to go all the way back. What kind of http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif is that. This game has so many technical problems it shouldn't have been released till next year.

Raebus
12-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Great game, I enjoyed every moment of it.

Iceglow
12-28-2008, 12:16 AM
This game just pissed me off more than any game has in recent memory. The game auto-saves whenever you enter through a door. So I am at the ancourage memorial and leave through the sewer exit. Once I'm outside it autosaves but I'm in radiated waters and my health depletes rapidly, not giving me enough time to re-enter where I came from. And there are those sewer men surrounding me so I can't quickly fast travel anywhere. So I kept dying and respawning in the same place to die again. I had saved about 2 hours previously so I had to go all the way back. What kind of http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif is that. This game has so many technical problems it shouldn't have been released till next year.

No Dreddz, this actually just shows you were stupid and didn't save regulary it comes under the whole "the problem lies with the user not the technology" principle. Autosaving doesn't overwrite your save files and can actually be disabled. Thus you should have saved regulary. As for technical problems? I've not encountered any, the random drop of equipment in the first real quest the game gives you (the grocery store raid) provides a breath of fresh air because on some of the files I've played I ended up with assault rifles others I've gotten hunting rifles in my file now I have around 5 laser pistols (which means I probably should've tagged the laser weapon skill but it's random chance as to whether I'll find this or not. I might get Simms killed so I can get myself a chineese assault rifle) It shakes things up it makes you do things you wouldn't normally do.

Milf, the raiders accuracy is indeed fearsome, once when I could barely get 35% accuracy in Vats for the raider's head with my 10mm pistol their sawn off hit me squarely 3 times before I managed to move back enough that my aim wasn't blocked and theirs was off. Still if I had gotten a hunting rifle or assault rifle earlier I believe I'd have taken them out with 0 damage. Best thing to do with raiders is sneak and get sneak attack criticals even a chest shot should be 1 hit kill if you do them right.

Other thing I noticed about the first grocery store raider based mission is the super pharmacy has a robot inside, if you hack the terminal next to the robot's pod you can activate it, when activated with the door behind you open the robot will go off in search of intruders and attack them with it's built in laser pistol. This gives you extra laser ammo when it dies and some scrap metal. However when you find the robot in combat be sure never to give it a hand, once you attack a raider it'll declare you a hostile too and then you get forced to destroy something which can take out 1 - 2 raiders for you.

Shoeberto
01-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Started finally about two days ago. I've been really putting a lot of focus on sneak and speech. Speech hasn't really seemed to do all that much for me though. I'm not sure how far I am, though. I've done a lot of side quests and all I've really done for the main quest has been to fix the GNR dish. So here's hoping I get to do some killer stuff with it.

Also, my favorite moment so far: I see a super mutant at the end of a tunnel standing away from me. I sneak somewhat close then lay frag mines, figuring I'll back off, shoot to get his attention, then let the mines take care of him. I get three set leading a trail up to me, pull out my hunting rifle and do a non-VATS (I'm out of range to even do that), non-zoomed shot.

It crits and kills him with one shot, with him having started at full health. I just sort of sat in silence for a second before grumbling that I'd have to disarm and pick up those mines :(

Quindiana Jones
01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
My best moment was shooting the Railway Rifle, long distance no VATS, at a Raider and having it rip his head off and pin it to a wall. All in all, about a 400 metre trip. I was kinda gutted though, because it was at that moment that I knew that nothing this game had to offer was going to be as awesome as that.

Also, this game has the worst ending(s) of any game ever. Thoroughly disappointed, and tremendously pissed.

Dreddz
01-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Just beat the game today. Overall I thought it was ok, would have been better if the story didn't move so slowly near the end and that the ending itself wasn't just a slideshow (how lazy can you get, honestly). One big flaw with the ending was that Fawkes could come with you all the way to the purifier but refused to punch in the code despite him being immune to radiation. What kind of bullcrap is that? And it should be obvious why the ending sucked so much. Fallout 3 had confirmed DLC coming before it was even released, same with GTA4 and Tomb Raider Underworld (both also having noticably bad endings), so I reckon the true conclusion to the story will arrive in the DLC. Of course I could be entirely wrong but its worth noting nonetheless. I detest what developers are doing with DLC these days and always choose to boycott it.

Madame Adequate
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
The thing is though that the DLC apparently contravenes several possible endings. Your character only actually survives if you send Lyons into the room, and presumably refuses to use the modified FEV. It would have made a lot more sense to have a good ending because that could have fed into the DLC much more easily. I don't think it's anything to do with the desire to sell DLC, and is everything to do with Bethesda's inexplicable inability to do anything good in plot terms since Morrowind.

Caraliz
04-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Have a ps3 lent to me and obsessively playing Fallout 3.

Decided not to kill the overseer this time.

About to escape the vault. I got Butch's tunnel snakes jacket.

drotato
05-21-2009, 04:15 PM
It was amazing, in my opinion. I loved the level up system. It made me happy. And I loved the character creation... the graphics weren't wonderful, but it was really a nice game.

Laddy
05-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I feel that it tried to hard to be 'mainstream' but destroyed much of what the first two games so great. =/

It's a good game, but not nearly as good as it should of been. Fallout is an RPG. Not an RPG/FPS hybrid.

Paro
05-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Fallout 3 DLC heading to PS3 in June!!!!