PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Name Stuff?

Evastio
10-30-2008, 11:53 PM
So how do you name stuff? Do you name stuff after friends, come up with completely unique names, give it a name based on what it is, (like "Lappy" for a laptop or "Compy" for a computer) get someone else to name it for you, etc? It can be anything from pets, online accounts, or stuffed animals.

I usually invent names for everything I name (kind of like my name Evastio). I don't really like naming things after myself or other people (because my real name is awkward and other people might be offended being named after something).

Yar
10-30-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't know that I name stuff, per se, but when I'm joking around I may give something a stupid name.

Although, I do call my toolbag at work my purse, and refer to everyone else's bags as purses. :)

Tavrobel
10-30-2008, 11:57 PM
For nicknames of people, I take either a completely random name, or I take one of that person's attributes, and let connections connect. I've once gotten from Sweet Wag to Gingersnap. For not-so-living things, I either shorten it or put it in letters.

theundeadhero
10-31-2008, 12:09 AM
If I want what it is to represent me I give it a nick-name of mine. Sometimes I name things like video game characters with friends names and other times I use names I like.

Vermachtnis
10-31-2008, 12:38 AM
I add -ie to the end of stuff. Like Doggie, Greenie, Shortie (she loves that nickname by the way. Gave me my own nickname of Dumbass xD). Sometimes I actually think nicknames out though. Like this one chick I know. I call her Amazon. That went over better than Shortie and she actually embraced it.

rubah
10-31-2008, 12:47 AM
Ideally, things will find their own names. My dog mussie was kinda nameless for a while until Mussinus alit upon his being like a leaf dropping into your hand in autumn.

I name computer hardware after life and death.

Bunny
10-31-2008, 01:04 AM
I add prestigious titles to everything I own. For instance, my portable hard drives are named Dr. Hard Drive (100 gig) and Lord Hard Drive (250 gig). They are brothers, you know.

Rantz
10-31-2008, 01:22 AM
I call my computer "computer". If I had a dog I would call it the "dog". If I had a cat I would call it "cat". If I had two or more pets of the same type I would pick their most prominent characteristic and prepend it to the previously mentioned base (e.g. "big dog", "jumpy cat", "http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifty parrot that cannot even talk").

Momiji
10-31-2008, 01:49 AM
I named my laptop 'Yotsuba'.

When naming things, I often make portmaneaus or compound words based on relative subjects to the subject at hand.

Zeldy
10-31-2008, 03:07 AM
I can't say I think about it. I changed all my mate's names so that they'd have 'ie' at the end, like Rachy, Marky, Hanny, Ellie, they're easier to say! and it's cute.

Items though, no, I'm not that stupid to call my computer "compy", it's just "computer".

Meow
10-31-2008, 03:36 AM
yotsuba is a restaurant in michigan

Moon Rabbits
10-31-2008, 04:55 AM
I call things whatever I think of.

Momiji
10-31-2008, 05:12 AM
yotsuba is a restaurant in michigan

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/momijitsukuyomi/1220898410023.jpg

Yotsuba.

Note: Yotsuba can translate to 'four-leaves', which is reflected in her green four-pigtail hairstyle.

:heart:

Denmark
10-31-2008, 05:34 AM
I guess that's why they call that forum "random" xD

In video games I have a sequence of names I go through. Rob, Spim, Zeke, then I don't usually play more than three times.

My computer is named Spim after the best playthrough of Ocarina of Time ever, which was also a very random name.

Mostly random.

Psychotic
10-31-2008, 05:43 AM
I named my dog in Fable II Jerome.

BardTard
11-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I named my computer Bunnycat cus it's small and cute, like a bunny or a cat. (I usually just end up calling it a stupid piece of crap though) And I call my lover Blainjamin cus his name is just Blaine but it sounds like it's short for something. I'm not that creative though. I'm better at coming up with names for GFs on FF8.

blackmage_nuke
11-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Everyone called me crazy but i knew i wasnt the only one!!!

My guitar is called stringy, my violin is called squeeky, my keyboard is called buttons, my slinky is called slinkers.

Lynx
11-02-2008, 11:35 PM
usually it just comes out of random or by combining 2 words that mean something that has to do with what im naming. or sometimes rearranging the letters in named things and naming something of mine with the scrambled name.

smittenkitten
11-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Names just seem to come to me. My computer is called Terabithia, my username smittenkitten just came to me as well. I didn't really think about it at all it just came to me sort of. Just random in a way. ^__^

XxSephirothxX
11-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Usually literary or other sorts of allusions. For instance, my harddrives are named thusly:

Penitent Tangent
Ascendant Justice
Guilty Spark
Keyes
Johnson
Silent Cartographer

Mittopotahis
11-03-2008, 03:34 AM
For a video I made for a collaborative channel on YouTube I named a few inanimate objects. I used the technique I use naming my pokemon to name these objects. It usually involves a long-winded derivation but still relating to the object. For instance:

I named my stereo Belle, because my stereo produces sound, sound is measured in Decibels, shortened it to Bel, Belle :D

I named my Bed Christian, because it is the place of Rapid Eye Movement REM, REM is also a band, my favourite song by them is Losing My Religion, and my religion is Christianity.

Also I named my watch Lucky because in the past I've had the worst luck with watches, but my current one has lasted me ages! :D

Shoeberto
11-03-2008, 03:46 AM
Usually I leave inanimate objects with their stock names. The rare exemption to this is Highway 18, my media storage drive. Originally I named a bunch of my partitions with names from Half-Life 2, like Nova Prospekt, Black Mesa East and Highway 17. But then I lost everything when my mbr got f'ed so Highway 17 was reborn as Highway 18, and it's really the only one that's stuck.

Madame Adequate
11-03-2008, 05:15 AM
I name stuff with words that sound awesome.

Iceglow
11-03-2008, 08:14 AM
I've a tendency to abbrieviate things, so computer becomes "com" ect ect. I also have a weird throwback to childhood which I have NEVER grown out of mainly because 99% of people who hear it laugh call it cute then adopt it which is I call any and all washing up liquids "Fairy-up liquid" it's really just as a kid I skipped saying "fairy washing up liquid" and adopted the fairy-up which everyone loves me for. Oh and speaking of friends nicknames, I call a friend Jailbait even though she's not actually Jailbait because walking down a street with her looks so dodgy

Gwawr
11-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I name all of my instruments. My harp is called Ceridigwyn, or Ceri. My piano is called Guinivere and my oboe is called Alistair.

I started with Welsh names, but I'm in a family of 11 so I ran out quite quickly - they were all taken!

Balzac
11-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I named my dog in Fable II Jerome.

I called mine Toto.

Thais
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
I just name things based kinda on what they do, with what sounds good. Well, except for my laptop, I guess. I named that based on anime (Motoko) :p

My favorite is the name I gave the toaster: Poppy :p

Jiro
11-07-2008, 10:06 AM
My iPod was named by a friend Poddy. I don't name any other inanimate objects. I normally name video game characters after myself, my nickname, my screen name or after friends. Or names I like.

I just name things whatever I want to, no real system :D

Yuffie514
11-08-2008, 08:38 AM
For Final Fantasy, I like to give namesakes to the characters, from previous titles of course. As for other things, I like to create elaborate names that may never have been thought of before or portmanteaus.

Markus. D
11-08-2008, 09:05 AM
In a game I'll ussually stay pretty zealous to the true name if already pre-named.