PDA

View Full Version : Last Remnant 360 game

Iceglow
11-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Ok so has anyone got this yet, or played anything from it. I know it's a square/enix game and I'm curious because I saw the trailer for it at the cinema tonight and I'm interested...

Ouch!
11-30-2008, 03:39 AM
Reviews seem decisively mediocre.

Krelian
11-30-2008, 09:34 AM
And totally not understandable from my perspective. I've rarely seen a game where reviews and user impressions were so far apart as with this one.

The game is fun. It does have flaws like a weak technical execution. Textures take a long time to load, many loading screens, etc. If you install it on your hard drive most of it becomes irrelevant, though.
On the other hand it has fast and challenging battles, good music and an interesting world. I still can't say much about the story because I'm not very far yet, but it looks promising too.

So I think this is one of the most underrated games this generation. It was developed by the same team who made the SaGa games, so that could explain some of the bad reviews, as those games are mostly a matter of taste. The Last Remnant is much more beginner friendly, though.

Tasura
11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Grarg, I've been waiting for this game since I saw the trailer x months ago =/. And when it finally comes out, I'm penniless. But oh well, I'll get it next semester.

Vivisteiner
11-30-2008, 09:00 PM
From what I've heard, it seems that the Western reviewers are playing a different version of the game from everybody else.

Then again, I can't tell ya since I haven't seen it being played or anything. All I do know is that it averaged 60/100 on Metactitic, but Famitsu gave it 38/40.

Slothy
11-30-2008, 09:32 PM
From what I've heard, it seems that the Western reviewers are playing a different version of the game from everybody else.

Then again, I can't tell ya since I haven't seen it being played or anything. All I do know is that it averaged 60/100 on Metactitic, but Famitsu gave it 38/40.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that you not only have fairly limited control over units in battle, but the game just does stupid things left and right in it's attempts to make controlling battles easier. In my experience, Japan seems far more forgiving of games that practically play themselves than western gamers and reviewers, especially in recent years. In fact, if even half of what is said about it in the IGN review is true (such as right on this page: IGN: The Last Remnant Review (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/933/933121p2.html) ), then I'd say it probably deserves the scores it's getting.

Frankly I was never that interested in the game from the start, and I'm even less interested now.

Krelian
11-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm not saying the game is perfect and I don't completely agree with Famitsu's 38/40 rating, but neither do I agree with IGN's 5.3. To be honest I find that rating ridiculous. I wasn't in the least interested in the game before it came out, the videos didn't look appealing and nothing I read seemed to indicate a better than mediocre game. In the end I bought it because of overwhelming positive comments over at Neogaf and Gamefaqs. And the fact is I'm enjoying this game a lot.

The control in battle is limited, that's true, but it's not like your units do whatever they want. You give them orders and they follow them. You can influence the orders you can give by changing formations or units and the amount of AP and HP play a role as well. Anyway, I like the battle system, it's fast and fun.

It would be a shame if people were to avoid this game because of negative reviews. If possible, you should try it out. Maybe rent it and see for yourself it you like it or not. It's probably not for anybody, but chances are you'll like it if you like playing RPGs.

JKTrix
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM
This should technically be in 'General Square-Enix', since this *is* a purely Squenix game.
*warn'd*

I got this game last week (after buying it for $34 off of Amazon), though it was the day before I left the state for thanksgiving. I played it for a long, long long long time that day. I can't say exactly how long, because the game has no 'clock' to say how long you've been playing! Which is something pretty major for me.

Anyway, I kinda like it. I was confused as all hell for the first few hours because the battle system is very wacky, but I did get the groove of it after a while. I don't think a rental state-of-mind will do justice to it, since it will take a long long time not only for the system to click, but until you actually become able to properly customize your unions and explore the system. This 6 hours (or so) barrier could be taken as a negative, and I can't particularly argue with that.

There's a lot going on. The battle system is both deceptively complex *and* deceptively simple. Simple in the sense that you give out very basic commands to each union during the course of battle, yet complex in that the way you set up your union plays a major role in what your union can actually *do*. It is confusing to not be able to control every action of each individual when you want to, but I'm beginning to understand how to exploit the system.

For example, the IGN review mentions not being able to heal when he wanted to, there are several things to take into consideration:
-does he have anyone in that particular union who *can* heal, be it through items or an arts?
-if yes to either or both, do you have any healing items stocked? do you have enough AP to use a healing art?

It does seem needlessly complex, and would indeed be much better if there were a normal menu option to just heal. There are a lot of things about the system I don't like. Overall though, I really like the vibe of it.

When it comes to RPGs, the gameplay system is one of the major draws for me. Anyone who pays attention to me here would know I'm not really a fan of the older Final Fantasys--the gameplay was kind of boring and I didn't care about any of the stories. Though FF12 came with something very different, and I really enjoyed it. I really like Dragon Quest (4 at the moment) too-- while the gameplay is even more boring than FF (though very fast) and the story is also kind of 'bleh', it just gives me a good feeling. Last Remnant's hook for me right now is the Union and Battle system that is making my brain work to try and figure them out. The story I'm not too concerned with at the moment, and I kind of have low expectations for JRPGs of this style in general. It's a good looking game when it wants to be, though it has some serious, constant (but not gamebreaking) graphical hiccups. I haven't had the displeasure of running the game without it being installed, so I haven't experienced just how bad it could be.

Overall though, I definitely would *not* have purchased this game for $60 off of a game store shelf. Thank god for Amazon selling this game for so cheap (it's currently going for $29.95.... THIRTY DOLLARS for a brand new 360 game), I'd certainly say it's at least worth what I paid for it.

Vyk
12-04-2008, 02:44 PM
From what I heard it sounds like an amped up Dragon Force type of game. Which I've not seen any games in existence since to compare it to. You had little sprite units you gave commands to and sent them at each other. It was terribly fun. Maybe I'll give this game a try later on..

Krelian
12-04-2008, 04:09 PM
There's some similarity, but it's not the same exactly. You should just see for yourself, though. I'm enjoying it very much and I also liked Dragon Force.

Depression Moon
12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
You saw a preview of this at the theatres, wow I didn't know they started showing video game ads at the movies! I saw a review of it on X-play and they only gave it a 2/5. I thought this game was also supposed to be on the PS3 as I remember reading a preview of it a while back and everyone on here thought that the game was going to have a demo of FFXIII with it.

Vivisteiner
12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
^It is for the PS3, but it got delayed because they were having technical issues. Must have been real bad technical issues, seeing as the Xbox version supposedly didn't have the technical issues. :p

Cereal
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
i was considering buying this game for the pc, but the game gets low ratings.

.......hmm nah, ill give it a shot. shouldnt rely on those reviews.

Bolivar
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
^It is for the PS3, but it got delayed because they were having technical issues. Must have been real bad technical issues, seeing as the Xbox version supposedly didn't have the technical issues. :p

A member of the development team was asked if the PS3 version is still in development and they gave a no comment.

Honestly I'm not even that interested if it gets ported anymore due to how mediocre the game was received. And I was actually pretty excited about it before.

Cereal
04-17-2009, 11:58 AM

A member of the development team was asked if the PS3 version is still in development and they gave a no comment.

Honestly I'm not even that interested if it gets ported anymore due to how mediocre the game was received. And I was actually pretty excited about it before.

plus they have made improvements already in the pc version, but still failed to satisfy gamers. another jump to a console wouldnt help, i guess.

Bolivar
04-17-2009, 10:01 PM

plus they have made improvements already in the pc version, but still failed to satisfy gamers. another jump to a console wouldnt help, i guess.

yeah, probably not. Although there is starting to be a tradition of putting the best and last version of a game on the ps3, but with the reviews about the gameplay itself, idk how much it would benefit.

Shattered Dreamer
09-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I really did like this game. I never got to finish it because I was playing it on my flat mates Xbox 360 & well we both moved out. Game play wise there was quite a bit wrong with this game to be fair. You couldn't choose exactly which attack you wanted which at times was quite annoying. Also I've never known a console game to lag & before some of the characters special attacks the game would noticeably lag for 5 or 6 seconds. The only part about the game play I enjoyed was the feeling of being in a large scale battle & commanding groups of troops. This was a welcome break from the traditional RPG formula.

Despite the failings in the game play the story is truly epic & keep me wanting more all the time. I'd take good story telling with mediocre game play any day over great play with bad story telling. This game is a decent rpg. 7/10 would be a fair rating.

NeoCracker
09-15-2009, 01:43 PM
The biggest problem with the game is they attempt to give you a more commander style control of the units, without actually giving you the feeling your commanding them. (Mind you though, I'm a massive Ogre Battle Fan, and that game pulled off that feeling amazingly well.)

Also, while the game looks pretty, the loading times are sub-par. Not terrible, but not really fast.

The characters also didn't interest me, though they didn't upset me either to be fair.

Overall, it really is just a mediocre game, which I can't bring myself to want to play more, likely because of how promising it looked, and how horridly let down I was.