PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Genres You Don't Like

Evastio
11-04-2008, 02:37 AM
So what gaming genres don't you like?

The only one I can think of is sports. That's probably because I suck at them in real life and never really enjoyed them because of that.

I'm kind of suprised that a lot of people don't like racing games though. I mean, they're so fun and thrilling.

Yar
11-04-2008, 02:44 AM
FPS's. I would say sports as well, but my copy of NHL 09 is too warm to make that statement legit. :D

ljkkjlcm9
11-04-2008, 02:45 AM
I think for any category, there are exceptions for me.
For instance thinking of the categories I don't usually play:
Sports: Mario Tennis, NFL Blitz, 1080
Racing: F-zero, Destruction Derby
Fighting: Smash Bros, Soul Calibur

I generally have a healthy mix of Action, RPG, FPS, Strategy, Adventure, and Puzzle games.

THE JACKEL

Karellen
11-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Real time strategy games, racing games that don't involve weapons, most first person/third person shooters, most espionage games, sim games and sandbox games. I also don't actively seek out fighting games but will play them if I need something to play with other people.

Roto13
11-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Pretty much just sports games. I think people don't like them because they don't change very much.

I also don't like realistic racing games. I suck at most racing games, but I enjoy playing them if they're not too realistic. :P

Madame Adequate
11-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Realistic racing games.

Quiz games.

rubah
11-04-2008, 03:09 AM
I don't like fpses because I'm terrible at them ^_^

qwertysaur
11-04-2008, 03:20 AM
I don't like FPS's, sports and racing games. But I'll give most games a chance before pretending they don't exist :p

NeoCracker
11-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Only Racing games I really enjoyed were Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing. :p

And while I hate Sports games too, Mario STrikers and NFL Blitz 2000 FTW!

Momiji
11-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Sports games and pretty much every game based on a movie.

Bunny
11-04-2008, 03:58 AM
I categorize games into two different genres for efficiency and ease. I refer to these genres as "Bad Things" and "Good Things" and dislike anything belonging to the former.

Using complicated and outdated genrefication, I typically do not enjoy platform, sports and console fps games.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-04-2008, 04:09 AM
Console FPSs, though not a big fan of the genre at all. Sports games though for some reason I always had fun playing snowboarding games. O-o;

Vermachtnis
11-04-2008, 04:23 AM
Pretty much just sports games. I think people don't like them because they don't change very much.

I also don't like realistic racing games. I suck at most racing games, but I enjoy playing them if they're not too realistic. :P

Pretty much my sentiments. I drive realistically all the time in the real world. It'd be more enjoyable if I could use a Blue Shell now and again.

MadeOfApples
11-04-2008, 04:39 AM
And here we go...

Vehicle simulation (Flight, Racing, and everything in between), All non-city building simulation games, Social Simulation, Massive Online Multiplayer RPGs, Interactive novels/movies, Music (Yes, I hate guitar hero), Excercise games, Adult games, Those I-spy games, Turned based tactial games, Maze puzzle games, Sports (Excluding Golf and Skateboarding),

The following are genre's I depsite in one player mode:
First person (or third person) team based shooter games. (IE Socom, Rainbow Six).

If you want to know the truth, I rarely pick up anything besides RTS and RPGs. Unless they're old Platformer or adventure games.

Shoeberto
11-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Sports, RTS and generic JRPGs.

It's not necessarily some hard defined rule but for the most part I take a pass on most of those when offered.

blackmage_nuke
11-04-2008, 10:03 AM
First Person Shooters, theyre fun and all but for some reason they give me headaches and abit of nausea.

Sports games are also pretty dull to me, and most fighting games except street fighter.\

MMOPRG's arent really my cup of tea either but they can be fun for a while.

Jiro
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't really dislike any genres. Though I rarely play sports, sim, anything online, fighters or puzzle. I try to keep a healthy mix though :)

o_O
11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I can't stand any sim games (The Sims, Simcity, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Theme Hospital, etc.) or strategy games (C&C, Warcraft, Starcraft, etc.). :p

Brennan
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't really play Racing and Sports games.

I do play some games with the genre from time to time, though.

Dreddz
11-04-2008, 02:39 PM
I can enjoy every genre if its the right game. Although FPS's and TPS's I'm generally pretty picky on as half the time they bore the hell out of me.

DK
11-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Only really survival horror games and strategy games for me, although I still absolutely adore Alpha Centuri. Not really a fan of Tactics games either, though there are a few exceptions.

JKTrix
11-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Sports games are the only genre that I would actively avoid, unless I see something pretty unique about the games. There have been soccer games on the DS and the Wii that did things differently and exceptionally well and I enjoyed them immensely.

Wolf Kanno
11-05-2008, 05:28 AM
MMOs - I do not play well with others, lack of strong objective bores me.

Sports - I prefer actually playing Hockey and soccer than playing the boring game form. Most remind me of why I don't watch sports to begin with.

FPS - I might change my mind if I ever decide to break down and return to playing games on my PC (I just don't view it as a gaming platform anymore) as my main issue with FPS games are the wonky controller schemes. They make something as simple as adjusting to aim and firing fairly complicated when its very easy in real life. I also hate the stagnation of the genre as it has very little variety.

Beyond that, I actually enjoy most type of games and despite not liking the three stated genres, I do play them from time to time and occasionally enjoy myself.

Big D
11-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Real-time strategy. I love the concept, but I've never really got into one, aside from Populous back in the day. Maybe if I could try a few more... but I don't like the idea of buying something without knowing how I'll like it, and EA's free version of Red Alert 2 is made of failure and requires geekery and hax in order to make it work.

Yuffie514
11-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Strategy:
Tend to dislike because I know I don't have enough persistence to keep on trying.

Sport:
I avoid all of them.

Music/Steps:
Something good to display my musical flaws in public.

Girly:
I don't even know what genre to put it in. I just won't pay any attention to games centered around female celebrities like Hannah Montana.

Markus. D
11-05-2008, 05:41 AM
I'd say sports.

Not my thing.

Big D
11-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Music/Steps:
Something good to display my musical flaws in public. That too... I tried to get into Singstar when my flatmates rented a set for a while, but lost interest really fast. Frustrating and unentertaining, also a really counter-intuitive interface for a musician.

Zeldy
11-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Sport games, games based on movies, horror.. and ones similar to WoW and the like. I geuss I don't really like FPS either, I've only ever played Halo once :3

Jessweeee♪
11-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Sports and FPSs mostly. I mean how the fuck am I supposed to jump or walk right up to the edge without falling if I can't see my feet?

Værn
11-06-2008, 12:55 AM
I hate the concept of sports games. If I have an irresistible urge to play sports I'll go outside.

Roogle
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I strongly dislike Western role-playing games.

Mo-Nercy
11-10-2008, 07:52 AM
I would say FPS, but I recently played F.E.A.R and loved it. But maybe that's just because I like survival horror. I liked C&C Renegade way back when I was in high school and going to internet cafes with my mates during free periods. But maybe that's just because I'm a fan on the C&C storyline and I liked the fan service Renegade provided.

I suppose my dislike of the FPS genre really comes down to the more established, 'pro' ones like Counter-Strike. Man, I used to suck at that. I hate sucking.

I don't hate sports games, as I generally like watching most sports, but I avoid buying them for the simple fact that I know I'll just be tempted to buy it again next year and the year after that. I don't want to get stuck in that cycle of throwing away money just to see a few players wearing different coloured shirts.

Iceglow
11-10-2008, 09:28 AM
I hate wrestling and sport simulators excepting Tony Hawks, Matt Hoffman's, Dave Mirra's (heck cause it's built on the same engine as Dave Mirra's BMXXX can be added to this list) I like them because they're often fun and wildly exaggerrated, if I wanna play rugby or football I can go down a park with some friends and get some fresh air and excercise too.

I like realistic racing games, but then I also like Ridge Racer which is in no way realistic in terms of handling.

Flight simulators such as Microsoft Flight Simulator X have no love from me, I just don't see the appeal wheras the combat flight simulator games such as Colony Wars (would love to see a new 360 or ps3 title in the series, just because red sun kinda ended the storyline doesn't mean there isn't more depth to the story) and Ace Combat or even Drop Ship I have enjoyed massively and would play any or all of them again.

I tend to enjoy FPS games, I'm not fantastic at them compared to some people like Psy and Dan but I am pretty fair play in most scenario's and give me a sniper rifle and a good perch and I can take out most people no matter who they are.

Loony BoB
11-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Music games and MMO's tend to suck for me.

darkchrono
11-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Lol, you know this is an RPG based website when virtually every person states sports as the genre they don't like.

If you understand the sport and know the rules alot of the games are alot of fun (if they are decently made) and they actually are pretty deep.

They have franchises (and dynasties for college) set-up to where you can go through many many different seasons and rebuild your team as players leave or retire or graduate. Then for the pro games you can trade players. So basically over time your dynasty or franchise becomes formed around the actions you took throughout (which basically kind of turns into your very own role playing game).

And if you get bored with that you can always go online and play people if you are good enough at it (but you have to be pretty darn good at the game in order to win games online).

escobert
11-12-2008, 01:50 AM
Fighting games are just bleh for me. Except Soul Caliber 2 :p

Laddy
11-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Sports and Racing. Any shallow Action game or FPS's w/ lots of gore.

Shiny
11-12-2008, 02:53 AM
The worse by far are games featuring Nsync, Spice Girls and any other musician as playable characters.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
11-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Hmm... Sports games...And I'm not a big fan of brawler games, unless the character designs suit my interest.

I don't hate them... I just don't like to play them. >.>;

darkchrono
11-12-2008, 03:29 AM
Liking sports games can help you make money. For instance they have Madden tournaments set up that you can enter and so many people will get cash prizes if they finish high enough.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
11-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Actually, I think they do that with music games too. (DDR and such). Kinda cool, huh?

Imperfectionist
11-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Only Racing games I really enjoyed were Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing. :p

Saaaame.

I hate sports games as well, they bore the crap out of me. And I know first person shooters and stuff are quite popular but I can't stand them. I'm just not good at them at all, I don't know why.

FiNalDeSire
11-14-2008, 04:54 PM
I dislike all racing games, all sports games, and most FPS games.

NeoTifa
11-14-2008, 05:20 PM
sports, and whatever gta is in

Depression Moon
11-14-2008, 05:25 PM
So what gaming genres don't you like?

The only one I can think of is sports. That's probably because I suck at them in real life and never really enjoyed them because of that.

I'm kind of suprised that a lot of people don't like racing games though. I mean, they're so fun and thrilling.

I like racing too, but I think they can tend to get old quickly. There's really no genre that I don't like, but there's one I can't really like either and that's Strategy because I really never played many because most of them are PC games and I don't have a PC at home.

darkchrono
11-19-2008, 02:44 AM
What is funny about the responses in this thread is that if you went to a forum dedicated to sports video games they all would say that rpg's or adventure games are crap.

Just shows that you generally like what you are good at or know alot about and in general most people who are into sports are not into the old style adventure game type of thing where you fight monsters and save princess's (which is the concept that most rpg's are based around). While at the same time it seems most people who are into rpg's are not into the world of sports and therefore aren't going to like sports games.

MadeOfApples
11-19-2008, 03:29 AM
sports, and whatever gta is in

:)

I was starting to think I was the only one who didn't like the Grand Theft Auto series.

TyphoonThaReapa
11-19-2008, 05:37 AM
Lol, it's not a surprise people here doesn't like sports games. And it's vise versa for people who like sports games to dislike RPGs. Everyone has they're reasons and everyone should respect each others choices and opinions no matter how bias they maybe. Because at the end of the day, there just games made for entertainment. Plan and simple.

Now, I share the same dislikes with sports games as most of the people here. I feel that they don't necessarily change even with time. I just don't like the realistic factor of the games and I don't play games for TOO MUCH realism when it comes to our reality and a video game's reality. And I know that some sports games fans have such an offending view of RPGs saying they're gay and things of that nature. But I don't entertain stupidity. Now, I will most definitely play sports games like NFL Blitz, and NBA Streets. I even like some skateboarding games like Tony Hawk. As long as it has some unrealistic aspect like fired up basketballs or a some guy shacking a QB into acoma, I'm good...:cool:

sharkythesharkdogg
11-19-2008, 03:22 PM
To copy and past every post of every person to have gone before me, I hate sports games. It's the only genre I know of where I can go outside and do the exact same damn thing! Plus, it will be more fun that way!

MMORPGs. There's not enough progression. You can't call it an RPG, in my opinion, with out more story to go on. It's like a whole RPG made up of side quests. I want story advancement.

FPSs. Sure they've progressed, but every time I play one I think to myself "I really miss Doom." They haven't changed enough to me.

And Barbie Shopping Mall. What is that, like a side-scroller? My cousin had it when we were little and when I came over that's all she'd ever want to play.

Markus. D
11-19-2008, 06:43 PM
MMORPGs. There's not enough progression. You can't call it an RPG, in my opinion, with out more story to go on. It's like a whole RPG made up of side quests. I want story advancement.

Kormir would LOVE your help at the moment.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/kodakumifan/nightfall-se.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/kodakumifan/?action=view&current=nightfall-se.jpg)

That one thar, should change your stance on MMORPGs, at least GW o_o;

You have story progression, cutscenes, character development (Kormir is amazing), people who join your party (like in run of the mill RPGs) and also a pretty amazing battle system dealy.

darkchrono
11-20-2008, 01:19 AM
I like playing the E.A. sports college football series. I could care less about playing it online because I don't have any desire to practice on it or play it enough to where I would become good enough to beat alot of people online.

What I like about it is the dynasty mode. The dynasty mode is set up to where you can play up to 60+ seasons I believe and after each season your seniors will graduate and you will have to recruit highschool seniors to come to your school. So overtime your dynasty really gets formed as a result of the decisions you made and the games you won or lost (your teams decisions will have a carry-over affect on the decisions other teams will make in your dynasty). So over time after playing a number of seasons it really does become just like a role playing game (your dynasty gets formed based upon the decisions you made).

What I like about RPG's is basically the story that gets told within it (which is probably why I don't play them nearly as much as I used to because as the years go by the rpg stories don't seem grow up along with you) and I could really care less about the battles.

What I like about sports games is the dynasty mode (which basically can turn into your very own story over time). So basically I guess what I like about both genres is the story mode.

They need to make more games like Xenogears by the way.

And also though yes you could go outside and play sports games but could you play outside with the Florida State Seminoles, Oklahoma Sooners, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, or the Dallas Cowboys?

Montoya
11-21-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't really play games anymore, and those few that I used to play were part of a series like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, etc. There are many genres that I never enjoyed, but the one that gets to me is First Person Shooters on the Xbox 360. Some of my friends spend way too much time on it and take it too seriously. However, I will admit they can be entertaining. The bothersome part is how seriously they are taken.

hotspot
12-20-2008, 04:38 AM
I dislike shooter games, i really hate guns. sports games bore me. I'm not really into racing games unless if it's in an action adventure game.