PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War 2

Psychotic
11-02-2008, 02:08 AM
It's coming out in a week's time. Who else is looking forward to it?

The campaign promises to be absolutely epic. If it's anywhere near as good as the last one, I'll be a happy man. Also there is a 5-player co-op mode called horde, where you and a gang of chums face off against, as the name suggests, an entire horde of Locust until you all eventually drop. So hey if anyone wants to form an EoFF mob for that mode, yeah, let's organise something I guess!

As for multiplayer, I loved it in the original Gears until I played Halo 3 and discovered the joy of the party/lobby system. Apparently Gears 2 has that, thank god, so that's already an improvement.

Oh, and you can ride on a Brumak. :cool:

LunarWeaver
11-02-2008, 02:11 AM
I am excited to shoot some more Locust in the face. I hope the team AI is as God awful as the first's so I can see my teammates throw grenades into nothing and then stand in the open going ":jess:"

I doubt I'll play online much, though. Especially not with strangers. The last time I played Gears of War with strangers I met this hyperactive British kid I couldn't understand. He liked me and added me to his friend's list and I've been scared of him ever since. Maybe I'm too dense American to grasp accents or something. I need these things in text. Hmm.

Aerith's Knight
11-02-2008, 02:13 AM
This is a game I've been looking out for since I finished GoW on insane thrice. Only I have exams 5 days after it is released. :(

Magixion
11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Psy, feel free to add me to your friend's list and I will do some Horde with you and a few others. I have been looking to find some people to play with as well. I cannot wait for this to come out. Ever since the few days after GoW 1 came out and I beat I have been waiting patiently.

Gamertag: Dea7hFromAbove

I will also be looking for co-op campaign partners if anyone is interested! :D

P.S. - (non-story or actual gameplay related spoiler) my friend "acquired" the game from a friend and I played through the first couple levels of campaign. Epic, truly epic. It does not disappoint.

Psychotic
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Sure, I'll add you tonight. You'll probably be able to tell it's me from the gamertag!

It amazes me how many games end up being..."acquired"...before the street date these days. ...and it annoys me that I'm not one of the lucky ones. :(

Aerith's Knight
11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Add me too. :D

It's either Heav3ns Angel or H3avens Angel :p

The Shoeless Hobo
11-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Not long now. :)

Magixion
11-06-2008, 03:34 PM
So, it is almost upon us. Who all is getting it at midnight?

Old Manus
11-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Gears of War more like GRAYS of War am i rite lol

Psychotic
11-06-2008, 07:09 PM
I never get games at midnight. That's a little too extreme for me!

I replayed this last night, and I only heard the quote from the thread title three times, so we can call that a victory of sorts. My initial plan of "run onto bridge, snipe Theron Guards" didn't go so well when the buggers rushed me with Torque Bows.

Also mmm Hammberburst you are a beautiful gun.

Moon Rabbits
11-06-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't have a 360, but the song in the commercial (How It Ends by DeVotchKa) is sooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

Psychotic
11-10-2008, 08:51 PM
See: Thread title. Let's get a time and a date set up!

Aerith's Knight
11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
I'll join, but I don't have time until next week.

Madame Adequate
11-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Gears 2 is badass.

Psychotic
11-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Currently taking a break from Wave 8 of Horde solo. Jesus. :| Ammo runs are the worst. I'm normally alright, holed up in my little base. I'm not great, but I'm alright. But when I run out of ammo, oh god, it's horrible...:( Also, the rhythmic vibrations that increase in strength which let you know a boomer/grinder/mauler/big fat guy who wants to eat you is approaching your position are pretty disconcerting. (EDIT: Also the way they cough and wheeze if you've injured them as they approach is pretty :eek: too)

AK I added you on XBL but it says you have a Silver account, so I dunno if you'd be able to play with us with that. I reckon Dan would be down for a Horde mode too so that's two at least.

Magixion
11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
I am so in. I have you on my list Psychotic but we have not been able to play yet! So, let me know when you want to do this and I will be down. I will be free during the evenings this entire week.

DK
11-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Yep, down.

Psychotic
11-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Awesome. Hux, are you up for this too?

Aerith's Knight
11-11-2008, 12:05 AM
AK I added you on XBL but it says you have a Silver account, so I dunno if you'd be able to play with us with that. I reckon Dan would be down for a Horde mode too so that's two at least.

I'm waiting to impliment my gold mode until I have the time to play.

Is horde easy to understand, or should I play 20-30 games before joining the team?

edczxcvbnm
11-11-2008, 12:18 AM
I am down. Just give me a time. I am okay at the game. I am prone to running around like a retard at times though. I am on level 14 of horde solo. It got easier past level 10 due to how horde mode works.

Craig
11-11-2008, 12:34 AM
im up for this.

oh wait i dont have the game.. cos im broke and i got the red ring of death!

Madame Adequate
11-11-2008, 12:38 AM

Totally. <3 you for making it to Wave 8 solo, btw!

Psychotic
11-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Is horde easy to understand, or should I play 20-30 games before joining the team?There's not much to understand really! Horde is simply wave after wave of Locust try to kill us.

Anyway if you don't have time this week, that's cool, we can play a bit this week and then join up with you next week.

I am down. Just give me a time. I am okay at the game. I am prone to running around like a retard at times though. I am on level 14 of horde solo. It got easier past level 10 due to how horde mode works.Yeah I just got to 14 solo actually...and as I made my run for ammo, the last smurfer, the very last smurfer, runs out and chainsaws me. :(

im up for this.

oh wait i dont have the game.. cos im broke and i got the red ring of death!:(

Totally. <3 you for making it to Wave 8 solo, btw!10 is the god damn hardest, man. Bloody bloodmounts!

How does 21-22 hours from now strike you all? I think I have everyone interested on my friends list, so just join up when you see me in Horde I guess.

edczxcvbnm
11-11-2008, 01:43 AM
I will be on more about 12am GMT. I don't get home from work until about that time unfortunately. If you are all still on at that time then I shall join on up.

Psychotic
11-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Yeah we'll probably be on around level 30 by then, all going well, so feel free to drop in for the fight to the finish. Pretty sure you only need to complete levels 10 and 50 for the achievements anyway.

Also, I love how people online think they can go round-for-round with my Hammerburst with their Lancer. Trust me, you can't. :laugh:

Magixion
11-11-2008, 04:37 AM
Sweet, can't wait. I will be ready to kill some fucking locust! God I love this game.

Psychotic
11-11-2008, 05:02 AM
Yeah it's gonna be good!

Does anyone have any map preferences? I was thinking somewhere urban like Day One or River. Plus they both have a couple of good Alamo-style last ditch defence spots you can run to when things get too insane. Which they will!

Madame Adequate
11-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Day One is glorious and gets my vote.

I should be around tomorrow. :cool: But not for awfully long, sadly, on account of having an early start Wednesday.

Absconditus_Oraculum
11-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Day One is glorious and gets my vote.

That one is awesome for horde. If you can get everyone to stay up on the balconies its pretty easy. With ammo so close (in between the cars, on one side at least), and everything having to come at you mostly one at a time, you don't have that much to worry about.

JKTrix
11-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Sounds fun, I'll join if there's a spot. What time? 'All day'?

Freya
11-11-2008, 07:48 AM
I just played this on my friends xbox.... I love it :D

Magixion
11-11-2008, 04:30 PM
I vote for Day One as well. I also really like Avalanche, though Avalanche can be pretty tough in some spots. And.. I call Dizzy! :p

Captain Maxx Power
11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
For the Horde!

Wait, what are we talking about?

Psychotic
11-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Going on XBL in a couple of mins so once we have three, I guess we'll start, and more can drop in.

EDIT: No-one online atm so I will play with some bots until you guys show up!

...unless you all stand me up and I am dateless and alone.

EDIT2: Dear EoFF, it is entirely your fault that I was chainsawed.

Hatefully yours,
Anthony Carmine.

Dan's MIA, Huxley was online (you're a bro :up:) but I guess he had to go to bed, and now I am dead!

I guess we'll postpone a day or two.

Magixion
11-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Oh, I was just about to get online to play as well. Damnit. Stupid college keeping me from playing gears!

Aerith's Knight
11-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Going on XBL in a couple of mins so once we have three, I guess we'll start, and more can drop in.

EDIT: No-one online atm so I will play with some bots until you guys show up!

...unless you all stand me up and I am dateless and alone.

EDIT2: Dear EoFF, it is entirely your fault that I was chainsawed.

Hatefully yours,
Anthony Carmine.

Dan's MIA, Huxley was online (you're a bro :up:) but I guess he had to go to bed, and now I am dead!

I guess we'll postpone a day or two.

I was online. :p

But I hadn't finsihed the story yet, plus hadn't activated gold. xD

Btw, my friends was playing on wave 38. Is that good?

Psychotic
11-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Actually the game is back on! Magixion, if you see this, get on XBL :D

Madame Adequate
11-12-2008, 12:33 AM
I couldn't invite you or join your game or ANYTHING so I was like "Fuck it, I'm too cool for school"

Psychotic
11-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Me, MILF, Magixion, Fonz, edczxcvbmn and with a cameo appearance from JKTrix got to level 24. Bloody hell, only halfway there. It has been awesome though!

FAO: Dan. Huxley plays as Baird. :bigsmile:

Madame Adequate
11-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Yeah that was awesome to the max!

And Baird = love.

Psychotic
11-12-2008, 05:54 AM
Me, edczxcvbnm and Magixion took it all the way to Level 50. My god that was epic. We also had good teamwork I think! I was using the sniper, ed had the Mulcher and Magixion had the Mortar and we were mixing it up to good effect. Loved it!

edczxcvbnm
11-12-2008, 06:15 AM
It was epic. Very epic. We had a ton of close calls but by slowly forming a strategy throughout it made things easy as pie. Then we attempted level 50 on insane difficulty...yeah...never again without at least 5 people. We all died practically instantly XD

I would recommend doing this on river. It is fairly easy on river due to the ability to filter everything towards one of the ends of the map.

Magixion
11-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Yesss the insane difficulty was... well, INSANE! I saw one bullet fly by and then was instantly downed. It truly was an epic event though, we need to get some more of these going whenever we can.

DK
11-12-2008, 07:41 PM
FAO: Dan. Huxley plays as Baird. :bigsmile:

hahahahhahahahahahahahahaggQHFKqlaygcWAISZFLC;qwabcQWZXVWS

Huxley, you're a ponce.

Also yeah, gutted I couldn't play it with you all but up to my eyeballs in Uni work among other things, so probably won't be able to get on for a good run until the weekend.

Psychotic
11-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I thought it especially amusing as you like to play as Baird's pimp.

Anyway yeah I'd be down for another round of Horde at the weekend. Maybe I'll do it as the other Carmine this time. Can't get enough of that helmetty goodness.

Aerith's Knight
11-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I bought my gold, so I'm down.

Madame Adequate
11-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Grats on Level 50, however, you are all wankers and Baird is massive win.

Psychotic
11-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Hammerburst smurfing rules. 60 kills in one Submission game, double anyone else's best efforts. My team still lost because the people online on Gears 2 are very stupid.

In one game I crawled past three of my team mates who all ignored me as I lay dying. If it was in the middle of a firefight, maybe that would be okay, but it sure as hell wasn't. Bastards. I made up for it in the last round, though. I was the VIP, and I ran right into the security lasers at the start of the round. :cool:

Aerith's Knight
11-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Anyone up for some insane campaign or horde later?

edczxcvbnm
11-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I will possibly be down. Depends on what is going on later tonight though. Quantum of Solace comes out today in the US and I might be seeing that tonight. If it isn't going down tonight then I am down.

Psychotic
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
I tried insane campaign but it literally takes three locust shots from a hammerburst to get you :laugh: Hardcore is bad enough. As for Horde, sure, if that failure Dan wants to play and isn't on Smackdown.

edczxcvbnm
11-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Hardcore wasn't that bad. I beat it on my own. The recommendation for insane on campaign is to have one person play on easy and one play on insane so that way the insane person can just sit back and not die every 10 seconds XD

Aerith's Knight
11-14-2008, 07:20 PM
So, what time are we doing this?

edczxcvbnm
11-14-2008, 11:18 PM
I am going to go see QoS tonight so I am probably out.

Psychotic
11-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah let's do this sometime tomorrow I guess. If Huxley, Magixion or whoever wants in, the more the merrier.

Aerith's Knight
11-15-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm at a concert tomorrow, so I may appear in (your) evening. Even so, I won't be able to play that long, maybe an hour or two.

Psychotic
11-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Me and AK are playing right now, so if anyone else wants in, get on XBL and message me!

EDIT: done

edczxcvbnm
12-01-2008, 08:00 AM
I just did level 50 with my friend(Rayne17) and let me tell you...it was a bitch with just 2 people XD We discovered new strategies to help make things a bit easier but it was still a pain in the ass all the way XP

We are now working on Insane difficulty online.

Psychotic
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Me and Noctiluca did it (well, we got to 25 before XBL fucked up!) with two people on Day One - I didn't fancy another four hours of River. :p It's a lot easier if you just wait up top, plus on the more difficult levels, plant a shield at the top of the stairs to stop them getting up to you.

LunarWeaver
12-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Our makeshift base was pretty hot http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif. I would have called it our sexy little womb if I talked through the headset. Then you would have gone silent wondering wtf I'm talking about. (There's a reason I don't talk during games!)

It was fun. The game is gone now for me. I wish I could have played with a full Horde game :( I need more Baird in my life.

Psychotic
12-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Sell your body to buy the game.

Madame Adequate
12-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I need more Baird in my life.

:bigsmile:

Psychotic
12-01-2008, 05:52 PM
As I said to Lunar, you two are soulmates, because you both love Baird and hate to talk.

...and you both love having your asses saved by the glorious hunk of man that is Carmine. :love:

Madame Adequate
12-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Can't deny, there's a lot of love for Carmine in my heart.

But what are you talking about, I talk LOADS!

Aerith's Knight
12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Carmine is just the best character you can be.

He makes you feel... expendable. xD

Hey guys, wanna shedule a game?

Psychotic
12-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Sure I'd be down for more Horde/Bot killing action. Not a fan of playing against real people though, as matchmaking takes waaaay too long for my liking.

edczxcvbnm
12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Me and Noctiluca did it (well, we got to 25 before XBL smurfed up!) with two people on Day One - I didn't fancy another four hours of River. :p It's a lot easier if you just wait up top, plus on the more difficult levels, plant a shield at the top of the stairs to stop them getting up to you.

We barricade ourselves in the shed on River. We used shields to keep the flow going 1 way. The only problem that we ever came across was of course, blood mounts.

I am not a fan of day 1 XP Just a big hole in the center preventing my movement >:(

Psychotic
12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
You think "damn that's pretty cool" until you see the video of it in action. Then you cringe. (http://hackaday.com/2008/12/01/real-life-lancer/)

DK
12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
ahahah, he actually has to saw with his hands to get through the crappy MDF fake wood, what the hell kind of http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifty chainsaw is that

Craig
12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
is the gow2 online community dead or what?

Aerith's Knight
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
ahahah, he actually has to saw with his hands to get through the crappy MDF fake wood, what the hell kind of :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty chainsaw is that

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/12/2/f_GoWm_f6c0466.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/12/2/f_GoWm_f6c0466.jpg&srv=img37)

Psychotic
12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I knew, as soon as I saw AK was the last poster in this thread, that we'd be seeing that comic!
is the gow2 online community dead or what?It's always been a bitch to find matches on there, but I think a lot of people are still playing it.

Aerith's Knight
12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Dang! I've become predictable.

edczxcvbnm
12-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I would play match making in GoW2 if I could find a match in a minute or 2 but when ever I have tried it takes forever and I am just not having any of that!

Psychotic
12-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Bots are more fun anyway. They don't mouth breathe into mics and scream "WHAT THE FUCK!" whenever they die.

Aerith's Knight
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
"ZOMG STUPID NOOB WHY U KILL ME?"

"YOU CAN'T USE THAT GUN, I DROPPED THAT!"

"HOW U MINE FOR FISH?"

"I R 1337. I WILL PWNZ U ALL LOL."

Madame Adequate
12-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Bots are more fun anyway. They don't mouth breathe into mics and scream "WHAT THE smurf!" whenever they die.

Yeah those sudden volume changes when people are screaming is annoying.

Psychotic
12-02-2008, 09:05 PM
And it's like they're legitimately confused about why they died when they went running in the open, chainsaw revved, at a bunch of people behind cover.

Tell you one thing about the bots, though. Just like with humans, they all rush for the sniper rifle!

Madame Adequate
12-02-2008, 09:15 PM
And it's like they're legitimately confused about why they died when they went running in the open, chainsaw revved, at a bunch of people behind cover.

tbf sometimes you DO die really goddamn fast in Gears. I mean you blatantly should expect it there but I have had instances where it's been redonk

Psychotic
12-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, you seriously do! One time I went into the sniper building on River because a guy on the other team was up there with said gun and I wanted to give him a shotgun flavoured suprise, and suddenly BOOM! Grenade trap! Took me by complete surprise. Did not expect it at all.

But I didn't then say "WHAT THE smurf THIS IS smurfING GAY THAT GUY IS CHEATING I'M REPORTING YOU TO MICROSOFT".

NEW POST HURRAY FOR MERGES:

Man I gotta tell you, the screenshots you can upload from this are much uglier than the ones you can get from Halo 3. Kind of ironic, as Gears 2 has better graphics.

Just look at Baird! (although obviously you'll want to look at Mr. Benjamin Carmine because he is beautiful, and, as the filename suggests, is going to get you)

These are bots playing. You can't actually take screenshots of yourself, I don't think. :(

Elite Lord Sigma
12-11-2008, 03:33 AM
I've got the game. I loved the campaign, and multiplayer is excellent when it works. Oh, and Horde is awesome. The only mode I don't like is Wingman, and that's mainly because the spawning is horribly placed.

Madame Adequate
12-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Finished a couple days ago. HAhahahaha what the smurf was that ending

"Okay we can beat the Locust by completely destroying our one and only refuge against them, a city of millions."
"http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif son better get some KRs in the air they can carry like 10 people each and we have Jacinto to evacuate"
"Yeah okay let's blow the place up!"
"http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif son just like the lightmass bomb it didn't work where the smurf do we live now why didn't you think of this before we destroyed the place"

Fun though, aside from those few places where I kept dying over and over, but that's not exactly new to gaming.