PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 2

Prisonic Fairytale
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
I bought this game last week again, after owning and selling it a few years ago. And I forgot how much I love it! Never again will I be without it. What do you think about Silent Hill 2? What Silent Hills do you own (if any.) And what is your favorite?

I own all of them including "Origins" and "The Silent Hill Experience" for PSP. My favorite is SH 2.

Dreddz
12-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I own every Silent Hill except Silent Hill 5 which I plan to eventually get. I agree with you that Silent Hill 2 was the peak of the series.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Silent Hill 3 is the scariest in the series. I remember when your in the apartment block at the beginning of Silent Hill 2 and you can see Pyramid Head behind some metals bars all illuminated in red just staring at you. I swear to god that has to be the creepiest thing in the entire series.

I Don't Need A Name
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I got it a few months ago (first i got) and its awesome. i love it. pyramid head rules xD

Prisonic Fairytale
12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I own every Silent Hill except Silent Hill 5 which I plan to eventually get. I agree with you that Silent Hill 2 was the peak of the series.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Silent Hill 3 is the scariest in the series. I remember when your in the apartment block at the beginning of Silent Hill 2 and you can see Pyramid Head behind some metals bars all illuminated in red just staring at you. I swear to god that has to be the creepiest thing in the entire series.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I don't have Silent Hill 5 yet, but only because I don't have a Playstation 3.

Markus. D
12-03-2008, 06:28 AM
I absolutely adore it.

Great OST especially, Morbid Nurse is like, brilliant X_X!

I think when I saw Pyramid Head for the first time I was rather freaked out... but when he strolls behind you all of a sudden in the Labrynth (Music change too!) is pretty much when I was distraught and etc.

I feel Origins and IV are the scariest... I've seen anyways...

Prisonic Fairytale
12-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I also consider Origins to be the scariest. Not quite sure they though. I think it has something to do with the fact that the game seems to be set up in a way that you need to run from the monsters more than in any of the other games. Less item pickups, more dangerous monsters and a winder open spaces. I think this relates to the fact that Travis seems to be running from his problems rather than facing them. This seems to be supported by the fact, among many other facts, that he is a trucker. Anyway, I have always found it more freighting to be chased by something than to face it head on.

Dreddz
12-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Origins was definitely not the scariest. It was basically just rehashing the previous games and had very few original ideas. When it feels like you've done something a million times before it becomes a lot less frightening. I found Origins fairly easy as well.

Silent Hill 3 had the "survival" part in survival horror done right. Way too little ammunition considering that an entire clip would sometimes not be able to take down a creature. Quite a contrast to Silent Hill 2 considering they gave you far too many health kits and ammo in that game.

LunarWeaver
12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I love these games, but I cannot stand Origins. That game made me strangle seagulls.

2 is also my favorite. 3 is behind it, mostly because of nostalgia. The games aren't exactly wonderful to play. Homecoming is far from perfect, but I consider it a step in the right direction gameplay-wise (but not as far as story goes -- it was kinda horrible). Although behind 2, I think The Room had the second best story. I've only played it once, though. Something about that one screams "Enjoy once only."

Dreddz
12-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Silent Hill 4 took a step back in a lot of things but I think most fans of the series can agree it has one of, if not the best story of the series. I like how they took a small insignificant character from Silent Hill 2 and built a game around them. I actually didn't know they referenced the character until I replayed Silent Hill 2.

Montoya
12-03-2008, 10:27 PM
I only own Silent Hill 4 because my cousin let me borrow it and he never took it back. I played the game for a good while but then I never got to finish it.

I remember back when I was nine I would go over to my neighbor's house and watch him play Silent Hill 1. Just seeing was enough for the game to give me nightmares. I think that game is the scariest probably because I was younger.

I still like the story of the series though.

Prisonic Fairytale
12-03-2008, 10:47 PM
I like how they took a small insignificant character from Silent Hill 2 and built a game around them. I actually didn't know they did referenced the character until I replayed Silent Hill 2.

And then there is this:

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/04/SH2.jpg

Dreddz
12-04-2008, 12:33 PM
I like how they took a small insignificant character from Silent Hill 2 and built a game around them. I actually didn't know they did referenced the character until I replayed Silent Hill 2.

And then there is this:

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/04/SH2.jpg
That. Is. Awesome. Where about exactly in the game is that? The Apartment Blocks?

Markus. D
12-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Ah! It's in a couple of SH games right?

Sorta like an SH easter egg?

VorpalCyberWolf
12-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Interestingly enough I have Silent Hill 1,3 and 4. I just haven't been able to find 2 (With manual and box-art) for awhile. I have only played 1 and 3, and enjoyed them both. I heard 4 really isn't that great, so I have been putting it off for awhile with so much more to play.

Prisonic Fairytale
12-04-2008, 03:27 PM
That. Is. Awesome. Where about exactly in the game is that? The Apartment Blocks?

I can't quite remember where in town it is.. But I remember that it is like a one room shop or something and there isn't much to do there, other then grab a few supplies if I remember correctly. ;)

Moon Rabbits
12-04-2008, 08:32 PM

I can't quite remember where in town it is.. But I remember that it is like a one room shop or something and there isn't much to do there, other then grab a few supplies if I remember correctly. ;)

I'm pretty sure that's the room that you find the newspaper article that references Walter in it, too. But yeah, it's just some random house / store thing you can go into.

I still haven't finished playing 1, but I know the ins and out of the story and I think it's one of the strongest in the series. I really like 2 for it's originality in character design (and the enemies being representative of certain aspects of James' mental state), Angela is one of my all time favorite video game characters of all time ever ever ever.

Silent Hill 3 is probably my favorite, though. I don't really have a reason for this, actually. I prefer SH2's characters and monsters, and I don't even think SH3's story is particularly mind blowing ... but something about it just keeps me from saying that any other installment of the series is my favorite.

SH4 was my least favorite (albeit I didn't play too too much of SH5). I had no interest in Henry (or Eileen) and I thought the jumping from location to location via the holes really removed from the overall atmosphere. In fact, anything to do with The Room really turned me off ... I hated having to go back there. The ghosts creeped the smurf out of me, though.

As for SH5, it definitely has the best to offer gameplay wise. I never beat it, so I don't know too much about the story. The monsters in SH5 are pretty damned cool, too. Especially the Siam (I probably like Siam just because of how much it reminds me of the Closers, which, incidentally, are the best creatures ever invented).

SH1 has my favorite OST. My Heaven (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d-XclHyb7I) is so smurfING. AWESOME.

LunarWeaver
12-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Silent Hill 4 took a step back in a lot of things but I think most fans of the series can agree it has one of, if not the best story of the series.

Yeah, I can agree. It really did step back in everything but plot. I promote change in games almost always, but The Room was a rare case where I would have preferred they rehashed what they did in the first 3 games. Change is only good if the team does it well. I'm sure the fact it didn't start out as a SH game contributed to that, though. Henry being rather boring didn't help either, but I almost consider Walter the main character if only because he is controlling Silent Hill's psychological effects.

I remember that hole room in 2! Sadly, I never tied the two together until now. That's cool.

Kelly, you need to beat Homecoming! About 80% of the story is stuffed into the very end. It's not totally a bad story, just not up to par for this series. But it doesn't make much sense. I don't mean you need to interpret things (it's straightforward actually), but rather the kind of plot where the more you think about it the more you realize it's illogical.

And my favorite song is Room of Angel. Akira sure knows how to put together a soundtrack. I really like One More Soul to the Call from Homecoming as well.

Moon Rabbits
12-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Henry being rather boring didn't help either, but I almost consider Walter the main character if only because he is controlling Silent Hill's psychological effects.

I agree with this. That's always the impression that I got from that game, actually. I thought that Walter was the focus of the game and Henry was just a way to tell the story to the player.

Kelly, you need to beat Homecoming! About 80% of the story is stuffed into the very end. It's not totally a bad story, just not up to par for this series. But it doesn't make much sense. I don't mean you need to interpret things (it's straightforward actually), but rather the kind of plot where the more you think about it the more you realize it's illogical.

And my favorite song is Room of Angel. Akira sure knows how to put together a soundtrack. I really like One More Soul to the Call from Homecoming as well.

I remember that I actually know how SH5 ends because I got my friend to explain it to me after he beat it. Something like Alex actually killed Joshua and is really just crazy. Now that I think about it, what I did see of SH5's story and characters I didn't like all too much. I liked Alex's mom, though, she was cool. I was really hoping it would actually be some giant conspiracy and SH5 was a strange sequel to SH2 because the main character had James' last name but it isn't :(

Room of Angel is such a creepy song. Akira Yamaoka is mad talented, I really like his DDR / non-video game music stuff too.

Nifleheim7
12-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Silent Hill 3 was the last game in the series that i loved (SH2 is also my favourite.)
Everything after that went completely wrong...SH4 was a step back in ALL directions (including the story imo),Origins just didn't felt like SH at all,and don't even get me started about the movie...Also Homecoming "Americanized" the game to the extent that it was even painful to watch it from youtube.And before anyone says that the series was always based on American themes,yes it was but what made it unique for me was the combination of those themes with the Japanese perspective on horror.

Oh well,hooray for Forbidden Siren.:)

krissy
12-06-2008, 07:04 PM
whao back it up
akira does ddr music?

i'm gonna have to research this

anyway yeah sh is great glad we all agree

Moon Rabbits
12-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Silent Hill 3 was the last game in the series that i loved (SH2 is also my favourite.)
Everything after that went completely wrong...SH4 was a step back in ALL directions (including the story imo),Origins just didn't felt like SH at all,and don't even get me started about the movie...Also Homecoming "Americanized" the game to the extent that it was even painful to watch it from youtube.And before anyone says that the series was always based on American themes,yes it was but what made it unique for me was the combination of those themes with the Japanese perspective on horror.

Oh well,hooray for Forbidden Siren.:)

I don't think 4 was quite THAT bad. The combat and controls were (more or less) the same as they had been in 1, 2, and 3 - the gameplay did have some weaker parts (the whole "room" first-person thing) but I definitely think that SH4 was a good effort. Don't know what you're getting at with the story, I really like Walter's story (the game is about him, after all, not Henry). The sound design was still very Akira Yamaoka-goodness; the OST from SH4 is classic (Wounded Warsong, Traversing the Portals of Reality, Into the Depths of Self Discovery, Tender Sugar, Fortunate Sleep, Suicidal Clock Chime ...)