PDA

View Full Version : Music that gets your chemicals going

Rantz
11-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Whether it be happy chemicals, sad chemicals, dance chemicals, scream chemicals, genital chemicals or other chemicals. That is, what music makes you feel how?

I got my new speakers for my computer last week, a great enhancement from my previous, and I'm listening to Górecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs at loud volume and it chills me to the bone. At one point my eyes were near tearing up from the intensity of the song, which few things do to me.

Kimya Dawson's lyrics also makes me shiver a little because of how sincere they are, and even though I do not necessarily feel the same as her or even know what she's going on about half of the time, there is an unmistakable sense of honesty there that I've never seen so clearly before. I'm not sure how to define that feeling, but it definitely gets my chemicals going.

Alternate topic: How much does music quality matter to you? Are there any types of music where you think quality (for example, good speakers) are more important than otherwise? (Hint: Jazz and Classical)

Loony BoB
11-13-2008, 02:00 PM
I tend to feel how the song 'feels' if you get what I mean. A song like Lose Yourself will get me into a pensive mood, a song like Love Song will make me feel upbeat and a slow song like Brahms' Lullaby will get me sleepy. If I'm in a mood, I'll be wanting some hard rock, moody rap or possibly something with a very large amount of bass. I can actually force my mood to change on some occasions simply by listening to different music.

Boney King
11-13-2008, 10:53 PM
"Is This It?" by The Strokes
"Kid A" by Radiohead

These two albums get my "genital chemicals", as you put them, going.

Listening to Minor Threat makes me wanna punch fools.

Jessweeee♪
11-13-2008, 11:06 PM
BOOM BOOM SATELLITES MAKE MY DANCEY CHEMICALS DANCE

Markus. D
11-13-2008, 11:53 PM
( ゚∀゚)彡 えーりん!えーりん!

^_^~

Well, I must say, listening right through Act II, being plot-driven (interesting huh?).

I constantly got goosebumps multiple listens to the final song "Vital Vessals Vindicate"~~ at the time I was kinda freaking out because I NEVER break out into cold sweats XD!!

Tub Ring's entire "Zoo Hypothesis" album has me singsinging along and really getting into the constantly changing genres of music :D

Pete for President
11-14-2008, 12:46 AM
The Arcade Fire - Funeral always gets my spiritual mood going. Lately the White Stripes - Elephant is representing my energetic mood (especially "Ball and biscuit" and "Girl, you have no faith in medicine").

Other than that:

Riverboat Gamblers - Something to Crow About for energy
A Radio With Guts - Beat Heart Sweet Stereo for the sad times.

Momiji
11-14-2008, 01:46 AM
( ゚∀゚)彡 えーりん!えーりん!

^_^~

Well, I must say, listening right through Act II, being plot-driven (interesting huh?).

I constantly got goosebumps multiple listens to the final song "Vital Vessals Vindicate"~~ at the time I was kinda freaking out because I NEVER break out into cold sweats XD!!

Tub Ring's entire "Zoo Hypothesis" album has me singsinging along and really getting into the constantly changing genres of music :D

( ゚∀゚) 助けて えいりん!
   (彡

Anyway, music is a very mood-based thing for me. Some music will get said chemicals flowing at times, and at other times, it won't.

Evastio
11-14-2008, 02:11 AM
I mostly like video game music. Especially (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9gQzqwoETU&feature=related) F-Zero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgB_RRg2Ew&feature=related) music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUWH1r9Ux0&feature=related). It makes me feel all insane and energized.

Yar
11-14-2008, 03:12 AM
I like to get ready for work while listening to No Doubt because it puts me in a happy mood.

Also, songs that are explicity about sex get me in *that* mood. Only exception seems to be rap, and I have no idea why.

Nominus Experse
11-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Massive Attack and pre-Fragile NIN.

NeoTifa
11-14-2008, 04:43 PM
i hate rap.... but sean paul :love:

and my chemical romance. *swoons*

dimmu borgir gets adrenaline going, but i dont think thats the chemicals you were talking about :D

Flying Mullet
11-14-2008, 04:44 PM
For some reason over the last couple of weeks I've been enjoying blasting Bon Jovi's <i>Slippery When Wet</i> when driving the hour to/from school and singing along at the top of my lungs.

Depression Moon
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah a lot of different music evoke different emotions into me like some of the FF songs for instance like Melodies of Life and Eternity would put me in a relaxed mood and songs like One Mic would get me energized.

BardTard
11-14-2008, 09:28 PM
"The Extreme" from Final Fantasy 8 gets me like, really pumped up every time I listen to it. I don't know any other way to put it.

"Kettobase!" by Utada Hikaru makes me feel like I could beat the crap out of someone. Especially the live version.

SMiLE.dk, Shanadoo, Perfume, DJ Satomi and Cascada make me want to dance.

The Unknown Guru
11-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Death Cab's Transatlanticism really hits the spot if I'm feeling kinda depressed. If I feel dancey, I listen to Man Down Medic, The Batteries (both local bands), or Gogol Bordello (I swear, there is nothing more awesome than gypsy punk). If I wanna headbang, in goes Wolfmother.

Finally, if I want to listen to music that strikes a chord with the very fiber of my soul, then I listen to The Replacements' Let It Be.

Montoya
11-15-2008, 08:16 PM
"Destillat" by Das Ich. (The VNV remix)

Get's me all the time. :cool: