PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie Profile

Nice
11-24-2008, 11:04 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519XE42Y61L._SS400_.jpg

So I'm playing VP for the PSX and I'm falling in love with this game. I mean maybe I'm being sorta biased, but it seems almost perfect to me.

Anyway, that aside, I was thinking, as soon as I beat this one, I'll pick up Slimera and sometime in this life, grab a PSP and play Lenneth.

So eoff, what/how do you think/feel about this game?

Markus. D
11-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Past the rather lengthy intro (which some don't like).

I feel the game is ABSOLUTELY, perfect.

Zeromus_X
11-25-2008, 04:19 AM
I really like it, I only wish there was a scene skip so I wouldn't have to sit through the lengthly cutscenes if I want to replay the game. I mean they were nice the first time and all, but...

The VP series is one of the more creative games of tri Ace, you should definitely try Silmeria, it's very different, but still good.

Karellen
11-25-2008, 10:01 AM
One of the few great PSX JRPGs. Great graphics, fun gameplay, innovative design that didn't feel tacky, unique story telling etc. The voice acting sucks, as is to be expected from a Tri-ace game and some cutscenes go on a bit to long but that's about all I can fault it for.

Silmeria was awful though and this new DS installment looks even worse. They should have just left it alone.

Zeromus_X
11-25-2008, 08:26 PM
I thought the voice acting was very good for a PS1 game. It was certainly better than say, Star Ocean 2's...

Karellen
11-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Star Ocean 2's voice acting is about as bad as you can get before you start approaching Chaos Wars territory. That VP's voice acting isn't quite as bad isn't saying much.

Almost every spoken line in VP sounded stiff and unnatural. That's not really excused just because other games had bad voice acting at the time.

Jowy
11-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Arngrim's voice actor is a woman.

Wolf Kanno
11-26-2008, 09:05 AM
I have mix feelings regarding this game. I never played it when it originally came out and I feel this fuels my feelings more so. I really didn't like VP. I love the battle system and trying out the different character's was loads of fun. Graphically it was impressive and is still quite impressive even today. Beyond that, I didn't care for the game. The concept was neat but I didn't care for the execution and the story felt flat to me cause of that. I feel had I played it back when it came out I would have appreciated it more.

I only kept playing cause it was a traditional Tri-Ace title which to me means it has excellent gameplay but nothing else is really noteworthy. Also, the VA work in VP is far worse than SO2's but mostly cause SO2 doesn't have as many story scenes with full voice overs. I enjoy Tri-Ace's work but VP just didn't do it for me. Though its still fun to battle Lenneth and Freya in SO3 ;)

black orb
11-26-2008, 07:05 PM
>>> VP is my top one all time fav videogame ever..

Zeromus_X
11-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Almost every spoken line in VP sounded stiff and unnatural. That's not really excused just because other games had bad voice acting at the time.

You think so? I thought it sounded convincing enough; all the voices fit the characters well (with some exceptions), etc etc.

Arngrim's voice actor is a woman.

Maddie Blaustein played Arngrim, Lawfer, and Lezard. Quite a talented Voice Actor/Actress.

Tama2
11-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I too fell in love with that game on the PSX.

It's a gem.

Vermachtnis
11-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Also, the VA work in VP is far worse than SO2's but mostly cause SO2 doesn't have as many story scenes with full voice overs.

I haven't played the original release of Valkyrie Profile, but I don't know how they have anything worse than "Cwade has advance forward!" xD

Anyway I the voice acting is great in Lenneth and Silmeria, I think.

But yea the games are great. You gotta love Tri-Ace post game dungeons. For nothing else, at least in Silmeria, you got to make teams that should be physically impossible xD.

Wolf Kanno
11-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Different tastes I presume. I think part of the problem is that VP is very serious and dark so the cheesy VA only cheapens the experience whereas SO2 is more comical and lighthearted so the bad VA work makes it more funny and charming.

Btw, as far as I know, Lenneth for the PSP has the exact same VA work as the original except for the new CG cutscenes. Cause its the version I played and if that is the "new VA work" then I do not want to hear the original if Lenneth is considered an improvement.

Zeromus_X
11-29-2008, 12:06 PM
It has the exact same voice acting.

Tama2
12-06-2008, 02:46 AM
I demand more talk of VP.

black orb
12-06-2008, 06:37 PM
>>> then lets talk..

Markus. D
12-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Hrmmm, which weapon type did you favour for Freya?

Tama2
12-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Ether Laser.

Who is your favorite NPC?

krissy
12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
this is an amazing game

black orb
12-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Ether Laser.

Who is your favorite NPC?
>>> Celia, she should had been a playable character..

Which is your favorite dungeon?

Tama2
12-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Amatsu Dungeon was my favorite. That or Brahm's castle.

What is your favorite team?

black orb
12-07-2008, 02:02 PM
>>> Sunken Shrine for me.
I dont have a fav team, all the characters are equally awesome..

Vermachtnis
12-07-2008, 05:49 PM
My Favorite team was Lenneth, Aelia, Arngrim, and Jelanda.

My favorite dungeon was probably Forest of Spirits.

Tama2
12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
My Favorite team was Lenneth, Aelia, Arngrim, and Jelanda Lezard.

black orb
12-08-2008, 01:01 AM
>>> So which is your more spoiled character?..
mine is Jelanda, she is always in my party and i never send her to valhalla.. :D

Tama2
12-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Aelia... just something about her being a badass dragon and that green sexums armor. ;]

What is your least favorite character?

black orb
12-08-2008, 01:12 AM
>>> Mystina, she is too annoying..
Jelanda is kind of annoying too but she is super cute.

Tama2
12-08-2008, 01:54 AM
I never kept Grey. I just did not like the guy.

Nice
12-08-2008, 04:21 AM
MMM, Arngrim was my fav character. For the first part of the game I didn't send anyone to Valhalla. I didn't even know how to level them up. I was such a newb. =/

Got a fav villian?

I liked the vampire.

black orb
12-08-2008, 03:40 PM
>>> Bloodbane, vampire was cool too.

Any fav finishing move?

I liked Jayle`s Eternal Raid.

Nice
12-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Lenneths finisher stuck with me. (wonder why?)

Zeromus_X
12-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm partial to Jun's Senko Jin even if it's a bad move.

Roogle
12-10-2008, 07:51 PM
My favorite Purify Weird Soul is Ether Strike. Freya can do a lot of damage with only a single strike!

Mercen-X
02-12-2009, 02:33 AM
My only interest in either game is discovering all the characters. If there were a list available which stated all in-game given information for the characters, I wouldn't bother playing the games. Actually, I like the play-mechanics of Silmeria better than Lenneth. When I started playing Lenneth, I was pretty disappointed. I especially disliked the fact that the information on attainable characters was rather shallow compared to that available in Silmeria.

black orb
02-13-2009, 06:21 PM
>>> The characters in VP are far more interesting than those from VP Silmeria.
The einherjar in Silmeria were too generic.

Tama2
02-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I completely agree with black orb here. They felt like filler.

Yar
02-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I need to finish this game sometime. I have the PSP version, though. :p

HINT: Load times are decreased if you tell your PSP to keep a memory cache. :)

Markus. D
02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
I do wish the Ein had a little more storyline (Mind you, the more you unlock you get sort of a timeline of past events, which is enough) to love 'em by in Silmeria... but I suppose they've already gone through the whole death process..

Ironically, I made Zunde my main (Guy goes into cave to slay dragon, guy dies xD).

edit: I also like the gameplay of Silmeria more than Lenneth.

escobert
02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
I never got past the intro but I liked what i played. It was more do to other things than the game making me not play,

Ultima Shadow
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
*brings up thread again*

This game rules. The only two bad things about it is the fact that the "true ending" is a real pain to get (or maybe rather... almost impossible to get unless you follow a guide) and the fact that the Seraphic Gate is far too easy and short. They should at least have made it like in VP2, where the enemies get harder and harder each time you run trough it.

Fav party: Lenneth, Freya (in Seraphic Gate, otherwise Aelia), Arngrim and Mystina.

Fav move: Meteor Swarm. I just love that move... in both VP1 and VP2... and SO3 too for that matter. VERY RELEATED! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guugXQ0Ea6o&feature=channel_page)<(VP2's Meteor Swarm aka the most badass move ever)

RedPouch
04-24-2009, 10:53 AM
My only interest in either game is discovering all the characters. If there were a list available which stated all in-game given information for the characters, I wouldn't bother playing the games. Actually, I like the play-mechanics of Silmeria better than Lenneth. When I started playing Lenneth, I was pretty disappointed. I especially disliked the fact that the information on attainable characters was rather shallow compared to that available in Silmeria.
Keep in mind this was the first Valkyrie Profile in the series. When they made Silmeria, they had a much better understanding of what to do and how to handle their characterization [although most of the Einherjar still felt pretty generic and abundant to me]. Also, the manner in which the characters were introduced in VP: Lenneth was pretty unique, to the point where they didn't quite know how to handle it properly. I still appreciate their attempt though.

The voice acting isn't perfect of course, but I actually didn't mind it. I actually liked Freya's and Lenneth's voice actresses, though I didn't like the others. Also, do keep in mind that it does little use to compare the voice acting to Star Ocean 2, as I can't think of any game with worse voice acting than Star Ocean 2.

I did notice that the characters towards the beginning had deeper story, then as the game progressed, you'd get less background information on the characters you picked up. Perhaps this was due to space limitations? Or perhaps they didn't want to bog the player down with information s/he may consider irrelevant? Either way, I still appreciated the dark and more serious tone this game took as opposed to Silmeria. Down to the characters, down to the storyline, down to the music itself [which created a beautiful soundtrack in my opinion, as there are very few musics I don't enjoy from this game], Lenneth had a more serious tone than Silmeria.

My favourite in-game party: Lenneth, Lucian, Arngrim, Mystina.
My favourite Seraphic Gate party: Lenneth, Lucian, Freya, Mystina.
My favourite Dungeons: The Celestial Castle, Arionrod Labyrithn, Tower of Lezard Valeth
My favourite Purify Weird Souls: It's a cross between Nibelung Valesti and Ether Strike. I guess these are the most expected and typical attacks to love, but I can't help it. They're awesome.
My favourite attacks: Freya's Thunder Sword and Lucian's Shining Bolt are hands-down the best attacks in the entire game.
Favourite Einherjar: Mystina and Lucian. Lucian's a sweetheart, and Mystina is a vicious bitch, but in a refined and dignified way. I loved how strong and spirited she was.
Least favourite character: Badrach. I honestly didn't dislike any character in the game, except Badrach.
Least favourite dungeon: Citadel of Flame.

I loved this game so much. I replayed it twice because I just really enjoyed it. Although Valkyrie Profile 2 had more going for it, for some reason I didn't like it as much.

My favorite Purify Weird Soul is Ether Strike. Freya can do a lot of damage with only a single strike!
I know, hehe. I loved it too!

Roogle
04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Here are my statistics from my playthrough of the game a few years ago:

My Favorite In-Game Party: Lenneth Valkyrie, Arngrim, Mystina
My Favorite Seraphic Gate Party: Lenneth Valkyrie, Freya, Brahms, Lezard Valeth
My Favorite Dungeon: Brahms Castle
My Favorite Purify Weird Soul: Ether Strike
My Favorite Attacks: Lenneth Valkyrie's Moment Slide, Freya's Critical Flare, Lucian's Shining Bolt
My Favorite Einherjar: My favorite Einherjar are Arngrim and Mystina as they remain loyal to the Valkyrie despite the fact that they cannot be sent to Valhalla.
Least Favorite Characters: Janus, Kashell
Least Favorite Dungeon: Citadel of Flame

Zeromus_X
04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
The voice acting isn't perfect of course, but I actually didn't mind it. I actually liked Freya's and Lenneth's voice actresses, though I didn't like the others. Also, do keep in mind that it does little use to compare the voice acting to Star Ocean 2, as I can't think of any game with worse voice acting than Star Ocean 2.

I really enjoyed the voice acting, with the exception of maybe one or two characters (but even they at least sound hilarious so it's not all lost). I wish I would see the same VAs again, but the only one I've ever heard in stuff I play or watch nowadays is Megan Hollingshead. Ironically I thought she sounded worse as Valkyrie in the other two VP games, she just didn't put much emotion into it like the first time.

I still appreciated the dark and more serious tone this game took as opposed to Silmeria. Down to the characters, down to the storyline, down to the music itself [which created a beautiful soundtrack in my opinion, as there are very few musics I don't enjoy from this game], Lenneth had a more serious tone than Silmeria.

I think you will like VP: Covenant of the Plume. It takes the dark/morbid storyline to a whole new level, plus it re-uses a lot of music from VP1.

My favourite in-game party: Lenneth, Lucian, Arngrim/Janus/Lawfer, Mystina.
My favourite Seraphic Gate party: Lenneth, Lucian, Arngrim/Janus/Lawfer, Mystina.
My favourite Dungeons: The Celestial Castle, Palace of the Dragon, Cave of Thackus
My favourite Purify Weird Souls: Jun's Senko-jin (stream of numbers), Lawfer's Justice Stream, Aelia's Dreaded Dragon
My favourite attacks: Lucian's Shining Bolt (crystal/gem factory), Janus's Diseased Needle and Restrain Flame (poison and +50 heat)
Favourite Einherjar: Maybe Mystina, she has hilarious battle quotes. They're kind of hard to hear sometimes though.
Least favourite character: Odin, 'cause he's a jerk.
Least favourite dungeon: Tombs of Amenti, Tower of Lezard Valeth

RedPouch
04-24-2009, 08:24 PM
I love when Freya's talking to you during the Sacred Phase intervals. Especially if she's happy with the warriors you're sending her, she goes "about your performance...

It is magnificent!!!!!!" with a smiley face. She's so cute like that. :love:

Animora
11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
An old favorite of mine, i still have it and the guide. recently beat it again for the third time, i love it. I too have my personal favs.
Favorite party: Lenneth, Lucian Arngrin Jelanda/Mystina(yes i like jelanda)
Seraphic gate: Lenneth, Freya, Brahms, Lezard.
Favorite attack: Nibelung Valesti/Ether Strike (Freya rules so does Lenneth)
Favorite big magic spell: "Ye must desire respite from thy empty existence, thou shall have it!" (guess the name)