PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Final Fantasy

Flying Mullet
11-26-2008, 08:11 PM
We haven't had one of these threads in a while, so let the fanboyism commence!

Oh, and don't forget to post why you drool over the Final Fantasy that moves you!

Sorry folks, only primary numbered, non-MMORPG games are included this time!

scrumpleberry
11-26-2008, 08:17 PM
VI then IV then IX then X

PeneloRatsbane
11-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Xii and Vii, cos they are the only ones that kept me interested enough to train and complete, i used codes on the others. plus i like there characters best.

VI starts of great but slides a lil towards the end

Jiro
11-27-2008, 09:59 AM
VI because it has a lovable cast, a equip system I like, an interesting storyline and it's the one I replay most often. Just full of that nostalgia for me.
Though VII and IX are not far behind.

Crossblades
11-27-2008, 07:39 PM
VI because it has a lovable cast, a equip system I like, an interesting storyline and it's the one I replay most often. Just full of that nostalgia for me.
Though IV and IX are not far behind.

Vivisteiner
11-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Final Fantasy IX is the best game ever, so obviously its my favourite Final Fantasy. Anyone who doesn't vote for Final Fantasy IX is either a complete and utter moron or a pathological liar. In either case they deserve to be shot multiple times with a shotgun and nailed to a tree.

Jessweeee♪
11-27-2008, 10:02 PM
FFX! The story and the music are the two most important things to me in a Final Fantasy, and FFX is my favorite in both categories.

Vermachtnis
11-28-2008, 05:17 AM
V, it's generally a very entertaining game. The Advance script is hilarious. It's one of the funner turn based battle systems too. Plus, it's easy to be over powered in that game xD. Love some of town themes and Battle on the Big Bridge. Also it gave me this quote, "Now we fight like men! And women! And women who dress like men! For Gilgamesh it's Morphin' Time!"

Slothy
11-28-2008, 11:49 AM
FFVI. The best story, characters, and music in the series. The gameplay isn't the greatest, but it's a decent enough system that manages to be fun despite being fairly abuseable and easy.

It's followed closely by FFIX and XII for me. IX has great story, music and characters as well as great gameplay. FFXII wins me over in the soundtrack and story departments as well. I like the characters in it too, though the character development isn't quite as strong in some other games, but it more than makes up for it with the best RPG gameplay I've seen in 18 years of playing games.

charliepanayi
11-28-2008, 08:10 PM
FFVIII for me (just edging out FFIX). I do love all of FFVI to FFX, but the moment I first saw the opening FMV to VIII I pretty much fell in love with the game. I really enjoyed the plot (though I know it's one of the reasons the game is so 'love it or hate it'), it has a fantastic opening and ending, some great music, and I liked how certainparts of the storyline were left for the player to piece together themselves. I still grin like an idiot every time I see the ending to the game.

Anno Domini
11-28-2008, 09:35 PM
im suprised by how low the FFVII is. i thought that would be first to explode.:)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
gameplay, storyline, casting, yesss~~~:love::love::love:

Freie-Kefka
11-28-2008, 10:15 PM
FFVI is my favorite: I love almost everything about this rpg. Characters have really deep personalities; I think they are the true strenght of the game. Moreover, those who have no background (Mog) or strong personality (Gau) are at least very funny. The plot is something wonderful -though I prefear FFTs political plot-. It is definitely my game. But I couldn't live without FFVII and Tactics as well.

Saber
11-28-2008, 11:10 PM
im suprised by how low the FFVII is. i thought that would be first to explode.:)

I just cracked it open.

blackmage_nuke
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Final Fantasy VI for all the reasons stated before.

Nice
11-29-2008, 01:16 AM
For many years I was in love with the old school feel of FFVI and pretty much still am. However, for some strange reason, I fell in love with FFVIII and i really can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the battle system or the environments or maybe the so-so story. :confused: I really can't say. There's just something special about it for me.

DarkLadyNyara
11-30-2008, 08:58 AM
II and IX.

I honestly am not sure why I like II so much. I think it's that it's fun to play, and I like the story. I mean, it's not on a par with the latter FFs, but that's only to be expected. I also love the music. (And the disturbingly pretty arrogant bastard of a main villain, but that's just me.;))

IX is an all-around great game. Excellent story, music, characters. Characters with believable motives, at that. Also, it has the most addictive mini-game in FF history. :D

Depression Moon
11-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Of course the best Final Fantasy out there is IX and why I love it so much is because it inspired me in so many ways. As a child it taught me the lessons of cruelty of war, friendship, the question of our own existence and how to appreciate art. I was so obsessed with the game at 10 yrs of age and I constantly contemplated my own sequels and what not for the game until I finally decided that I would make an oath and become a game designer to create a game just as great as FFIX and hopefully whenever XIII comes out I will feel same emotions and have a new second favorite.

Vivisteiner
11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
^Aye, Sir. If you create a game that comes anywhere close to FFIX t'would be mighty impressive. Good luck!

sir helix
11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
IX Monkey dude + Dumbass Knight + Runnaway Princess + Awsomeness Blk mage + Rat faced Dragoon + Little Brat summoner + Strong gotee toting redhead + A transexual Chef thingy + A planet of mankey ppl = ONE KICK ASS GAME

Wolf Kanno
12-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I can't cast a vote on this. In the past I use to have a ranking system but in recent years its started to fall apart and on any given day it will fall into any one of these titles. My top FFs are the ones that had the greatest impact on me and generally changed my view in some way. The games that really inspired me and showed me the true essence of the Final Fantasy Experience.

The four titles in question are IV, VI, IX, and XII. :cool: Granted titles like I, III, and V also had an impact on me but not on the level that these four titles did.

IV was the first FF I owned and despite having played through half of VI before touching this game, it really changed my views on gaming and fantasy. Its story was groundbreaking for its time and even today its hard to find stories about villains seeking redemption to be told this well (ignoring some of the cheese of course). Sure it pulled your heart strings a bit, only to turn around and give you a Disney style ending, but these are characters we grew to love despite not realizing it.

Seeing everyone come back for the finale filled me with emotions I didn't think I would have. I had not realized until then how much I cared about each of them. It also had so many grandiose moments. Despite technology limitations, I believe it was still easy to feel the grandiose aura of such moments as Cecil's rebirth as a Paladin, the twins sacrifice, Tellah's death, the battle with the Giant of Babil and the final battle against Zeromus. The serious weight of those moments could still be felt from such tiny pixelated sprites and over a decade later. :onnanoko:

VI was the first FF I had ever played and the first traditional console RPG. This game changed my life. It not only was a breathtaking adventure with wonderful ideas and a beautiful and memorable cast that still has not been beat today; but it also changed my view of what a game could be. Before VI, games were just fun entertainment. After VI, I realized that gaming could be art with as much of an impact as great literary and cinematic works.

A wonderful cast, an amazing story, beautiful designs, and excellent direction in story and gaming. VI was the first time I felt for fictional game characters. I wanted to help Terra who was lost in her own identity. I cheered for Locke as he tried to save Rachel and pursue Celes. I was understanding in regards to Sabin's desire for freedom and I admired Edgar for sacrificing his own, so his brother could have his wish. My heart wrenched as Cyan watched his family die and then see their spirits pass on. I wanted to comfort Setzer as he reminisced about Darly; and my heart dropped into despair as I watched Celes try to take her own life cause she had finally given up...

To this day, very few games can touch me on this emotional level and it happens every time I play it. Its not just nostalgia its just the games ability to draw me into its world so beautifully. An ability it has had for me for over a decade now. Its apocalyptic plot twists, its enchanting and genre defining soundtrack, its cinematic scope, and its lovable but menacing villain who showed that evil does not have to be something supernatural, it exist even now in the real world and perhaps no evil force is more terrifying and dangerous than the evil that is man. :mog:

IX was a game I had been waiting for since VI. VII and VIII were games I appreciated more on a technological level than for story or character (with one exception in regards to VIII). They were flashy but it always felt too fake to me. Like the games were trying really hard to outdo themselves and impress me. It made for nice eye candy but I wanted something with a little less pretension.

I wanted something to combine the solid story mechanics and well thought out characters of old games but combine it with the technology and flair of recent titles. IX is not just a game that goes back to its roots; to me I agree with Hironobu Sakeguchi when he said that FF IX it the quintessential FF. The one that defines what the series really is.

Bringing together a wonderful ensemble of characters, a rich world filled with wonder and inspiration, a fantastic musical score, and a plot that was perfectly executed. It balanced nicely the need for action and the need for calm, its characters were more down to earth and though many had world shattering problems, they dealt with them in a much more down to earth way. The cast was so goofy at times that the serious moments didn't feel like some forced emotional exchange in some sad attempt at being "artsy" yet they were so likable and relatable that when those moments happen; you felt like falling down and crying right beside them. A good cast with depth is not one that has a well though out back story filled with history and intrigue, its a cast that can make you feel for their plight no matter how silly it seems or whether their motivation can be explained in a simple sentence rather than pages.

The game wonderfully tied in its theme of Meaning of Life. It never felt forced like VIIs but it was something the player was constantly aware of unlike VIIIs. Each character walked a different path and found different meanings. Yet it wasn't something that was really spelled out for the player, its just something you figure out as you play along.

Combine these elements with good gameplay and the best FMV cutscenes in the series and I feel its easy to understand how Sakeguchi could make such a bold statement for a title that is hounded for being "unoriginal" or "kiddy". Its depth is there you just need to look past the shallow aspects of perception and realize that even though it took so many elements from previous FFs unlike those FFs it did them right. :quina:

XII restored my faith in the series. The last few SE titles had gone into a direction I really felt I couldn't support. At the time I was beginning to feel that FF could no longer be counted as the "groundbreaking innovative series that all other rpg were judged". By 2006, I felt that not only had a few different series finally pass FF in these regards but that FF itself had lowered its standards to become the formualtic filth that crowded the market. XII was a game I was waiting for, I didn't want to get my hopes up for it, but I knew it would be the title that would make or break the franchise for me. It was being designed by a team that had never let me down. Matsuno had made two other titles that to me, rank up as not only the greatest games, but some of the best stories ever written. Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story.

Yet, XII had many elements I was wary of. The gambit system sounded like a really bad idea and the first pics of pretty boy Vaan were not too inspiring. At times it seemed like XII fell right into the formula of other RPGs. Not to mention the horrendous opinions that spawned from the poorly done demo. When the game was finally released, I let my fears go away and began to play. What transpired was 160+ hours transcendence.

Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes like us and at times feel like it really exists just over the horizon. Its filled with people you know or could easily meet on the streets, even though some have scales or pom-poms. Exploring Ivalice is exploring a real world, just around each horizon is another exotic location with cities that are bustling with people. Monsters roam and interact with each other, each person is unique from one another and every step is filled with history. Ivalice is aplace filled with wonder yet to be found and unlike other titles, by the end you know you've only seen a glimpse of what is really out there.

Its cast, though told in a more muted way has more depth and reality to them than the cardboard cut-outs of other FFs. Basch is a wonderful tragic hero not because his story is outright ghoulish or beyond understanding but because it feels more "real" than other characters. Lady Ashe's journey and characterization is not only beatifully told but it is explained and revealed in way that allowes the player to understand the gravity of her decision, to see how personal it is. We were given a cast not solely placed on the rails of archtype but genuinely broke out and showed us that they were real people.

Its story, though lacking the complexity of other Matsuno titles; still has great bearing and strength cause its not just about the events that are transpiring currently ,but its also about the weight of events that had transpired long before; with heroes we may never know the names of. Even at the end, we understand that what has transpired is not the end of the matter but another link in the chain of history. Its story and world are tied to history and created a level of realism never felt in previous titles. It even goes so far as to create a scenario where the heroes do not battle to save the world. Yet what they fight for is worth more than just the world; and I feel that the philosophical message speaks greater depth than just merely trying to stop some narcissistic madman with a god complex from destrying life on the planet. Sometimes, fighting for ideals can be just as powerful.

Though it has its flaws, XII to me was a game that took a few steps in the right direction. Though it lacks the balance of IX it plunged us into a new way of perceiving things and now its up to fate to see where we go from here. :choc:

Obsidian
12-01-2008, 04:04 PM
VI. It does to RPGs what the movie Aliens did to really kickass movies.

hhr1dluv
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I have now played at least one hour of all these titles, and I pretty much can't see myself disliking any of them. I am such a fangirl. (One FF that I DO dislike...Dirge of Cerberus. :shudders: ).

However, I still stand by FFX being my favorite, since it was the first one I ever played. Seriously, that game and Kingdom Hearts changed my life -- now I actually play video games. :)

Elskidor
12-02-2008, 02:33 AM
VI

blackmage_nuke
12-02-2008, 11:05 AM
With all these VI votes you'd wonder why the VI forum is so idle compared to VII or VIII

Rocket Edge
12-06-2008, 02:42 PM
VIII had such an unbelieveable impact on me. It just brought my head into a completely differant world. I thought everything within reason seemed perfect to me. It's the greatest game i've ever played.

Crimson
12-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Must....choose......GAHH I CANT DO IT!

I decided a long time ago after much debate, alchohol, and headbashing that I have no favourite FF, they all share a special place in my heart.

Although I suppose FFVIII and FFIX stand a tiny bit above the rest for me because FFVIII was the first one I played that got me into the joy of FF and FFIX was the first I ever actually completed.

champagne supernova
12-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I said VIII. Yes, it has it's flaws, but I enjoyed its characters and story immensely. I cannot explain why I like it so much, to be honest (and I'm quite surprised that it is currently leading).

After that, I don't know. XII had its moments but I have too many gripes with it for it to be second. I liked VII and X. The ones before Playstation were enjoyable, but considering that I missed them when they originally came out, they can't compare with the new ones (call me shallow, but I can't really enjoy a game with sprites running around.)

I think VII must be my second favourite, followed by X. The others I really can't rank. Oh, and before I get shot with a shotgun (or whatever fate someone around here threatened), I haven't played IX, so can't say.

Ultros
12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
hmmm thats a tough one as the ff games are really great but i wud have to go with ffx.

the story and the world and the characters all suck you in. you really feel like your a part of spira and changing it!! :choc2:

Stormie BluJay
12-10-2008, 10:50 PM
As much as I love Reno and Cloud... and Rude and a lot of characters in FFVII, I like the story in VIII better. I love all the characters from both games equally, though, excluding Yuffie. *cringe*

Cleric
12-13-2008, 02:39 AM
I picked IX. Even though Seven was the first I had ever played, and what got me into the series, I'd say nine is the most balanced and fun. I liked the ability system, it had a lot of summonings which was a good thing. Chocobo Hot and Cold is one of my favorite side quests ever. Also, Hilda Garde and the Invincible were two of my favorite airships ever.

MaV
12-13-2008, 11:15 PM
I'll choose VIII. Sure it has a lot of problems, and a major lack of characterization, but the first time I played it I was completely wrapped in it. It was hard to choose it against other favourites like IX, or VI but in the end- it'll go to my first Final Fantasy. :)

Rye
12-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Final Fantasy IX is my very favorite. The world is magical, I love almost every character, the fighting system is so great. The love story is also my personal favorite. <3

Takara
12-17-2008, 07:45 AM
It remains a mix of IV and VI for me. I voted IV though, because it needed more love on the poll.

Freya
12-20-2008, 07:21 PM
FFIX for sure. It's the reason I joined this here forum. I love the characters and the whole political story. Plus the love story is entirely too cute :3

Dr.M
12-28-2008, 02:26 PM
X it was the first one i played and became a part of me when i was 12. my last years of childhood innocents was with that game. hit me very emotionlly

The Turk
01-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I love Final Fantasy VI, but VII is my favourite game ever and I know it like the back of my hand lol. Final Fantasy IX is my 3rd favourite. I don't really care for the rest of them.

Momiji
01-18-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd have to say FFIV for nostalgic reasons. It has 2 of my very favorite characters (Cecil and Rydia), the music was memorable, and the difficulty was just right.

Second place is a tie between VI and III. III was the pioneer of the variable (yet definable, not the whole 'make your own class' system from II) job class system, which I loved, and VI was the only one, in my opinion, that broke the job class system and didn't suck for doing so.

I guess I have to give an honorable mention to X as well, since it was technically my 'first' Final Fantasy I completed. I'll admit that I wasn't crazy about the sphere grid system, but the gameplay was fun and it didn't have many boring parts that I dread when replaying games (there's always that part in a game where when replaying, you're all UGH I HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN?! :p).

The Man
01-18-2009, 06:04 PM
FFVI. It was the game that got me into the series, and it's free from the inane melodrama that ruined a good number of main series FFs since it was released (of the ones I've played, IX was the exception).

That said, what's with the lack of Tactics on this poll?

Cleric
01-18-2009, 10:36 PM
FFVI. It was the game that got me into the series, and it's free from the inane melodrama that ruined a good number of main series FFs since it was released (of the ones I've played, IX was the exception).

That said, what's with the lack of Tactics on this poll?

I thought that too because if Tactics was an option, I most certainly would have picked it. However, I went back to find the answers and...

We haven't had one of these threads in a while, so let the fanboyism commence!

Oh, and don't forget to post why you drool over the Final Fantasy that moves you!

Sorry folks, only primary numbered, non-MMORPG games are included this time!

As said by Flying Mullet himself lol.

Wolf Kanno
01-19-2009, 05:14 AM
Tactics, so would have gotten my vote... :cry:

Darkswordofchaos
01-23-2009, 07:28 PM
My favorite is VII because it is the best story with the most twist and the best characters. XII runs a close seecond if only for the beautiful images and fantastic gameplay.

Bastian
01-24-2009, 06:16 AM
IV. It epitomizes FF to me: wizards, castles, bards, swords.

I've recently discovered I really don't care for VI as much as I thought I did.

ShadowScar Knight
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
FFIII plz. I don't care which version, I love it, though FFVI is close...

Yes, I am a retro nerd. Sue me ):

Unstoppable Pig
01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
My vote goes for VI.

I have played through all those FF in the poll and also Revenant Wings and Mystic Quest. I havent played Tactics, one day when I have money I will buy PSP and Tactics.

Yeah VI my favorite for obvious reasons: best story, great soundtrack, best cast of characters( VII and IV come closest,XII might too if the main team itself was cooler),best levelling up system, and monster desing is great too. Bad monster design FF is VIII. It has lots of weird crappy looking monsters.

Rest of the FF are pretty much on the same line, VII,IV,III and XII being a bit better and X being worst. More about this in "least favorite FF".

jerrid warren
03-06-2009, 04:33 AM
tactics to me though is actual the best

captkrill
03-25-2009, 03:13 PM
IX is the favorite for me...

Vivi is freaking awesome...

RedPouch
04-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Gosh, it's so hard to decide for me, because I really like all of them. I don't want to make another wall of text like I just did in the "Least Favourite" topic, so I'll try to be brief.

Like a lot of people here, I'm surprised that FF Tactics wasn't listed, because it was very good story-wise in my opinion. That said, I'm having a really difficult time deciding between FF IV, VI, and IX. For me it's between those three.

IV - I felt that FF IV just had this classic feel in a really good way, which gave it a lot of charm. As Bastian said, it really brought the classic concepts of "wizards, castles, bards, and swords" out, but in a nice way that was very fresh. It also had really nice music, which adds to the experience [everything counts!], as well as nice scenery [considering the graphics of the time].

VI - Even though the graphics were better, the scenery wasn't as nice overall. Still, this game had such wonderful characterization as well as quite a large margin for customization [as FF II did in a different way], which made the game quite fun. Although its story wasn't quite as "epic" as a few of the other Square-titles, it was still presented quite nicely and was also well thought-out.

IX - To me, this one combines a wonderful soundtrack, wonderful scenery, good characterization, as well as a very in-depth, wonderful story. Even though I would've loved to have Beatrix [she's so awesome] instead of that annoying fat rusty pile of tin [yes I find Steiner a bit annoying], I still enjoyed the entire array of characters that integrate themselves in Zidane's path. It also had great villains, and even an entirely new world, as well as the classic "world poison" that is manifested in this game as "Mist", which is a pretty cool concept in itself.

When it comes down to it however, I think I'll have to pick FF IX. For me, this one is just a fine hair above the other two. I know that I said I was going to try and not post a wall of text, but I ended up doing that anyways. Sorry! I tried!

Dark Angel Kira
04-17-2009, 09:50 PM
It has to be ff9, great storyline, great characters, as you can tell i love it!!! :) Best game ever!!

Rebellious Eagle
04-19-2009, 05:18 PM
VI is my absolute favorite because of the fantastic story and characters, but V and X are really close, too. I'm a sucker for games with some kind of humor, and Bartz's weird lines and Tidus's stupidity always made me laugh. :<
EDIT: Ahh, I re-discovered III and now I can't decide which FF I like the best out of those 4. -_-

Biukin
05-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Imma go with X because of he voice acting and also the spere grid i thought that was sweet (Lulu doing 99999 with a doll)

KHHacker6595
06-12-2009, 01:48 AM
definteltly IX, yah VII was amazing, but IX brought a classic feel to the game with giving it an updated look and feel. i love IX for its characters, story, and every other aspect to the game. If KH was listed even thought its only half a final fantasy game i would have picked that. KH was brilliantly created with the hear, body, and soul concept and the way movies were turned into planets. For some wierd reason IX reminded me of KH, maybe its because of the look, humor, and story.

Depression Moon
06-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I could probably see about about the look and humor, but the story... two completely different sides of the spectrum.

Edge7
07-08-2009, 07:15 AM
FF4 is my favorite, but if you asked me which ff is the best in the series, I'd say 6. 6 is the better game, but 4 felt like one of the novels I'd stay up late just to read when I was younger. It's hard to explain. 4 just had this sort of charm.

G13
07-25-2009, 01:32 AM
^ Awesome sig!

VII. I don't think a reason is needed.

Aydin
08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I love FFIX...

Medi
08-04-2009, 09:58 AM
I have a deep love for every game in the series (except VII and II, as stated in the other thread). I even like aspects X-2. Each of 'em has its own good qualities, and they're fun to play.

However, if I had to choose a favorite, it's definitely IX. What I look for most in a game is a good atmosphere - it's why I'm so into Metroid. There's something delightfully cozy about Gaia. Each location was wonderfully rendered, and the background music was always a perfect compliment (except in Gargan/Fossil Roo. What on earth was that song?). Just the design of the world map was endearing, so much that I actually cared when it was all covered in mist.

I found all the characters to have more lifelike personalities than in any other game. They were unique and vivid. I found myself admiring 'em all. I dug all facets of the story.

I could elaborate some more as to why I'm so enamored by FFIX, but really, let's be honest here. I truly only need to say one thing: Chocobo Hot & Cold.

Aerisfanatic
08-05-2009, 01:22 AM
VII, for obvious reasons.

Bunny
08-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Final Fantasy VI will probably remain my favorite in the series for a long while. The newer generation of games tries too hard and focuses on the wrong things when compared to the majority of the older generation. IX was about the closest to come to a game I actually enjoyed playing rather than a chore.

Edgar
08-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Not this again >.<

As usual, FFVI forever.

Wait, FFIX is leading? This is the first time I've seen it.

TurkSlayer
08-18-2009, 05:41 AM
I picked FFVII, just because thats my default answer and because I'm just a nostalgic little fanboy like that. I love all of them though, V, VIII and XII aside.

I am really excited by all the FFIX love though. I always considered that one by far the most under-appreciated.

Gennosuke
08-18-2009, 08:51 AM
It has to be VII for me, everything works in that game for me, from the manga based imagey, to the PERFECT soundtrack, amazing storyline, i just love this game :love:

seiferalmasy2
08-20-2009, 03:39 PM
VII.

Plot was amazing and long, the game was the longest playability for me. Gameplay great. The OST was amazing. I consider it the greatest game ever made.

The only things wrong with it are dated graphics and its dubious translation (which are being corrected by me and fans for PC version).

In order I class them:

VII, X, VIII, IX, VI, IV, V, XII, X-2

(Can't really compare them with I and II, and I haven't played remake of III or XI)

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 11:23 PM
For it's amazing characters, amazing soundtrack, and amazing storyline- FFVI. Trailing close behind is Final Fantasy IX, and then VIII.

Shiny
08-21-2009, 06:13 AM
FF6, 7 and 10 are my favs.

I used to like 9 a lot too when I was younger, but not as much as the above. 9 was my first.

Orlandeau
08-21-2009, 12:43 PM
where the hell is Final Fantasy Tactics :mad2:

well, i guess that'll be FF VII then, my fav final fantasy aside from FFT.

FFT, VII, VI, IX, VIII, IV, II, I in order. i can't say for the others though, coz i didn't have ps2 :eep:

Flying Arrow
09-30-2009, 12:49 AM
VII is easily my Final Fantasy of choice, followed closely by V and VI. XII gets some major, major points for rejuvenating my interest in the series (ironically, because it provided such a different experience than the more recent entries) and for generally being such a fantastic game - arguably, in a lot of ways, it's the best in the series. III (the original Famicom/NES) is quite good, too, although it's nowhere close to my favourite.

I do want to mention that I'm fairly surprised at the love that IX has been getting. I by no means consider IX to be a bad game, but I remember on its release how much flak it received in the FF message board community. On the flipside, VII seems to have becoming the series whipping boy (despite still being popular, it gets a lot of hate). Interesting how things change. I'm curious as to how many IX fans on this board played the game on release (2000 was it?) and how many caught up more recently.

Wolf Kanno
09-30-2009, 05:23 AM
I found this pretty odd too about VII and IX being reversed.

I think VII's bashing is pretty obvious cause its due to a backlash from its overwhelming popularity. IX is possibly the same deal as I never met another IX fan til I joined this forum.

charliepanayi
09-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Hasn't pretty much every FF game since post-FFVII though got loads of flak on release on messageboards etc. As for people hating FFVII, frankly I still see a lot less of that than I see people slating FFVIII/FFX/FFXII.

Flying Arrow
10-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Hasn't pretty much every FF game since post-FFVII though got loads of flak on release on messageboards etc.

That's a good point. Maybe it's just the message boards in particular that I read/have read in the past that managed to stick me with the notion that IX is particularly disliked. Still, though, I find it interesting how IX now seems to be a lot of people's favourite. Maybe the novelty of going-back-to-the-roots (although the game is still firmly a PSX-era RPG with superficial 16-bit dressing, in my opinion) needed some time to kick in with the crowd.

WarofWrath
10-07-2009, 07:10 AM
easily 9.all because of Vivi and Freya....well not all but mainly

Forsaken Lover
10-20-2009, 07:05 AM
FFIX. It had the most developed villain in the series, starred my favorite couple in the series and had a breathtakingly beautiful world and soundtrack.

Young Mally
12-13-2009, 04:18 AM
Lets see who the best tem in the NFL.....COLTS OR SAINTS its a vote ppl and wats your fav FF Game

Christmas
12-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Final Fantasy VI. :bigsmile:

Young Mally
12-13-2009, 04:23 AM
What do you like about it

Christmas
12-13-2009, 04:28 AM
The characters and especially the story. It is really epic especially for a game of that time. 1994 was it? :bigsmile:

Young Mally
12-13-2009, 04:34 AM
Idk but its all about that FF8 Baby!!!!! that game went hard man forreal

Kalim
12-13-2009, 07:54 PM
FF VIII. I know a lot of people hate it, but it's really always been my favorite. Me being the military fanboy I am, and the story's heavy reliance on military organizations, The world always just felt more real to me. I know they introduce Ultimecia later on, but your first enemy, Galbadia, isn't some demonic super-villian. It's just another country, looking after it's interest instead of being evil for evil's sake.

The characters may be a little stereotyped on the surface, but they really have an incredible depth to them. That, and the backstory. I could fill in most of the FF VIII world history for the past 60 years.

Those little hidden tidbits don't jump out at you, either. They're there for those who are really interested and look for them.

Lorem Ipsum
12-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Probably my favorite is X. Interesting story, has possibly the best music...and the sphere grid was pretty different for its time.

Lunatic_High
01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I voted Final Fantasy VI, it was the second Final Fantasy I played the first being Final Fantasy VII.

The main reason it's my favourite is mainly because of both the brilliant storyline and the games music.

Karifean
01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Final Fantasy VII, though I must admit, I haven't played many different FFs. It's hard for me to decide whether I like VII, VIII or X most, but I just hated Confuse in VIII and Lightning Dodge in X. Well, in VII I hate the lack of challenges in the endgame. Emerald and Ruby are easily defeated. But I just LOVE that story, all its backgrounds, the sidequests (chocobo breeding :D) and the possibility of easily modding it. ;)

Rodney
01-16-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm surprised by the love for Zidane and Garnet's love story in 9. I thought it was easily the WORST love story with Tidus and Yuna and 10 being the best.

That brings me to my favorite. For me, I'm stuck choosing from among 6, 10, and 12 as my favorite.

6 had a good story, and it had many fun characters, most of which actually had backstories and a good number of them had their own subplots within the main plot. It had many I'd definitely be friends with (Terra, Locke, Celes, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan, Gau, Strago, Relm, Mog), and the villain, while crazy, was probably one of the most exciting ones of the series! Music was excellent, as well, and even though many of the subquests were saved for the WoR portion of the game, I still enjoyed going through many of them!

10 was the pioneer of the PS2 generation. It was the game's first foray into having voice actors, the graphics were wonderful, the characters (to me) were sympathetic and relatable (except for Tidus's hate for his father clearly because of his obvious Oedipal complex), the battle system was wonderful (though I probably wasn't as huge a fan of the Sphere Grid system as some), the story was good (though I didn't care for the twist of Tidus and Zanarkand being dreams of the fayth). And the villain's motives you could at least somewhat get. (Seymour felt so much pain from losing his mother and didn't want anyone else to experience any more pain and sorrow like that. Not a GOOD reason, but at least it was a reason.) Plus, I felt for everyone when they went through the pain they went through in the game. And finally, Tidus and Yuna were my favorite love story ever. Such a beautiful story told between two of the them. MUCH better than the contrivance of Zidane and Garnet's.

12 I've always appreciated certain aspects of. The gameplay is probably my favorite. The gambit system is a great asset. You, as the player, can have more freedom of movement and just let the characters play for you in battles. The story was way too short, but it was still a good one. And we had more freedom with when we could do subquests and hunt for better weapons and/or armor. And the Hunts were one of the especially good parts of the game. It also had the first Cid to be a villain rather than a hero or an ally to the heroes. My one gripe is the lack of character development. I think Ashe, Balthier, and Basch are the only three to get developed at all, with Vaan, Fran, and Penelo languishing in the background. Also, the chemistry among the group members is noticeably horrible (or perhaps horribly noticeable). I respect that some people like that freshness of the party not entirely being buddy-buddy with one another, but the closeness of past casts is something I liked. You just don't buy that they all became friends at the end, despite Vaan's assertions as to the contrary. In any case, there's some great music, and the main villain isn't out to destroy the world, for once, but merely save it from the rule of some godlike forces. All in all, it's one of my favorites.

On the whole . . . I'll go ahead and give 10 the vote.

Sephiroth
03-01-2010, 08:53 PM
I. Compilation of Final Fantasy VII - Final Fantasy VII-1 and everything (Sephiroth, story, atmosphere, characters, graphics, world, mini games, everything, Sephiroth)
II. Final Fantasy VI & IX (story, atmosphere & characters | Kuja, story, atmosphere, characters, world, mini games, Kuja)
III. Fabula Nova Crystallis - Final Fantasy XIII (Lightning, story, atmosphere, characters, graphics, main theme, Lightning)
IV. Final Fantasy X (story, atmosphere, characters, world, mini games)
V. Final Fantasy IV (story, atmosphere, characters)

Tyrant57
03-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Final fantasy VIII got my vote, it was my first ff and I remember pretending I was sick so I could stay home from school to play it. I hot it on Easter and I ate my ass of with chocolate while playing it. I've wasted many many sweet months on that game and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Kenshin IV
03-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm quite happy to see Nine get so much love. I always figured that was the most unappreciated in the series.

Kuroshima
04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Final Fantasy tactics, but it's not up there, so I'll say Final Fnatasy I just cause I like originals.

Hot Shot
04-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I went for X, but tbh, for me it's between IX and X. Both of these FFs felt like an adventure which immersed the player into it. IX went back to its classic FF crystal routes and it had amazingly colourful and interesting characters and FF X felt new and refreshing with a great cast of characters, a totally new and awesome battle system and amazing voice acting. Simply because X immeresed me more (probably due to the voice acting and the emotions it evoked) i voted for X, but it is just the slightest of prefernces.

No.78
04-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I am so glad 9 is overtaking 7!!!

I'm sort of ashamed to admit that 10 is my favorite, but I do love 9 and 13... And 5 and 6, too. I can go old skool. :)

-JJ-
04-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Never thought I'd choose FFIX...

When I was young, I was a huge fanboy of FFVII and I kinda thought it would always be my favourite even though i played all of the series afterwards.

But FFIX is just what a final fantasy should be,
The simple way of learning abilities, the cast, the storyline
I mean, it never really loses it's edge.

FFVI, FFV and FFIV were also Amazing.
But that can't count as a surprise...
If you don't like FFIX,
Then what's the matter with you?

Ask yourself... haha.

Omni-Odin
04-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Final Fantasy VII for me. That shiz was the bomb the first time I played it. Blew my freakin mind. After that, Final Fantasy X, VIII, IX, XIII, V, II, VI, I, and III in order. Never played IV.

Rantz
05-26-2010, 07:37 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/132339-favourite-final-fantasy.html