PDA

View Full Version : New Jobs

Bahamut2000X
12-02-2008, 05:39 AM
So I'm playing through the GBA version and just reached the point of obtaining the new jobs and have played with them a little bit.

So far I must say I'm not overly impressed. While visually they look nice, they are a bit lacking somewhat.

Gladiators look awesome and their wide array of weapons is nice, but Finisher is far too unpredictable to be very useful. While they have a good array of weapons, their too much of a Knight but with apparently weaker stats from what I've gathered.

Oracle is beyond useless, with abilities that all have timers and need to go off before they get used. It might be useful for boss fights, but for random battles that end so fast it's useless. On the plus side having doom is always fun.

Canonneer is kinda cool, but nothing special. Open Fire is nifty to see, and can do some decent damage, but it's better to just turn em into a Knight and give em a sword or make em a Black Mage and nuke for far better damage.

I have yet to get Necromancer though so no comments on that.

So how about others. What's your thoughts on the new jobs they added in?

Zeromus_X
12-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Gladiator can become broken with a little luck (it does 9999 damage if the character hits something that doesn't absorb their element with a critical iirc). It's pretty nice before you get Rapid Fire/Dual Wield/Spellblade.

I love Oracle, just for their Read Ahead which practically gets rid of random encounters.

I never really used Cannoneer, since Chemists were already useful enough.

Necromancer is awesome but by the time you can obtain it becomes Awesome But Impractical.

KoShiatar
12-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Hum, I'm not at that point yet. Are they missable?

Zeromus_X
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
They're not missable as far as I know, you can get Oracle, Gladiator, and Cannoneer right after collecting all 12 of the sealed weapons if I remember correctly. For Necromancer you have to clear the bonus dungeon and the boss rush.

KoShiatar
12-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Hummm, good. Do you still have to master them to get the Mime?

Wolf Kanno
12-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Mime is in the Sunken Tower where the water crystal was. Use the Submarine. Also, you only need to finish the Sealed Temple (Optional dungeon) to get Necromancer.

Overall, I don't care for the new classes Outside of a few useful abilites Cannoneer and Oracle are pretty useless. Even Gladiator is just a glorified Knight with some better offense abilities. Necromancer is pretty brutal if you get all their spells (most of the enemies needed are in the Sealed Temple actually) but like Zeromus_X said, its very impractical by the time you acquire it.

The same goes for the other classes. If you got the other three around the time you went to Galuf's world, you might have gotten better use from them.

Bahamut2000X
12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I found bladeblitz particularly useful in the final fight. Beyond that and read ahead and the abs/exp up abilities the jobs weren't all that useful.

Roogle
12-10-2008, 08:05 PM
I love the concept of the Oracle job class. I think it has the potential to carry over into other games that use the job system and I liked its Read Ahead ability to avoid random encounters.

When I play Final Fantasy V, I like to change the entire party to a single class and play a few battles or a dungeon like that and doing this with the Oracle job class was pretty fun since they have very good statistics for magic casting.

KoShiatar
12-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Where's the sealed temple? Also, what's with the doors in the crevasse on the bottom of the sea where you get the first three additional jobs? I can't seem to open them.

Bahamut2000X
12-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Sealed Temple as in the one with the 12 legendary weapons? If so as I recall it was on the more north part of the world, by a tiny lake. I don't remember specifically, I just ran around till I flew over head. >.>

And those doors can't be opened till after X-Death is beaten. It's the bonus dungeon.

Markus. D
12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I like the Gladiator.

and the Necromancer~

Levian
12-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Gladiator and its Finisher really helped on some bosses near the end of the game. The others I haven't really used any at all. Necromancer I haven't even gotten.