PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Poison

Vermachtnis
11-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Anyone else pick this up today? It's a strategy RPG, selling itself as a Gothic Fairytale. And it is pretty creepy.

After the tutorial battle, the story branches off into three paths: Thage, Olifen, and Ashley. You used Thage in the tuturial, so I think she's like the de facto main character, but I went with down Ashley's path. Got to the first boss and died. Not fun when it's game over when the main character dies. Especially when you spend half an hour in the fight killing off the other majin on the field and getting him down to where one or two more turns would finish him off. But it's really fun and the voice acting is great. Except for that weird opera thing that introduces enemies.

Tasura
11-13-2008, 12:44 AM
what system is it for? If it's 360 I might pick it up over the break.

NeoCracker
11-13-2008, 01:18 AM
PS2. :P

I picked it up and am going to try it soon. :P

Tasura
11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Hot diggity damn, now it's on my "to buy" list.

NeoCracker
11-15-2008, 12:54 AM
It is a quite well made game, though there is a glaring flaw thats preventing me from enjoying it. The actual combat feels so slow.

Dignified Pauper
11-15-2008, 01:51 AM
more review please, i saw it today and looked interested.

JKTrix
11-15-2008, 04:57 AM
I've been loosely following this ever since Atlus teased its release a long time ago, but once they revealed the game I was less interested. Japanese reviews weren't too great for it, and it's coming out at kind of a bad time for someone who owns multiple systems.

Would really like to hear more impressions from you guys that get it. I love me some Atlus, so I may get it when I pick up Persona 4 in a few weeks.

Vermachtnis
11-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Okay I finished Ashley's scenario. I thought the game was fun, but a little unforgiving. Especially since there is no backtracking. For many, many maps the last people standing were Ashley, Reyna, and Lena. Alexia was good for a couple of battles after I got him, but monsters realized he was weak to water so yea.

And I gotta say I was surprised with Ashley, she looks like your typical Staff Chick character, but I was wrong. She's the best melee character I have. Her Punishment attack is just mean.

Lena on the other hand, looks exactly like she's suppose to. She has Dark Magic and stuff and can't take a hit. Of course she should never get close enough to enemies to take a hit, but sadly Malus doesn't have enough range for her to stay to a safe distance. But even still, she's deadly. But I may just favor her cause she has the same VA as Pamela. I seriously keep expecting a Teddy Bear to come outta no where and beat up on the enemies.

And Reyna, what can I say about Reyna. Reyna is an archer. And a damn find one too. Found that even enemies with a resistance to Peirce attacks still take more damage from Reyna.

And Imps will go out of there way to screw you. There's this capture mechanic that if you kill a monster hard enough it'll be sealed and you can capture it to sell for money and new items, extract a skill, or for PP. Yea the Imps will target sealed creatures and kill them for real. Also they open boxes on the map.

There's my three since on the subject. With a run down of my favorite characters. And Nena isn't a story related character, so I think she's available in other scenarios.

Dignified Pauper
11-29-2008, 11:12 PM
I've heard battles are terribly tedious. Confirm?

Vermachtnis
11-30-2008, 01:06 AM
I didn't find them that bad. Some of the battles can get drawn out though. And since it's game over if the main character dies you really don't want to rush. And sometimes the map is not in your advantage. Especially the second to last map of the third strata for example. I mean you try to advance the enemy will ambush you. You play it safe and lure just one of them to fight, two will take a safe place above you pelt you with magic. Took a few retries for that map. So yea for that part it got a little tedious.