PDA

View Full Version : Computer likes to shut off by itself

Bahamut2000X
11-13-2008, 03:41 AM
Well after cleaning out my computer yesterday of dust, today it's been giving me problems in loading it up, it'll take a few minutes and doesn't like to just load up, it'll start then suddenly it'll turn off.

Once it's on it doesn't give me problems, but it's getting it on which is the problem.

I think it's the power supply but I wanted some more opinions before going out and spending money on another power supply and time installing it.

Iceglow
11-13-2008, 04:59 AM
remember to check all the cables, power supply cables especially are plugged in firmly also check for jumpers ect anything which could have become dislodged when you cleaned, this could be the source of the issue if not then it sounds like your powersupply may indeed be on the fritz.

o_O
11-13-2008, 07:41 AM
It's quite possible that it's caused by a dislodged memory stick, which are really easy to bump out of their sockets accidentally. I recommend removing all but one, and adding them back in one by one, testing the boot process each time to eliminate the possibility of a faulty stick.

Also, I'd say it's a good idea to check the temperature of the CPU in your BIOS right after a power-off, since overheating can cause this problem sometimes.

Bahamut2000X
11-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I doubt it's over heating as my room is fairly cold, and it's only in the first few seconds I turn it on.

I'll give the memory stick thing a try next time I turn it off. It seems once I get the thing in windows it's fine, but before then it's fair game to shut down whenever. So it's only during the booting process it shuts down (thus far).

Namelessfengir
11-13-2008, 10:42 PM
i have sorta the same problem so there's no real reason for making a new thread right

turn mine on and the standby light lights up, but you need to tilt it to the left for it to start up with no problems...

at first i thought it might be a bad harddrive but i dropped in a new/bigger one and it still did it. so now i figure its pwr or cpu but i might have to check that ram suggestion (im ordering more anyway)

crono_logical
11-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Try also checking the power cable feeding the motherboard itself from the PSU, and any/all other cables attached to the motherboard :p It does sound like you dislodged something whilst cleaning though :p

Baloki
11-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Maybe you built up a static charge? Unplug the kettle lead and hit the power switch a few times :)

Aerith's Knight
11-16-2008, 03:26 AM
I doubt it's over heating as my room is fairly cold, and it's only in the first few seconds I turn it on.

I'll give the memory stick thing a try next time I turn it off. It seems once I get the thing in windows it's fine, but before then it's fair game to shut down whenever. So it's only during the booting process it shuts down (thus far).

That doesn't mean the processor can't overheat.

Try dislodging the cooling from the processor, and spray some canned air to clear any dust that might have come between it. That's how my old com overheated once.

Bahamut2000X
11-17-2008, 02:50 AM
So I got a new power supply and everything works just fine now. Hurray for working power supplies.