PDA

View Full Version : Ad Muminem(s) and other (il)logical fa(i)llacies (?) (where am I)

Rantz
10-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Ad Muminem, where you attack someone's mum instead of answering the question/argument. Here is an example:

"When philosophy discovers something wrong with science, sometimes science has to be changed — Russell's paradox comes to mind, as does Berkeley's attack on the actual infinitesimal — but more often it is philosophy that has to be changed. I do not think that the difficulties that philosophy finds with classical mathematics today are genuine difficulties; and I think that the philosophical interpretations of mathematics that we are being offered on every hand are wrong, and that 'philosophical interpretation' is just what mathematics doesn't need."

"well um your mum is what mathematicians don't need"

Make up your own logical fallacies, now! :monster:

Bunny
10-31-2008, 01:46 AM
Your mom is a logical fallacy now.

Tavrobel
10-31-2008, 01:50 AM
I am religious

Your face is religious!

Err, I mean, your mom is religious! Yeah. Go me. I insulted your mother. Now cower in fear before I say she wears combat boots or something lame like that.

Aerith's Knight
10-31-2008, 01:56 AM
"When philosophy discovers something wrong with science, sometimes science has to be changed — Russell's paradox comes to mind, as does Berkeley's attack on the actual infinitesimal — but more often it is philosophy that has to be changed. I do not think that the difficulties that philosophy finds with classical mathematics today are genuine difficulties; and I think that the philosophical interpretations of mathematics that we are being offered on every hand are wrong, and that 'philosophical interpretation' is just what mathematics doesn't need."

Hmmm, I agree. Although mathematics is becoming more abstract the further we progress own own development, it is still used to support nearly every science, from Physics to chemistry. Philosophy is not a science, however people would like to think so.

So they shouldn't complain.

Your mom shouldn't complain.

Denmark
10-31-2008, 02:04 AM
Your mom is not a science.

Nice
10-31-2008, 02:21 AM
Generally speaking society is or was ruled by men which means it is or was, a patriarchy. That's pretty much accepted and known. So let's say that women gaining the right to vote, become church leaders and other such examples show signs of society's growth from patriarchy. So now there is thought to be some ground of equality between the two groups(male and female). Therefore mothers (not just fathers) can be mathematics--teachers that is. :)

Meow
10-31-2008, 03:12 AM
the other night there was a group of dudes acting like retards with the newest fantom, which is like a 3700 dollar workstation

it took me three tries to get their attention so I was all "it's late and I'm tired and you guys need to stop"

dude was like "tell yo momma to stop"

Madame Adequate
10-31-2008, 04:06 AM
Argumentum ad strawmanum. Where you refute any and every argument with the claim that it is a strawman.

rubah
10-31-2008, 04:17 AM
strawhominem imho, milfy!

Mine would be the Goboean Paradox:
where even if you're right, you're GoBo and therefore wrong.

XxSephirothxX
10-31-2008, 04:46 AM
No you're a Raistlin.

Peegee
10-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Argumentum ad Peegee

When you write so much crap into a single post that nobody can possibly read it all and respond coherently. So you win by virtue of being the last person to post.

rubah
10-31-2008, 05:53 AM
I think that one already exists, peegies

Big D
10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Ad Homonem: angrily declaring the opponent to be homosexual, in the mistaken belief that this is somehow (a) insulting and (b) material to whether or not you win the debate.

Old Manus
10-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Add Hominem: Mocking your opponent's numeracy skills

Madame Adequate
10-31-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't know whether D or Manus just won harder, but both deserve medals.

Momiji
10-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Fad Hominem: Mocking or attacking someone just because everyone else is, so you do as well to fit in.

Vermachtnis
10-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Fac Paminem: Saying something when you have no idea what you are talking about

The Ceej
10-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Ad Homonem: angrily declaring the opponent to be homosexual, in the mistaken belief that this is somehow (a) insulting and (b) material to whether or not you win the debate.

That kind of argument is just gay.

Fad Hominem: Mocking or attacking someone just because everyone else is, so you do as well to fit in.

Yep. Yep, I've been the victim of that around here.

Momiji
10-31-2008, 06:53 PM

However, that's <!-- usually! --> when you display an excellent example of

The Ceej
10-31-2008, 07:03 PM

However, that's <!-- usually! --> when you display an excellent example of

If I cared enough, I'd go and search for every time it's happened, and I guarantee you I would have found at least twice as many examples of when I did know what I was talking about. But, that would cut into the time I set aside for my actual life, so we'll have to go without it.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot I had this tab (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ii/121053-dumb-frog-death.html#post2587175) open. Here's me not knowing what I was talking about, and asking people to correct me, yet no one ever did (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ii/121053-dumb-frog-death.html#post2587175). As far as the other stuff goes, I don't currently have the tabs open, and I don't feel like looking for them.

Momiji
10-31-2008, 07:09 PM
That's because no one cares about Final Fantasy II. :p

Old Manus
10-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Thread successfully derailed

The Ceej
10-31-2008, 07:37 PM
Then, since it was partially my fault, I'll help to get it back on track before I go:

Ad Daminum

And argument that just ends with you saying, "Yeah? Well, smurf you too."