PDA

View Full Version : Regarding jobs/careers

Shorty
11-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Explain what you do for a living.

I'm a receptionst/dispatcher who spends about ten hours a day on the phone talking to either unhappy people or unhappy technicians.

Rye
11-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Over the summer, I worked for an big iced tea company as a customer service troubleshooter.

Right now, I'm in college to become an English Teacher.

Shorty
11-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Well you'd better study hard, because "an big" isn't proper!

Rye
11-22-2008, 11:28 PM

Sarah's picking on me! >;OOO

Kirobaito
11-22-2008, 11:31 PM
My last job was two summers ago working in a museum store that sold exclusively Star Wars merchandise.

I am in college to be a historian or a history professor. I want to be a folksinger.

Shorty
11-22-2008, 11:35 PM
What inspired you to be a folk singer? That's awesome. xD I wanted to be an archaeologist, until I found it it was nothing like the Indiana Jones movies.

just because I'm better at english than you ;D

Zeldy
11-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I work part-time at Next at the minute, a retail assistant or something. I'm hoping to go to University doing English where I'm not sure if I'm going to go down the teaching route or something in journalism. I'm just at college at the minute doing my A Levels (English Lit, Sociology, Media Studies and Photography)

Rantz
11-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm in my second year of college, studying Interaction Design (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interaction_design). I'm not sure yet if I'm going to focus on web design or industrial design in the third year. I haven't had a "real" job so far, just a series of freelance jobs.

rubah
11-22-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm in college to become an engineer. I'd like to work on spacecraft.

Kirobaito
11-22-2008, 11:45 PM
What inspired you to be a folk singer? That's awesome. xD I wanted to be an archaeologist, until I found it it was nothing like the Indiana Jones movies.

just because I'm better at english than you ;D
I like folk music, have a talent for singing, and enjoy playing the guitar. I can't imagine anything making me happier than singing songs and getting other people to sing them, too, for the rest of my life. The writing part is even coming along!

Shorty
11-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I like folk music, have a talent for singing, and enjoy playing the guitar. I can't imagine anything making me happier than singing songs and getting other people to sing them, too, for the rest of my life. The writing part is even coming along!

If you're successful at doing what you love, I think you have it made.

Araciel
11-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Right now I bend metal :S

I'm going into an electrician apprenticeship and hope to join the RCMP within a year. If I can't get into the RCMP I'll just continue on as an electrician.

Iceglow
11-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I work in retail mostly, I have a job working for HMV record stores, selling music video and games suits me. I have also taken a weekend job waiting tables so I can earn some more money whilst I move place and sort xmas out though will seek to just transfer HMV branch to a closer one once I've moved home.

Shlup
11-23-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm a math teacher.

Del Murder
11-23-2008, 02:08 AM
I am an actuary, which is pretty much a fancy math guy who works for the insurance industry. It's a pretty good job.

Momiji
11-23-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm majoring in Psychology. I don't know where I'm going with it just yet though.

Tavrobel
11-23-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm in college to become an engineer. I'd like to work on prevent spacecraft successes.

Yar
11-23-2008, 03:25 AM
I'm currently unemployed after recently quitting/being laid off. (I'm not exactly sure what happened.)

I put in 5 applications today. :jess:

As far as a long term career, I have no idea what I want to become. I'm planning on majoring in a foreign language, so maybe that will take me somewhere.

Bunny
11-23-2008, 03:32 AM
I am currently unemployed but I am helping my girlfriend's father build two garages as a side job.

I am not entirely sure what I would like to do. So far, my options are: History Teacher, English Teacher, Lawyer or Journalist. The last of which is only a slight possibility. The two main things preventing me from doing any of these are apathy and fear. I just want to travel around the world.

rubah
11-23-2008, 03:45 AM
I'm in college to become an engineer. I'd like to work on prevent spacecraft successes.

It appears that we are at an impasse.

Rye
11-23-2008, 03:46 AM
I am currently unemployed but I am helping my girlfriend's father build two garages as a side job.

I am not entirely sure what I would like to do. So far, my options are: History Teacher, English Teacher, Lawyer or Journalist. The last of which is only a slight possibility. The two main things preventing me from doing any of these are apathy and fear. I just want to travel around the world.

You promised we'd be teachers together. >;O

Bunny
11-23-2008, 03:59 AM

That is probably the direction I will be going. However, and be honest about this: would you put me in charge of teaching your children?

Yar
11-23-2008, 04:01 AM

That is probably the direction I will be going. However, and be honest about this: would you put me in charge of teaching your children?Yes. :greenie:

Besides, you probably can't be much worse than many of the teachers I had. Hell, one of them is in prison now for pedophilia. :-/

Shoeberto
11-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Currently I'm a peer mentor for our freshman engineering program. I have a group of students that I meet with individually once a week just to make sure everything's going well with their college experience and to give advice if they're having any kind of trouble with classes, homesickness, dorm life, etc.
For the most part we just sit around and talk about whatever, though sometimes I do have some more serious stuff to deal with. I enjoy my job pretty well.

I'm studying computer science because I'm good at programming and could see myself doing it for at least a while. My big dreams include making video games, writing/directing movies and opening up my own tabletop gaming shop. The one I want the most is probably the least feasible (movies)

fairweather
11-23-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm going to TAFE, doing the Animal Studies course..
To be a dog groomer, woo.
After that I want to do a DTS (discipleship training course) and do missionary work.

MadeOfApples
11-23-2008, 10:11 AM
I worked as a caregiver for a couple years at a Alzheimer's facility. Absolutely loved it but my coworkers were pretty useless. Got fired due to illness. =/

Than I got a job working with the developmentally disabled and hated that so I quit that after a few months to work in a factory. Which I got laid off due to budget reasons. Was a pretty boring job and I worked a 8pm to 8am shift. Kind of happy that I got laid off.

I've been taking little side jobs here and there. Built a deck last week and painted a lot of an interior of a house today.

I wanted to be a doctor until I scared myself out of it. I don't want to accidentally messed someone up...

Wanted to be a historian until I found out they mainly just sit behind decks, write, and read reports. I don't have the linguistic skills to be a history teacher... nor do I have experience coaching football...

There is a few other things I would of loved to go to school for but the whole thought of my diploma being nothing more than another form of ID to collect food stamps irks me.

So I've decided to become a carpenter. Might as well get paid to something I not only enjoy doing but already do fairly often...

Miriel
11-23-2008, 10:27 AM
I work as a photographer. Events, portraits, headshots, etc.

I also do some very very minor graphic design work.

And I have tons of stuff on the back burner. More than anything I feel like I'm an entrepreneur. I couldn't even tell you the number of business ideas I have running through my head. The latest one that I've been researching has been owning and operating a small boutique letterpress design and production company. :greenie:

sharkythesharkdogg
11-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm majoring in Psychology. I don't know where I'm going with it just yet though. My wife has the same dilemma.

I'm currently working at Quik Trip as a manager until I finish my degree in meteorology. I started that in the Air Force. Quik Trip is not a half bad company to work for. Depending on how far up they promote me before a I graduate, I might stay with them.

Clouded Sky
11-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Currently I'm a student so I'm working on the side teaching English conversation to older Japanese people. I'm majoring in Asian Studies and would like to go to graduate school for either International Relations or Communications.

The weirdest job I have had was a couple weeks ago when I worked at a butler cafe. I dressed up like a butler, served Japanese women their tea, provided some English conversation, and always addressed them as "My Princess." That was weird. Tiaras too!

I'd really like to be a photographer, but I just don't think that's possible.

theundeadhero
11-23-2008, 05:36 PM
I play bang bang with real bullets in the Army.

Jack
11-23-2008, 07:02 PM
I mix cocktails for drunk people.

I'm also studying to be an English teacher.
I also write for poetry magazines, but that's part-time. At the moment...

BardTard
11-23-2008, 07:11 PM
I work in a deli and serve really stupid people and work with really stupid people who don't even deserve such an easy job. Not joking. But that's the only place that even looked at my resume/application. Stupid places!

ScottNUMBERS
11-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Apprentice electrician.

Social Moon Firesky
11-23-2008, 10:48 PM
I want to be a mental health nurse, but I don't think anything will come of it, unfortunately.

What I am - well, will be - is a pharmacy counter assistant. I start next Saturday. Joy.

Balzac
11-23-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm back at uni studying games design (my second degree) and working as a part time freelance designer and a computer tech when my dad needs me.

As for a career, I'll probably go into grave <s>robbing</s> Digging.

Shorty
11-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Where do you hope to go with that? xD

Balzac
11-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Only way I can go, down.

Rantz
11-23-2008, 11:35 PM
:up:

kikimm
11-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I currently work at a place called Aloha Steakhouse as a hostess one day a week.

I ALSO work at In-N-Out. I started there in the summer last year and worked until I left for New Zealand this year, and when I came back, In-N-Out called me up and so now I am back.

Araciel
11-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Only way I can go, down.

I hear going down gets you ahead in almost every industry.

Shorty
11-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Only way I can go, down.

I just wanted to see if you'd give the response I wanted.

And you did. xD

Balzac
11-24-2008, 12:10 AM
I aim to please!

Agrias
11-24-2008, 07:22 AM
I can finally call myself an authenticated actor!
They use the word "Actor" instead of saying actress(f) or actor(m) anymore. Its super lame.

Anyways, when i'm not on set i'm working with rehabilitating abused and neglected doggies at a doggy day care place. Its http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif money but i do a good job and the dogs are adorable. I reaallllly love it so i hate to have to go, but if i find a long term job that pays better, i have to.

Modeling is more of a hobbie than a job but it can DEFINATELY be a weird thing to work on, depending on the shoot.

Blue Harvest
11-24-2008, 12:04 PM
With any luck I'll soon be making medical supplies for a living :D

KoShiatar
11-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm a videogame tester.

Kristen
11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
im stuck in a massage therapy school that i absoutly hate. im there till april and i cant get my money back. i wanna be in filmmaking, modeling, acting. i want the easy way out. im 20 and have gone NOWHERE.

MadeOfApples
11-24-2008, 09:05 PM
i wanna be in filmmaking, modeling, acting. i want the easy way out. im 20 and have gone NOWHERE.

If you think filmmaking, modeling, and acting are very easy careers. You're going to be in for a pleasant surprise if you decide to go that route.

Now, if you're successful at it. Than it'll be easy. But what job isn't that way?

Iceglow
11-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I have 3 jobs currently, my Primary income job is as an assistant at HMV. I do 20.5 hours - 37.5 hours weekly for them my days of work are monday - friday regardless of hours worked if I do 20.5 it's 4 hours in the evening finishing when the store closes, if I do 37.5 it's roughly from lunchtime 'til close so regardless of my hours I'm guaranteed to be working monday - friday. I have also started working part-time as a waiter for Pizza Hut, in Pizza Hut my girlfriend is also one of my bosses which is quite strange but ok I can deal with this. My hours here are primarily on the weekend, I don't do many hours which is both a blessing and a curse. My third job is not financially worth my while but I love doing it! I work as a writer/developer for an online browser based RPG, this job because of the lack of financial gain is my "hobby job" which keeps me busy on the rare days off I get and when I'm not working, this allows me to keep myself sane apart from when players insist on causing me problems.

Why the 3 jobs instead of 2? Well, I'm moving flat (or should be, we've reserved it and well need to get the tennancy agreement sorted out now) on the 3rd of Jan and one of the "requirements" to move in is that on paper me and my girlfriend must earn more than £23,000 PA between the two of us, I having no reliability to get 37.5 hours each week (which would sum up to around £20,000 PA alone) Need 2 jobs to confirm my ability to afford it.

SammieBabe
11-25-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm a Night Auditor for a 4-star hotel. According to my co-workers, that means I'm and anal-retentive witch. :)

Loony BoB
11-27-2008, 02:22 PM
IT Logistics. I walk, eat, play passenger, lift, push, type, talk, listen and read. Did I play right?

Jess
11-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Insurance. Yes, it is as boring as it sounds. :jess:

Gwawr
11-27-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm a freelance harpist (particularly for weddings and orchestral concerts), an accompanist on piano and a harp/piano/cello teacher. Aside from that, I compose, arrange and I'm a recording artist.