PDA

View Full Version : Epic quotes, which is your favorite?

Exdeath
11-03-2008, 09:05 PM
"I'll take a potato chip, AND EAT IT!"
-Yagami Light
That quote made Death Note the only series to make chips epic. How about your favorite quote? Was it funny, powerful, wise, or just plain epic? Discuss.

Cookie
11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Commence frantic googling for the best quote.

leader of mortals
11-03-2008, 09:38 PM
My brother sent me I think 20 of these, so here are my favorites...

'If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball
and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the
infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base.'
--Dave Barry

'I think that's how Chicago got started. Bunch of
people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime
and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough.
Let's go west.''
--Richard Jeni

'Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography.'
--Paul Rodriguez

'Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a
member of Congress.. But I repeat myself.'
--Mark Twain

Moon Rabbits
11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
"All I need to change the world is my platinum blond highlights, my lip gloss, and my mind." - Chris Crocker

Sergeant Hartman
11-03-2008, 09:55 PM
'Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.' Can't remember who said that one.

Psychotic
11-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Commence frantic googling for the best quote.I did that and the first result was "people always say how they hate to be "just friends" with the person they love, but in my eyes id rather have them as a friend then not have them in my life at all".

I feel kind of let down now.

Lynx
11-03-2008, 10:15 PM
-Yagami Light
That quote made Death Note the only series to make chips epic. How about your favorite quote? Was it funny, powerful, wise, or just plain epic? Discuss.

since you mentioned that one im going to have to agree that may have been the most epic chip eating quote ever. everything in that show was epic though even when he wrote names in the book he put more passion into that then any sword fight in any anime.

Rantz
11-03-2008, 10:46 PM
I wish I was where I was when I was wishing I was here.

Balzac
11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
[18:23:28] ~Roogle> The Month Old Trick or Treater
[18:25:29] ~balzac> I'm going to punch him in the weiner
[18:26:04] ~Jibril> in the weiner
[18:26:13] ~o_O> in the weiner
[18:26:48] ~Roogle> in the weiner

ljkkjlcm9
11-03-2008, 10:48 PM
well firstly,
"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just 2 sides holding different views."
Squall FFVIII

Nietzsche
"He who has a why to live for can bear for almost any how."
Affectus qui passio est, desinit esse passio simulatque eius claram et distinctam fomanmus ideam emotion, which is suffering, ceases to be suffering as soon as we form a clear and precise picture of it

Fry (futurama): Don't worry, not everyone turns out like their parents. Take me for example, my parents were honest, hardworking people.

then some random ones
I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top

Of course I have my own agenda... what other reason is there to do anything?

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth- more than ruin, more even than death
~Bertand Russell, "Selected Papers"

be braver, you can't cross a chasm in two small jumps

All men are mortal, Socrates was mortal, therefore all men are Socrates!

It does not matter if you fall down as long as you pick something from the floor when you get up

Murphy's Eigth Law
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously over looked something

The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is you know when to cringe

Matter cannot be created or destroyed nor can it be returned without a receipt

Conway's Law:
In any organization, there will always be one person who knows what is going on. This person must be fired.

Assuming that either the left wing or the right wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Do to the other fellow as he would do unto you. But for God’s sake do it first!

It’s not an optical illusion it just looks like it

People need good lies; there are too many bad ones.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are all shameless lies
Don’t tell big lies, small lies can be just as effective

Great leaders are so rare, so I’m following myself

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong
Yes, but every time I try to see things your way, I get a headache.

If you sit down at a poker game and don’t see a sucker, get up. You’re the sucker

I don't have a solution... but I certainly admire the problem.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

And of course my new favorite....(In my signature)

THE JACKEL

Roto13
11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Always do what you want and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Doctor Seuss

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Douglas Adams

For Children: You will need to know the difference between Friday and a fried egg. It's quite a simple difference, but an important one. Friday comes at the end of the week, whereas a fried egg comes out of a chicken. Like most things, of course, it isn't quite that simple. The fried egg isn't properly a fried egg until it's been put in a frying pan and fried. This is something you wouldn't do to a Friday, of course, though you might do it on a Friday. You can also fry eggs on a Thursday, if you like, or on a cooker. It's all rather complicated, but it makes a kind of sense if you think about it for a while. ~ Douglas Adams

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others. ~ Douglas Adams

My favourite piece of information is that Branwell Brontë, brother of Emily and Charlotte, died standing up leaning against a mantelpiece, in order to prove it could be done. This is not quite true, in fact. My absolute favourite piece of information is the fact that young sloths are so inept that they frequently grab their own arms and legs instead of tree limbs, and fall out of trees. ~ Douglas Adams

Aerith's Knight
11-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Those who want to be in a position of power, automatically are the most unsuited to be so. ~Douglas Adams

Magixion
11-03-2008, 11:47 PM
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty.
-Amarant Coral - FFIX

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."

"You're never beaten until you admit it."

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom."
- General Patton

Madame Adequate
11-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Human groupings have one main purpose: to assert everyone's right to be different, to be special, to think, feel, and live in his or her own way. People join together in order to win or defend this right. But this is where a terrible, fateful error is born: the belief that these groupings in the name of a race, a God, a party or a State are the very purpose of life and not simply a means to an end. No! The only true and lasting meaning of the struggle for life lies in the individual, in his modest peculiarities and in his right to those peculiarities.

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.

Akaria
11-04-2008, 12:11 AM
/promptly decides to copy/paste Facebook quotes...

Me - "You should go transparent, that's what I use!.....Wait, what are you guys talking about?"
Kendra - ".....Underwear."
Me - "...Oh..."

"Nothing worth having is painless. You remember that."
- Bryan

Me - "IT'S MY MONEY AND I NEED IT NOW!! Haha...Oh people in debt."
Araciel - "OMG. JG Wentworth!!!"

"My milkshake has yet to bring a single boy to the yard. Unless we're talking about someone else's yard. I hope I'm not unintentionally bringing all the boys to someone else's yard with my milkshake, because the yard owner would probably be most distraught."
- Rantzien

"Romantic people have bottles of wine. Hardcore people have bottles of vodka."
- Me and my buddy Adam...It's truth.

"That child is unattended. Let's steal it."
- Adam

"I like you too much to hit you with fruit."
- Adam

"It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything."
- Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

Yes, I have quotes from EoFF. What of it?

Nice
11-04-2008, 01:33 AM
"There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her not to be alive anymore." -- Stewie

Peter: (Walks out of the bathroom and wanders into another room. He walks into the room and walks behind the bed. We find out that this is Chris' room.) Hey, you still awake, Lois honey? (Peter lays down into Chris' bed.)
Chris: Dad?
Peter: That's right, I'm your daddy. Shh, Shh, Shh, Shh. Don't talk, Lois, don't talk. Just let me do all the work. Yeah...now feel my warm breath on the nape of your neck. My hands on your big soft boobs...running down your big man-like chest. (Peter jumps up.) Holy crap, It's Chris!! Uhh...Uhh...So, uhh...How ya doin'? You do all your homework?
Chris: (nods his head.)
Peter: Finish all your subjects?
Chris: Yes, sir.
Peter: Good, just uhh, just checkin'. (Backs towards the door.) Have a good night son. (Walks down the hall.)
Peter: You still awake honey?
Stewie: What the deuce?

[Brock Samson has torn off an animated statue's arm and is now beating him with it]
Hank Venture: Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!

Edit ~ Btw the potato chip scene from Death Note was hilarious. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoy1QKxGQs&feature=related)

Citizen Bleys
11-04-2008, 05:08 AM
Stephen R Donaldson writes a lot of awesome quotes:

"Dreams never forgive" ~Thomas Covenant

"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" ~Thomas Covenant

"There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken" ~Thomas Covenant

"When you've tried all the salves in the world and they don't work, you start thinking about fire" ~Thomas Covenant

"This is the grace that has been given to you--to bear what must be borne" ~Ak-haru Kenaustin Ardenol

Vermachtnis
11-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Chris: I can't believe you choked on an M&M.
Andrew: That's why you don't run with food in mouth.
Me: So that's why you don't run with scissors.
Chris: Huh?
Me: You don't wanna choke on scissors.

"It's not cute, so I don't care." ~ Pamela

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. " ~ Dunno, attributed to Dr. Seuss sometimes.

Citizen Bleys
11-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Conversation with Unne:
Citizen Bleys: We had a frontline agent download himself a virus.
Citizen Bleys: We told him, "If you're running XP, you should have some kind of antivirus program."
Citizen Bleys: so he went on KaZaA and searched for "virus program"
Citizen Bleys: and downloaded the first thing that came up
Citizen Bleys: Can you say "IT Darwin Award?"
Unne: Don't make me cry.
Citizen Bleys: Just think, old people call this man for computer help.
Unne: OK I'm crying, thanks a lot.

-- later --
Unne: If I had a choice of another call center job or being a horse rectum inspector, I'd gladly take the rectums.

I Took the Red Pill
11-04-2008, 07:02 AM
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - Henry David Thoreau

"The priests of the different religious sects dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight, and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subdivision of the duperies on which they live." - Thomas Jefferson

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky" - Buddha

Mittopotahis
11-04-2008, 07:17 AM
I like the quotes Roto said. =)

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill

"Carve you blessings in stone. Write your sorrows in the sand." - I dunno.

Blue Harvest
11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
There's this one from Maxx:

Everyone knows that all the guys on this forum must act super gay towards each other constantly and never, ever engage in anything remotely sexual with female members unless they've sufficiently harassed them on MSN for several months.

And this is by far the funniest thing I've heard for a while:

If a tree falls in the forest, and I'm not there, and it makes a sound, but I don't hear it, but someone records it and plays it to me at a dinner party, does that mean I'm still in the forest? And if I am, then why can't I take a piss in the garden instead of queuing for the toilet? And that's if the toilet even exists I've been trying to use it all fucking night. I'm starting to doubt the existence of the toilet quite frankly at this stage in the proceedings ~ Dean Learner (Richard Ayoade)

Bunny
11-04-2008, 03:55 PM
"I tire so of hearing people say,
‘Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.’
I do not need my freedom when I’m dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow’s bread." ~ Langston Hughes

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing." ~ Oscar Wilde

"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" ~ Ernest Hemingway

Rye
11-04-2008, 04:21 PM
"One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered."

This is one of my favorite quotes, because my biggest fear in the world is to lose my dignity while I am alive.

NeoTifa
11-04-2008, 06:09 PM
"i did not have sexual relations with that woman, monica lewinsky"

Værn
11-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Is it dead?

Jessweeee♪
11-05-2008, 05:56 PM
-Yagami Light

Yes, the English dub made me laugh so much xD
I also liked the "I just wanted to tell you IamL." line.

The Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow silloquy from Macbeth was pretty neat...there's also countless GLaDOS quotes I could list here (one of my favorites is "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE").

Momiji
11-05-2008, 07:06 PM
...there's also countless GLaDOS quotes I could list here (one of my favorites is "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE").

"I'd just like to point out that you were given every opportunity to succeed. There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend, the companion cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either because you don't have any other friends. Because of how unlikable you are. It says so here in your personnel file: Unlikable. Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikable loner whose passing shall not be mourned. 'Shall not be mourned.' That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you were adopted. So that's funny, too."

MadeOfApples
11-05-2008, 07:14 PM
"How's this for a headline? 'French Fries'" - James French's famous last words before being executed by electric chair.

And of course.

Princess Leia: "I love you."
Han Solo: "I know."

"This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry." - Spinal Tap

Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported. - David St. Hubbins (From Spinal Tap)

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-05-2008, 08:40 PM
"The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago... had they happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands." -Henry Ellis

"Ideen sind zollfrei" ("Ideas cannot be kept out by the imposition of tariffs.") -Bismarck

"Because I do it with one small ship, I am called a terrorist. You do it with a whole fleet and are called an emperor." -a pirate from St. Augustine's City of God

"Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are dyed red with innocent blood." -Gandhi

"Dance as though no one is watching
Love as though you've never been hurt
Sing as though no one can hear you
Live as though heaven is on earth."
-Alfred D'Souza

Dolentrean
11-05-2008, 10:06 PM
"When you've done things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all" -God (Futurama)

"God is a comedian playing to a audience to afraid to laugh" - Voltaire

"'Once in a while you get shown in the light - In the strangest of places if you look at it right" - Robert Hunter (Scarlet Begonias)

"When you're a little kid you're a bit of everything; Scientist, Philosopher, Artist. Sometimes it seems like growing up is giving these things up one at a time."
-Kevin Arnold

Bryce - "Don't be evil!"
Me - "No, Occasionally be evil!"

The Unknown Guru
11-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Pretty much anything Nietzsche ever wrote. My favorites:

"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

"Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions."

"In heaven, all the interesting people are missing."

"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star."

"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy."

"The doer alone learneth."

Jessweeee♪
11-05-2008, 11:48 PM
...there's also countless GLaDOS quotes I could list here (one of my favorites is "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE").

"I'd just like to point out that you were given every opportunity to succeed. There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend, the companion cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either because you don't have any other friends. Because of how unlikable you are. It says so here in your personnel file: Unlikable. Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikable loner whose passing shall not be mourned. 'Shall not be mourned.' That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you were adopted. So that's funny, too."

"One 18.25 ounce package chocolate cake mix. One can prepared coconut pecan frosting. Three slash four cup vegetable oil. Four large eggs. One cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. Three slash four cups butter or margarine. One and two third cups granulated sugar. Two cups all purpose flour. Don't forget garnishes such as: Fish shaped crackers. Fish shaped candies. Fish shaped solid waste. Fish shaped dirt. Fish shaped ethyl benzene. Pull and peel licorice. Fish shaped volatile organic compounds and sediment shaped sediment. Candy coated peanut butter pieces. Shaped like fish. One cup lemon juice. Alpha resins. Unsaturated polyester resins. Fiberglass surface resins. And volatile malted milk impoundments. Nine large egg yolks. Twelve medium geosynthetic membranes. One cup granulated sugar. An entry called 'how to kill someone with your bare hands.' Two cups rhubarb, sliced. Two slash three cups granulated rhubarb. One tablespoon all-purpose rhubarb. One teaspoon grated orange rhubarb. Three tablespoons rhubarb, on fire. One large rhubarb. One cross borehole electro-magnetic imaging rhubarb. Two tablespoons rhubarb juice. Adjustable aluminum head positioner. Slaughter electric needle injector. Cordless electric needle injector. Injector needle driver. Injector needle gun. Cranial caps. And it contains proven preservatives, deep penetration agents, and gas and odor control chemicals. That will deodorize and preserve putrid tissue."

I am glad that cake was a lie.

Momiji
11-06-2008, 12:07 AM

"One 18.25 ounce package chocolate cake mix. One can prepared coconut pecan frosting. Three slash four cup vegetable oil. Four large eggs. One cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. Three slash four cups butter or margarine. One and two third cups granulated sugar. Two cups all purpose flour. Don't forget garnishes such as: Fish shaped crackers. Fish shaped candies. Fish shaped solid waste. Fish shaped dirt. Fish shaped ethyl benzene. Pull and peel licorice. Fish shaped volatile organic compounds and sediment shaped sediment. Candy coated peanut butter pieces. Shaped like fish. One cup lemon juice. Alpha resins. Unsaturated polyester resins. Fiberglass surface resins. And volatile malted milk impoundments. Nine large egg yolks. Twelve medium geosynthetic membranes. One cup granulated sugar. An entry called 'how to kill someone with your bare hands.' Two cups rhubarb, sliced. Two slash three cups granulated rhubarb. One tablespoon all-purpose rhubarb. One teaspoon grated orange rhubarb. Three tablespoons rhubarb, on fire. One large rhubarb. One cross borehole electro-magnetic imaging rhubarb. Two tablespoons rhubarb juice. Adjustable aluminum head positioner. Slaughter electric needle injector. Cordless electric needle injector. Injector needle driver. Injector needle gun. Cranial caps. And it contains proven preservatives, deep penetration agents, and gas and odor control chemicals. That will deodorize and preserve putrid tissue."

I am glad that cake was a lie.

No it isn't! You see it when you beat the game. ;p

Yar
11-06-2008, 12:14 AM
All of the quotes that I found to be inspirational are great and unique. Problem is, I can't remember them. PG told me a Nietzche one that I liked once.

Aerith's Knight
11-06-2008, 12:15 AM
"Threads that mention dinosaurs are strictly prohibited." - insane mental patient Psychotic.

A legend in the making. :)

I almost feel like drawing another piggy in boots. >_>

Exdeath
11-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah, seriously, dinosaurs? I never read that in the rules....

Værn
11-06-2008, 12:19 AM

I am GLaD that cake was a lie.(Fixed)

But the cake wasn't a lie. I baked it myself! Also, you see it in a storage room during the cutscene right before the credits, along with the Companion Cube and what appear to be shelves full of backup GLaDOS units.

*Insert catchy ending credits song here as epic quote of awesomeness*

EDIT: One of the many reasons that I hate phones is because four people apparently posted while I was distracted from posting my reply.

Lawr
11-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any.
Mark Twain

You ought never to "sass" old people- unless they "sass" you first.
Mark Twain

We despise all reverences and all the objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our own list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency, we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us.
Mark Twain

From the time a woman is seven years old till she dies of old age, she is ready for action, and competent. As competent as the candlestick to receive the candle. But man is only briefly competent:...After fifty his performance is of poor quality; the intervals between are wide, and its satisfactions of no great quality to either party; whereas his great-grandmother is as good as new.
Mark Twain

and here's a funny(er) one:

If a person offends you, and you are in doubt as to whether it was intentional or not, do not resort to extreme measure; simply watch your chance and hit him with a brick. That will be sufficient. If you shall find that he had not intended any offense, come out frankly and confess yourself in the wrong when you struck him; acknowledge it like a man, and say you didn't mean to.
Mark Twain

Exdeath
11-06-2008, 01:08 AM
^^When you can be charged with assault and battery for throwing a brick at somebody, I wouldn't follow that advice.

Lawr
11-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Your defense in court could be "I didn't mean to!" or, "But Mark Twain ... :sad:"

Markus. D
11-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Anything from the IT Crowd xD

NeoTifa
11-06-2008, 02:03 PM
"Ughh!... *blurple spit groans*" -Aeris when she dies

qwertysaur
11-06-2008, 02:16 PM

:D
The Appature Science testing center would like to remind you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you, and in fact, cannot speak.

"...Contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your record. Followed by Death."

Also the turrets sound so cute ^_^

"Are you still there? Nap time."

Momiji
11-06-2008, 02:19 PM
"Are you still there?"
"I see you!"
"Ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow!"
"I don't blame you..."

Araciel
11-06-2008, 02:25 PM
"Will I ever get to where I'm going? If I do, will I know when I'm there?"

Barndon Boyd (Incubus song lyric)

Vermachtnis
11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
"I don't blame you..."

Did that make anyone else feel as bad as it made me when they said that :(

Also,

"That thing you burned up isn't important to me. It's the fluid catalytic cracking unit. It made shoes for orphans. Nice job breaking it, hero."

crazybayman
11-06-2008, 07:05 PM
"Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony. "
-Morpheus, The Matrix

Jessweeee♪
11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
I have to play Portal again and find this toilet.

ShunNakamura
11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Well I'll quote TVTropes just for the heck of it!

He's Big, he's Bad, and he's grittier than a cement mixer. He can punch holes through steel walls. He can scare the bejezuz out of Cosmic Horrors just by glaring at them. He can kick Chuck Norris's ass blindfolded. He drives a hot pink VW beetle and takes ballet lessons on Wednesdays... Wait, what?

GO PINK!

Jessweeee♪
11-07-2008, 10:50 PM
tee hee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0VY7Yg2w)