PDA

View Full Version : Persona 4: Be Your True Mind

Wolf Kanno
12-01-2008, 09:39 AM
So Persona 4 comes out one December 9th in the U.S. Who else is looking forward to this wonderful sequel to the sleeper hit series?

I'm going to miss the shooting yourself in the head to summon your Persona but the other features look promising like the expanded Social Link system that allows you to have a link with all your party members and even choose with the girls if you want to be romantically involved or just be good friends.

I will probably miss the fact that your party members are no longer A.I. controlled cause it was beautifully done in P3 but I'm looking forward to the return of area specific dungeons as opposed to the one major dungeon of P3.

The soundtrack also sounds exceptional which is why I'm happy the game comes with it. :cool:

Slothy
12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
P4? Christ, I haven't even gotten around to beating P3 yet. I may get it for when I some day have the time to play through the whole thing, but I know how the next year looks as far as diving into long RPG's for me, and it's pretty bad. Add in the fact that I'm getting Valkyria Chronicles for Christmas and it's even worse.

The next year is going to suck for me as far as playing games.

Zeromus_X
12-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Actually you can choose to set them on AI or manually control them.

Anyways yeah, it's gonna be pretty awesome. I'm considering buying the "Social Link Expansion Pack" because it contains a stuffed Teddie.

Momiji
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
I dunno yet. I never did get even halfway through P3FES.

Markus. D
12-01-2008, 12:57 PM
If I have missed FES, will I miss alot of the PIV plot?

I haven't really played any but right through P3

Tasura
12-01-2008, 01:49 PM
I still have to get FES, and about a dozen other games when I get money =/. And right now I'm waiting for my Imagine beta invite.

Gilghamut
12-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to it, and already got my copy pre-ordered. It got reviewed in Play magazine, and the guy thought it was better than P3.

LunarWeaver
12-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I might have Gamefly send it to me. P3 was too long for me, but I still pushed forward and beat it without taking any breaks. That surely means something. It was a fun game and all.

Wolf Kanno
12-01-2008, 06:13 PM

Anyways yeah, it's gonna be pretty awesome. I'm considering buying the "Social Link Expansion Pack" because it contains a stuffed Teddie.

I had not heard about the option to switch control. Also, this is the first I've heard of the "Social Link Expansion" care to elaborate?

If I have missed FES, will I miss alot of the PIV plot?

I haven't really played any but right through P3

Though P4 takes place in the same world (you even get to visit a few locations from P3) they are not directly connected. So you should be safe. :D

I still need to pre-order cause even though I have no money, I'm planning on getting a relative to pick it up for me for Christmas. I just need to get the pre-order so I get all the extra goodies. Lately Atlus has really been awesome with their packaging and pre-orders. :cool:

Depression Moon
12-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Hmm, since I read the review on Persona 3 I think I might get it, but if all the games aren't seperate entities like FF, then I think I'll have to start with the first. I can't believe they're still making games for the PS2.

Wolf Kanno
12-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Hmm, since I read the review on Persona 3 I think I might get it, but if all the games aren't seperate entities like FF, then I think I'll have to start with the first. I can't believe they're still making games for the PS2.

The games are loosely connected. Its strongly suggested that all the games take place in the same world though P2 causes a few debates on this. Yet they are not connected to the point where you need to play previous installments (once again P2 is an exception). Overall, each game might as well be separate worlds.

As for it being made on the PS2, it makes me happy to see this cause it means I can play it. It also allowed them to release it faster cause it would have probably taken a few years to remake the game mechanics for the next-gen hardware.

Vermachtnis
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I got it preordered and paid it off a couple months ago. I can't wait. The waiting is unbearable. And like I told my friend, I should probably stop watching the opening expecting the ninth come faster xD. I'm just beary excited about it. And I love the new battle theme. And what's the Social Link expansion pack, cause that stuffed Teddie sounds beary awesome.

Dreddz
12-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm going to wait for reviews to see if Ill pick Persona 4 up. I liked a lot of things about Persona 3 but they were balanced out by a lot of things I hated. For one I hope Persona 4 has multiply dungeons rather than just one. And I hope they ease down on the j-pop, there is only so much of that stuff I can stomach.

JKTrix
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
P4 does have multiple dungeons. That was definitely the main 'negative' of P3 for me. As for the JPop, impressions I've managed to absorb say the soundtrack is much better. Still J-pop, but there are more songs. Part of the whole '1 dungeon' thing in P3 meant that there was 1 main 'dungeon/battle' song :P the multiple dungeons in P4 have multiple songs.

Preordered a while back to get the artbook, though the game is likely to go into my immediate backlog.

scrumpleberry
12-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Never played any, but they've got great music.

Zeromus_X
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM

I had not heard about the option to switch control. Also, this is the first I've heard of the "Social Link Expansion" care to elaborate?

The Expansion thing is some Amazon-only swag pack that contains a t-shirt, calendar, soundtrack, and so forth. But most importantly it contains an adorable stuffed Teddie.

Edit: Apparently it's been sold out? And I've been waiting all this time...no stuffed Teddie for me. =/

P4 does have multiple dungeons.

It does multiple dungeons but they're all selectable from a central hub just like the blocks of Tartarus, so even though they all have different music they're still the same basic layout but with a different "skin".

Though I actually liked Tartarus and it's trippy backgrounds, it was like going deeper into the subconscious as you climbed.

Jessweeee♪
12-02-2008, 01:37 AM
I wanted to play Persona 3, but I never got around to it :\

...maybe after Christmas rolls around I'll pick it up.

JKTrix
12-03-2008, 01:35 PM
SMT Fans:

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online Client - FileFront.com (http://files.filefront.com/Shin+Megami+Tensei+Imagine+Online+Client/;12521810;/fileinfo.html)

Pay attention to the 'key' it gives you at the top of the page.

qwertysaur
12-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Yay

Vermachtnis
12-03-2008, 05:19 PM
SMT Fans:

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online Client - FileFront.com (http://files.filefront.com/Shin+Megami+Tensei+Imagine+Online+Client/;12521810;/fileinfo.html)

Pay attention to the 'key' it gives you at the top of the page.

I completely forgot that was being launched. Now does that key let us in the Beta testing or do will still need to go to their frontsite and sign up?

JKTrix
12-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm really not sure :P I'd already been signed up with Aeria Games so I didn't need to use any kind of key (in fact I downloaded it directly from their site), the FileFront link is the only one that mentions a key.

I really presented it as a bonus :p if there's gonna be more discussion about it outside of P4, someone can make a new thread about it. Don't wait for me.

Montoya
12-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I barely got FES a week ago. :p It was the first game I had bought in almost a year.

Maybe I'll get Persona 4 in two years...hopefully.

Tasura
12-04-2008, 10:20 PM
The key is pretty pointless, it isn't really needed, hell, I was playing for 2 days before I even got the beta invite, I think Aeria dropped the ball and is letting almost anyone in if you just try and sign in, there's been a whole lot of people doing it, but if they do clamp down, the CB is scheduled to last a month xD.

JKTrix
12-05-2008, 11:25 PM
http://i34.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/rvvoco.jpg
Destructoid also posted a 10/10 review about an hour ago.

I gotta say, I'm definitely a fan of the series and expected it to be good, but these high scores were unexpected.

LunarWeaver
12-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Yeah, the reviews have been so high. I can't believe 1up gave it an A+.

I've been jonesing for a new RPG anyway, so I'm pretty sure I'll have Gamefly send me this. 100 hours of Mabufu and sexy glasses. I wish the battle narration was gone, but I'll get over it.

Momiji
12-05-2008, 11:40 PM
I can't get the beta to install. Something about a NSIS error or something...

Tasura
12-06-2008, 04:45 AM

Mt friend also had that problem, where are you downloading from?

JKTrix
12-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Get.

I like how the first page of the artbook gives you a spoiler warning :P I guess I'll have to seal that away for a bit.

Momiji
12-09-2008, 10:42 PM

Mt friend also had that problem, where are you downloading from?

I downloaded it both from the link Trix linked to, and the MegaTen MMO website.

Vermachtnis
12-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Get.

I like how the first page of the artbook gives you a spoiler warning :P I guess I'll have to seal that away for a bit.

Yea didn't stop me from glancing through it though :p. Didn't read any of the text though.

Anyway I like that we can control the team mates now. I am a little curious about the warning Igor gives us about dieing not being the only way to get a game over. I'm so tempted to not finish the mission to see what happens.

Markus. D
12-10-2008, 12:02 AM
How's the MMO going?

It looks wonderful :3!

JKTrix
12-10-2008, 05:42 AM
I flipped through it a bit too, and got spoiled on something related to Teddie :P Ah well.

As for other ways to 'game over', it has to do with not 'saving' people in time. I got up to the 'Yukiko' boss fight (after the 'Chie' fight), but this was on the very first day I could get to it so I wasn't really prepared. All my guys were low on SP and i didn't have any SP recovery items left, so I'm gonna go back to it later. I just have to do it before the fog rises in the real world, which apparently only happens when it rains (not exactly when the forecast shows clouds...only after rain).

LunarWeaver
02-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Well, I'm towards the end. 57 hours says my clock. It really is a good game. It's similar to 3, but I feel they tweaked enough that it's superior. I felt I had more to do, and the plot points come closer together.

It sorta sucks one of my favorite characters got the light/dark skills. Makes him pretty useless against bosses and his SP cost isn't too wonderful for regular battles either. But who needs tactical reasons when you have a sexy ass hat going on.

I like that social links with your party members are highly encouraged. Makes me feel snuggly with them. But furthering Naoto's crappiness, you need a max characteristic to start a social link with him for who knows why, putting him at yet more disadvantage (they get battle bonuses as their links go up).

I must say this is one of few RPGs I actually use Guard, and rather frequently at times. It blocks their weak element for one time and saves me some trouble.

JKTrix
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
It sorta sucks one of my favorite characters got the light/dark skills. Makes him pretty useless against bosses and his SP cost isn't too wonderful for regular battles either. But who needs tactical reasons when you have a sexy ass hat going on.

I like that social links with your party members are highly encouraged. Makes me feel snuggly with them. But furthering Naoto's crappiness, you need a max characteristic to start a social link with him, putting him at yet more disadvantage (they get battle bonuses as their links go up).

Just sayin'.

Considering his secret, it makes sense that it takes more effort to get a social link with Naoto.

I agree though, while absolutely rockin' in the dungeons, Naoto isn't nearly as useful against most bosses.

LunarWeaver
02-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Aww, don't go giving anything away :p

It's true. It does make enough sense within the game that I must forgive the required Courage in the end. Oh well.

He is pretty good in dungeons... It's just his SP runs out so fast. But really, it's not that big of a problem if you space it out properly. You just can't go using Megido constantly or anything. Plus, they did give him some good physical attacks that don't take SP anyway. And he not only nuls light and dark, he's not weak to any other element either. I really shouldn't complain about him, blah.

Oh, and I love the inclusion of part-time jobs. Mm, link + money. Yen runs out pretty fast in this game, so it's nice. You know, this game taught me 1 yen costs 2 yen to make. That's funny to me :jess:

Dreddz
02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm going through the game myself although I'm only 10 hours in (I'm currently at the bathhouse). Pretty much every problem I had with Persona 3 has been fixed. The direct control over all the party members is welcome and the fact that your not always stuck in one dungeon is also a plus.

The story is also very well done in my opinion. Although I already think I know who is behind the murders There is a creepy kid near the beginning of the game who asks out Yukiko and disappears after. I'm sure he'll turn up later in the game.

The only thing that puts me down is that I know I have a long way to go till the end of the game. Considering everything I want to play in the near future (and a few games I already own) I really wish this game would pace itself like Valkyria Chronicles and be done at the 20-25 hour mark. From what I am hearing this is going to last up to 60 hours. Oh boy.

LunarWeaver
02-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Spoilers for the identity of the killer: I was right about the killer being Adachi. I feel accomplished. That is all.

Dreddz
02-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Why did I have to read that.

Wolf Kanno
02-08-2009, 06:31 PM
The funny thing about all this, I'm the one who started this thread and I still haven't started P4. I'm still trying to finish up FES: The Journey. I haven't even started on The Answer. Ooh boy... Come to think of it, I never started P1 either...:(

LunarWeaver
02-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Sorry, Dreddz :(

So, I can't play this game anymore. I'm at the very end, but I can't do it. Games should not be almost 70 hours long. I haven't done any grinding of any kind either. It lasted that long and I've gone through it as fast as possible. There should be some kind of 35 hour cap on everything. I'm an old fogey these days if that's what I'm asking for. I really liked the game and all, but the enjoyment is just gone now. And I'm at the end! How silly is that?

Time to watch the end on YouTube :count:

Zeromus_X
02-13-2009, 06:40 AM
So, I can't play this game anymore. I'm at the very end, but I can't do it. Games should not be almost 70 hours long. I haven't done any grinding of any kind either. It lasted that long and I've gone through it as fast as possible. There should be some kind of 35 hour cap on everything. I'm an old fogey these days if that's what I'm asking for. I really liked the game and all, but the enjoyment is just gone now. And I'm at the end! How silly is that?

I actually love how long Atlus makes these games since I love playing games for a long time, just to get my money's worth, you know?

But yeah the story does get kind of wonky near the end...Giant Space Flea from nowhere, sup? so it's understandable to lose a bit of motivation.

Wolf Kanno
02-13-2009, 08:29 AM
As long as I don't feel like I'm doing tedious things, I generally like long games. Many of my favorite RPGs are in the area of being completed at 65 to 80 hours minimum.

If the story is involving and the combat stays fresh I'm good. Oddly enough the few people I've talked to about P4 have giving me the impression its a bit shorter than P3

Dreddz
02-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Sorry, Dreddz :(

Why are you apologizing? I'm the idiot for reading the spoiler. Although I think its quite interesting playing the game knowing that information believe it or not.

As for P4 being too long......well I agree. I enjoy long games such as Final Fantasy but one thing about those games is that your always heading to new locations and doing new things. In Persona 4 your still in the same house at the same high school and doing the same things. Its fun but I don't think it can quite hold up for 60+ hours. I personally think the story saved Persona 4, without that I would have given up at the 10 hour mark.

LunarWeaver
02-13-2009, 08:38 PM
I actually love how long Atlus makes these games since I love playing games for a long time, just to get my money's worth, you know?

I used to feel this way. The longer the better way back when. I guess I ran out of patience, or ... something. I also used to do everything in games, especially RPGs. All that secret :skull::skull::skull::skull:, all the collecting stuff, getting the best weapons, beating the super-hard-way-harder-than-the-actual-final-boss-bosses. I did it for all of them. Now I just play through it, pack it away and never piss with it again. Sigh =(