PDA

View Full Version : Trance

.:kerrod:.
11-12-2008, 07:49 AM
i dislike this....

i don't understand what this does for some characters, so can somebody please explain it to me? :p so Zidane's, Vivi's and Eiko's i understand (possibly Amarant's, i can't really remember what his trance is at the moment)

but wtf is with Dagger's, Steiner's and Quina's!? (i suppose Freya's isn't as blatently pathetic as theirs) does it only make them marginally stronger?...and why are Dagger's summons now called Eidolons (even though that's what they refer to them as in the rest of the game)...bring back the one uber overdrive/limit break/what have you!

MadeOfApples
11-12-2008, 08:40 AM
i dislike this....

i don't understand what this does for some characters, so can somebody please explain it to me? :p so Zidane's, Vivi's and Eiko's i understand (possibly Amarant's, i can't really remember what his trance is at the moment)

but wtf is with Dagger's, Steiner's and Quina's!? (i suppose Freya's isn't as blatently pathetic as theirs) does it only make them marginally stronger?...and why are Dagger's summons now called Eidolons (even though that's what they refer to them as in the rest of the game)...bring back the one uber overdrive/limit break/what have you!

Each character is effected differently by trance. Zidane gets higher speed and attack power as well as a special command, Vivi gets the ability to use double black magic, Steiner's attack strength goes up quite a bit (But I don't remember him having any other commands), and I believe Dagger's just raises her summoning ability?

I really haven't figured them out when I played through it last and Its been a while. I only used Zidane, Vivi, and Dagger. I remember not liking Dagger because her animations seemed to take longer during Trance but I don't know if its true or what.

EDIT: I looked it up on the main page.

Dagger -

There is only a random chance that the eidolon will actually appear when you summon it. It will appear the very first time you summon it, and then it's a random system thereafter. The damage done when the eidolon appears is about 2x more. When Garnet is in Trance, however, there is a much better chance that the eidolon will appear. Garnet can make it appear every time, however, by learning the boost ability.

11-12-2008, 08:53 AM
....when it 'appears'?....oooh, the animation sequence rather than just the final blow thing...yeah i get it, but that kinda makes her trance useless once you learn boost (which i can do now)

Old Manus
11-12-2008, 09:54 AM
FFIX had a pretty terrible limit system

SeeDRankLou
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Everyone except Steiner who goes into trance receives a 50% bonus to their attack strength. Steiner receives a 300% bonus (except while using the Blood Sword, which has a different damage calculation).

Quina's Eat turns into Cook. Eat allows Quina to eat a monster who's at 1/4 of its HP. Cook allows Quina to eat a monster who's at 1/2 of its HP.

As said before, when Garnet summons an eidolon under trance it will be summoned with a slightly different animation, with slightly altered attack power. And then after that, as long as Garnet doesn't summon a new one, that eidolon will randomly summon itself again. The only good thing about the random summon is that it doesn't use any more of the trance gauge, so if Garnet doesn't do anything else that Eidolon can summon itself for the remainder of the battle.

11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
whoa, i didn't get the 'summons itself' thing from what we were discussing up there ^^ how does that work? i mean, if you put in a different command will she randomly summon as well as the command you selected?

Black Magic Shopkeeper
11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Actually, for Garnet, the "Summon" option is replaced by "Eidolon" and I think the Eidolons hit harder during her Trance state. I dunno... I might have to go back and check.

scrumpleberry
11-12-2008, 08:03 PM

Yeah I was never like AW HELL YEAH like I was with the other limits, it was more like oh limit oh yeah let's just get on with it come on hurry up

SeeDRankLou
11-12-2008, 10:21 PM
whoa, i didn't get the 'summons itself' thing from what we were discussing up there ^^ how does that work? i mean, if you put in a different command will she randomly summon as well as the command you selected?
As long as that command isn't another summon command, then yes, she can do whatever she wants, and the eidolon will still randomly summon itself. However, if she does other stuff and her trance goes away, the random summon stops.

Saber
11-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Zidane - he can use Dyne

Vivi - He can use double magic

Dagger - Her summons summon again and again

Stiener - His attack is stronger

Freya - He does more damage when he jumps. (He'll stay in the air and throw spears down

Eiko - she can cast double white magic

Quina - She has a better chance at eating an opponent.

Amarant - I think his special powers has an all effect.

11-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Zidane - he can use Dyne

Vivi - He can use double magic

Dagger - Her summons summon again and again

Stiener - His attack is stronger

Freya - She does more damage when she jumps. (She'll stay in the air and throw spears down)

Eiko - She can cast double white magic

Quina - S/he (:p) has a better chance at eating an opponent.

Saber
11-13-2008, 01:29 AM
sorry I always seen freya and Quina as females, my mistake

Brennan
11-13-2008, 02:00 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always considered Quina a female too, because I think s/he can equip an item that says "worn by women"

I forgot which item though

11-13-2008, 03:34 AM
yeah, i also saw Quina as a girl, but every time they referred to it in this kind of context (ie. have to refer to it as 'it', 'him' or 'her'), instead of using 'it' they'd say 'him' :p

and Freya IS a girl, you were saying 'he', so i changed it to 'she' and bolded them :D

Saber
11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm going to final fantasy hell

SeeDRankLou
11-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always considered Quina a female too, because I think s/he can equip an item that says "worn by women"

I forgot which item though

No, Quina can wear the Lamia's Tiara, which can be worn by Quina and the girls. But the description of the item doesn't say it's an item for women. All the items that say "worn by women" in the description can't be worn by Quina.

Wolf Kanno
11-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Yeah I was never like AW HELL YEAH like I was with the other limits, it was more like oh limit oh yeah let's just get on with it come on hurry up

I've always been an odd duck cause I genuinely like the Trance system. It was more balanced than some of the other systems. Hell, if Zidane's Dyne skills were not so smurfing broken I would say it was one of the better systems. It would be interesting to see in future games imo :p

Elly
11-13-2008, 09:28 PM
i personaly hate Trance because it doesn't carry over to the next fight when you need it most, instead it would always activate on a chatracter that was like 3rd or 4th up in the fight roster and by time it got to them the fight is over and Trance never got used, not once have i been able to use a Trance in battle bacause of this... every other FF that uses a limit system works and i get to use them except in IX, in IX it always comes too late and never stays...

leader of mortals
11-13-2008, 09:39 PM
I think Square needs to find a system and stick with it...

of all I played...

FF4: None if I remember right...
FF6: Wasnt it low HP?
FF7: Cumulative damage(good system)
FF8: Low hp(another good system)
FF9: Cumulative damage
FF10 Cumulative damage
FF10-2: none...
FF12: Use mp?(not that great, but mp isnt that useful in this game so its not bad)

What it does...

FF6: Power attack, half savable I guess...
FF7: Power attack, savable
FF8: Power attack, half savable
FF9: Trance system, which makes you stronger over a period of time, not savable
FF10: Power attack + timing puzzle, savable
FF12: Power attack + timing puzzle, savable

None of them are the same in both...

11-13-2008, 09:44 PM
instead of a limit system, x-2 had those uber spheres for each of the girls...except they were more like summons than anything else...

FFIX Choco Boy
11-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Can I get pics of all the chars in trance? I wanna see what they all look like, but my game never zooms right when I get a trance, and it's really frustrating.

Elly
11-14-2008, 09:20 PM
i greatly prefered X's timing puzzles as it was fun and had the chance of not working as well as you hoped or working perfectly due to player input, and VII's variety of Limits for each character made it a good system as well... what could have made IX's a better system would be if it were savable like VII, VIII, & X, then it would at least be usable... and yes Limit Systems started with VI, and you could actualy choose how the limit gauges filled for each character in X...

Wolf Kanno
11-14-2008, 09:51 PM
I like the Trance system cause it wasn't savable, it not only justified their immense power but allowed a bit of long-term strategy.

Course I'm a bit bias cause I really hate the Limit Break systems. Mostly cause they are over-powered and easily abused. Most of VII's final Limit Breaks (Lv. 3 and 4) lack strategy and are basically "I win" buttons against everything but the optional Weapons. VIII's system is so abusive (technically everything is in this game) that it takes little strategy to keep your party low enough in HP to keep the Limits coming but not have to worry about getting killed like in VI. Oddly enough, X's is probably the most balance except for Yuna and when you factor in the Legendary weapons that turn most of the Overdrives into "I win" buttons again.

XII's... is overrated. I know too many people who rely on the system more than they should especially when by end game with the higher hunts or Espers its probably a more sound strategy to well... use a strategy and reserve your MP for magic buffs and healing than blow it all on a Quickening that might take a 1/8 of the bosses health when you could have taken 1/5 in the same amount of time with a good strategy. :rolleyes2

Crimson
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Meh it wasnt the best Limit system, but the shining transformations looked cool (and Zidane's Dyne attacks too)

Besides, the game's incredibly easy without them, I mean the strongest boss in the game only has 70k HP :rolleyes2

Roogle
12-01-2008, 09:44 PM
I thought that the Limit Break system gave more individuality to the characters. The Trance system, essentially, expanded their defined roles in battle without giving them a chance to show some of their personality like some of the trademark attacks of Cloud and Squall.

Depression Moon
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
The trance system to me is the only flaw in IX. I would have preferred it to be savable like X's, but it wasn't. It was only a few times that I probably had one activated right at the end of the battle so there wasn't much frustration for me.
X and VIII IMO had the best use of a limit system.

Crossblades
12-09-2008, 12:14 AM

It does

Shotgunnova
12-09-2008, 01:12 AM
I thought that the Limit Break system gave more individuality to the characters. The Trance system, essentially, expanded their defined roles in battle without giving them a chance to show some of their personality like some of the trademark attacks of Cloud and Squall.

I only see it as giving the illusion of personality, since that's really all there is the FF7/FF8 (and leapfrogging IX, most of the rest) crews besides their aesthetics -- swordsman uses sword attacks, martial artist kickboxes, etc. I'd agree that trances could've been more personalized instead of mere damage techs or effect-givers, but IX's cast already has unique abilities and skillsets, so it seemed like a fair tradeoff considering trances are already marginalized.

sir helix
12-24-2008, 04:26 AM

Not nessasarly, if you sing the hyme of faith, prey to aireth, devote your self to a paladin, tote a large sword, kill your evil sibling, and steal an ostrech and claim its a chocobo, you should be alright XD

Highwind256
01-25-2009, 06:29 PM
This has to be my least favorite limit break of any final fantasy for the reason that it always seems to happen either in a pointless fight or right near the end of a fight then becomes useless. The only point it actually helped me was when Zidane got it in the final boss fight. That was pretty much the only point where trance actually worked to my benefit.

Mercen-X
03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
As said before, when Garnet summons an eidolon under trance it will be summoned with a slightly different animation, with slightly altered attack power. And then after that, as long as Garnet doesn't summon a new one, that eidolon will randomly summon itself again. The only good thing about the random summon is that it doesn't use any more of the trance gauge, so if Garnet doesn't do anything else that Eidolon can summon itself for the remainder of the battle.In order to keep her Trance gauge, don't you have to wait for other characters to be available and triangle-skip them? Annoying.

if Zidane's Dyne skills were not so smurfing broken I would say it was one of the better systems.I never had any problems with Zidane's Dyne. When Trance occurred, I always liked being able toe use his the most.

i personaly hate Trance because it doesn't carry over to the next fight...Truth.

Not necessarily, if you sing the hymn of the faith, prey to Aerith, devote yourself to a Paladin, tote a large sword, kill your evil sibling, and steal an ostrich and claim it's a chocobo, you should be alright.

You're out of luck is your sibling is only evil to you. Wait a minute... HELL NO! A frickin' dumbass ostrich cannot be passed off as a Chocobo. Gimme a break.

sdm42393
03-03-2009, 03:15 AM
I like the Trance system cause it wasn't savable, it not only justified their immense power but allowed a bit of long-term strategy.

Wind_Falcon
03-06-2009, 02:23 PM
I like Trance because it couldn't be saved for a later battle.

1st - people say that when u need it u won't have it, but it will go all on random battles. Complete bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:. For 3 runs of the game, on every boss I really needed Trance, I had it.

2nd - This made you think for different strategies. Hell, on my first playthrough, on the final Kuja battle I had both Vivi and Zidane Tranced, but needed to save up Zaidane's Trance for Necron. So I purposely killed Zidane in a random fight before Kuja (so that his Trance won't go off on the Kuja fight) and I fought Kuja with 3 party members. Double Flare and Flare Sword demolish Kuja. And on Necron Zidane was revived and Tranced - Solution 9. It's my most memorable FF battle to date :)

Wolf Kanno
03-06-2009, 06:32 PM
if Zidane's Dyne skills were not so smurfing broken I would say it was one of the better systems.I never had any problems with Zidane's Dyne. When Trance occurred, I always liked being able toe use his the most.

My problem with Zidane's is that its just pure and unapologetic damage. Granted, it was suppose to be for story purposes, but I prefer Limit Breaks when they use to be about strategy and not "I win buttons". Its my only issue with Zidane's; cause his falls into the "I win" category. The others can too, but they always felt a little more reasonable; and their brokenness was only apparent towards the end of the game. Whereas Zidane's was consistently broken from the beginning.

I just prefer strategy over godhood.

Fynn
03-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Steiner's Shock was practically an "I win" attack, except that you didn't even have to have him tranced in order to do 9999 damage. You could slice through every boss without problems if you had Steiner in your party, granted that you had enough ethers... And this got me a bit angry, 'cause this ability made Steiner's trance pointless...

Wolf Kanno
03-06-2009, 07:01 PM
True, but like most of the really broken elements in IX's gameplay, it didn't show up until late in the game. I can't remember but doesn't the weapon that teaches Shock not even show up until the middle of the Third Disc?

Zidane's Thievery is also pretty broken as well and if you took the time to do the Frog Quest early...

roen
06-14-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with their trances really. Zidane's trance was a life saver on necron actually. I was about to lose in that battle. Other non trance moves that have the ability to do 9,999 damage are limit glove and freya's dragon crest. Although I think Vivi's trance is the best.