PDA

View Full Version : Well, I Never Knew That!

Yar
11-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I learned something new today! You know those vans that are employed by councils on aging and other help-for-the-elderly groups that provide wheelchair accessible transportation to the eldery? Well, those are called "ambulettes".

What did you learn today?

Rantz
11-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I learned that same thing just now.

qwertysaur
11-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I learned that same thing just now.
^This and that hysteria specifically means female insanity.

NeoTifa
11-13-2008, 11:57 PM
i learned that gobo wasnt a mod.... i knew that they were called ambulettes. theres a bunch in englewood near the hospitol. they say it on the side of the vans :p plus, they have a few in the taxi company my dads ex-wife owns

rubah
11-14-2008, 01:12 AM
What I Learned Today (http://www.rubah.net/wilt)

RSL
11-14-2008, 01:29 AM
I didn't learn anything today, but last night I learned how buttons were made. I have since forgotten most of it though.

Aerith's Knight
11-14-2008, 01:54 AM
- Advanced interferometrics in solar cell calculations.
- Volume Integration over 3 variables.
- Spirometrics
- Exact friction losses in laminair flow.

MadeOfApples
11-14-2008, 02:31 AM
I didn't learn anything today, but last night I learned how buttons were made. I have since forgotten most of it though.

Were you watching "How its made" or a similar show on Discovery? I saw an episode with buttons on it. But I usually forget the majority of those shows. >_>

Today, I learned that...
....Pong in text form is extremely lame.
...That a year prescription of Legend of Zelda comics cost $18 back in 1991.
...The a Black Sea deluge may be the foundation for a lot of ancient flood stories.

I'm also trying to teach myself french. No luck so far..

rubah
11-14-2008, 02:50 AM
c'est pas difficile, Fait des Pommes.

RSL
11-14-2008, 02:55 AM
Yes, you are exactly right MadeOfApples. I love that show because they always show crap that at first I think "I don't care how that is made" and then as it goes a long I think "wow, that's a lot more involved than I thought it would be."

Of course, I wasn't in charge of the T.V. at the time. I probably wouldn't have even watched it otherwise.

Okay, I learned something today. I learned that before today I have in fact posted at EoFF twice in the current year.

MadeOfApples
11-14-2008, 03:00 AM

Je parle très mal le français, mais je parle le français.

The only thing I understood from your post was "difficult" and "Apples". <_<

Aerith's Knight
11-14-2008, 03:02 AM

I think it means: "It's not difficult, Made of apples"

I can't remember what Fait means.

Peegee
11-14-2008, 03:03 AM
Rubahs told me how emergency contraceptives work.

D:

Aerith's Knight
11-14-2008, 03:05 AM
Rubahs told me how emergency contraceptives work.

D:

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/11g04QCwkkL._AA174_.jpg

:bigsmile:?

I learned today that sleep deprivation makes me go slightly crazy.

MadeOfApples
11-14-2008, 03:06 AM

It does.

I knew that he said difficult and apples so I figured he either said "Its not difficult, Made of Apples" or "Its very difficult, Made of Apples".

Yes, you are exactly right MadeOfApples. I love that show because they always show crap that at first I think "I don't care how that is made" and then as it goes a long I think "wow, that's a lot more involved than I thought it would be."

Of course, I wasn't in charge of the T.V. at the time. I probably wouldn't have even watched it otherwise.

Those shows always sound uninteresting but once I start watching them, I have to finish the whole episode. The narrator is a little dull so I don't remember a lot of what I learned -_-

EDIT:

Left out a word in one of my sentences.

Aerith's Knight
11-14-2008, 03:09 AM
]

It does.

I knew that he said difficult and apples so I figured he either said "Its not difficult, Made of Apples" or "Its difficult, Made of Apples".

C'est = it is
ne pas = don't
des Pommes = the apples

It's difficult was kinda ruled out in the beginning, I'm afraid.

MadeOfApples
11-14-2008, 03:21 AM
]

It does.

I knew that he said difficult and apples so I figured he either said "Its not difficult, Made of Apples" or "Its difficult, Made of Apples".

C'est = it is
ne pas = don't
des Pommes = the apples

It's difficult was kinda ruled out in the beginning, I'm afraid.

I've been at this for only a couple days. :P

I just didn't know what pas translated as.

The only things that my mind could fit in there was "don't" and "very" and by the looks of it, I didn't type that in my last post.

*Edits*

Rye
11-14-2008, 03:40 AM
I learned that in Rhode Island, people actually have to pump their own gas, since there aren't gas attendants in like, 90% of the stations.

MadeOfApples
11-14-2008, 03:43 AM
I learned that in Rhode Island, people actually have to pump their own gas, since there aren't gas attendants in like, 90% of the stations.

Over here in Washington, you have to pump your own gas as well.

Why do so many states have gas attendants? Is it required by law or is it by choice?

rubah
11-14-2008, 03:46 AM
I didn't know anyone didn't pump their own gas outside of New Jersey. How strange.

Also on this day, MadeofApples learned that rubah is in fact a ladygirl.

c'est (it is )
pas (colloquial short form of not)
difficile (difficult)
fait (past tense of faire, to make or to do)
des (of the )
pommes (apples)

Also, AK, that thing you posted a picture of is a device used to remove snot from babies noses.

Aerith's Knight
11-14-2008, 03:50 AM
Also, AK, that thing you posted a picture of is a device used to remove snot from babies noses.

I hate it when people don't get jokes. You think I can find that picture without the search phrase "Snot sucker?" :rolleyes2

rubah
11-14-2008, 03:53 AM
it doesn't have anything to do with EC though. There's a part to joke making where you actually have to say something funny or at least ironically irrelevant. That's like, the whole idea behind it.

MadeOfApples
11-14-2008, 03:53 AM
I didn't know anyone didn't pump their own gas outside of New Jersey. How strange.

Also on this day, MadeofApples learned that rubah is in fact a ladygirl.

c'est (it is )
pas (colloquial short form of not)
difficile (difficult)
fait (past tense of faire, to make or to do)
des (of the )
pommes (apples)

I already knew you were female. I checked your user profile about a week ago.

Thanks for explaining what each word meant.

I'm trying to learn French with an English to French dictionary, google, and my friend who took three years of French in high school. I'm doing alright with the more basic single words right now but sentences are difficult.

Rye
11-14-2008, 03:54 AM
It's required by law in New Jersey. It's just a happy convenience in New York. It's going to sound kind of ditzy, but I wasn't aware that people even pumped their own gas until a few years ago. It's just that expected here.

Aerith's Knight
11-14-2008, 03:57 AM
it doesn't have anything to do with EC though. There's a part to joke making where you actually have to say something funny or at least ironically irrelevant. That's like, the whole idea behind it.

Well, I couldn't make that joke without Leeza hitting me in the face, so I hoped you might lay the connecting between the quote and the picture, but I suppose no one will ever know now. :(

Yar
11-14-2008, 03:58 AM
We have a gas station here that for some reason it's 5¢ cheaper per gallon to have your gas pumped rather than to pump it yourself. :confused:

But no, it's more typical to pump your own gas here, too.

Araciel
11-14-2008, 03:37 PM
I know all and see all.

Montoya
11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I found out Mexico isn't the only place where people pump the gas for you.

Momiji
11-14-2008, 04:01 PM
It's required by law in New Jersey. It's just a happy convenience in New York. It's going to sound kind of ditzy, but I wasn't aware that people even pumped their own gas until a few years ago. It's just that expected here.

There's only one gas station around here where they pump gas for you, and it's in the middle of nowhere. Everywhere else, you have to do it yourself.

I'm the complete inverse; I had no idea that it was common for gas station attendants to pump gas for you these days.

NeoTifa
11-14-2008, 04:08 PM
ce n'est pas difficile, Fait des Pommes.

i fix

Krelian
11-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm the complete inverse; I had no idea that it was common for gas station attendants to pump gas for you these days.
Me too. I don't think there are any stations where you don't have to pump yourself here.

I learned some more Thai today.

NeoTifa
11-14-2008, 05:20 PM
I found out Mexico isn't the only place where people pump the gas for you.

my moms friend worked at a swifty. ... they have employees pump gas

rubah
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
maybe if you're going to write it, NeoTifa, but like I said later, I was using the colloquial form.

demondude
11-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Smart-ass got pwned.

scrumpleberry
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
maybe if you're going to write it, NeoTifa, but like I said later, I was using the colloquial form.

Mais oui. C'est pas necessaire pour cette conversation.

I learnt that drama llamas truly are the most boring people on the planet today. I'm too sympathetic, I keep on forgetting.

MadeOfApples
11-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Well, I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up this morning. Still remember most of what I tried teaching myself yesterday.

I've just been trying to piece together words to form sentences in French with an English to French dictionary. Translating them in google goes fine but when I try to translate sentences in to French from English, I just get confused with the result.

Should check myself a French language book at the library.

Today, I learned that there was a naval battle in the Aleutian Islands during the Civil War.

rubah
11-14-2008, 08:32 PM
It's harder than you might think, MadeofApples :( I read a very good children's book about firefighters this summer in France though! It took me a long time to read it through and I reread it a couple of times for comprehension xD

BardTard
11-14-2008, 08:40 PM
I learned that if I plan on picking up a job application from any place of business, I should call and ask them to hold on to one for me and tell them my name so that when I get there they don't tell me "sorry we're out and our printer's broken" and end up still working a part-time job with 10 hours a week for another year.

I have the worst luck. :(

RSL
11-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Never, in my nearly 30 years of life, have I ever had someone pump gas for me. It is such a simple task, I can't comprehend needing to have someone on staff at a fueling station for this purpose.

Once again, I didn't learn anything today. I think I might be at a point where I have nothing left to learn!

scrumpleberry
11-14-2008, 11:33 PM
I think I might be at a point where I have nothing left to learn!

Life wouldn't be worth living if this ever really happened.

The Unknown Guru
11-14-2008, 11:40 PM
I learned that this one girl I know looks really good with her hair in a ponytail.

RSL
11-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I think I might be at a point where I have nothing left to learn!

Life wouldn't be worth living if this ever really happened.

True enough. I most likely learned things and just can't recall them at the moment.

Montoya
11-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Corona tastes like crap. :mad2: