PDA

View Full Version : Talking to Hairdressers.

Mittopotahis
11-17-2008, 01:40 AM
I just had the severe misfortune of having to get my haircut. I always hate it because a) they always make a complete mess of my hair and b) I don't know whether or not I should talk to them.

I won't talk to the hairdresser if s/he doesn't talk to me. If they talk, I will talk back. Whether or not I reply with anything interesting comes down to if they seem nice or not.

Do you like talking to your hairdressers? Or, if you are a hairdresser, do you like to talk to your customers? Do you get told by your bosses to talk to your customers? Would you do a bad job of their hair if they didn't talk back? zomg I have so many questions for the 'dressers!

Yar
11-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Depends on who's cutting my hair. Typically my grandma can cut my hair well.

But when I have to go to a salon, I just feel awkward. It's okay if they're talking about my hair, I mean that is why I am there. But small-talk is awkward. Especially the dreaded question of "Do you have a wife/girlfriend?" (Why do people ask me this so much? :p) What's more awkward than small-talk is silence, though. So, I can small-talk.

kikimm
11-17-2008, 01:47 AM
I absolutely hate it when they try to talk to me. Same goes for dentists. Seriously dude? Your hands are in my mouth and you're trying to smurfing chit chat?

Anyways, back to hairdressers. Just cut my hair please. I don't care about you, and you don't care about me, so let's not waste time pretending to be interested in each other's lives.

Wow, I am in a really good mood!

Aerith's Knight
11-17-2008, 01:48 AM
The woman who cuts my hair has been doing it for 15 years. She asks me simple stuff: "How are you", "Are you going out this saturday?", "How's school?"

She is the only one that can actually cut my hair without making it some kind of Smurfing bowl cute.

So I answer her questions with mild to moderate enthousiasm.

rubah
11-17-2008, 01:51 AM
I don't mind talking to dentists too much .

My hairdresser is usually my mom though.

Rye
11-17-2008, 01:54 AM
You sound like my boyfriend. He needs a haircut and he won't get it because he hates talking to the hair dresser. xDD

I personally love going. The place I go to is so nice and the people are so nice and young and talented, because I go to a very expensive salon, rather than a dime a dozen salon full of talentless hair dressers! I adore it! They're very interesting to talk to, and they're not over-chatty. I feel more comfortable when my hair dresser does talk to me. The only time my hair dresser was silent was the time this random asshole cut my bangs horribly crooked and wrong (a trim on side bangs does not equal crooked straight across bangs.) I stopped going to cheap salons after that.

I feel terribly unsettled when my people who do my nails are silent as well.

Madame Adequate
11-17-2008, 01:56 AM
The fourish years in which I never went to the hairdresses were the happiest days of my life.

I want automated hairdressers.

Kirobaito
11-17-2008, 02:00 AM
I don't mind talking to my hairdresser because she has been doing it a long time.

Psychotic
11-17-2008, 02:19 AM
I don't mind talking to my hairdresser because she has been doing it a long time.Yeah, same here. I've known mine since I was like, 3 or something.

Rantz
11-17-2008, 02:40 AM
I'm My Own Hairdresser.

Meow
11-17-2008, 04:11 AM
sometimes I start clicking intently through my cellphone call list so I don't have to say hi to friends I pass on the street

Peegee
11-17-2008, 04:12 AM
We talk if there's something to talk about. They all speak Chinese there so it's very limited what we can talk about.

Sure I can speak to them in English but I like my excuses better.

erikramza
11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
barber, yes.
what is a hair dresser?

scrumpleberry
11-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I like chatting to hairdressers. I'm picky about where I go, so I rarely get a bad one.

themagicroundabout
11-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Ah, when I go to my usual hairdresser, Arnie, we have a good old chat. I'll get a few glasses of wine and some nibbles and he is awesome to talk to. I often see him out and about town too, & we've chatted & bought each other drinks. I like Arnie. :ghost:

I Took the Red Pill
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
She is an extremely hot twenty-something single mom who says ignorant, prejudiced things about gays and asians. So yes, yes I do.

I Don't Need A Name
11-17-2008, 06:25 PM
I go to a mate of my aunt's hairsalon place, so i can talk to her fine.
i never spoke when i went to a mens barbers, cause they didnt give a damn about anyone they served

LunarWeaver
11-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm painfully shy offline and can never think of things to say. They usually give up talking to me before long. I annoy them anyway because I never know how I want it cut. I always shrug and say "I dunno, just anything" over and over again. :aimblush: They don't want to talk to customers like me.

fairweather
11-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Ehh, I'm nice enough to them but sometimes they just dont shut up.
The small talk is awkward yet they keep pushing it.
Do you really care about my hopes and dreams? If I have sisters or brothers? If I fold or scrunch?
Give me a breaaaak.

Plus they never do my hair right. Its always too short, or too square or too ugly.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-18-2008, 06:59 AM
I seriously have issues staying awake while getting my hair cut. I don't care if they fark it up, because it grows back and for some reason people messing with my hair makes me zone out. I usually wake up to the hair dryer. If I am awake I don't mind talking to them, though.

Miriel
11-18-2008, 07:31 AM
I seriously have issues staying awake while getting me hair cut.

This!

I have to fight so hard not to fall asleep when people are brushing/cutting/washing my hair. I dunno what it is, but those activities have always put me to sleep. In a good way. My mom used to brush my hair to get me to fall asleep. Mm... so relaxing. BUT YOU CAN'T FALL ASLEEP! Must keep an eye on those hair dressers at all times. I've experienced too many smurf ups at Salons to ever be trusting again.

Blue Harvest
11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
My barber doesn't say much, so I don't have to talk to him :jess:

Montoya
11-20-2008, 08:46 AM
I never talk to them unless they talk to me. It's awkward either way. They touch my hair. :greenie:

mooglebunni608
11-21-2008, 03:10 AM
My better cuts have been at the Hair Cuttery chain. Which is weird. My best conversations WITH the hairdressers has also been there, because they knew what manic panic was and didn't tell me 'Honey you're KILLING your hair'x5000, which happened at the "really nice" non-chain salon. The lady there was pretty obnoxious and uncreative and tried to get me to pay $85 for a hair color I didn't even WANT. And then acted like it was a big horrible crime just to want to get some color removed.

I should have just done it at home *mumblegrumble*.

Iceglow
11-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I miss the hairdresser in Essex I went to, she was nice and loved doing my hair because with my hair so thick she could literally thin it out a little for spiking purposes indefinitely and make no visible impact on it. She also understood what my wants were, I used to speak with her lots but most barbers/hairdressers in London aren't very nice or very good. Last time I cut my hair myself now I'm trying to think of ways to avoid going to a crap hairdresser.

Laddy
11-23-2008, 12:22 AM
My hairdresser's name is Grace. We're good friends. Whenever I get my hair done I simply say, 'I'm hanging out with Grace!"

So yeah, we talk life and hair.

Zeldy
11-23-2008, 12:25 AM
They try to but they run out of things to ask eventually. I hate sitting there staring at them cutting your hair in the mirror, I really hate that, I never know where to look.

I need to book a hair appointment soon actually, they always cut it wrong too, I ask for short layers and I don't get them!

Jiro
11-23-2008, 08:57 AM
I talk to them, but it's normally a long time between cuts, so they probably forget who I am next time I visit :D