PDA

View Full Version : Favorite year in gaming?

MadeOfApples
11-02-2008, 01:17 AM
What is your favorite year in gaming?

I'm a little torn between 1997 and 1998. While 1997 saw the release of Diablo, Castlevania SOTN, Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye 007, Fallout, Age of Empires, FFVII, Wild Arms, and Crash Bandicoot. It also had the redicioulus yet fun Parappa the Rapper. PaRappa the Rapper.

1998 saw my favorite game of all time (Final Fantasy Tactics), Zelda: OoT, Pokemon, Fallout 2, Crash Warped, Starcraft, and Magic Knight Rayearth.

It was a great time to be a kid :)

Aerith's Knight
11-02-2008, 01:39 AM
The year when Halo was released.

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/3/11/1/f_funm_a3309cf.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/11/1/f_funm_a3309cf.jpg&srv=img02)

Fun times..

JKTrix
11-02-2008, 01:42 AM
2008. Kinda funny how a chunk of the games you mentioned for '97 have related games 11 years later.

Realm25
11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Probably 1999, when I started really getting into Starcraft, and then in 2000 when I got hooked on Diablo 2 and tweaked out on it all day and night.

I'll always remember those times and those two games.

Slothy
11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
1994 had my favourite game of all time; FFVI. 1992 had me getting my first console; the SNES. 2007 had the Orange Box. I refuse to choose between any of these, though I should probably add 1998, 2001, 2004, and 2008 for the years MGS1-4 were released. It's easily my second favourite series of all time, and all of those games are still sitting right up there with the Half-Life series for game design in my eyes. I'll stop listing years there though since HL and HL2 are covered as well.

Markus. D
11-02-2008, 01:46 PM
2005-2008.

C_C!

Dreddz
11-02-2008, 04:13 PM
1999-2000 are by far my favorite years in gaming. If you couldn't tell those were the Dreamcast peak years. And Deus Ex was also released which opened my eyes to PC gaming.

Really?

Roto13
11-02-2008, 04:18 PM
*psst*

(He hasn't been gaming for that long, believe it or not. xP)

Rocket Edge
11-02-2008, 04:24 PM
1998 saw me being introduced to FFVIII. This is my answer.

Boney King
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM
1997-98. Because of:

- Final Fantasy VII
- completing Crash Bandicoot 3 and Spyro The Dragon 100% because they were awesome
- DAYS spent playing Tekken 3 with friends
- lots of demo CDs from magazines (which I never read)

Lionx
11-03-2008, 09:04 PM
1997, Klonoa was released and i was happy :) The game lead up to alot of fun times and opened me up to things irl that would have been different otherwise too.

If it wasnt for that i would say...1992? Thats when Street Fighter came out and changed the world for me. Opened me up to alot of good friends(some dont even play SF but wouldnt have known otherwise without it) and for that i am very happy. Not to mention the competitive bug bit me, its intense..and HYPE!

NeoCracker
11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
So many games scattered throught the years, how am I suppose to decide which year was great? I mean this year I've gotten Persona 3 FES, Mana Khemia, and the soon to be released Persona 4 and Valkeria.

SNES years had Earthbound, Lufia 2, Breath of Fire 2, FF VI and Chrono Trigger.

PS1 and 64 Era had FF IX, Dragoon, LEgaia, Zelda: OoT and MM/

I'ld go into more and later, but then I'd be dragging on. :p

In short, no way I could pick a favorite year.

Moon Rabbits
11-03-2008, 09:44 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/EarthBound_Box.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Chrono_Trigger.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Final_Fantasy_VI_Japanese_box.png
'94-'95

'91 was pretty good, too.

Nominus Experse
11-04-2008, 03:13 PM
1997 - 1998
FFVII, Ocarina of Time, etc..

Karellen
11-04-2008, 03:24 PM
2000 had Vagrant Story, Perfect Dark, Deus Ex, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate II, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The Longest Journey and a whole heap of other crap I don't really care about but were phenomenally successful like The Sims and Counter-Strike.

I mean, come on.

JKTrix
11-05-2008, 03:42 AM

Really?

*psst*

(He hasn't been gaming for that long, believe it or not. xP)

Sorta. I've been 'gaming' for a long time, but I didn't have any consoles between the NES and the GC :P though I had all the gameboys.

But yeah, part of my answer is because.... well, it's the most recent year, and I could play whatever I wanted that came out in the past :P It's an accumulative experience!

Really, there've just been a bunch of great games this year for me. My tastes are a bit more eclectic than most, particularly involving portable and imported games, so I'm not really going to list my games since few people here would know or care about 'em. So, combining my niche-y favourites with the big-name titles that most people know about makes this year pretty darn strong.

Nominus Experse
11-05-2008, 01:05 PM
2000 had Vagrant Story, Perfect Dark, Deus Ex, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate II, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The Longest Journey and a whole heap of other crap I don't really care about but were phenomenally successful like The Sims and Counter-Strike.

I mean, come on.
You've made a very valid observation that is persuasive. You've changed my viewpoint.

Dragonfire
11-06-2008, 07:00 AM
1997...... Final Fantasy 7 (made the FF series explode on the mainstream), the beginning of the Diablo series (served for a long time as one the most addictive forms of digital crack), and Castevania: SOTN (restored the Castlevania series to glory that it had not held since the NES)

Bolivar
11-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I really hated it when GameTrailers had 2007 as #1 on their list of years in gaming - I thought not only is it a lame cliche to put the current year as it, but there was no contest with other ones.

But I almost want to say 2008. GTAIV and MGS4 both blew my mind, within like 2 months of eachother. I've put crazy amounts of time into MGO, like going back to my Counter-Strike days. Resistance 2 promises to be insane. Little Big Planet is really going to change console gaming, and I like it a whole lot. Valkyria Chronicles also seems to be changing the SRPG genre from what I've been hearing. Not to mention the next Red Alert. I'll always remember that some of my favorite games of all time came out this year.

MadeOfApples
11-10-2008, 08:45 AM
I really hated it when GameTrailers had 2007 as #1 on their list of years in gaming - I thought not only is it a lame cliche to put the current year as it, but there was no contest with other ones.

But I almost want to say 2008. GTAIV and MGS4 both blew my mind, within like 2 months of eachother. I've put crazy amounts of time into MGO, like going back to my Counter-Strike days. Resistance 2 promises to be insane. Little Big Planet is really going to change console gaming, and I like it a whole lot. Valkyria Chronicles also seems to be changing the SRPG genre from what I've been hearing. Not to mention the next Red Alert. I'll always remember that some of my favorite games of all time came out this year.

Most gaming magazines and websites are very bias. They usually list games on their "best games" ever list that sold well and from what ever console they cover most.

I have a gaming magazine from 1996 that list only Nintendo and Sony games on their list of "Best ever". Don't get me wrong, they listed some great games but when you have 40% of the list filled with games from a console that came out 2 years ago, I call foul.

I take "best of" lists with a grain of salt. Unless its one from my friends. They have good tastes in games and list solely on experience/fun factor.

And you made me want to pick up a Playstation 3. Good job:)

Pete for President
11-10-2008, 09:38 AM

Totally agree on the MGS4 and LittleBigPlanet stuff! But still, my favorite year in gaming is either 1998 or 1999. MGS1, Tony Hawk's Skateboarding, Tenchu 1 or 2 were all awesome.

Madame Adequate
11-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Orange Box? Supreme Commander? C&C3: Tiberium Wars? Halo 3? Burning Crusade? Call of Duty 4? Assassin's Creed? BioShock? Civ 4: Beyond the Sword? Persona 3? Mass Effect?

2007 was holy skulls.

Bolivar
11-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Most gaming magazines and websites are very bias. They usually list games on their "best games" ever list that sold well and from what ever console they cover most.

I have a gaming magazine from 1996 that list only Nintendo and Sony games on their list of "Best ever". Don't get me wrong, they listed some great games but when you have 40% of the list filled with games from a console that came out 2 years ago, I call foul.

I take "best of" lists with a grain of salt. Unless its one from my friends. They have good tastes in games and list solely on experience/fun factor.

And you made me want to pick up a Playstation 3. Good job:)

Ha, yeah, agree on all that. Since RA3's been confirmed that PS3-development has resumed since I posted that, I guess that makes all the games I listed on that console. Also I've played Fallout 3 before this post and while I don't think I'll have time for it (this year and probably the next at least) it definately deserves to be listed alongside those. Although, I guess this all makes my post ironically exemplar of the bias you mentioned.

Imperfectionist
11-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Aaaaw nostagia time, guys!

I loved '97. I was only like 6 years old and I remember going to Toys-R-Us on my birthday and buying my first ever playstation :D

And I discovered FFVII and Klonoa and Rayman etc etc

And I think that might have been the same year that I got my N64 for Christmas as well and I played my first ever Mario game

Happy days :D