PDA

View Full Version : Most wanted things next generation

Roto13
11-08-2008, 01:35 AM
So what kinds of things do you want to see happen with the next generation of consoles? I'm all curious and whatnot.

Momiji
11-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Less FPS games and more shmups? :3

Markus. D
11-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Chrome coating?
Sillicon glazed~
REAL SILVER Plating.

*ahem* No gimmicks, unless it's solid advancement.

Madame Adequate
11-08-2008, 01:51 AM
The Matrix.

blackmage_nuke
11-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Ironically, good backwards compatability.

Dreddz
11-08-2008, 08:32 PM
A bigger incentive not to just increase pixel count but to lock every game at 60fps with a steady framerate. I've gotten to the point where I don't care how textured a wall is in a game if it is going to have loads of pop-in which completely takes you out of the immersion.

I also want developers to stop relying on patches to fix their games after launch and instead do the right thing and finish the job before releasing it to the public. And I want DLC to be banned from now on. If developers can't treat it right (I'm looking at you Namco) then I don't want it at all.

As for people like Sony and Microsoft, they should make sure to have stable servers that don't screw up immediately after a game launches. Developers should also make damn sure that doesn't happen either. Both Socom and Littlebigplanet have been a mess ever since they released and that just sucks.

MadeOfApples
11-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Quoted for truth.

Roto13
11-08-2008, 09:17 PM

Quoted for truth.

God yes. >_>

Nominus Experse
11-08-2008, 09:59 PM
A new one of these: :sophia: to play with.

SNOOZER
11-08-2008, 10:17 PM

Quoted for truth.

God yes. >_>

Jumping on this one.

Levian
11-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Focus on gameplay rather than graphics. Screw graphics I tells ya.

Psychotic
11-09-2008, 02:39 AM
Developers actually taking time over their games instead of being forced into the buggy releases we're currently getting.

Madame Adequate
11-09-2008, 02:44 AM

Quoted for truth.

God yes. >_>

Jumping on this one.

Developers actually taking time over their games instead of being forced into the buggy releases we're currently getting.

I will /sign both of these.

Vermachtnis
11-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Umm...all the above.

Also more games with a whole bunch of paths that have you make decisions that actually impact the over arcing story. A lot of games promise this, but still four out of five times you are going to be fighting the same final boss. Would it be too much to ask to team up with the final boss of one path to take on the final boss of another? Or to actually see a big bad of one path a taxi driver or something mediocre in another?

MadeOfApples
11-09-2008, 04:50 AM
Isn't it a little sad that we're more interesting in good backwards computability than anything else?

Not to mention that out of those I talk to online, the game they were looking most to is either Megaman 9 or a collection of previously released games.

Roto13
11-09-2008, 05:04 AM
That's because Mega Man 9 is amazing. :P

Yar
11-09-2008, 05:12 AM
I wish we could go back to "gameplay over graphics;" but anymore, I seem to be the only one of this mentality. :-/

Roto13
11-09-2008, 05:17 AM
There are still plenty of games out there with awesome gameplay. But it's true that there are also plenty of games that do their best to look pretty and don't have the gameplay to back it up.

Also, you're not even the only one in this thread with that mentality. xP

Momiji
11-09-2008, 05:18 AM
I wish we could go back to "gameplay over graphics;" but anymore, I seem to be the only one of this mentality. :-/

Focus on gameplay rather than graphics. Screw graphics I tells ya.

:p

I'm all for it, really. I tend to enjoy minimalistic games more than over-the-top CG masterpieces anyway.

LunarWeaver
11-09-2008, 05:22 AM
I must withhold my opinion of Mega Man for my own safety.

I would like to see a movement away from consoles in general. I'd like a box I attach to my TV that wirelessly connects to a handheld. Then I could take the handheld anywhere, come home, and play it on my big screen in the living room via the box. It'd be a lot less fuss, and I imagine we would be replacing a lot less broken hardware.

It's true graphics would take a hit, but just look at the PSP. It pulls graphics off I never would imagine a handheld could accomplish back in the original Gameboy days. They will continue to get better. A pro of a less powerful machine is less cost to produce a game, and we might just see more new franchises popping up.

I have a feeling I am alone in this. A lot of other non-gaming related features current consoles have would possibly have to go.

MadeOfApples
11-09-2008, 05:28 AM
You know what I like most about the Nintendo Wii is?

Its just a video game console. No fancy features besides game playing... And CD playing.

Yar
11-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Yes, but the Wii does have that damned Wiimote.

Madame Adequate
11-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Isn't it a little sad that we're more interesting in good backwards computability than anything else?

No, not really. It's more convenient for me to need to keep two or three consoles set up than five or six. It's a bigger incentive for me to buy an expensive new console if I can easily continue playing my existing games, and I can build up the new collection over time. And whilst plenty of new games are awesome, so are plenty of old ones - libraries don't get rid of books written in the 50s because there are ones written since. I love 300 and The Dark Knight, but I still want to be able to watch Blade Runner and Alien. And in games, I'm totally into GoW2 and Mirror's Edge, but I still have a blast playing Track and Field and UFO: Enemy Unknown.

Roto13
11-09-2008, 05:38 AM
It doesn't play CDs. :P (Unless there's a homebrew app for it, which is highly possible.)

MadeOfApples
11-09-2008, 05:59 AM
It doesn't play CDs. :P (Unless there's a homebrew app for it, which is highly possible.)

I stand corrected than, I down own a Wii due to that remote being a pain. I have a hard time playing anything on it but my buddy has one. I thought he said it played CDs but I may of misheard him.

Levian
11-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, there's a homebrew app for it. DVD's too. But most people don't have either of those anyway. Especially those who doesn't like gaming consoles with fancy extras. ;)

Roto13
11-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Homebrew apps to play CDs and DVDs seem kind of silly to me. :P I have three DVD players hooked up to my TV right now, there are another two in other parts of the house, and plus there's my computer. XP

Momiji
11-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I don't have a DVD player in my room at my dad's house though, and that's where I keep my Wii. I may have to look into this. :p

Then again, my laptop plays DVDs...

MadeOfApples
11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Homebrew apps to play CDs and DVDs seem kind of silly to me. :P I have three DVD players hooked up to my TV right now, there are another two in other parts of the house, and plus there's my computer. XP

Same.

Besides a DVD player, I have two consoles hooked up that plays DVDs (and another two that only play CDs), and a 5 disc stereo. Plus my uncle is here with his Xbox 360 hooked up.

Each other TV (5 total) has a DVD player hooked to it plus each of our three computers play DVDs.

Its pretty crazy.

Milf -

I didn't think about the convince factor when it comes to having multiple consoles. Than again, I've been playing on multiple consoles since before I could walk so it just feels weird when there's only 1-2 consoles on a single TV.

I never bought a system because it was backwards compatible. I played my gameboy until I saw enough good games released on the GBA, than I upgraded. Same with the DS.. besides I kept the GBA for regular GB games. Playstation was the same way.

Haven't upgraded to the new generation yet because theres nothing worth paying $400 for.

and 300... wasn't good.

Moon Rabbits
11-09-2008, 04:27 PM

Quoted for truth.

God yes. >_>

Jumping on this one.

Yeah yeah.

I must withhold my opinion of Mega Man for my own safety.

I would like to see a movement away from consoles in general. I'd like a box I attach to my TV that wirelessly connects to a handheld. Then I could take the handheld anywhere, come home, and play it on my big screen in the living room via the box. It'd be a lot less fuss, and I imagine we would be replacing a lot less broken hardware.

It's true graphics would take a hit, but just look at the PSP. It pulls graphics off I never would imagine a handheld could accomplish back in the original Gameboy days. They will continue to get better. A pro of a less powerful machine is less cost to produce a game, and we might just see more new franchises popping up.

I have a feeling I am alone in this. A lot of other non-gaming related features current consoles have would possibly have to go.

I agree sort of. I think that there should be one universal platform (PC, hey? hey?) and that the video game industry should focus on it alone. There would a lot more advancement that way.

Roto13
11-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Advancement? God no. There'd be no more competition between hardware developers. That'd have the exact opposite effect.

MadeOfApples
11-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Advancement? God no. There'd be no more competition between hardware developers. That'd have the exact opposite effect.

Yup.

I really miss the days where there was MORE competition between hardware developers. Right now, the only consoles really competing is the PS3 and the 360. The Wii is so different that I don't view it as competing with those other two.

I remember when you had the Nintendo 64, Playstation, and Sega Saturn being in direct competition. With the Jaguar and 3D0 floating around trying to compete. With a couple other systems barely selling anything.

So many fantastic games came out at that time.

black orb
11-09-2008, 06:40 PM
>>> Cheaper consoles..

Quindiana Jones
11-09-2008, 06:52 PM

Both these.

Bolivar
11-09-2008, 06:56 PM

Yup.

Nope.

While maybe not on the level of consoles, if the industry were to focus on the PC, I could see competition heating up between processors and graphics cards easily, as has already taken place, it was a big deal - AMD fanboys hating Intel fanboys and vice versa, and the power pc followers (mostly mac back in the day) in the mix too. I would see the competition on that heating up if this were to take place.

On topic:

I think it's ironic that pretty much most of the suggestions in here are things that can and, rather, should be taking place on the current generation. I think that bears worse for the transition into more pc-oriented machines than our imaginations, though. I do have to comment that the "Gameplay-over-Graphics" debate is a little superficial, since I really can't think of any game today in our world of product testing that is as horrificly atrocious as the huge misses from the 8-bit and 16-bit days. See AVGN for details.

I would like to see some revolutionary satellite-type internet connection, so your system truly is "online out of the box". No dish required, though.

Interactivity with other devices: cell phones, pda's, lap tops, etc. The PSP is already setting a wonderful example for this, I think you should be able to sync up stuff to a greater extent, though. Hell, if they did that with the Sony ericsson I'd probably get one.

MadeOfApples
11-10-2008, 08:37 AM
On topic:

I think it's ironic that pretty much most of the suggestions in here are things that can and, rather, should be taking place on the current generation. I think that bears worse for the transition into more pc-oriented machines than our imaginations, though. I do have to comment that the "Gameplay-over-Graphics" debate is a little superficial, since I really can't think of any game today in our world of product testing that is as horrificly atrocious as the huge misses from the 8-bit and 16-bit days. See AVGN for details.

Its not so much that modern games are atrocious but more that they tend to be rather bland. I tend to get quite bored with fairly fun games because I just feel like I've played the exact same game before.

I mainly play RPG's which hasn't been hit as hard with the "bland scale" like FPS have but most of those tend to be falling into the whole "Voice acting is more important than actual plot" and "Lets just phone in the battle system" boat.

Bolivar
11-10-2008, 06:41 PM
On topic:

Its not so much that modern games are atrocious but more that they tend to be rather bland. I tend to get quite bored with fairly fun games because I just feel like I've played the exact same game before.

I mainly play RPG's which hasn't been hit as hard with the "bland scale" like FPS have but most of those tend to be falling into the whole "Voice acting is more important than actual plot" and "Lets just phone in the battle system" boat.

I absolutely agree with the blandness, its as if there's becoming a universal protocol for FPS controls, not just talking about triggers either.

However, I still feel gameplay, on the aggregate mostly, is still very strong today, many game genres that failed in the past have come into their own as a result of trial and error consoles have had for all these years now.

It's the repetition of that gameplay into varied and continually fun scenarios that I have a problem with, and I agree with you on.

demondude
11-12-2008, 06:23 PM
http://www.gsarchives.net/wii/super_smash_bros_brawl/sprites/non-animated/gameicn/stagesel_game_pikmin.png

scrumpleberry
11-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I don't have any hopes for the next generation. I'm still really enjoying the current!

Wolf Kanno
11-20-2008, 03:55 AM
All I really want is for future consoles to be created for the sole purpose of gaming, it may seem like an odd statement but if you ever listen to any of the Big 3's speeches at E3; you notice that they try to sell the systems more as an "entertainment centers". They spend more time talking about extra features than discussing the gaming applications and the games that going to be on it. Instead, I get to listen to how X-Box Live is just like MySpace except with score boards, and how Blu Ray will revolutionize entertainment. :rolleyes2

Thank you, I already have a video player, ipod, and a PC. I'm really not looking for a console that can do that as well. Don't get me wrong, they are good extra's and all; but I'm disappointed by how MS and Sony try to build their systems up as more than just "gaming machines". Did it ever occur to them that perhaps a gaming console is all I want? I don't need a system that can play games, movies, music, browse the web, open the garage door, cook a medium rare steak (Sony fans ;)), solve world hunger and keep track of all my daily appointments. I just want it to play games and I want most of that processing power to go towards making it the best gaming experience I can get.

Beyond that, I just want the stupid dick waving contest to end and all sides build systems that gaming developers can work with. It doesn't matter how good your processing power is if programmers can't make heads or tails of the specs. I want large "living" worlds with intelligent enemies. I want gameplay to run smoothly and I sure as hell don't want to deal with 5 minute load times every few hours (MGS4 :mad:). Basically, stop trying to outdo each other with specs and just make systems that allows everyone to make the most of their talents.

I also would like Nintendo to realize that despite reaching no.1 status again, they are blowing it big time...

Blue Harvest
11-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Instead of competing with each other, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo should work together and bring out one ultimately awesome console. It'd be expensive no doubt, but it's better than buying three seperate consoles :tongue:

Madame Adequate
11-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Haven't upgraded to the new generation yet because theres nothing worth paying $400 for.

I'm not sure what crazy year YOU live in, but two of the consoles *I* see on the shelves don't cost close to that anymore. And for me the 360 was well worth the price I paid, which was significantly more than it is today. Some of my best gaming ever on that console.

Wolf Kanno
11-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Instead of competing with each other, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo should work together and bring out one ultimately awesome console. It'd be expensive no doubt, but it's better than buying three seperate consoles :tongue:

I don't mind the competition, it's what gives us new gaming experiences, I just want better focus from the three. If they all merged, they would have a monopoly and then prices could be jacked up even more and game quality will suffer cause there would be no reason really to make great strides in technology since they won the whole business.

Mirage
11-22-2008, 02:14 PM
The Matrix.

This, and I'm totally serious.

KentaRawr!
11-22-2008, 02:39 PM
ROTO~! Oh how I shall miss thee, ROTO~!

I'd like to see more of the Wii Pointer in the future, because it's just so nice.